Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-18-2006, 11:36 PM   #301
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
The fact the medals drop into the U.S. win column is just an added bonus.

Bode Miller's first thought at the top of the hill this week likely wasn't how the folks back home would love him to win, but how many more millions he might get out of Nike for doing so. Hedrick himself will do a lot better financially should he come home with multiple golds instead of the one already in his pocket for winning the 5,000.

Maybe that had something to do with Hedrick still not being able to get over Davis' perceived slight two days after the team pursuit. Or maybe he's just a rah-rah kind of guy who got in this speedskating stuff late and doesn't really understand that skaters, whether competing in sequins or speed suits, are basically only in it for themselves.

Davis said as much afterward when he talked about skating since he was 6 years old and joking with friends as a kid that he would someday win the Olympic 1,000. Those friends long ago hung up their skates, but Davis kept after it, knowing that chances for Olympic glory come around only every four years and can be fleeting indeed.

He wasn't approached until a week ago about even being in the team pursuit, and he didn't want to hurt his chances for gold in his best race by throwing off his carefully planned schedule. He didn't apologize for it because he felt he didn't need to. Still doesn't.

But when he should have been enjoying his Olympic moment, Davis had to explain how he was not somehow un-American.

"A lot of people might think I'm unpatriotic or not a team player," he said. "But if the shoe was on the other foot, would he have skated the team pursuit if the team pursuit was a day before the 5,000? We will never know."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...oly&id=2335438
Old 02-19-2006, 12:01 AM   #302
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

womens short track speedskating:
I thought it was extremely unclear why the 3rd Korean skater was DQes just now. I think the announcers/replay did nothing to help there.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 02-19-2006 at 12:01 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:24 AM   #303
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

yeah, they do a horrible job of explaining what's going on. In part because they assume we knoW.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:13 AM   #304
MrBug708
Head Coach

What the hell is Shani Davis' problem?

Last edited by MrBug708 : 02-19-2006 at 01:50 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:15 AM   #305
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
What the hell is Shani White's problem?
Tell me about it. Guy has a huge log up his ass. I want to root for him, but he comes off like a total asshat.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:44 AM   #306
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Apparently, in other interviews he was way better. He had a particular problem with NBC for adding fuel to that whole Hedrick/Team Pursuit issue.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:33 PM   #307
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
What the hell is Shani Davis' problem?

Wow, that was an ugly interview. He was like TO without the personality.

The Canadian men's hockey team lost again this time to Finland. Are the Canadians struggling? Or do they figure they can coast into the next round?

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #308
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good day tomorrow with USA men's hockey at 7am on USA and men's curling at 4pm on CNBC where USA faces Canada in the semifinals.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #309
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Shani Davis with another winning comment in the post race interview!
Old 02-22-2006, 12:10 AM   #310
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui

Ouch.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:13 AM   #311
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Missed it. What did Senor jackass say this time?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:19 AM   #312
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Missed it. What did Senor jackass say this time?
He and Hendrick were sitting in an interview after finishing Silver (Davis) and Bronze (Hendrick) and talked fairly nicely for a half hour, basically saying they respected each other and all that. Then all of a sudden (really out of NO WHERE) Davis says, he was disappointed that his fellow teammate, Hendrick, didn't shake his hand after the race, and how wrong it was for a teammate to not do that. Hendrick was completely taken aback, and countered (after a minute of shocked silence) by saying that a true teammate would have partipated in the Pursuit and he was disappointed they lost a chance for a medal because of it.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:23 AM   #313
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

http://www.nbcolympics.com/speedskat...22/detail.html

Quote:
Finally, the truth came out.
Davis was still mad that Hedrick didn't shake his hand after Davis' victory Saturday in the 1000m. This time, Hedrick did shake hands and offer his congratulations, but that clearly was too late to soothe Davis' feelings.

"I'll be honest with you,'' said Davis, the first African-American man to win an individual gold medal in the Winter Olympics. "Sure, Chad and I are fighting for the same thing. But it would have been kind of nice after I won the 1000m if he would have been a good teammate and shook my hand.''

With that, Davis jumped out of his seat and stormed from the room, mumbling on his way through the door, "Shakes my hand when I lose. Typical Chad.''

A response, Chad?

Now sitting alone at the podium, Hedrick didn't back down. He flipped on his microphone and said he was upset that Davis wouldn't take part in the team pursuit last week because he wanted to focus on his individual races.

