Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #301
wade moore
lolzcat

Hah...

I laugh just looking at the screenshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #302
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Did Troy Smith hit on one of the linemen's girlfriends or something? Cause they're not even trying to block for him.

I have to assume that this is a function of defensive scheming - it's mostly not that the guys are getting flat out beaten by their defenders (though there's some of that), it's mostly that they are coming unblocked as the OL are looking disoriented, etc. The OSU line isn't the team strength it often is, but it's not dreadful -- but they have looked just dreadful tonight.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #303
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tim Tebow looks like Jared Lorezen ... only with a lot more help.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #304
KWhit
Coordinator

And to think we very nearly had OSU vs. Michigan tonight.

Shudders.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #305
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

OSU defense is done... just look bone tired.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #306
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Tim Tebow looks like Jared Lorezen ... only with a lot more help.

Well, and about 100 less lbs ...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #307
Easy Mac

Troy Smith's game today is historically bad for Heisman winners, even worse than Eric Crouch, the past few ones:

Troy Smith4/13362.801
also 9 rushes for -23 yards

Quote:
How Heisman trophy winners have performed in bowl games since 1995:

Eddie George, RB, Ohio State (328 carries, 1,927 yards, 24 TDs, 5.9 ypc).

Regular season: 303 carries, 1,820 yards, 23 touchdowns.

Bowl Game: 25 carries for 107 yards, one TD in a 20-14 loss to Tennessee in the Citrus Bowl.

Danny Wuerffel, QB, Florida (207-for-360, 3,625 yards, 39 TDs, 13 INTs).

Regular season: 189-for-326, 3,319 yards, 36 TDs, 12 INTs.

Bowl game: 18-for-34, 306 yards, three TDs, one INT and a rushing TD in a 52-20 win in the Sugar Bowl over Florida State to give Florida its only national championship.

Charles Woodson, DB, Michigan (eight INTs, 12 catches for 238 yards and two TDs, five carries for 21 yards and one TD, 36 punt returns for 301 yards and one TD)

Regular season: seven INTs, 33 punt returns for 283 yards and one TD, five carries for 21 yards and one TD, 11 catches for 231 yards and two TDs, three carries for 15 yards and one TD.

Bowl game: three punt returns for 18 yards, two carries for six yards, one catch for seven yards, one INT in a 21-16 win over Washington State in the Rose Bowl to give Michigan the AP national title.

Ricky Williams, RB, Texas (391 carries, 2,327, 29 TDs, 5.9 ypc)

Regular season: 361 carries for 2,124 yards, 27 TDs, 5.9 ypc

Bowl game: 30 carries for 203 yards and two TDs in a 38-11 Cotton Bowl win over Mississippi State.

Ron Dayne, RB, Wisconsin (337 carries, 2,034 yards, 6.0 ypc, 19 touchdowns)

Regular season: 303 carries for 1,834 yards, 6.0 ypc, 18 TDs

Bowl game: 34 carries for 200 yards, one TD in a 38-31 win over UCLA in the Rose Bowl.

Chris Weinke, QB, Florida State (291-for-483, 4,441 yards, 33 TDs, 13 INTs)

Regular season: 266-for-431, 4,167 yards, 33 TDs, 11 INTs

Bowl game: 25-for-52, 274 yards, two INTs in a 13-2 national championship loss to Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

Eric Crouch, QB, Nebraska (225 carries, 1,229 yards, 18 TDs, 110-for-204, 1,572 yards, 11 INTs, seven TDs, one catch for 63 yards, one TD)

Regular season: 203 carries for 1,115 yards, 18 TDs, 5.5 ypc, 105-for-189, 1,510 yards, 10 INTs, seven TDs, one catch for 63 yards, one TD.

Bowl game: 22 carries for 114 yards, 5-for-15 for 62 yards and an interception in a 37-14 loss in the national championship to Miami in the Rose Bowl.

Carson Palmer, QB, USC (309-for-489, 3,942, 33 TDs, 10 INTs).

Regular season: 288-for-458, 3,639 yards, 32 TDs.

Bowl game: 21-for-31, 303 yards, one TD in a 38-17 win over Iowa in the Orange Bowl.

Jason White, QB, Oklahoma (278-for-451, 3,846 yards, 40 TDs, 10 INTs).

Regular season: 265-for-414, 3,744, 40 TDs, 8 INTs.

Bowl game: 13-for-37, 102 yards, and two interceptions as Oklahoma lost 21-14 to LSU in the BCS national championship game in the Sugar Bowl.

Matt Leinart, QB, USC (269-for-412, 3,322 yards, 33 TDs, six INTs).

Regular season: 251-for-377, 2,990 yards, 28 TDs, six INTs.

Bowl game: 18-for-35, 332 yards and five TDs as USC won its second straight national championship with a 55-19 win over Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

Reggie Bush, RB, USC (200 carries for 1,777 yards and 16 TDs, 8.7 ypc, 37 catches for 478 yards and two TDs, 18 punt returns for 179 yards and one TD).

Regular season: 187 carries for 1,694 yards and 15 TDs, 9.1 ypc, 31 catches for 383 yards and one TD.

Bowl game: 13 carries for 83 yards and one TD, six catches for 95 yards as USC’s try for a third straight national title was foiled in a 41-38 loss to Texas in the Rose Bowl.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #308
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That looked like it would have been an interesting play if not for the false start.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #309
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I have to assume that this is a function of defensive scheming - it's mostly not that the guys are getting flat out beaten by their defenders (though there's some of that), it's mostly that they are coming unblocked as the OL are looking disoriented, etc. The OSU line isn't the team strength it often is, but it's not dreadful -- but they have looked just dreadful tonight.
Well, yeah...UF is running a bunch of DL twists. On that play, the OSU LT went right only to find that guy cutting in towards the center. By the time the tackle knew where the guy he was supposed to block was at, he was already driving Smith's head into the dirt.

In short: It was party, party time for the UF front four.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #310
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
OSU defense is done... just look bone tired.

Yes. 2nd and Goal and the OSU defense looked beat.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #311
QuikSand
lolzcat

You can't really judge all that much by one game, but this Meyer/Florida offense does seem awfully tough to defend. They clearly have real talent, but the scheme does a lot to flatter them and to get around their weaknesses (lack of a strong traditional running game, most notably).

The notion that a generally disciplined team like OSU with all this time to prepare for them has seemed this baffled is inexcusable... but I presume that throughout the season, the Florida offense wasn't such an unstoppable juggernaut... or, you know, maybe those of us on the sports fringe would have heard a bit more about them before now.

Last edited by QuikSand : 01-08-2007 at 10:36 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #312
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Well, yeah...UF is running a bunch of DL twists. On that play, the OSU LT went right only to find that guy cutting in towards the center. By the time the tackle knew where the guy he was supposed to block was at, he was already driving Smith's head into the dirt.

In short: It was party, party time for the UF front four.

If I'm giving the game ball, it deifnitely goes to the UF front 4. Sure Leak has played great, but if tOSU scores like they usually do, that is negated a bit. The line has just completely changed the outlook of this game.

Quote:
Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #313
st.cronin
General Manager

Heck,

New Hampshire beat Northwestern.
Northwestern beat Miami OH.
Miami OH beat Bowling Green.

LarryMcG has already finished that one. But, clearly, New Hampshire has the best college football team in the country this year.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #314
Easy Mac

Quote:
You can't really judge all that much by one game, but this Meyer/Florida offense does seem awfully tough to defend. They clearly have real talent, but the scheme does a lot to flatter them and to get around their weaknesses (lack of a strong traditional running game, most notably).

The notion that a generally disciplined team liek OSU with all this time to prepare for them has seemed this baffled is inexcusable... but I presume that throughout the season, the Florida offense wasn't such an unstoppalbe juggernaut... or, you know, maybe those of us on the sports fringe would have heard a bit more about them before now.

i was pretty unimpressed during the season, and I saw practically all of their games.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #315
thetrilogy
Mascot

You wanna crown 'em then crown 'em! The buckeyes are who we thought they were

I LUV IT.

Noting but buckeyes being jammed down our throats here for the last 5 months.

THAT IS WHEY THEY PLAY THE GAMES.
THUS ENDETH THE LESSON.
thetrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #316
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The notion that a generally disciplined team liek OSU with all this time to prepare for them has seemed this baffled is inexcusable... but I presume that throughout the season, the Florida offense wasn't such an unstoppalbe juggernaut... or, you know, maybe those of us on the sports fringe would have heard a bit more about them before now.

Yeah it seems this offense is a bit more than gimmicky, eh? True, it was derided at Utah, because it was Utah and they beat Pitt. But this is Florida, and they won the SEC, and now are drubbing OSU.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #317
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

From my experience with UF this year as a SEC fan and UF hater, the UF offense has been what I would call "inconsistent". They have played like this in spurts, but this is the first time they have really put it together from start to finish against a quality opponent. I think anyone who has watched them much this year thought they were capable of this, but they always seemed to just not put it together for 4 quarters.

Quote:
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #318
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

TEBOW FOR TEH WIN!!1!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #319
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That's nothing.

Stanford beat Washington
Washington beat UCLA
UCLA beat USC
USC beat Arkansas
Arkansas beat Auburn
Auburn beat Florida
Florida (is) beat(ing) Ohio State

And Stanford had a much better SOS than Temple

Well clearly Temple and Stanford should have played for the National Championship.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #320
KWhit
Coordinator

The underdog has won almost every one of these BCS Natl Championship games. When will people realize that we just don't know after 11-12 games who the best teams are?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #321
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A playoff more than likely would have had a Florida-LSU rematch in the final.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #322
SFL Cat
College Starter

I guess that retired Big 10 Coach who picked Florida to win and said Ohio State hasn't played anyone besides Michigan isn't looking so crazy any more.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #323
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I wonder what all those Florida fans who wanted to replace Leak the last few years (especially this year) are saying now? Good for Leak, but almost a shame that those asshole fans get to share in it as well.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #324
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Old 01-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #325
Easy Mac

to be fair, 3 years ago, Leak was in the opposite position.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #326
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
I guess that retired Big 10 Coach who picked Florida to win and said Ohio State hasn't played anyone besides Michigan isn't looking so crazy any more.

Was that Barry Alvarez?

knives out
Old 01-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #327
SFL Cat
College Starter

Leak won't be an NFL QB, plain and simple.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #328
Easy Mac

Quote:

Crazy
Old 01-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #329
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Was that Barry Alvarez?

No, it wasn't Alvarez. I'll have to get my paper to check it.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #330
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I wonder what all those Florida fans who wanted to replace Leak the last few years (especially this year) are saying now? Good for Leak, but almost a shame that those asshole fans get to share in it as well.

No different than the Texas fans that wanted Mack Brown run out of town before last season. There will always be disgruntled fans, and at the top programs they get more attention.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #331
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And Troy Smith continues his drive for negative total yardage.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #332
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

Uh, I really, really disagree. I think both qbs in this game end up starting in the NFL.

knives out
Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #333
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow, is about all I can come up with.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #334
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
And to think we very nearly had OSU vs. Michigan tonight.

Shudders.

Very true. If the voters had been dumb enough to go for the rematch, we actually would have had either UM or OSU as national champions. Judging by the thorough whoopings they received from USC and UF, that would have been a travesty.

This season has proved another college football truism. The Big 10 (especially UM) is overrated.

N.B. I am not a Big 10 hater, hell I was pulling hard for OSU against Miami a few years back. And I love Paterno.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 01-08-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #335
amdaily
College Prospect

I bet after the Aloha Bowl Zwick will be drafted above Smith. Always been a fan, he should have never been benched 2 years ago.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #336
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
No different than the Texas fans that wanted Mack Brown run out of town before last season. There will always be disgruntled fans, and at the top programs they get more attention.

And I was sad that those asshole fans would get to celebrate the title as well.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #337
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Uh, I really, really disagree. I think both qbs in this game end up starting in the NFL.
Leak will get a shot, but he really doesn't have great arm strength. Tends to put too much air underneath any pass over 20 yards. That's why the OSU defense scheme has been ridiculous all night.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #338
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily View Post
I bet after the Aloha Bowl Zwick will be drafted above Smith. Always been a fan, he should have never been benched 2 years ago.

omg

knives out
Old 01-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #339
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quite a few records could be broken tonight (although just one busted coverage could change a lot of it).

Fewest Passing Yards, Championship Game
62-Nebraska vs. Miami (Fla.), Rose, Jan. 3, 2002 (5 completions)

Fewest Completions, Championship Game
5-Nebraska vs. Miami (Fla.), Rose, Jan. 3, 2002 (15 attempts)
7-Ohio St. vs. Miami (Fla.), Fiesta, Jan. 3, 2003 (21 attempts)

Fewest Total Yards, Championship Game
154-Oklahoma vs. LSU, Sugar, Jan. 4, 2004 (52 rush, 102 pass)

Most Total Plays, Championship Game
82-Texas vs. Southern California, Rose, Jan. 4, 2006
Old 01-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #340
SFL Cat
College Starter

Leak is just another in a long line of Florida QBs who can look back at a nice college career, but won't do much in the pros.

At this point, I think Smith is a poor man's Michael Vick.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #341
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Leak will get a shot, but he really doesn't have great arm strength. Tends to put too much air underneath any pass over 20 yards. That's why the OSU defense scheme has been ridiculous all night.

One thing I've learned about myself - I'm a terrible judge of what college QB's will/won't be good in the NFL.

Quote:
Old 01-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #342
Easy Mac

Quote:
Leak is just another in a long line of Florida QBs who can look back at a nice college career, but won't do much in the pros.

At this point, I think Smith is a poor man's Michael Vick.

Other than color, they're not very similar
Old 01-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #343
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily View Post

As a Texas fan, I wish he would have played at the game in Austin this season.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #344
st.cronin
General Manager

Troy Smith is pretty much Drew Brees. Chris Leak is in the same mold, but I don't think he's as good.

knives out
Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #345
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What a great result for Florida... I wonder what all those "experts" who predicted OSU would roll over Florida are saying now?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #346
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Quote:

Dumbest statement of the night
Old 01-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #347
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
What a great result for Florida... I wonder what all those "experts" who predicted OSU would roll over Florida are saying now?
"51 days"

"Ginn was hurt"

"I bent my buckeye"
Old 01-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #348
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Florida just delivered up a 40-burger.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #349
st.cronin
General Manager

I would like to congratulate the New England Patriots Farm Team for winning the Tostitos Bowl. I would also like to congratulate the Boise State Broncos for WINNING THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knives out
Old 01-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #350
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's kind of like basketball now, on any given day.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote