Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #301
miami_fan
Coordinator

You must have been playing this Grantland article

NHL Grab Bag: Should We Hate Sidney Crosby? - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

Quote:
This Week’s Debate: Should we hate Sidney Crosby?

In Favor: Oh man, I am so sick of that guy. Can’t stand him.

Opposed: Why? He’s the best player in the league. I’ve never understood why so many fans dislike him.

In Favor: It’s not a question of his talent. But it’s all the stuff that goes with it. He’s such a whiner. Always complaining and crying. And don’t get me started on the diving!

Opposed: Everyone says that, but is it really true? I mean sure, he complains about calls sometimes. And he’s embellished to draw a call or two, especially when he was younger. But which star player in this league doesn’t do that stuff?

In Favor: Oh come on, Crosby does it way more than the average player.

Opposed: Does he? Or does it seem that way because the cameras are always on him?

In Favor: But that’s another problem. He gets shoved down our throats all the time. Every NHL broadcast is “Sid this” and “Sid that," whether he’s even playing or not. He’s in every ad. His face is on every product. He’s completely overexposed.

Opposed: Well, that’s not his fault. He can’t control how the NHL markets him.

In Favor: Sure he can. He doesn’t have to say yes to every feature, interview, and commercial he gets asked to do.

Opposed: But isn’t that what we wanted from him? Think back a few years to when he was drafted. Coming out of the 2005 lockout, the NHL was desperate for a player to emerge as the new face of the league. Crosby had a ton of demands dumped on him, and he’s seemed willing to meet all of them. And now we rip him for that?

In Favor: He’s not the only good player in the league. Share the spotlight a little.

Opposed: I agree, it would be great if the NHL could market their stars better. Other leagues do a great job of that, while the NHL can’t seem to break through with anybody other than Crosby. But again, that’s not his fault.

In Favor: I just wish they’d pick a guy who isn’t constantly acting like such a punk.

Opposed: He is?

In Favor: Sure he is. Seriously, look at that scrum from Game 1 where he goes after Chara. He looked ridiculous. You can’t defend that.

Opposed: I don’t know. It seems like when other stars get mixed up in that kind of stuff, we love it. We talk about how fiery and competitive they are and how they’re leading by example. But when it’s Crosby, somehow he’s being a baby?

In Favor: He’s not a tough guy. When things get heated, he should get out of the way.

Opposed: And then we’d complain about his teammates having to fight his battles for him. He can’t win. No matter what he does, some idiot somewhere is calling him “Cindy."

In Favor: The “Cindy” stuff is stupid, I’ll grant you that. But not everyone stoops to that level.

Opposed: Sometimes it seems like everyone.

In Favor: OK, so why do you think so many fans rip him? You said yourself that this is a pretty widespread feeling in the hockey world. Can everyone be wrong?

Opposed: Maybe not. But I can’t shake the feeling that fans are just tired of seeing him light their teams up. He’s a great player, the Penguins are a great team, and fans get tired of losing to them. So they find a reason to hate the guy, and then they see him play often enough that confirmation bias kicks in.

In Favor: That’s a pretty convoluted explanation. I’d rather go with “the fans are right.”

Opposed: Maybe. It just all seems like overkill, especially since, by all accounts, he’s a perfectly nice guy. Young fans love him, and he seems to go out of his way to accommodate them. Heck, he’s probably signed more autographs than any player since Wayne Gretzky.

In Favor: Whoa. Don’t even make that comparison. Gretzky was pure class.

Opposed: You say that now. But when Gretzky played, plenty of fans said all the same things about him. He whined, he dove, he was overexposed. A lot of us didn’t realize what we had until he’d been gone for a while.

In Favor: And maybe we’ll feel the same way about Crosby one day. But not now.

Opposed: Our loss.

The Final Verdict: Sidney Crosby is guilty as charged when it comes to a lot of what he gets accused of. But so are most players, and nobody notices because we’re all too busy complaining about Crosby. This stuff is getting old, and it’s time for fans to back off and appreciate the opportunity to watch the best player of his generation while he’s in his prime.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #302
Blackadar
Retired

I don't get the anti-Sid stuff either. The Kid is enormously talented, plays his ass off and performs. He seems like a genuinely decent guy. So I root for him unless he's playing against my team.

Which he just did for the last 4 games.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #303
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Boris. Valabik.

