Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #301
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
They're running a fine line by not playing Ox more because when he's coming on he's now trying to "show something" and isn't doing a lot of passing. I know they're both playing well but he needs on the field for either Carzola or Ozil. Both of those guys play well but they are not really dynamic and offer no real goal scoring threat.

I get destroyed for saying it on Arsenal threads. . . . but as much as I love Cazorla (and he's flipping amazing), I'm happier with Ramsey playing in the center and Ox or Walcott on the right.

Again, it's the speed issue. Those two guys give us something we simply do not possess when they aren't in the lineup. We have a bunch of interchangeable parts in the midfield which is good. . . . but where is the guy who is going to truly challenge the defense on a counter? We need more speed.

We spent years complaining about a lack of depth. Now we have a lot of it, but that means some difficult decisions. Hope we make a decent signing to finish off the window. (in the DMC area please, I still don't trust Coq)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #302
MrBug708
Head Coach

Palace was great today
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #303
Grover
Pro Starter

From Football365 on West Ham's victory at Anfield...

"18,978 days after Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters - before they were World Cup winners with England - scored at Anfield, the Hammers had their long-awaited victory.

It was celebrated long and loud by the visiting fans and rightly so as the last time they had the chance to do so the Beatles had just achieved their second number one with She Loves You and a 17-year-old Northern Irishman called George Best had made his Manchester United debut."

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #304
miami_fan
Coordinator

I love the sending off of Steven Whitaker. The first yellow was just silly. Once you have that silly first yellow, all you are doing is begging the ref not to "spoil" the match by properly punishing any offense deserving of a yellow.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #305
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I love the sending off of Steven Whitaker. The first yellow was just silly. Once you have that silly first yellow, all you are doing is begging the ref not to "spoil" the match by properly punishing any offense deserving of a yellow.

The first yellow is the difference between being on a top team and being on Norwich. None of the top clubs would have had a player get that first yellow card.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #306
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

3 in a row against ManU... yawn... (and 2006 me is telling current me, no way in hell that ever happens)
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #307
Grover
Pro Starter

Swans are so much fun.

Shelvey continues to make leaps and bounds as a player. Still a bit hot-headed a times, but he should be 3rd choice at MC for England for a long time.

Last edited by Grover : 08-30-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #308
TroyF
Coordinator

Swans with a great game. The top presumptive top 6 all look like garbage with the exception of one team:

Arsenal - 0 goal differential, 2 unimpressive wins, 1 horrific loss, 1 draw that should have been a win

Man U - +1 GD, 2 unimpressive wins, 1 loss, 1 draw

Chelsea - -3 GD, 1 average win, 2 losses (1 of which was a beatdown), 1 draw

Liverpool - -1 GD, 2 unimpressive wins (1 which should have been a draw), 1 draw (which should have been a loss), 1 loss (which was a beatdown)

Tottenham - -1 GD, 0 wins, 3 draws (most boring as hell) and 1 loss

Then you have:

Manchester City: +10 GD, 4 wins (including a thrashing of Chelsea) 4 clean sheets, 4 games with 2 goals or more.

We now have 2 weeks off. The first week back we have:

Man City at Crystal Palace (suddenly a very intriguing game)
Chelsea at Everton
Liverpool at Man United (hard to think of a more important game on the docket)
Stoke at Arsenal (Stoke without 2 players due to reds yesterday)
Old 08-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #309
britrock88
Pro Starter

It sure was fun watching Stoke threaten WBA after going down 2 men.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:53 AM   #310
whomario
Pro Starter

What i the world of fudge are ManU doing ? Paying 50 mio for a prospect ? The loaning out one of the best prospects on the continent who, you know, started in a few games for you to start the season ? To a club where he has less of a chance to start games as things stand now ? And if they include a buy-out fee in the loan, i will not complain as a Dortmund fan but there would also be no way to refrain from laughing hysterically

Dortmund unfortunately missed out on the main target, Andriy Yarmolenko from Dynamo Kyiv ... That guy is soooo good
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:43 AM   #311
Easy Mac

So two MLS players were called up to the Italian national team for their Euro qualifiers. Didn't think I'd get to say that sentence before the turn of the next century.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #312
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Giovinco's call up is definitely the most exciting for a US soccer fan. He was out of the Italian NT and played himself back on it by his play for Toronto FC. It's potentially a great selling point for MLS for those players who may find themselves buried in the depth chart on top teams - come to MLS, you'll get playing time and a chance to showcase your skills.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:37 PM   #313
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

De Gea's move to Real fell apart when ManYoo sent the documents for the transfer a minute after the transfer window closed.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:48 AM   #314
miami_fan
Coordinator

I waited to see if this will be changed but it looks like De Gea really won't be going Real in this window. The paperwork fiasco is a staple of the transfer window but damn...United and Real can't get it right?!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #315
miami_fan
Coordinator

I highly recommend the documentary "Jack to a King- The Swansea Story". Brilliant.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:27 PM   #316
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
What i the world of fudge are ManU doing ? Paying 50 mio for a prospect ? The loaning out one of the best prospects on the continent who, you know, started in a few games for you to start the season ? To a club where he has less of a chance to start games as things stand now ? And if they include a buy-out fee in the loan, i will not complain as a Dortmund fan but there would also be no way to refrain from laughing hysterically

Dortmund unfortunately missed out on the main target, Andriy Yarmolenko from Dynamo Kyiv ... That guy is soooo good

I'm beyond pissed off at the Arsenal transfer window. I expected a signing. Not Benzema or a spree like Man City. . . but I fully expected some midfield cover for Coq. Instead, Noting.

That said, at least there was no panic buys at the end of the window. If Wenger really felt the targets weren't there to improve the team, then I can deal with that. Liverpool, Man United and Tottenham have spend a ridiculous amount of money the last couple of years and I still think Arsenal are a better team than any of them. (though I think Depay will be massive down the road)

Maybe there is a method to the madness of ManU, but I'm stumped as of now. They end up losing points because De Gea was benched and now will have to work him back into the team. In January, he will either sign a pre contract with Real Madrid or be sold on the cheap. Strange window.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:06 AM   #317
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I highly recommend the documentary "Jack to a King- The Swansea Story". Brilliant.

I saw the first part on Satellite and it was awesome - was gutted I missed the ending.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #318
miami_fan
Coordinator

I kinda like the split transfer window. I could get behind a European wide window that closed somewhere around the 15th of August and the domestic window closing on 1 September.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #319
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
That said, at least there was no panic buys at the end of the window. If Wenger really felt the targets weren't there to improve the team, then I can deal with that. Liverpool, Man United and Tottenham have spend a ridiculous amount of money the last couple of years and I still think Arsenal are a better team than any of them. (though I think Depay will be massive down the road)

If I were an Arsenal fan, I think this is where my head would be. I guess they could find a random somebody to play upfront or play the holding midfielder role but we have seen Wenger when he just signs the random somebody.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #320
Grover
Pro Starter

U.S. Soccer Continues To Sabotage Soccer In The U.S.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:12 PM   #321
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

God I hate Bill Haisley. He's a moron. The NASL barely qualifies to be a D2 league. Why exactly do we need to make it easier for them to be a D1?! US Soccer SHOULD favoritize the MLS. That's how you'll get soccer to grow in the US, by having one major soccer league where everyone can know the teams and, eventually, the star players. Promotion / Relegation is an absolutely horrible and stupid idea in the US context. It would destroy soccer in the US again and for what? Because we want to be like Europe? How about we make the sport popular in the country before we decide to risk not having a team in NY, Chicago, or LA (though, granted, little chance of the Galaxy ever getting to that zone) and going into a TV rights negotiation the season after.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #322
whomario
Pro Starter

I am going to be careful with Germany having 2 must win games ahead themselves. That being said: How about them Dutch with a reasonable chance not to even make the playoffs in European Qualifying after a 0:1 loss to a sneakily good Iceland team ?

Iceland all but secured their first participation with that massive result Same goes for Wales. Heck, even without the new format (24 teams ...) they both would have stood an excellent chance. Netherlands on the other hand only have a shot for at least the playoffs due to the new format. Going to have a huge away game in Turkey next.

Norway played themselves back into the race with a huge away win in Bulgaria and Croatia only drawin in Azerbaijan. Italy beats Malta 1:0 only.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 09-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #323
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Netherlands - Iceland reminded me of the 2002 qualifier Ireland - Netherlands: everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Robben injured, stupid red card, silly penalty kick... Thankfully Turkey chocked in extra time against Latvia and now even a draw in Turkey will be sufficient to maintain 3rd place. Although I don't have much confidence in a good result there.

Iceland and the Czech Republic are basically safe now, they should qualify from Group A. In Group B Wales has a 5-point cushion on third place Israel, but that group is still wide open, even Bosnia-Herzegovina in 5th place are still alive. In Group H the top3 is decided, pretty much.

Kazakhstan, Andorra and Malta are eliminated after today's games, unless a couple of teams in they're group do something silly like Croatia and Serbia did to receive a points reduction penalty.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #324
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'm beyond pissed off at the Arsenal transfer window. I expected a signing. Not Benzema or a spree like Man City. . . but I fully expected some midfield cover for Coq. Instead, Noting.

With the news that Welbeck is out for a few months the lack of activity hurts even more, but if there really wasn't anyone available, so be it. I like Martial but that was a ridiculous fee. I do also think Depay will be good business in a few years.

As for Arsenal .. City look awesome right now, but we'll see if they remain consistent. Is there a title challenge in this team? Maybe. But I think most likely result is 2-4.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #325
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Netherlands - Iceland reminded me of the 2002 qualifier Ireland - Netherlands: everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Robben injured, stupid red card, silly penalty kick... Thankfully Turkey chocked in extra time against Latvia and now even a draw in Turkey will be sufficient to maintain 3rd place. Although I don't have much confidence in a good result there.

Iceland and the Czech Republic are basically safe now, they should qualify from Group A. In Group B Wales has a 5-point cushion on third place Israel, but that group is still wide open, even Bosnia-Herzegovina in 5th place are still alive. In Group H the top3 is decided, pretty much.

Kazakhstan, Andorra and Malta are eliminated after today's games, unless a couple of teams in they're group do something silly like Croatia and Serbia did to receive a points reduction penalty.

We play Andorra the last game at home and need 2 points to qualify - I don't think even Wales can fuck this one up, but I'm sure we will give it a good go... In reality a draw against Israel on Sunday probably gets it done regardless
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #326
whomario
Pro Starter

Bales goal last night was pretty awesome, that was a real "fuck this, here i come" header with a head of steam.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #327
bhlloy
Coordinator

I haven't gone that insane for a goal since Andy Campbell 2003 league one playoff final, a bit of a problem seeing it was at my desk at work and the middle of the day over here
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:55 PM   #328
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Kazakhstan, Andorra, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Armenia. One of these doesn't belong, yet this is the list of countries eliminated from Euro2016 after today's results. Greece has fallen hard...
Old 09-04-2015, 10:25 PM   #329
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Two stunners in CONCACAF WCQ, 1st legs:
Jamaica 2, Nicaragua 3
Antigua 1, Guatemala 0

So Jamaica has to win by 2 (likely) on the road to advance, and Guatemala have no away goals, so probably also have to win by 2.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:22 AM   #330
whomario
Pro Starter

Germany with a pretty convincing 3:1 win over Poland There were two 5 minute stretches with issues (right around the 1:2 for Poland and again middle of the 2nd half), but other than that a nice performance.

The main issue still is the Right Back position. Emre Can got a try there and looked flustered and out of sorts (and also lacks the quickness/agility there). One can only hope that Philip Lahm maybe agrees to be reactivated for the tournament ...
Old 09-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #331
MIJB#19
Coordinator

England is the first team to join France at Euro2016, securing a top2 spot in Group E. San Marino (after losing to England), Belarus, Luxembourg and Macedonia (all Group C) join the crowd of eliminated teams. That also means in Group C, Spain, Slovakia and Ukraine clinched finishing top3 in that group. These three are on pace to all qualify, as Ukraine are currently the best 3rd place team, but at worst they play in the third place teams playoffs.

Other teams that have secured at least a playoffs spot are Iceland, Austria, Portugal and Denmark.

Today:
Iceland will qualify with a victory against Kazakhstan, or a draw combined with a Netherlands loss or draw in Turkey, or still qualify with a loss and a Netherlands-Turkey draw.
Czech Republic will qualify with a victory in Latvia combined with a Netherlands loss or draw in Turkey.
Wales will qualify with a victory against Israel.

Tomorrow:
Germany will qualify with a victory in Scotland combined with an Ireland loss against Georgia, or victory combined with an Ireland draw vs Georgia and Poland loss or draw against Gibraltar.
Northern Ireland will qualify with a victory against Hungary.
Portugal will qualify with a victory in Albania.
Denmark will qualify with a victory in Armenia combined with an Albania loss to Portugal.

Tuesday:
Slovakia will qualify with a victory in Ukraine.
Switzerland will qualify with a victory in England combined with a Slovenia-Estonia draw.
Austria will qualify with a victory or draw in Sweden, or with a loss combined with a Russia loss or draw in Liechtenstein.

All providing these teams don't get any points deductions like Croatia and Serbia already received.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #332
digamma
Torchbearer

England is in, Wales close, Northern Ireland pretty close and Scotland in the mix (though maybe an uphill climb). Is this just due to fortunate draws or is there better soccer there right now?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #333
Katon
College Benchwarmer

England and Scotland are doing about what they usually do. Scotland are only really in the mix because the Euros expanded to make spot 2 an auto-qualify and spot 3 a playoff; with the old number of qualifiers, they'd be comfortably ahead of Georgia and Gibraltar but a long shot for the playoffs, which is a very Scotland place to be.

Wales are doing better than usual. They've actually got a decent supporting cast behind the superstar winger for once, possibly helped by Swansea making a big leap forward in terms of club quality.

Northern Ireland are playing better than they have in a while and also benefiting from an incredibly easy group. That was probably the weakest qualifying group on paper before Greece fell off a cliff, and the first seeds struggling to finish ahead of the Faeroes will always open up a bit of space.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #334
MIJB#19
Coordinator

The Czech Republic and Iceland today qualified for Euro2016, while Latvia and Azerbaijan join the 'better luck next time' crowd.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:12 AM   #335
Grover
Pro Starter

How Dinamo Tbilisi enthralled British football fans in the midst of the Cold War | Football | The Guardian

Old 09-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #336
MIJB#19
Coordinator

The Euro2016 field today got expanded by Portugal.
Georgia and the Faroe Islands are no longer in the running. And apparently Serbia was too already.

Edit: apparently I missed that the Serbia-Albania game has been swapped around by CAS on July 9th 2015.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 09-07-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #337
miami_fan
Coordinator

I meant to post this yesterday. I just love the commentators' reaction.

EDIT: Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of that save.

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-07-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #338
miami_fan
Coordinator

Who knew Hulk had the kind of composure and skill?
Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #339
miami_fan
Coordinator

WTF, I changed the channel to see the last two points of the Williams sisters match and the score has gone from 2-0 to 4-0? My goodness

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-08-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #340
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This is an utter disaster.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #341
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yea, we scored
Old 09-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #342
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

A good breakdown by SBI on the Debacle in Foxboro:

Brazil 4, USMNT 1: The SBI Breakdown | Soccer By Ives

Ugh.. I had no idea Klinsmann threw Bedoya under the bus after asking him to play a defensive midfield role that he'd never played before. Will Klinsmann ever take the blame for his idiotic tactical decisions?

That and the very good question of what is the identity of this team leads to me to really be afraid of facing Mexico on Oct 10th.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:25 AM   #343
miami_fan
Coordinator

Breaking news involving keepers in the EPL

David De Gea signs new Manchester United contract

Thibaut Courtois suffered a knee injury and could be out a month or more.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #344
MrBug708
Head Coach

Crap. 90th minute goal
Old 09-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #345
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Nacho!
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #346
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Class fans at Palace. Scott Dann hacks at Aguero's knee (could've easily been a red) and then they have the gall to boo him as he stays down and hobbles off the pitch. He comes back on to give it a try, they then cheer when he asks to be substituted. Such a small-time hipster club.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #347
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

What place are Chelsea in the table now? The scroll button on my mouse is broke.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #348
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
What place are Chelsea in the table now? The scroll button on my mouse is broke.

can one ever get tired of watching Mourinho getting his come-upance? i hope not
Old 09-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #349
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Class fans at Palace. Scott Dann hacks at Aguero's knee (could've easily been a red) and then they have the gall to boo him as he stays down and hobbles off the pitch. He comes back on to give it a try, they then cheer when he asks to be substituted. Such a small-time hipster club.

To be fair, it was Man City
Old 09-12-2015, 11:00 PM   #350
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
can one ever get tired of watching Mourinho getting his come-upance? i hope not

Arsenal could have lost 4-0 to the Orcs today, and i still would have had a decent day. I never, ever, ever get tired of watching Mou lose.

The only thing that sucks is it's going to be a REALLY pissed off Chelsea team next week. Going to be a tough game to win.