Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #301
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Naturally, Katon didn't have an issue with it. True Chelsea fan

I'm just pissed, because beating Chelsea in the second game of the season in a game where they were significantly better is just the kind of thing that Liverpool needed - instead Style's idiocy, and Chelsea's collection of
divers (Robben in general, ought to have an award named after him) means that they get a break where they sure as hell didn't deserve one.

Oh, I completely agree that it was a crap call. I just think, in the contexy of your winner last week as well as various Liverpool matches from earlier seasons, that seeing it happen to Liverpool in particular is also extremely funny. I'd think that even if the call had gone to some other team (well, mostly - after the CL semifinal goal that never was, it being against Chelsea in particular does add a little something).

Needless to say, I completely disagree with the rest of your post. In no particular order:

- The penalty wasn't a dive (not that you specifically said it was; just pointing this out as a leadup to the next item). Malouda hopped over the ball to let it run to Drogba and nobody on the Chelsea team was even considering appealing for a foul until Styles gave it.

- Yes, Robben dives far too often for my liking. The same Robben who hasn't played all season and may well be on his way to Real Madrid. If we have a "collection of divers", shouldn't there be a regular diver who actually plays consistently? Drogba, to his credit, largely cut the diving out of his game near the end of his second season, and Malouda - in spite of his performance at the World Cup Final - hasn't done anything yet. Given some of Torres' antics Sunday and Steven Gerrard's past history, I'd argue that you had more divers playing than we did.

- Liverpool had most of the possession and territory over the game, yes, but if you look at the actual chances both teams had then it's pretty even - and that's leaving out the penalty that never was. If you're significantly better, you should be creating significantly more good chances. That didn't happen. Meanwhile, Chelsea did do quite a bit of work to equalize, even if that work was completely unrelated to how the actual equalizer came. For fifteen minutes after halftime, Chelsea were pressing consistently and set up a number of good chances to equalize. Then Styles handed us the equalizer and we became a bit more cautious again. If Styles had made the right call there, we just would have kept attacking and more likely than not would have scored. Actually, if he lets the play run then Drogba would be in possession in a decent amount of space near the corner of your area, and that's a dangerous situation for the defence. Not an immediate opportunity, but there's a real chance of something coming out of Drogba in that position. So a draw really was not a particularly outrageous result for the match, even if the way of getting there was absurd.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:24 AM   #302
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Not everybody was stunned, the report on the Chelsea website says it was a penalty

"But then play switched to the other end and Finnan injudiciously slammed into Malouda as Wright-Phillips's pass was coming his way. It was inside the box and in front of the referee."

I have no idea what's going on there.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #303
Tellistto
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Wait, he's an ass because he admitted he's wrong, instead of doggedly insisting he got the call right?

Oh come on, Craig. Styles is an ass, and the issue that I have with him is that he used the word MAY in his admission, along with the fact that he did indeed affect the outcome of the match. As I've said before, I'm an Everton fan, and I still found that job of his in that match ludicrous.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #304
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
US lost and this looks to be a weak team with a weak coach. Alex Nimo looks to be the only player, at this point, with much future for the USMNT. Which is sad for the US at this juncture.

The U17 World Cup is not really a future indication of how good a player will be. For example, after the last World Cup, the hottest name was David Arvizu. I am not even sure which MLS team he is with now, and I do not think he has seen any playing time. On the other hand, Jozy Altiodre was a late sub in two games and no one really thought much about him at the time.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #305
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Altidore was playing up a year, though. And who knows whether he should have gotten more time than he did, given the apparent issues with the coaching staff?

(He was up two years at the past U-20, which makes his performance there all the more impressive.)

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #306
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
Oh come on, Craig. Styles is an ass, and the issue that I have with him is that he used the word MAY in his admission, along with the fact that he did indeed affect the outcome of the match.
It's one thing to think he's an ass — I can't agree or disagree with that because I don't follow EPL officiating all that closely.

It's quite another to go after Styles for making an admission of wrongdoing that (hopefully) will inform his performances going forward. The only way I can see not accepting it is if you think it was forced on him, rather than offered of his own volition.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #307
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
It's one thing to think he's an ass — I can't agree or disagree with that because I don't follow EPL officiating all that closely.

It's quite another to go after Styles for making an admission of wrongdoing that (hopefully) will inform his performances going forward. The only way I can see not accepting it is if you think it was forced on him, rather than offered of his own volition.
while he admitted that the penalty was a bad call, as tell said, he did not actually admit to wrongdoing (or the pure incompetency that is rob styles). he said that he "accept that he may have affected the result". i don't know. that's, ummm, weak if it's suppose to be an apology of any sort.

and the way it was phrased, it makes me think that it's, as you said, somethiing forced on him by the FA than his actual willingness to improve.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:44 AM   #308
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

That's a fair criticism.

He's correct about it may have affected the result — it's not late enough in the game that you can be sure Chelski wouldn't have equalized anyway.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:38 AM   #309
Qrusher14242
High School JV

anyone have Setanta Sports? I was wondering if i subscribe will it have more channels than on the free preview. Cause it showed during one of the games, the Liverpool-Chelsea was on next, but it wasnt on the schedule.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:46 AM   #310
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
anyone have Setanta Sports? I was wondering if i subscribe will it have more channels than on the free preview. Cause it showed during one of the games, the Liverpool-Chelsea was on next, but it wasnt on the schedule.

Setanta gets it's coverage from a couple of UK networks, so when they talk about upcoming games in the commentary, they're normally talking about what's upcoming on the UK channel.

If you subscribe you'll get one channel, with a second Setanta Xtra channel available for a few of hours each week, they generally show two live EPL games (one on Setanta and one on Xtra) when they can. I'm not sure if Xtra is DirecTV exclusive, or if Dish network shows it too.

Last edited by Critch : 08-22-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:10 AM   #311
Flasch186
Coordinator

yup, one channel for the most part as I can tell but in my house whenever Im monopolizing the TV and NFL isnt on, this is generally one of the channel's the TV rests on.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #312
Critch
lolzcat

BBC is reporting that Everton have agreed a fee with Middlesbrough for Yakubu, 11.75 million pounds. That's a serious amount of money, but Yakubu and Andy Johnson will be worth watching, fill the roll of big man up front that Beattie failed in.

Rumors that Man Utd will be throwing a ton of cash at a new striker in the next few days too in a last minute panic kind of style. Obafemi Martins seems like the likely target, though Nicolas Anelka has been rumored too.

Seems like you need a squad of 30 international players to be in the EPL.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #313
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I've heard that Martins is unlikely as Sir Alex would like a bigger target type of forward rather than small, speedy Martins.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #314
finketr
College Prospect

styles.. .yeesh.. set tackling to easy on every player, hope to avoid cards...
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #315
finketr
College Prospect

styles.. .yeesh.. set tackling to easy on every player, hope to avoid cards...
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #316
Critch
lolzcat

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...ftheday111.xml

This link may be old news, but I only discovered it a couple of days ago. It's The Daily Telegraph's "The Day in Football", a running journal of the day's top soccer stories concentrating mainly on the EPL.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #317
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I've heard that Martins is unlikely as Sir Alex would like a bigger target type of forward rather than small, speedy Martins.

Martins doesn't make much sense to me either. Man Utd already have too many smaller strikers in Tevez, Saha and Solsjkaer (spell?). Anelka would be a much better fit and he seems to have matured since his younger days as well.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #318
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post

If you're only getting one channel them imho get Fox Soccer ....

I've got both (yeah I'm an addict) but find that there are more matches I watch on FSC than on Setana.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 08-22-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:38 PM   #319
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Yakubu seems like the perfect striker for Man U, IMO - big strong guy who can lead an attack, and can have either Rooney or Tevez play of him. 11.25 million pounds seems reasonable for him in this market. Why would he want to go to Everton?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 PM   #320
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I've got both (yeah I'm an addict) but find that there are more matches I watch on FSC than on Setana.

I'm the opposite. I watch mainly on Setanta, their picture is better (though it's been jumpy a couple of times this season) and they don't shove an advert onto the bottom of the screen every few minutes. They also don't have to wait til the whistle has blown to pass to UK commentators like FSC does.

Setanta does cost more, but their coverage of the Champions League and European Championship qualifiers makes it worthwhile.

I probably watch more GolTV than FSC these days as I'm not interested in any of FSC's non-EPL coverage. Until the Italian League kicks off anyway.

Last edited by Critch : 08-22-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #321
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Martins doesn't make much sense to me either. Man Utd already have too many smaller strikers in Tevez, Saha and Solsjkaer (spell?). Anelka would be a much better fit and he seems to have matured since his younger days as well.

There's a big, horse-faced, Dutch guy at Real Madrid who would have been perfect for Man Utd.

It looks like Solskjaer (spelling?) is pretty much finished and Saha is a doubt too. If Sir Alex Ferguson is expecting his front line to be Tevez with Rooney behind him, I'd say Martins would fit in as a backup for either of them. If Ferguson is set on a smaller, more mobile front line anyway.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #322
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Jay Demerit to Fulham transfer rumour... this would put a ridiculous 4 Americans on Fulham.

They've signed Kasey Keller now too. They're going for the full set.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #323
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Another American at Fulham, good stuff.

Robben to Real Madrid, Belletti to Chelsea. I guess Chelsea decided that even with the Robben money Dani Alves was too expensive for them.

Man Utd sold Heinze to Real Madrid, I'm glad that we didn't have to sell him to Liverpool and was disappointed that Heinze was pushing so hard for a move to our biggest rival.
A former cult favorite will now probably be remembered for the way he left, unfortunately.

At least we got to see Benetiz embarrass himself crying to the press about the incident, bizarrely linking it with unfair scheduling and the Tevez transfer saga:

Quote:
“I would like to ask the Premier League a number of questions. How can a player with a signed agreement be treated like this? He has a document which is clear, but the Premier League prefers to believe the word of someone else who made a mistake. I know there were accusations made against Liverpool in the hearing which were unbelievable. How can this be allowed? Then I would like to ask the Premier League why is it that Liverpool always plays the most fixtures, away from home in an early kick-off, following an international break? We had more than the top clubs last season and we have four already to prepare for this season. Then I want to ask the Premier League why it was so so difficult for Liverpool to sign Javier Mascherano, when we had to wait a long time for the paperwork, but it was so easy for Carlos Tevez to join Manchester United?

It’s going to be very difficult for us to win the Premier League because the other teams are so strong, but I want our supporters to know that despite the disadvantages we have, we will fight all the way. We will fight to cope with our more difficult kick-off times and all the other decisions which are going against us.”
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #324
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
They've signed Kasey Keller now too. They're going for the full set.

Are they receiving subsidies from the US government!?

Now I really hope they grab DeMerit to ramp it up to a potential 5 americans on the field at one time come January or so.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #325
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Kasper Schmeichel is a beast. I hadn't seen him play before. But damn. That kid is serious.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:16 PM   #326
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Kasper Schmeichel is a beast. I hadn't seen him play before. But damn. That kid is serious.

I've thought for a while that he had 'legs' and am really glad he's been given a chance.

He plays with a lot of heart and I was really rooting for his header during the Arsenal match to go in - that imho would have sealed his performance perfectly, he was determined to win that match single handedly if at all possible .... definitely has similar qualities to his father and if he goes onto become half the player he was* then he'll be world class imho.

*Peter Schmeichel imho was one of the best keepers in the world ever, not only that but he handled himself with class and bowed out of the game still at his peak (and I'm not just saying that because my wife's a Man City fan and he ended his career with them).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #327
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Everton's two transfer targets both look at doubt at the moment. Yakubu has been declined a new work permit and Manuel Fernandes has opted to sign with Valencia. Yakubu still has an appeal coming, but we still need to find some midfield cover before the transfer season closes.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:12 AM   #328
Butter
Coordinator

Keller was showing his age this weekend. Probably should've stopped the game winner.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #329
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Who is commentating this Manchester U v. Spurs game on FSC right now? It's just two Brits blathering about. It's almost as annoying as Monday Night Football.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-27-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Young Drachma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #330
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

EPL FanZone, I read. Hmm..stupidest idea ever. Take two blathering fans and let them review an otherwise good game.

Ugh.

Good thing we haven't adopted this one yet.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #331
MJ4H
Coordinator

hahah yeah its pretty unwatchable though it can be funny.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #332
Critch
lolzcat

Yeah, EPL FanZone is terrible. The only reason to watch is in the hope the two fans will beat the crap out of each other one week.

Last season's West Ham v Spurs game was good. West Ham 3-2 up with 2 minutes to go, manage to concede 2 goals and lose 4-3. West Ham fan went from smug and gloating to suicidal in no time.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:03 AM   #333
Critch
lolzcat

Only two days to go before the transfer deadline, so time for the rumors to start up.

Ronaldinho to Chelsea? $100 million for a player that John Terry says would have to work harder defensively to play for Chelsea

Shaun Wright-Phillips to Spurs? Rumors that Chelsea offered SWP to Spurs for Defoe, Spurs said they wanted SWP + 4mil pounds.

A striker to Man Utd? They were short upfront already and now Solkskjaer has retired.

Every year I get worked up for the closing transfer window frenzy, and ever year nothing much happens. Champions League draw tomorrow afternoon though, so at least that will be interesting.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #334
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Solskjaer retired?

Having lived in England from 95 to 99 and being a fan of United's European efforts during that time (let's face it, they were the only team to fly the flag successfully for England then), I'm a pretty big Ole fan. Sad to see him retire, but it looks like he'll have a pretty bright future as a coach, probably at Man U.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #335
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:

Every year I get worked up for the closing transfer window frenzy, and ever year nothing much happens. Champions League draw tomorrow afternoon though, so at least that will be interesting.

Tevez? Macherano?
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #336
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Tevez? Macherano?

K, I'm old, my memory is going, I can't be expected to remember last year
Old 08-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #337
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

UEFA Champions League Draw is going on now..

http://www.uefa.com/
Old 08-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #338
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
UEFA Champions League Draw is going on now..

Bah, it's normally friday lunchtime. Went out for lunch today and came back to find it had all finished.

Barcelona, Lyon, Stuttgart, Rangers = group of death. (death of Rangers chances of going through anyway)
Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #339
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Blech... I'm with Critch there, usually they do it on Friday, lunchtime European time. Oh well, time to kickstart the 2007/2008 UEFA Champions' League prediction competition thread.

Edit: It'll have to wait a couple of days. I forgot that the Sevilla - AEK game has been postponed to next Monday after the death of Sevilla player Antonio Puerta. He was only 22 years young...

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-30-2007 at 01:06 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #340
Critch
lolzcat

Well done to Zat Knight for getting himself arrested on drugs charges yesterday morning on the way to finalize his move from Fulham to Aston Villa. He was released on bail in time to sign for Villa.

Good way to arrive at your new team
Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #341
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Bah, it's normally friday lunchtime. Went out for lunch today and came back to find it had all finished.

Barcelona, Lyon, Stuttgart, Rangers = group of death. (death of Rangers chances of going through anyway)

Not sure, Lyon will suck this year with GK Coupet down for 4 months, Captain Cris down for 6, Abidal (Barcelona), Malouda (Chelsea), Tiago (Juventus) Caçapa (Newcastle) and Wiltord (Rennes) gone. And it get's worse if you know Fred wants to leave too.

Edit: oh and they changed the coach too with Perrin replacing Houiller but that might be a good thing

Last edited by BreizhManu : 08-30-2007 at 02:02 PM.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #342
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Rangers and Celtic both got pretty brutal draws. Poor bastards.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:00 PM   #343
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Rangers and Celtic both got pretty brutal draws. Poor bastards.
That's the way it goes when the seeding procedure favours teams who did well in Europe, especially the UEFA Champions' League over the previous 5 seasons, or from leagues that did well over the same time period. That said, Celtic and Rangers were the best ranked teams within their seeding groups, being 17th and 25th respectively.

Still, Celtic isn't really that bad off, getting Benfica as 2nd seeds. The other options were Porto, Valencia, Lyon, Roma, Werder, Sevilla or PSV. Shakhtar, on the other hand, is a relative strong 4th seed. It will likely be a race for 2nd place and it could be an advantage to play AC Milan on the 6th group play day (although Celtic does plays them on the road).

The only group that to me looks like it's from a different competition level is the Arsenal - Steaua - Slavia threesome, which could get really weak for CL standards if Sevilla doesn't manage to get past AEK Athena, as AEK is technically a 4th seed.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:08 PM   #344
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The Celtic - Spartak 2nd leg the other night was absolutely epic by the way. In some ways Celtic is lucky to even be here right now.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:06 AM   #345
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
The only group that to me looks like it's from a different competition level is the Arsenal - Steaua - Slavia threesome, which could get really weak for CL standards if Sevilla doesn't manage to get past AEK Athena, as AEK is technically a 4th seed.
why do you say that as if it is a bad thing? we can use a reasonable draw for a change. i appreciate it.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #346
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Please allow me one moment of footy bragging...

There's only one Clint Dempsey.... there's only one Clint Dempsey... ONE CLINT DEMPSEY!, One Clint Deeeeempseyyyy!

The American scored once and set up the other two as Fulham came back from 2-0 down and 3-1 down to tie 3-3 with Tottenham
Old 09-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #347
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Please allow me one moment of footy bragging...

There's only one Clint Dempsey.... there's only one Clint Dempsey... ONE CLINT DEMPSEY!, One Clint Deeeeempseyyyy!

The American scored once and set up the other two as Fulham came back from 2-0 down and 3-1 down to tie 3-3 with Tottenham

woot! USA USA USA!
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #348
Blade6119
Coordinator

My pick for CL sleeper team is CSKA Moscow...those guys can play, regardless of the supposed weaknesses of the Russian league.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #349
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
My pick for CL sleeper team is CSKA Moscow...those guys can play, regardless of the supposed weaknesses of the Russian league.

is daniel carvhalo on that team?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #350
Blade6119
Coordinator

yup, along with quite a few other internationals, including 3 other brazilian nationals
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote