Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #301
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yeah, he's not exactly earning himself a spot in UCLA lore just yet. Or at least not the good kind. Oh, for the days of Bethel-McLeod!

There is a reason SDSU helped him pack his bags to get him the hell out of there you know.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #302
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Wow
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #303
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wow wow wow
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #304
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

lol...can't say that's much of a shocker.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #305
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

What's the NCAA record for most interceptions thrown in a game?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #306
miami_fan
Coordinator

I have seen this before over the last couple of years. I think teams should avoid playing on Labor Day at all costs.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #307
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I wish I could blame Labor Day, but, really, JIMG is right on. This is our third stringer. And Macro is right that if he were the stud you would like to see there, he wouldn't have left SDSU, even if eh didn't see eye to eye with Chuck Long.

I think what I am disappointed by is that there should be more poise and intelligence exhibited with these passes. I didn't expect the kid to light it up, especially against a great D like Tennessee, but I thought with his past D1 experience, he wouldn't look like a shell-shocked freshman. And that's what he looks like right now.

It's odd for me to say this, because I am not a big fan of his, but if Olson is healthy, we're up a couple TDs right now. Instead, we're down by one score, and we really don't have an option to go to after this guy. So Craft has to figure it out now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #308
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
What's the NCAA record for most interceptions thrown in a game?

I would look it up, but I don't want to give myself a threshold of "badness" to root for avoiding.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #309
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Craft is 7 out of 18 for 66 yards, 0 TD's and 4 INT's.

His NCAA passing efficiency rating in the 1st half is 25.2 (using the NFL formula, it is 10.1)
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #310
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

His NCAA passing efficiency rating in the 1st half is 25.2 (using the NFL formula, it is 10.1)

So he's still better than Grossman? Good.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #311
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This is a replay of the South Carolina QB from Thursday. They won so that's a good sign for UCLA.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #312
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just a question.

Does anyone want to WIN this game?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #313
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Unbelievable. Giving up the third down turned out to be the best thing for UCLA, since we forced the fumble on the next play.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #314
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Just a question.

I do! But my eligibility has expired.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #315
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

I hope so ... since that would at least mean that this dually painful exhibition would be over.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #316
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I do! But my eligibility has expired.

I still have 2 years left...give me Rick's number and I'll go out for a try out!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #317
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, good pass, great catch, great hit. Whoda thunk that play happens in this game?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #318
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow, good pass, great catch, great hit. Whoda thunk that play happens in this game?

I believe that was the football equivalent of monkeys typing Shakespeare.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #319
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It's funny, really, because we're in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with our respective offensive issues. We came in with huge offensive line issues. My read is that passing offense, our line is quite a bit better than expected. But we're just as bad running it with this line as expected. We're getting outmuscled by the Tenn D-line. Result is, we can't run it, even though we have some pretty good backs.

Now, passing wise, we're protecting Craft pretty well, and Chow is using some roll outs to help, too (along with some quick pass plays). But that also puts the ball in our primary culprit's hands: Craft.

Craft was much better when Paulsen, his likely #1 safety valve and a difficult target to cover, was out there in the beginning. We're really missing him now, out with the ankle injury, and they just said Paulsen won't be back this game.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #320
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I believe that was the football equivalent of monkeys typing Shakespeare.

It was the best of times, it was the blorst of times.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #321
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good call. No catch. Fantastic throw, though. Maybe this Crompton kid ain't so bad.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #322
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good call. No catch. Fantastic throw, though. Maybe this Crompton kid ain't so bad.

13/28 for 143 & a pick. Don't get carried away
Old 09-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #323
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
13/28 for 143 & a pick. Don't get carried away

Heh, true enough. To be fair, though, I really think that UCLA's defense got a lot of unfair "down" talk in the offseason because of losing Bruce Davis and the entire starting secondary. But it is actually a very good defense that might end up even better this year. We were very deep in the seconday and the recruiting class there was great, Carter is the most talented middlebacker we have had since Justin London, Alterraun Verner was actually a bit better than either of our four year starters at corner last year, and the broadcasting team is rightly pointing out how terrific the tackle duo of Harwell-Price is. Verner, Price, Harwell, Carter and Moore (at least) should be playing in the NFL soon.

And Crompton's not getting much help from his line (although they're playing better now). And he looks much, much better than Craft.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #324
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Look, ma! An offensive score!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #325
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looks like a baaad call.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #326
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

That was a safety. Great play by UT. Bad call by the refs.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #327
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, UT was favored by 7. Think the bettors are a little worried what to make of this one right now?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #328
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't know how they review that and come up with the same call. Seemed obvious to me.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #329
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I reiterate my question from earlier:

Does anyone want to win this game?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #330
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow. That offside.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-01-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #331
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

But UT has a nice punt return and are looking good right now to add more than they would have gotten from a safety and a long drive.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #332
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow. That offside.

I will offer this up once more.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #333
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok. End the game. Give both teams a L and move on
Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #334
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow. That offside.

Ok, I'll just keep quoting this time every time UT shoots itself in the foot.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #335
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Still can't f'n block anybody. Still making the same mental mistakes, Foster back to fumbling, finally hit a FG and get a delay of game. This shit is getting very old. All that's left to return to some of the recent horrors is for the defense to start arm tackling again.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #336
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I owe bhlloy an apology. His early criticism is spot on. There was no reason for Craft to be throwing far downfield. He is doing well with the rinky-dink.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #337
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't know how they review that and come up with the same call. Seemed obvious to me.

Disagree. The forward most point of the ball reached the goalline when the forward progress was stopped.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #338
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Disagree. The forward most point of the ball reached the goalline when the forward progress was stopped.

Really? I didn't see that. I thought the ball was clearly still in the endzone when his knee hit and that the ball didn't progress forward out into the field of play until the second surge after the knee touch. But I have been looking back and forth between the screen and the computer, so maybe I missed a better replay (the one I saw was from slightly behind Carter).

Old 09-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #339
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What a catch!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #340
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, you're kidding me.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #341
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

This is great!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #342
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Who is this guy? Where is Kevin Craft?

WTF am I talking about? Who the F cares where the real Craft is!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #343
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is great!

Glad this game could get more entertaining for once. Broadcasters are saying right now how terrific it is for Craft to turn this around and what it says about his character. I agree 100%.

BTW, I don't think that should be a TD.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #344
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Huh, they made it stand. Okay, Dr. Sak, tell me how that stands? I am actually curious. Maybe I don't understand the rule.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #345
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Should have fired Fat Phil & the consistently clueless John Chavis a long time ago. Instead, the idiots in charge of the money gave the Fat One an extension to ensure continued seasons of mediocrity, spotty recruiting, and unconscionable losses. There ought to be a moving fan in front of the sorry son of a bitch's house when he gets back to Knoxville.

And the same is true even if they somehow get a miracle & rally.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #346
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Huh, they made it stand. Okay, Dr. Sak, tell me how that stands? I am actually curious. Maybe I don't understand the rule.

The goalline extends out of bounds. Even though the ball was in his right hand and out of bounds he wasn't out of bounds yet (by touching anywhere out of bounds) so it is a TD.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #347
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Really? I didn't see that. I thought the ball was clearly still in the endzone when his knee hit and that the ball didn't progress forward out into the field of play until the second surge after the knee touch. But I have been looking back and forth between the screen and the computer, so maybe I missed a better replay (the one I saw was from slightly behind Carter).

From what I saw I thought his initial surge got him near or right on the goalline then he was pushed back. Rule of thumb for us officials is to give the offensive guy the benefit of the doubt that he got out unless there is no question he was stopped in the endzone.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #348
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Facemask
Old 09-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #349
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
From what I saw I thought his initial surge got him near or right on the goalline then he was pushed back. Rule of thumb for us officials is to give the offensive guy the benefit of the doubt that he got out unless there is no question he was stopped in the endzone.

That seems pretty f'ing stupid to me. Why assume one thing or other instead of just calling it as accurately as possible?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #350
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
That seems pretty f'ing stupid to me. Why assume one thing or other instead of just calling it as accurately as possible?

I don't have the luxury or instant replay like they do so that's just what we are told.