Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #301
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I actually saw it during the week it was released (ah, DVR fun), and I do have to agree that the proposal was really sweet (looks like Pam, Oscar, and Jim saved the day).

As for Will Ferrell... it'd be interesting to see him try more of a straight man... I can hope!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #302
Danny
Head Coach

Great episode!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #303
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Will Ferrell is a horrible choice, about as idiotic as having Ken Berry follow Andy Griffin and calling the new show Mayberry RFD.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #304
DanGarion
Coordinator

I've been hearing Ricky Gervais might end up the boss...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #305
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Gervais would be a brilliant choice.

not sure about Ferrell. my first reaction is that he's too over the top...but since that's how they play Michael anyway, it may not be that ridiculous. it could work.

that quote sounded like he was just fucking around though
Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #306
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and yes, that was a great episode and awesome proposal
Old 03-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #307
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Loved the episode.

As I was saying on DC's Facebook post, I'm not into Farrell as Carrell's replacement, but I think Gervais would be equally bad. Rumors are apparently also circulating saying it's going to be Will Arnett. I don't like any of these choices. I think they are good for the people that like the episodes that make you cringe because of what the boss does...for me, those episodes are usually weak.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #308
RainMaker
General Manager

Farrell would be nice for a few episodes but no way is he a long term option. Gervais would be perfect. In a weird way, I'm sort of looking forward to Michael being gone. His character is annoying more than funny the last few seasons.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #309
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Will Ferrell is a horrible choice, about as idiotic as having Ken Berry follow Andy Griffin and calling the new show Mayberry RFD.

I can't think of any way this compares to that. Any way at all.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #310
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Loved the episode.

As I was saying on DC's Facebook post, I'm not into Farrell as Carrell's replacement, but I think Gervais would be equally bad. Rumors are apparently also circulating saying it's going to be Will Arnett. I don't like any of these choices. I think they are good for the people that like the episodes that make you cringe because of what the boss does...for me, those episodes are usually weak.

/tk

I like Will Arnett, but I don't know about how well he'd fit. Could work, it just depends. I think Gervais would be death, but I hope he does do another cameo.

Honestly, I hoped they'd just promote someone internally and not really bring another Micheal level character in. They have enough characters now that they aren't doing enough with. Darrell as boss would have been great. Kelly might have even been fun.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #311
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thought it was a great episode as well.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #312
Swaggs
Coordinator

I really enjoyed the episode, too.

Of the three names mentioned (Ferrell, Gervais, and Arnett), I think Ferrell would actually work pretty well as long as he isn't too over the top/party animalish. I think he'd be pretty good as a kind of clueless, but trying to fit in type of boss (kind of folksy but clueless, like his Dubya impersonation would be cool).

Gervais would be fine, but not much of a new dynamic for me. Kind of a safe choice.

I really don't think Arnett is funny. I hope it isn't him.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #313
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I was under the impression that everyone knew that Farrell was doing the final 4 episodes.

It was even mentioned about earlier in this thread

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - The Office -- Season 6

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-29-2011 at 12:27 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #314
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I was under the impression that everyone knew that Farrell was doing the final 4 episodes.

It was even mentioned about earlier in this thread

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - The Office -- Season 6

Yeah, it has even been mentioned in commercials. But in the article he states that he has signed on for next season. That was the news.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #315
RainMaker
General Manager

I sort of don't want it to be someone who dominates the show like Michael did the last few seasons. They have such a unique and dynamic cast that I'd like to see other people used more.

I feel like the show does a good job of bringing in new characters too. Gabe is really good and I always enjoy seeing him used.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #316
GrantDawg

Just as an FYI- Pam's hotness peak was official hit on "A Benihana Christmas" in Season 3. That red sweater was just special. That is all.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #317
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The biggest issue with all the Carrell replacement's being rumored is they all are at their best playing nearly exact clones of Michael Scott. That well has run dry. I think they need a straight man to replace Scott.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #318
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
IOf the three names mentioned (Ferrell, Gervais, and Arnett), I think Ferrell would actually work pretty well as long as he isn't too over the top/party animalish. I think he'd be pretty good as a kind of clueless, but trying to fit in type of boss (kind of folksy but clueless, like his Dubya impersonation would be cool).

If he played a character like he did in "Stranger Than Fiction", I think it could work. But I doubt they'll go in that direction.

But, speaking of Will Arnett (who I do think is fully), I think Jason Bateman may be perfect.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #319
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I believe the perfect choice is so obvious that no one here is thinking of it. And he's going to be available soon, so it all makes perfect sense.

{wait for it}

{wait for it}

Regis Philbin

{be glad I didn't have the heart to slap a spoiler tag on it}
Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #320
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Though it would never happen my dream replacement for Carrell is Bill Murray. I am not sure how people would even respond to it because it would be so bizarre.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #321
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
If he played a character like he did in "Stranger Than Fiction", I think it could work. But I doubt they'll go in that direction.

But, speaking of Will Arnett (who I do think is fully), I think Jason Bateman may be perfect.

Jason Batemen would be beyond awesome. I wonder why they never even thought of that one? Bill Murray would have been intersting as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #322
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I could actually see Bateman.

Other than that, I agree with the sentiment that they should promote from within.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:14 AM   #323
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I can't think of any way this compares to that. Any way at all.

And that is why I have never had respect for your opinions, ever, at any time, on any topic.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 AM   #324
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
And that is why I have never had respect for your opinions, ever, at any time, on any topic.

Funny, I had this long reasoned arguement on how the two don't compare, but didn't have the time to post it when I orginally responded. I figured if you asked I would later. Then you come with some strange out of the blue personal attack, and saved me the trouble. Thanks.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-31-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #325
RainMaker
General Manager

They should make Gabe take Michael's role. Him getting walked all over and overwhelmed would make for some good laughs. As Detox said, I don't want a Michael Scott clone. That character is beyond played out.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #326
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They should make Gabe take Michael's role. Him getting walked all over and overwhelmed would make for some good laughs. As Detox said, I don't want a Michael Scott clone. That character is beyond played out.

That would be very amusing, actually.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #327
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

[QUOTJust as an FYI- Pam's hotness peak was official hit on "A Benihana Christmas" in Season 3. That red sweater was just special. That is all.E][/quote]. See, now this is all wrong. Red sweater christmas Pam would be jealous of how hot backwards jog lipsync Pam was. Now, this might be an unfair comparison given backwards jog lipsync Pam's ratio of bounce / ounce. To be fair we would probably need red sweater christmas Pam to jog around backwards for a bit.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #328
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post
[QUOTJust as an FYI- Pam's hotness peak was official hit on "A Benihana Christmas" in Season 3. That red sweater was just special. That is all.E]
. See, now this is all wrong. Red sweater christmas Pam would be jealous of how hot backwards jog lipsync Pam was. Now, this might be an unfair comparison given backwards jog lipsync Pam's ratio of bounce / ounce. To be fair we would probably need red sweater christmas Pam to jog around backwards for a bit.[/quote]

I wouldn't argue that. I think red-seater christmas Pam would have backward jogged.....I'm starting to get uncomfortable.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #329
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Anybody have thoughts about Will Ferrell's first two episodes?

I really dislike them. Last week was barely watchable (I thought the intro was decent and it dropped like a rock beyond that), this week was slightly better but I couldn't bring myself to watch it all.

I may finally be done with it.

/tk
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #330
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Anybody have thoughts about Will Ferrell's first two episodes?

I really dislike them. Last week was barely watchable (I thought the intro was decent and it dropped like a rock beyond that), this week was slightly better but I couldn't bring myself to watch it all.

I may finally be done with it.

/tk

I'm not liking his character at all, which sucks because I've loved this show since its been on.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #331
Comey
College Starter

Well, he's only on for four episodes. He won't be extended (based on what I've read).

This week's show, I felt, was fantastic. It was a perfect show to highlight the ensemble, and to highlight Michael. I'm surprised at how much love the office is showing him, considering how much they couldn't stand him over the years...but, at the same time, perhaps its the wistfulness they're having over his leaving, or that they're realizing the work they now have to do because they'll have a real boss. Either way, I feel like these episodes have highlighted everyone.

Ferrell's character is a four-episode arc. Who replaces him is the one we, as fans, need to judge. And if it's him for good, well...gotta give him some room to grow.

I admit that I haven't watched as much as I did before...but I've enjoyed the past several episodes, because the entire cast has begun to shine again, instead of just a couple of characters. It won't take the place as Community as my favorite show on TV...but Community has reached Arrested Development-esque levels with me, so that's pretty impossible.

Last edited by Comey : 04-22-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #332
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

This week's show was probably the worst one I've seen in a while. Both my wife and I watched it at different times and found out that the other didn't make it all the way through the show. I think I made it about 15 minutes but just fell asleep. I think its Will's character that just really is horrible and it is making everyone else unwatchable right now.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #333
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ferrell has been brutal.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #334
Suicane75
Coordinator

I guess i'm in the minority. I Think Ferrells character has been pretty solid. He's got a trace of Michael in him but seems much smarter.

I will say however that watching a show like Parks & Rec right after The Office makes it glaringly obvious just how under developed the characters in The Office are.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #335
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Add Jim Carrey to the glutted list of A-list guest stars for the May 19 season finale of "The Office."

According to EW.com, Carrey will join Ricky Gervais, Will Arnett, James Spader and Ray Romano in the hour-long episode, which will feature many characters vying to take over the Dunder-Mifflin reins from Steve Carell's Michael Scott.

Carell and Scott will departure in next Thursday's (April 28) "Office," with Will Ferrell's Deangelo currently serving as manager.

Carrey's having a busy spring on NBC, previously hosting "Saturday Night Live." Most recently seen by a few people in "I Love You Phillip Morris," Carrey has "Mr. Popper's Penguins" opening later this year.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #336
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I think Ferrell has been solid also. He is definitely a toned down Michael Scott. Some of his best moments were when he was reading Toby’s award off the card and did a double take and said how cold it was and when his idea of witty banter was asking where Jim was on 9-11. The King's Speech things was one of the over the top goofy office things but I could totally see Michael's character watching the movie and trying it with Ferrell and the restaurant owner's reaction to Ferrell yelling was great. I think my favorite part was Michael playing the different staff members (especially Stanley's reaction to the Phyllis character) and when they went house to house at the beginning.

As far as comparing it to Parks and Rec, I agree that Parks and Rec and a far fresher show right now but the Office has hundreds of episodes more under their belt so they have done as much as they can when the office idea. Not really a fair comparison right now. And I am not sure any character on Parks and Rec is deeper than Jim, Pam, Dwight, and even some of the side characters.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #337
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Office writers have made all their characters incredibly predictable and very hard to like. I detest Pam & Jim for example. They are just so hard to like anymore.

Each character is just a vehicle for a certain type of joke now. Gets old fast.

With that said, I thought last week was not terrible. It still has its moments but there are some inherent issues with the show.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #338
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Ferrell has been wretched. The scene where he made Andy pour coffee, etc. on himself was painfully unfunny, possibly the worst minutes of the entire Office run.

The secondary characters getting excited/pissed off at the Dundie award categories was funny. And the Erin character showed Ferrell how to be painful yet funny at the same time when her acceptance speech changed to blowing off Gabe.

Looking forward to the ending. I'm betting Michael and Holly figure out a way to literally ride off into a gorgeous Scranton sunset in the final scene.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #339
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I agree with most on Farrell. I was really excited when it was announced he would be on the show, but the first episode was just horrendous to watch, thank god for DVR. I really liked this past episode, though. That may have been because a combination of it being a Dundies episode and how horrible last weeks episode was. I'll be glad when Farrell's run is done, hope the writers do better with the actual boss.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #340
Philliesfan980
Banned

I think many of you are disappointed in Farrell because he's not the "old school" Will Farrell. Just because he's not playing the exact same character he's played in his last 20 movies doesn't mean that it's terrible.

I think they're trying to show Farrell as a flawed boss. I think Andy pouring coffee on himself is a good example of this.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #341
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I think many of you are disappointed in Farrell because he's not the "old school" Will Farrell. Just because he's not playing the exact same character he's played in his last 20 movies doesn't mean that it's terrible.

I think they're trying to show Farrell as a flawed boss. I think Andy pouring coffee on himself is a good example of this.

Maybe some of them. But I actually don't like any of his movies, so I don't think that's it for me. I just didn't find the shows funny. They were more cringe-inducing.

/tk
Old 04-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #342
Swaggs
Coordinator

I like Ferrell and love the Office (and want to like them together), but I think most of this season has been a disaster.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #343
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I wasn't expecting any particular character of his - I just don't think his boss is very funny at all. Pretty dry and boring actually.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #344
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

To me the character just seems like a more bland Michael. Nothing interesting or different. It's the more of the same done worse.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #345
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'm really hoping that Will Arnett ends up being the boss. If he can play the same "gob" type role, I think that will be awesome.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #346
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
To me the character just seems like a more bland Michael. Nothing interesting or different. It's the more of the same done worse.

can't really blame Ferrell for that though. honestly, I'm impressed with his restrained performance.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #347
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Agree. Wasn't blaming Ferrel. I think he's done as well as he could with the material.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #348
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm really hoping that Will Arnett ends up being the boss. If he can play the same "gob" type role, I think that will be awesome.

I think someone here mentioned jason bateman as a good replacement. I think that's EXACTLY what the show needs.

Otherwise it won't last another season. The show is brutally bad this season.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #349
Pyser
Pro Rookie

after watching 30 rock this week, i think michael keaton would be a fantastic new boss on the office
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #350
Mota
College Benchwarmer

So is it presumed that Ferrell won't be back as the boss next season?
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote