Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #301
miami_fan
Coordinator

Chip Kelly spurns NFL, will return to Oregon Ducks, sources say - ESPN

Quote:
Oregon coach Chip Kelly has decided to turn down a chance to go to the NFL and instead will return to the Ducks, according to league sources.

Kelly was intrigued with the Philadelphia Eagles' head coaching job but decided he wasn't comfortable leaving the college game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #302
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm sure the Kelly situation plays out just like Pete Carroll. If they get nailed with sanctions he'll take the best job available next year and if they don't he'd be crazy to leave with Phil's money behind him
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #303
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Sure seems like Kelly is taking a big gamble. With the negotiations between the NCAA & Oregon for a summary disposition having broken down, and knowing there are at least 8 major violations that Oregon agreed with (and more that were in dispute, hence the breakdown in negotiations), seems abundantly clear that sanctions are headed Oregon's way, and probably serious ones. Given that Kelly was directly involved, it seems highly likely that he'd get slapped with a "show-cause" provision, and Oregon would likely face less severe penalties if he were fired.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #304
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Taylor Lewan to announce "his future plans" today.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #305
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

If flying cars aren't a part of his future plan, I'm not interested.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #306
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I think he's planning to be Clowney's bitch for a little while longer.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #307
Butter
Coordinator

So, after the recent interview, do the Browns go after Cowher? Especially with the new owner having been involved with the Steelers in the recent past?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #308
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Is it just me or does it seem like the hiring process is taking longer? Seems like more teams than usual still have openings after wild card weekend.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #309
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I think he's planning to be Clowney's bitch for a little while longer.

He handled Clowney just fine.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #310
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Sure seems like Kelly is taking a big gamble. With the negotiations between the NCAA & Oregon for a summary disposition having broken down, and knowing there are at least 8 major violations that Oregon agreed with (and more that were in dispute, hence the breakdown in negotiations), seems abundantly clear that sanctions are headed Oregon's way, and probably serious ones. Given that Kelly was directly involved, it seems highly likely that he'd get slapped with a "show-cause" provision, and Oregon would likely face less severe penalties if he were fired.

What I wonder ( more like hope) is kids start to think he will jump for the NFL sooner than later and decide to look further north for thei college choices.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #311
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like the hiring process is taking longer? Seems like more teams than usual still have openings after wild card weekend.

Doesn't seem to be many "must hire" guys out there. Though I'm glad Mike Zimmer is getting some interviews, he's going to be a great head coach. I wish Miami would've hired him last year.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #312
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
What I wonder ( more like hope) is kids start to think he will jump for the NFL sooner than later and decide to look further north for thei college choices.

They won't as long as the Nike money is funneling into Eugene.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #313
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Yep. Oregon is going to be a player for as long as Phil Knight is around and still has interest in the football program. Serious USC-style sanctions (and the likelihood that Kelly will have to go) will slow them down for sure, but they will still have the "cool" factor that the Nike money brings.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #314
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It will be interesting to see how high that money goes considering Kelly has zero titles.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #315
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Brian Kelly of Notre Dame Fighting Irish interviews with Philadelphia Eagles for coaching vacancy -- sources - ESPN

pulling a Saban?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #316
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Could have a large impact on their incoming class. It will be interesting if he did go since he has no pro experience although he isn't as system dependent as Chip.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #317
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The link doesn't have the quote but I know I saw an interview with Kelly about going pro, and he did say something like, "You always do kind of wonder." If it is a bluff, it is a mighty good one since they agreed to meet again after his vacation.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #318
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how high that money goes considering Kelly has zero titles.

Pretty high. Chip Kelly is an elite coach. I'd put him second in college
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #319
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Pretty high. Chip Kelly is an elite coach. I'd put him second in college

If Saban is #1, over Meyer?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #320
chadritt
High School Varsity

Interesting, any idea if the NCAA is sniffing around the various rape and student cameraman death coverup accusations?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #321
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
If Saban is #1, over Meyer?

I'll amend it to include top 3
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #322
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

And he's back. Apparently Jake Long talked to him and really hammered home staying.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 AM   #323
Atocep
Coordinator

The McCaskeys have strongly encouraged Emery to interview Mike Singletary for the Bears job. I'm really hoping this is just helping him get his name out there for other head coaching jobs because Emery has made it clear from his choices for interviews that he's leaning heavily toward an offensive coach. Singletary is actually the only defensive coach that I know of that has or will interview. Mainly, I just hope the days of the McCaskeys making football decisions is over.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #324
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The McCaskeys have strongly encouraged Emery to interview Mike Singletary for the Bears job. I'm really hoping this is just helping him get his name out there for other head coaching jobs because Emery has made it clear from his choices for interviews that he's leaning heavily toward an offensive coach. Singletary is actually the only defensive coach that I know of that has or will interview. Mainly, I just hope the days of the McCaskeys making football decisions is over.

I can see Singletary as the Chicago HC. Not the best choice but I can see it. He'll put some building blocks in, get fired or kicked upstairs and the next HC will win a SB....

Thats only if the McCaskeys are not involved in the next HC decision otherwise I can see them trotting out Maury Buford as the next HC and telling us how wonderful thats going to be.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #325
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Jags fire Mularkey.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #326
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Jags fire Mularkey.

By the new GM. The guy who chose the Jags over the Jets when both spots were offered to him. That's what happens when a prospective GM has a coach forced upon him, instead of being able to make his own decision.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #327
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

8 new head coaches next year...crazy business...

Last edited by PackerFanatic : 01-10-2013 at 11:28 AM.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #328
JediKooter
Coordinator

The Chargers hired Tom Telesco from the Colts. I have no clue/idea about this guy. Thought anyone? The Chargers looking at a step forward, back, no difference from AJ Smith?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #329
RedKingGold
College Starter

I wouldn't let Mike Singletary run a McDonald's, let alone a professional football franchise.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #330
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I wouldn't let Mike Singletary run a McDonald's, let alone a professional football franchise.

This

I don't recall anyone who did less with more than him. Harbaugh is a great coach, but the talent was there already.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #331
BillJasper
Pro Starter

It seems like so many teams fired guys with no idea of who they wanted next. And I can't believe a Lovie Smith isn't getting more interviews. Guy finished 10-6 and Reid finished 4-12 and Reid already has a job. Seems like Smith would be a great fit with either San Diego or Cleveland if he's paired with the right offensive coordinator.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #332
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It seems like so many teams fired guys with no idea of who they wanted next. And I can't believe a Lovie Smith isn't getting more interviews. Guy finished 10-6 and Reid finished 4-12 and Reid already has a job. Seems like Smith would be a great fit with either San Diego or Cleveland if he's paired with the right offensive coordinator.

Well, there's your problem with Lovie right there. Let's say you have decided to hire Lovie Smith, based on what you just said. Lovie doesn't know jack about offense.

So you need an offensive coordinator. Your option is to let Lovie Smith hire one or hire one yourself. If you hire one yourself (and this presumes you yourself are good enough at identifying a good OC), then you have hired a guy Lovie Smith didn't find or hire, and as a result you have undermined your new coach right from the beginning and maybe made him work with someone he doesn't want to work with. Okay, so you let Lovie Smith hire his own OC. Martz. Tice. Turner. Etc. Etc. The man doesn't know a good OC from his own asshole.

I would hire Lovie Smith as a DC in a heartbeat, though.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #333
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It seems like so many teams fired guys with no idea of who they wanted next. And I can't believe a Lovie Smith isn't getting more interviews. Guy finished 10-6 and Reid finished 4-12 and Reid already has a job.

I find the fact that Reid has a job far more unbelievable than Smith not having one.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #334
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
The Chargers hired Tom Telesco from the Colts. I have no clue/idea about this guy. Thought anyone? The Chargers looking at a step forward, back, no difference from AJ Smith?

No great insight but I'm very happy they went outside of the organization and if this makes Arians more likely I'm ecstatic.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #335
RedKingGold
College Starter

I'm surprised Ken Whisenhunt hasn't gotten more attention, wouldn't he be a perfect fit for the Bears (or any other team with a QB)?

If he's smart though, just stay away from the Browns job. You hear me? STAY AWAY!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #336
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Steelers waive rookie Rainey after arrest - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #337
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm surprised Ken Whisenhunt hasn't gotten more attention, wouldn't he be a perfect fit for the Bears (or any other team with a QB)?

If he's smart though, just stay away from the Browns job. You hear me? STAY AWAY!

Uh, you haven't seen the list of "quarterbacks" he's had at Arizona the past couple season's have you? He was gifted with Kurt Warner and did next to nothing with the position since then. He went all in on Kevin Kolb and then failed to get quality O-Linemen to protect him and the other QB's. I think the Cards QB play the past two seasons and the fact they have given up the most sacks and the second most sacks in those two seasons have probably made some teams think twice about him.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #338
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, you gotta be with the team longer than a year before you get to be violent towards women. Rainey should know that.

Last edited by Butter : 01-10-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #339
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
No great insight but I'm very happy they went outside of the organization and if this makes Arians more likely I'm ecstatic.

Ah that's cool. I'm glad they went outside the organization as well and Telesco really seemed to know the San Diego players very well, from reading about his interview. There's some talk about Jay Gruden, which doesn't inspire a whole lot of hope from me.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #340
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Yeah, you gotta be with the team longer than a year before you get to be violent towards women. Rainey should know that.

Want to smack a bitch? Make the pro bowl.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #341
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Should be a logical link there with Haslam being the new owner. The Browns aren't that far away.

Also conventional wisdom was that Kurt Warner was done and I remember thinking it was silly to move away from Leinart that early. I think Whis made a great choice there.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #342
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Uh, you haven't seen the list of "quarterbacks" he's had at Arizona the past couple season's have you? He was gifted with Kurt Warner and did next to nothing with the position since then. He went all in on Kevin Kolb and then failed to get quality O-Linemen to protect him and the other QB's. I think the Cards QB play the past two seasons and the fact they have given up the most sacks and the second most sacks in those two seasons have probably made some teams think twice about him.

You can blame Whisenhunt for not developing the OL, but you also have to consider that he didn't "shop for the groceries". It was Rod Graves (or maybe a Bidwell) who commanded Michael Floyd be taken with a 1st Rounder, I doubt Whisenhunt was involved with that decision.

Also, that's why I stated he needs to go to a team WITH a QB. I could see him struggling again with the Weeden/McCoy poo-poo platter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Should be a logical link there with Haslam being the new owner. The Browns aren't that far away.

Also conventional wisdom was that Kurt Warner was done and I remember thinking it was silly to move away from Leinart that early. I think Whis made a great choice there.

This. People easily forget how critized the Warner > Leinert decision was with how bad Warner looked with the Giants.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-10-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #343
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

And in an offense as pass-heavy as the Cardinals, maybe sacks-per-dropback would be a more enlightening stat to measure the OL's performance.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #344
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I just watched the press conference of the new GM at Jags, and he stated, twice, that he cannot imagine a scenario that Tebow becomes a Jaguar., even if he is released.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #345
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Good. As I said earlier, the Jags are custom built for an elite offense next year with the right QB.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #346
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Lol, i beat the ESPN story by a half hour!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #347
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

FOFC had it first!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #348
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Good. As I said earlier, the Jags are custom built for an elite offense next year with the right QB.

But all he does is win!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #349
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Browns hire Chudzinski
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #350
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rob Chudzinski must be polish for "Josh McDaniels"