I'm pretty sure I despise Crosby more than the rest of the NHL players combined, one of the very few players in any sport where a CEI would be more likely to elicit a giggle from me than any other reaction.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #304
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I figured it had more to do with envy/jealousy than anything else.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #305
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I don't get the anti-Sid stuff either. The Kid is enormously talented, plays his ass off and performs. He seems like a genuinely decent guy. So I root for him unless he's playing against my team.

Me too.. I love watching him play.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #306
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I made the 'hate him because he's good and destroys my team' mistake with Gretzky; I won't do it again with Crosby.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #307
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The ref just sh*t the bed there and it could very well end the series.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #308
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I made the 'hate him because he's good and destroys my team' mistake with Gretzky; I won't do it again with Crosby.

With Crosby it's easy, hate him because he's a whiney little p*ssy.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #310
hoopsguy
General Manager

I know Crosby is a fascinating topic, but not one post on the Kings/Hawks game? Seriously?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #311
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I know Crosby is a fascinating topic, but not one post on the Kings/Hawks game? Seriously?

Hey, I posted twice about it.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #312
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If the Kings win this game I see this series going 7. Here's hoping for a 7 game Kings win streak.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #313
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Hey, I posted twice about it.

I'm gratified to see one FOFC poster that is watching the West playoff games.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #314
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm gratified to see one FOFC poster that is watching the West playoff games.

Two.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #315
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm truly hoping, though, if the Hawks go through, I get the owner of my company's tickets for a game. On the ice, right next to none other than John Cusak.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #316
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im watching
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #317
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'm watching. Just don't really care enough to comment all that much.

Definitely missed a trip on the Blackhawks 3rd goal. It was pretty blatant and very similar to a missed call that led to a Anaheim goal in the Ducks/Wings first round series.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #318
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

On the Sid stuff...

If 99 played now, I could only imagine what would be said.

I truly believe a bit of it is confirmation bias. I don't like him, so when he does something, I have to find something wrong with it, so I can continue to not like him.

All captains talk to officials. Plenty of other players without letters do too. Somehow, people are perceptive enough to pick up when their guy is merely discussing the play, Crosby is crying.

Sure, there have been guys in history who didn't. Lidstrom and Sakic are the first two that come to mind. There's also Messier, young Yzerman, Mario, Gretzky, on and on and on.

This year alone...blanking on the exact game vs DET (game 5?) where he took 3 minors, back to back to back, in the 1st period. By the 3rd one, it was shitting a brick. But that must have been "leading", and not "whining".

This in particular from Flyers fans always gets me.

Quote:
With Crosby it's easy, hate him because he's a whiney little p*ssy.

Rewind to 2009, regular season. Mike Richards, noted leader, ran Marc Andre Fleury, then laid in the crease, faking an injury, so nobody would beat his ass. Anyone who believes that is a leader, their opinion of Crosby is pretty much invalid.

What really sucks...times like right now, when he should be getting called out for his terrible play, it's still all about his attitude/whining/lack of leadership.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #319
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Better send him a whole flock of crows...he's a big boy.

He's lost like 60+ pounds...and you can't even tell!

He's such a hack. After the series ended, he still talked about Malkin not doing enough. He'll never, ever criticize two people in his life: Crosby and Lemieux.

Malkin was, by far, the best skater for Pittsburgh, particularly games 3 and 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Jagr eliminates the Pens for the 2nd year in a row.

That was cheating in game 3 though. After 95+ minutes, everyone else was skating as fast as him

He wasn't very noticeable most of the series, though he didn't need to be.

Next up for him...whoever offers him $1 more than the other guy next year.

B's fans....congrats.

No way did I see that ass kicking coming.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #320
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
On the Sid stuff...

If 99 played now, I could only imagine what would be said.

I truly believe a bit of it is confirmation bias. I don't like him, so when he does something, I have to find something wrong with it, so I can continue to not like him.

All captains talk to officials. Plenty of other players without letters do too. Somehow, people are perceptive enough to pick up when their guy is merely discussing the play, Crosby is crying.

Sure, there have been guys in history who didn't. Lidstrom and Sakic are the first two that come to mind. There's also Messier, young Yzerman, Mario, Gretzky, on and on and on.

This year alone...blanking on the exact game vs DET (game 5?) where he took 3 minors, back to back to back, in the 1st period. By the 3rd one, it was shitting a brick. But that must have been "leading", and not "whining".

This in particular from Flyers fans always gets me.

Rewind to 2009, regular season. Mike Richards, noted leader, ran Marc Andre Fleury, then laid in the crease, faking an injury, so nobody would beat his ass. Anyone who believes that is a leader, their opinion of Crosby is pretty much invalid.

What really sucks...times like right now, when he should be getting called out for his terrible play, it's still all about his attitude/whining/lack of leadership.

When did Richards become a noted leader? The last I remember he was a locker room cancer in Philly that got shipped out.

Less importantly and somewhat anecdotal-y, he pulled a bit of a bitch move last summer when he brought the Cup home to Kenora. He took it down to the harbor front and let people line up for pictures with him for a couple hours. At the allotted end time (2pm I think) he declared the event over, even though there were maybe 40 people only still remaining in line. Doesn't sound horrible yet, I mean, maybe kind of clueless, but perhaps defensible (time is up, after all). But then he proceeds to let the security and some other staff members do some quick photos while at the same time the remaining fans are being sent packing. My niece and nephew were about 5 people back when the deadline was called, and after waiting over an hour in line were told to go home by some guy who then immediately walked up and had his own photo taken. Kids were crying, Richards is smiling and doing photos with staff, and then he heads out.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #321
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
When did Richards become a noted leader? The last I remember he was a locker room cancer in Philly that got shipped out.

Less importantly and somewhat anecdotal-y, he pulled a bit of a bitch move last summer when he brought the Cup home to Kenora. He took it down to the harbor front and let people line up for pictures with him for a couple hours. At the allotted end time (2pm I think) he declared the event over, even though there were maybe 40 people only still remaining in line. Doesn't sound horrible yet, I mean, maybe kind of clueless, but perhaps defensible (time is up, after all). But then he proceeds to let the security and some other staff members do some quick photos while at the same time the remaining fans are being sent packing. My niece and nephew were about 5 people back when the deadline was called, and after waiting over an hour in line were told to go home by some guy who then immediately walked up and had his own photo taken. Kids were crying, Richards is smiling and doing photos with staff, and then he heads out.

Flyers fans loved him. He was the "anti-Crosby", which was strangely a good thing. New age Bobby Clarke.

Non-Flyer related: Reading Burmistrov might be on the way out. Send him to Pittsburgh please. We'll let you reunite former CB Screaming Eagles Pavalec and Fleury!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #322
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

Which he just did for the last 4 games.

"". People like to whine incessantly. Fat couch potatoes calling him "Cindy" as if its supposed to be anything but display their own basic immatuity.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #323
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Reading Burmistrov might be on the way out. Send him to Pittsburgh please. We'll let you reunite former CB Screaming Eagles Pavalec and Fleury!

Yeah I'm not sure what's happened with him. If anything he has regressed over his time in Winnipeg, and it seems that he's always in Noel's doghouse. I'm not sure if that is a fault of his or Noel's. A move is probably the best thing for all parties at this point, provided they can get something reasonable for him.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #324
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I don't care what side you're on, that's some top notch writing right there.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #325
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I don't care what side you're on, that's some top notch writing right there.

Truth.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #326
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dan Bylsma rewarded with a 2 year contract extension.

Very meh on this.

Also from Ray Shero's press conference, all assistants will return, except for goalie "coach" Gille Meloche, who basically sat around eating popcorn saying "Doing good Marc".

And Shero expects everyone under contract, including Fleury, to be back next year.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #327
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't really understand the Bylsma hate. How exactly was he supposed to overcome the fact that all his high priced stars (some of whom he was only given at the deadline) went cold for a series and the fact that he was forced to play his backup goaltender for the entire playoffs because his starter choked?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #328
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I don't really understand the Bylsma hate. How exactly was he supposed to overcome the fact that all his high priced stars (some of whom he was only given at the deadline) went cold for a series and the fact that he was forced to play his backup goaltender for the entire playoffs because his starter choked?

I don't even hate him. I just don't really understand him.

As part of his own post-season "State of the Union", he talked about Simon Depres being a top 4 D and Beau Bennett a top 6 forward. Except, they both were regularly scratched during the playoffs. He would never in a million years scratch a guy like Craig Adams, because he sees so much of himself in players like that. Tanner Glass provides zero to this team. It's not all about points, but there are other PK guys, or faceoff guys...they were scratched for sharpening their skates wrong, but 0-points Glass dressed every night.

I give him credit for turning Vokoun (though some might argue should have been done earlier than round 1, game 5), and riding him through the playoffs. And I credit him for making some adjustments. His normal response to a loss is "We didn't get to our game". At some point, it's not about your team not playing the way they want. Boston was countering that.

He adjusted for games 3 and 4, and it showed. They could have won either or both of those games.

It's more concerning that, since a Cup in 2009, the team has found more spectacular ways to lose in the playoffs each year.

2010 - Halak was hot, and the team was coming off back to back long playoff runs, but they folded vs Montreal

2011 - Crosby and Malkin both hurt, but they lead TB 3-1 in that series

2012 - the total cluster of a series vs Philly

2013 - after scoring eleventy billion goals in the first two rounds, they score 2 in about 14 periods.

I think coaches get too much blame for losing and too much praise for winning. But when you flameout every way imaginable, it might be time to move in a different direction.

They pretty much said "nothing's changing". Bylsma back. Granato and Reirden back as assistants. Fleury will be back.

I have a hard time comprehending Shero, and more importantly, Lemieux, looking at this and saying "It'll turn around eventually"
Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #329
bbor
Pro Starter

You really think Fluery is back?

I can't see how that is possible.Coach and team have no confidence in him at all or else he would have been back in between the pipes as soon as Vokoun lost a game.Now i am not blaming Vokoun at all...how can you when the team in front of you scores 2 goals in 4 games,but i think he HAS to go back to Fluery after Vokoun loses a game.

I would think Shero is looking to move him.

As much as Bylsma has an embarrassing amount of riches in so far as talent,i think he does a great job keeping all those players happy,which is a very tough job in itself.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #330
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Nice first period by Boston.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #331
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Better start to the second period!!!

LOOCH!!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #332
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Jagr just tripped Crawford down...how does he not get a penalty for that?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #333
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

That shouldn't be a penalty on McQuaid - if the opponent yanks their stick up and yours is on top and hits them in the face how is that your fault??

I don't get that rule - it's like when you used to grab your little brother's hand and use it to playfully punch him and then say "well he's punching himself."

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-12-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #334
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Fight's gonna break out by the end of this period.

Though this style suits the Bruins more than the Hawks.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #335
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

5 on 3, eh. COME ON.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #336
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

This has been a real fun game so far. Hope the series continues this way. Just real good hockey on both sides.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #337
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ugh - enough penalties Bruins. Jeez.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #338
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. As awful as the Hawks have been on penalties, wouldn't worry too much.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #339
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What a fucking RIP by Bergy...wow.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #340
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

shit turnover there Bruins...jeez
Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #341
hoopsguy
General Manager

Been an insane number of blocked shots by Bruins. Have outshot Bruins 33-20 and had at least 20 shots blocked.

Unreal action right now in this one.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #342
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ugh.

This has been a great, pretty even game, but I feel like if the B's lose it they will have let it slip away.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #343
tarcone
Coordinator

I was in Kankakee, IL (South of Chicago) last weekend. I wandered down to the bar in the hotel for some food and drink. The Chi/LA game was on and in OT. It was kind of fun being in that atmosphere. Even though I am not a fan of either team. I enjoyed the response.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #344
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Ugh.

This has been a great, pretty even game, but I feel like if the B's lose it they will have let it slip away.

Think you have to feel that way if you surrender a 3-1 third period lead.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #345
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Think you have to feel that way if you surrender a 3-1 third period lead.

Yeah.

Shitty turnover by the rookie and then that bad bounce off the skate. Other than that they've played very good.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #346
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Double OT
Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #347
hoopsguy
General Manager

Thought Kane was going to end it there. Damn.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #348
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Bruins are gassed. I'm resigned to the fact that they won't win this game...they gave it away. Booo.

They can't even get possession right now. And no Horton hurts.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-12-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #349
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Bruins are gassed. I'm resigned to the fact that they won't win this game...they gave it away. Booo.

They can't even get possession right now. And no Horton hurts.

I smell a reverse jinx.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #350
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I smell a reverse jinx.

Expect the worst so that you're pleasantly surprised by anything less, that's my general philosophy.