A Hedrick-led trio was upset by the Italians in the quarterfinals, doomed by a slower skater who probably wouldn't have been on the ice if Davis had been available.

"We're all part of Team USA,'' Hedrick said. "We had a great opportunity to win the team pursuit. I felt betrayed in a way. Not only did he not participate, he wouldn't even discuss it with me as a leader of the team. I thought we passed up a medal.''

Hedrick insisted he wasn't mad because the loss in team pursuit cost him a chance to win five gold medals -- an issue that's no longer relevant anyway since he finished sixth in the 1000m and took bronze in the 1500m.

"This had nothing to do with the five gold medals,'' said Hedrick, who started his Olympics with a dominating win in the 5000m. "I just felt betrayed in a way.''

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:26 AM   #314
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I dunno- it seems like they're trying to get the Kerrigan/Harding thing again. "I know, for the sake of ratings, we need a new conflict! Let's use these trump up these two getting in a sissy slap fight."

SI

Old 02-22-2006, 12:31 AM   #315
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I dunno- it seems like they're trying to get the Kerrigan/Harding thing again. "I know, for the sake of ratings, we need a new conflict! Let's use these trump up these two getting in a sissy slap fight."

SI
:shrug: They genuinely seem not to like each other, IMO.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:14 AM   #316
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
:shrug: They genuinely seem not to like each other, IMO.
Yeah, but who are we to care. However, when placed against a backdrop of "Day 9: The Speed Skating Watch", lots of people get duped into caring like a bunch of white trash morons.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-22-2006 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:21 AM   #317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, but who are we to care. However, when placed against a backdrop of "Day 9: The Speed Skating Watch", lots of people get duped into caring like a bunch of white trash morons.

As opposed to what exactly? I mean, absent the drama, how many people really give a fuck about speedskating (insert Winter Olympic sport here) otherwise?
At least people can kind of relate to the intense dislike of someone you don't have much choice about being around.

Point being, the choice is play up the controversy or have even fewer people paying attention at all.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:45 AM   #318
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
As opposed to what exactly? I mean, absent the drama, how many people really give a fuck about speedskating (insert Winter Olympic sport here) otherwise?
At least people can kind of relate to the intense dislike of someone you don't have much choice about being around.

Point being, the choice is play up the controversy or have even fewer people paying attention at all.

Hence people's absurd fascination with the reality shows

Not really a comment on the discussion as a whole, but Jon's post really hit the nail on the head regarding people's opinion of TV-entertainment nowadays.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #319
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
Hence people's absurd fascination with the reality shows

Not really a comment on the discussion as a whole, but Jon's post really hit the nail on the head regarding people's opinion of TV-entertainment nowadays.
Well, I know. And I also hate it. But that doesn't mean I can't at least call them out on it.

SI

Old 02-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #320
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Well, I know. And I also hate it. But that doesn't mean I can't at least call them out on it.

SI

No, you are correct. I saw your comment more as an observation than anything else.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #321
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Winter Olympics Score Record Ratings on Cable
NBC's coverage of the Turin Winter Olympics may have reached an all-time low in the ratings, but the Games have turned out to be a boon for the NBC Universal cable outlets USA Network, MSNBC, and CNBC. Several events -- in particular ice hockey and curling -- have tripled the two cable networks' usual numbers, according to Nielsen Media Research. NBC Universal said Tuesday that coverage of women's curling on Saturday averaged 1.26 million viewers on MSNBC -- making it the network's most-watched Saturday broadcast since the start of the war in Iraq nearly three years ago. CNBC saw an even larger growth spurt. While it averaged just 155,000 viewers in primetime in January, it averaged 1.04 million last week for its curling coverage. USA Network was reportedly averaging 1 million viewers, up 51 percent from a year ago.

Go curling and hockey!

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:03 PM   #322
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Woo!

SI

Old 02-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #323
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm really glad to know I'm not the only one that has gotten hooked on Curling.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:10 PM   #324
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

It is too bad about all of the Davis stuff. He could have made a really great story, but his attitude really makes me want to root against him.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:32 PM   #325
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Nice to hear USA and CNBC is doing great in ratings. I'm sure NBC is going to scoring high numbers during female figure skating and late rounds of Olympic hockey.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:46 PM   #326
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Dang, that 9th frame hurt.

SI

Old 02-22-2006, 06:48 PM   #327
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ouch, that was just a painful 9th end.

SI

Old 02-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #328
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Ouch, that was just a painful 9th end.

SI
Yea, the US did not play well today at all. Hopefully we can still win the bronze.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:40 PM   #329
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I watched some of the curling today, and it just didn't hook me.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:22 AM   #330
Butter
Coordinator

The curling men played like the curling women in the semifinal. Maybe they'll have more confidence against GBR in the final, since they've already beaten them once.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #331
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
The curling men played like the curling women in the semifinal. Maybe they'll have more confidence against GBR in the final, since they've already beaten them once.
Speaking of which, the gold medal women's match is on USA right now

SI

Old 02-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #332
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Count me as liking curling.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:45 PM   #333
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Amazing shot by Norberg (who I still keep looking up, expecting to see OJ in a wheelchair every time they say her name) to win the women's gold medal in extra ends.

SI

Old 02-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #334
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

For anyone who didn't know, they showed the US winning the bronze in curling earlier today. Right now, on tv on USA, U-15 and Finland are facing Canada where they declared a half holiday in Newfoundland for this match.

SI

Old 02-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #335
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, so after watching 3 hours of curling, it's time for hockey on USA. Good times

SI

Old 02-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #336
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Nice to hear USA and CNBC is doing great in ratings. I'm sure NBC is going to scoring high numbers during female figure skating and late rounds of Olympic hockey.

It would be interesting to see what NBC's numbers looked like last night for the figure skating. The event was a bit of a dub, no real great performances, outside the Japanese skater.

As for Olympic hockey, because of the time difference, I think the only game being shown on NBC will be the gold medal game (maybe the bronze, but who cares about that?). And the gold medal game is live at 8:00 am Sunday and will not involve a North American team. Not great for NBC. The 2002 Olympics were just a perfect, right time zone, and a US vs. Canada finals.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #337
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Amazing shot by Norberg (who I still keep looking up, expecting to see OJ in a wheelchair every time they say her name) to win the women's gold medal in extra ends.

SI

It's the second Olympics in a row where the Women's Curling Gold Medal was won on the last shot. Pretty exciting stuff.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:08 PM   #338
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Apparently there was a streaker at the US curling match earlier today. Not that I really want to link to or look at it, as apparently it has a picture, but the friend who passed it along said a paragraph of the story started with the line "With poultry for a loin cloth"...

SI

Old 02-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #339
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
For anyone who didn't know, they showed the US winning the bronze in curling earlier today. Right now, on tv on USA, U-15 and Finland are facing Canada where they declared a half holiday in Newfoundland for this match.

SI

Kids had a half day off here from school... awesome game... for those that know what George Street is, it'll be rocking tonight!!!!
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #340
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Kids had a half day off here from school... awesome game... for those that know what George Street is, it'll be rocking tonight!!!!

I love the fact that there is a street in the world tonight, George Street to be exact, that will be "rocking tonight!!!!" because of a gold medal win in curling. It's excellent.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #341
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I love the fact that there is a street in the world tonight, George Street to be exact, that will be "rocking tonight!!!!" because of a gold medal win in curling. It's excellent.

This ain't just any street... it's not even .25 of a km.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_...C_St._John%27s
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:45 PM   #342
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Impressive nonetheless

SI

Old 02-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #343
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Impressive nonetheless

SI

I should have added... it's less than .25 of a km but it has like 50 bars...
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:01 PM   #344
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
I should have added... it's less than .25 of a km but it has like 50 bars...
A Km is like the Canadian equivalent of a mile, right?

SI

Old 02-25-2006, 02:27 PM   #345
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

1 km = .6 miles (plus a little change). So, basically it's a little longer than a tenth of a mile.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #346
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
1 km = .6 miles (plus a little change). So, basically it's a little longer than a tenth of a mile.

Seriously?

I thought pretty much anyone who had to take any sort of high school math or science class, much less college, probably knew what a km was.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-25-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #347
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I normally don't like human interest stories, but this one by NBC on Eugenio Monti (the bobsleder) is absolutely great! What a true sportsman!
Old 02-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #348
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The Bode Miller experience is over. A pathetic showing in his 5th event in which he was DQ'd (yet again.) No medals for Bode.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #349
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but it was followed up with the 4-man bobsled finals so it's all good

Hm.. I'll have to flip between this and the KU/UT game.

SI

Old 02-25-2006, 10:13 PM   #350
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

That was a great speedskating relay race.