Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #301
samifan24
Pro Starter

Ok now as a follow up, I need an active internet connection to play the game if I install it via Steam, right? I can't play the game at all if I'm offline?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #302
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Incorrect. You just set Steam to offline mode and play offline to your heart's content.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #303
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Unless Steam deletes your login credentials for whatever reason they have.

My internet went out a couple days ago. Figured no problem, gives me plenty of time to catch up on FM. Click "Go offline mode"

"Error. It appears something is wrong with your internet connection or the steam server (something along those lines)"

Well no shit there's something wrong with my internet connection, that's why I want to go offline. Repeat this step about 10 times. Restart computer, same thing. Restart again, same thing. Restart again, now it's wanting me to login which is tough to do with no internet. If I try to just do offline, it says I can't because I don't have any login data.

Internet came back on, logged in, and now have steam in offline mode where it will probably stay until I need it to be online.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #304
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I've been traveling a bunch for work and that has required me to spend time in airplanes or other places with no internet connection. I've had absolutely zero problems with steam going into offline mode for me on those trips. (I've had other issues with steam though, but just not with offline mode)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #305
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Unless Steam deletes your login credentials for whatever reason they have.

My internet went out a couple days ago. Figured no problem, gives me plenty of time to catch up on FM. Click "Go offline mode"

"Error. It appears something is wrong with your internet connection or the steam server (something along those lines)"

Well no shit there's something wrong with my internet connection, that's why I want to go offline. Repeat this step about 10 times. Restart computer, same thing. Restart again, same thing. Restart again, now it's wanting me to login which is tough to do with no internet. If I try to just do offline, it says I can't because I don't have any login data.

Internet came back on, logged in, and now have steam in offline mode where it will probably stay until I need it to be online.

Pretty sure you have to be online to go offline as odd as that sounds.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #306
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Quick question: how did you choose to install the game: via Steam or via disc?

I just got the game for Christmas yesterday and chose the disc route but I wonder if I'm in the minority.

Or you can go to Game Copy World and download the no-CD executable and get the best of both worlds. No CD or Steam necessary.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 12-26-2010 at 09:59 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #307
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Is there a level 10 mod for FM 11?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #308
flounder
High School Varsity

There's this one. I've never used it so I can't speak to the quality.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #309
Karim
College Starter

How many tactics do you use in Match Preparation? I'm in Conference South and haven't had much luck. I tried creating three 4-4-2 formations (Defensive, Balanced, Attacking) and training all three but the team could never get up to speed. After relegation and now a string of losses with another team, I got a news item that I should abandon the 4-4-2. I then created a 4-1-4-1 "Ultra Defensive" tactic and ended up winning 5-1 on the road. ???

So is it better to use just one formation and then simply switch the Strategy in-game?

I'm used to having several formations depending on the strategy in previous versions but I'm guessing there's no way a team in real-life can adapt to that?

What I really want to do is create an extremely defensive, most boring, awful to watch tactic, that lulls the opposition to sleep. The 4-1-4-1 seemed to work but I'm sure it'll fail my next game. What I'm really confused about is how does my "Rigid", "Cautious", no-risk tactic change when I switch the in-game 'Strategy' to 'Attacking'?

Thanks in advance for any help from tactical geniuses.

Last edited by Karim : 12-29-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #310
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Finally installed it.

My yearly question.. I mainly watch the Barclays Premiere League, since those teams always play on FSC.

I've started liking Man City and Everton and being a rookie FM guy, should I start with one of those teams or should a beginner start further down the pyramid like say with a football championship team? Maybe even further?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #311
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Finally installed it.

My yearly question.. I mainly watch the Barclays Premiere League, since those teams always play on FSC.

I've started liking Man City and Everton and being a rookie FM guy, should I start with one of those teams or should a beginner start further down the pyramid like say with a football championship team? Maybe even further?

I would, just so you can see the depth of the game, and what it has to offer. Your first game probably is just to flesh things out anyway, and already knowing the players is going to help.

Once you get comfortable try stepping down to a mid tier team. Big teams have a lot going on, high expectations, and busy schedules. Smaller teams can get through the season's faster, and you can build the team up, while challenging your skills as builder and tactician.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #312
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thank you PilotMan.. I thought about a mid tier team like Derby County of the FLC.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #313
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
T
One of the problems i have always seen in FM is how easy is to sign veteran unemployed players that can still dominate in low leagues. It could be a problem with the db or with old players not showing aging enough. So you can have a pretty decent team in the lower leagues for really cheap.

You should tell that to Didier Drogba, who won;t sign for my European qualified Austrian team despite no job offers in months.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #314
Comey
College Starter

I wanted to start a league with fictional players, but the talent level is very slanted towards youth. There are guys who are all-world at 16 or 17, and tons of them. Needless to say, it didn't quite work out.

Is there any way to edit it so that this wouldn't happen? I'm not the only person I know who has had this issue.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #315
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
You should tell that to Didier Drogba, who won;t sign for my European qualified Austrian team despite no job offers in months.

I signed 35 y/o Drogba as a 3rd striker for my Juventus team a couple years in. It's awesome.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #316
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I'd recommend starting a ways down the pyramid - partially because its somewhat less pressure (ie. you'll get to make mistakes without being sacked quite so quickly) - but also because its the most 'fun' way to play for me, building a dynasty and watching a small club blossom and grow; its incredible how much pleasure I get managing a small club just following players who were once in my side go on to bigger clubs and suchlike ... its like a soap opera around me which enhanced my enjoyment of the game.

(irl incidentally Sports Interactive sponsor AFC Wimbledon - so I almost have to recommend them as a decent choice of club, they're also a 'fans club' - founded by supporters of Wimbledon after their club relocated to Milton Keynes ... which makes them kinda cool )
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #317
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Is anyone having issues with the print screen option? Each time I have tried all I end up getting is a link to the SI website on the page (trying text and html).

I shouldn't say every time, once I got one line (the top guy on my roster when I was trying to print the roster page).

In previous versions I have used this feature quite often (to help with the dynasties).

Maybe there is a setting somewhere that I am overlooking?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #318
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Just grabbed FM 2011, got a few questions about league rules before I decide where I want to play:

Czech first division says all nations in Europe count as EU. Does that mean I could grab a squad of players from non-EU states like Moldova and they'd count as EU?

What exactly counts as Europe? Israel plays in the competitions, but it is hardly geographically in Europe.

Question 2 - Bulgaria has a wage cap of 60% of turnover. What's the turnover?

EDIT - Q3 Am I right is seeing that as long as someone is 18, it doesn;t matter where they are from, or how many you have in Denmark?

As I look at others, I may have further questions.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-29-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #319
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just grabbed FM 2011, got a few questions about league rules before I decide where I want to play:

Czech first division says all nations in Europe count as EU. Does that mean I could grab a squad of players from non-EU states like Moldova and they'd count as EU?

What exactly counts as Europe? Israel plays in the competitions, but it is hardly geographically in Europe.

Question 2 - Bulgaria has a wage cap of 60% of turnover. What's the turnover?

As I look at others, I may have further questions.

re: Czechs - yes I believe that'd be the case
re: Europe - I don't believe Israel counts as Europe, no.
re: Bulgaria - dunno
Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #320
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Fast answers, thanks DT! I edited in a Denmark question though It looks like I could literally start 11 Africans, Asians and Brazilians, and as long as everybody is 18, its fine? If so, that has got to be the most liberal squad qualifying I've seen in Europe

Old 12-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #321
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wow, does anyone know why Hungary includes places like Fiji and Samoa and all African and Caribbean nations as EU? That's a bit odd.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-29-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #322
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fast answers, thanks DT! I edited in a Denmark question though It looks like I could literally start 11 Africans, Asians and Brazilians, and as long as everybody is 18, its fine? If so, that has got to be the most liberal squad qualifying I've seen in Europe

That's pretty cool!! Not sure about that.

For the opposite end of the spectrum, try Norway FYI. Their restrictions are crazy.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #323
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

My early short list:

Czech Republic
Poland
Norway
Denmark

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-29-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #324
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Just saw that the Czech Republic has a wage cap of 75% turnover. Again, I'd like to know what that means

Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #325
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wow, the team I am looking at taking over has SEVEN physios. WTH?

It has 4 ass mans, 1 fit coach, no other coaches at all, but 7 physios. More physios than coaches and ass mans combined - that's crazy.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-29-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #326
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I'd recommend starting a ways down the pyramid - partially because its somewhat less pressure (ie. you'll get to make mistakes without being sacked quite so quickly) - but also because its the most 'fun' way to play for me, building a dynasty and watching a small club blossom and grow; its incredible how much pleasure I get managing a small club just following players who were once in my side go on to bigger clubs and suchlike ... its like a soap opera around me which enhanced my enjoyment of the game.

(irl incidentally Sports Interactive sponsor AFC Wimbledon - so I almost have to recommend them as a decent choice of club, they're also a 'fans club' - founded by supporters of Wimbledon after their club relocated to Milton Keynes ... which makes them kinda cool )

Thanks for the advice, I'll look even further down the pyramid.. maybe even go with AFC Wimbeldon.

One last question to anyone.. if I just want to play with the English football league system, when setting the game up for the first time are there any other leagues that need to be checked or just check England?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #327
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I'll look even further down the pyramid.. maybe even go with AFC Wimbeldon.

One last question to anyone.. if I just want to play with the English football league system, when setting the game up for the first time are there any other leagues that need to be checked or just check England?

When I did lower level English leagues, I would also activate Wales, N Ireland, Ireland and Scotland, and that's it. I haven't done that in years though, I don;t know what it might look like on the modern game in terms of players and such.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #328
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
How many tactics do you use in Match Preparation? I'm in Conference South and haven't had much luck. I tried creating three 4-4-2 formations (Defensive, Balanced, Attacking) and training all three but the team could never get up to speed. After relegation and now a string of losses with another team, I got a news item that I should abandon the 4-4-2. I then created a 4-1-4-1 "Ultra Defensive" tactic and ended up winning 5-1 on the road. ???

So is it better to use just one formation and then simply switch the Strategy in-game?

I'm used to having several formations depending on the strategy in previous versions but I'm guessing there's no way a team in real-life can adapt to that?

What I really want to do is create an extremely defensive, most boring, awful to watch tactic, that lulls the opposition to sleep. The 4-1-4-1 seemed to work but I'm sure it'll fail my next game. What I'm really confused about is how does my "Rigid", "Cautious", no-risk tactic change when I switch the in-game 'Strategy' to 'Attacking'?

Thanks in advance for any help from tactical geniuses.

I've had more success with just one tactic. In the preseason I moved the workload to the highest level so that the players got to fluid quicker, and then I just make changes during matches as I see fit. After a poor run, I made some changes and some of the ratings dropped from fluid and had to be relearned again, so that is one thing to watch for.

The flow affects how the defenders and attackers move between their duties. A rigid flow means the defenders will mostly defend and the attackers will mostly attack. If you set it to very rigid and then changed the strategy to attacking, you defenders would still only defend (they would probably push up more, but wouldn't get involved in the attack unless they had a very clear opportunity) and your attackers would be all out attack without ever tracking back. I think that would create gaps that could be exploited. I think the solution you are looking for is to stay with a rigid, balanced, or fluid (stay away from the extremes) and adjust the player duties as need be. So if your lone striker is the only attacker, and you switch to attacking strategy, you should probably change the wingers and a central midfielder to attack duty (or relevant duty) as well.

That said, keep in mind that I regularly get spanked by the AI.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:17 AM   #329
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just saw that the Czech Republic has a wage cap of 75% turnover. Again, I'd like to know what that means

Not sure about in FM as I haven't got it this year, but in football when this is a rule, the cap is a percentage of the individual club's turnover, so each club in the league has their own personal cap of 75% of their turnover.

So if it were in the EPL ManU would have a way bigger turnover than Wigan for example, and therefore a much bigger wage cap.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #330
scooter
High School Varsity

And "turnover" is income, correct?
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #331
Professor58
H.S. Freshman Team

Turnover means revenue. Income would be revenue minus costs ( including payroll)

OOTP: AFBL : Ohio
OOTP: CBL : London
OOTP : NPBL : California
OOTP : WBA : Los Angeles
Professor58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #332
aran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Not sure about in FM as I haven't got it this year, but in football when this is a rule, the cap is a percentage of the individual club's turnover, so each club in the league has their own personal cap of 75% of their turnover.

So if it were in the EPL ManU would have a way bigger turnover than Wigan for example, and therefore a much bigger wage cap.

That seems like a ludicrous rule. Basically it ensures teams that play poorly and have crappy attendance or good teams with crappy small stadiums can't even get an infusion of cash to up their wage capacity and hire better talent--they have to be limited by their crappy attendance. This makes it even harder to raise a team with a crappy stadium from irrelevant to a contender.

Am I missing something here?
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #333
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
That seems like a ludicrous rule. Basically it ensures teams that play poorly and have crappy attendance or good teams with crappy small stadiums can't even get an infusion of cash to up their wage capacity and hire better talent--they have to be limited by their crappy attendance. This makes it even harder to raise a team with a crappy stadium from irrelevant to a contender.

Its a very sensible rule imho and prevents a board/investor from gambling with a clubs future by stupidly over-spending beyond the cash they have available.

Football isn't won by individuals and while generally the larger teams also have good managers/players/tactics and so will dominate - its the team which counts, ask Liverpool how well their huge wage budget has helped them this season

If a small club is sensible they can expand over time and become a force, this ruling just tries to regulate things and prevent the sort of 'gambling' with a clubs future that the banks were so willing to do before the recent financial crisis.

(in the past this sort of 'gambling' did happen - ask Leeds fans how they felt about falling from being Champions League contenders to League 2 in quick succession after their gamble failed ....)

PS - In practice unfortunately (as with Banking regulation) there are easy ways around such rulings using clever accounting ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-30-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #334
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post

It's designed to make sure that teams don't commit to contracts they can't afford, minimising the chances of meltdown.

It definitely ensures the ManU style club will always have a chance of overcoming poor transfer decisions as the cap will mean they can spend again, while the smaller clubs would have to rely on good management, personnel decisions and better results to attract more revenue and therefore increase the cap the following year.

This style of cap is not in any of the major leagues, but is in force in League 2 (set at 60%)

edit - a hard NFL style cap will never catch on in football as there are too many teams in too many countries, and it would either need to be set to the ManU/Real Madrid level to get passed through (which would then defeat the purpose of trying to ensure good financial management). The larger clubs would never vote for a lower cap as they would be disadvantaging themselves. So this is seen as a middle ground, but I'm pretty sure it will only remain in lower leagues or weaker footballing economies

There is a plan to bring in a UEFA policy that clubs who are run irresponsibly will not be allowed to enter the Champions League or UEFA League, but it looks like it will very loose, and whether it gets enforced or not for the likes of Madrid or Man City (who would likely fail as it stands) is a completely different matter

Last edited by AlexB : 12-30-2010 at 10:16 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #335
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

The big clubs will get grandfathered into the UEFA policy somehow - rest assured of that.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #336
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
This style of cap is not in any of the major leagues, but is in force in League 2 (set at 60%)

I think it'll come into force throughout all the major leagues eventually - however structured (or with enough loopholes) to be mainly a PR exercise ...
Old 12-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #337
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When I did lower level English leagues, I would also activate Wales, N Ireland, Ireland and Scotland, and that's it. I haven't done that in years though, I don;t know what it might look like on the modern game in terms of players and such.

Thanks.. the defaults look ok to me, but if I'm just playing in the English league, I figured the game would go faster if I just checked England?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #338
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone got the Amazon digital download? I see users having problems, I'll probably just buy the boxed version.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #339
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Oh wow, I just got a message saying that the "Health and Safety Inspectorate has closed part of the west stand, reducing capacity by 1000".

First off....COOL!!! Never figured anything like this would be modeled into a video game.

Second off....FUCK!!! It didn't give a reason, or anything I can do to try to fix it. Losing that potential gate income is going to make me tiptoe the balance line even more so than before.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #340
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Oh wow, I just got a message saying that the "Health and Safety Inspectorate has closed part of the west stand, reducing capacity by 1000".
First off....COOL!!! Never figured anything like this would be modeled into a video game.
Second off....FUCK!!! It didn't give a reason, or anything I can do to try to fix it. Losing that potential gate income is going to make me tiptoe the balance line even more so than before.

Its down to the running costs on the stadium, if you're making a consistent loss and getting past the stage where your board is comfortable with the over-draft then they'll scrimp on the repairs and running costs for the stadium ... if this continues for too long then there is a very real risk that parts of the stadium might be closed off from use by the H&S.

(this happens irl quite regularly for clubs where they can't afford to repair a roof or whatever)

If you bring the finances into balance then you'll be able to expand the stadium again, basically repairing the problem areas ... but you're right in some situations the reduction in stadium capacity in itself can compound the issues you were having financially .... catch 22 ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-31-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #341
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Its down to the running costs on the stadium, if you're making a consistent loss and getting past the stage where your board is comfortable with the over-draft then they'll scrimp on the repairs and running costs for the stadium ... if this continues for too long then there is a very real risk that parts of the stadium might be closed off from use by the H&S.

(this happens irl quite regularly for clubs where they can't afford to repair a roof or whatever)

If you bring the finances into balance then you'll be able to expand the stadium again, basically repairing the problem areas ... but you're right in some situations the reduction in stadium capacity in itself can compound the issues you were having financially .... catch 22 ...

This is quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever read regarding this game.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #342
Karim
College Starter

Thanks, klayman. I've managed to avoid prolonged losing streaks now which is giving me a hope in the relegation battle. I've decided on the 4-1-4-1 when I'm up against vastly superior opponents or expected to lose on the road, and a 4-4-2 defensive approach otherwise. Out of 27 games, I've only been favoured once and we lost that because I opened up too much.

What I've found really helpful is to pay more attention to media items which have a lot of clues. Also, I learned on the FM forums how you can actually interact with the media to downgrade the morale of some players. I couldn't figure out why my 'Very Good' player was suddenly 'Very Poor' and for low depth squads, that can be a killer.

The one thing I've yet to figure out is tactical suggestions in the Backroom Advice. I haven't seen anything useful there (or haven't been able to decipher it). With a payroll of only $185k, I'm just glad that my squad is 'Fluid' or 'Accomplished' in the two tactics I use. I'm not going to adjust them each match based on the assman's advice.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:52 PM   #343
Karim
College Starter

dola,

As if it needs to be said, this is undoubtedly the best sports sim ever created. I've spent way too many hours into the wee morning over the holidays on this. I'm ticked I have to go back to work in a couple days...
Old 01-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #345
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

MLS has a bug in it. managers get fired despite teams meating or overacheiving. they are penalized for not making the playoffs despite being 1/3 the way thru the season. i had my owner dissapointed in my performance and i was in a "insecure" position, despite being top of the table only being predicted to come in 3rd. the only thing the owner was dissapointed in was my league position cause they wanted my to get to the conference semi-finals. dumbasses thats still months away. seems to happen to all the leading teams. managers on the top teams are always in trouble
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #346
PilotMan
Head Coach

Didn't see this anywhere else. 'Grats to Marc and all the SI team on a great product.

Football Manager dev awarded O.B.E. by the Queen | PC Gamer
Quote:
Studio Director of Sports Interactive, the studio behind the stellar Football Manager series, has been awarded an OBE by the Queen in the latest round of honours awards. In full, O.B.E. stands for Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, and is one of a series of chivalric awards created by George V, the highest of which makes you a knight of the British Empire. Suffice to say, not too many game developers have made the esteemed honours lists.

The co-founder of Sports Interactive, Olly Collyer, congratulated Jacobson on the Sports Interactive site, saying, “we think this is very much deserved for all the hard work involved in not only establishing a good sense of business to a raw and young Sports Interactive all those years ago, but also evolving the studio into an equal and more professional partner with its publisher and also a responsible one, via the involvement with various charities, as well as taking away the things we don’t like doing to allow us to concentrate on coding!”
“The honour is also deserved recognition for lots of other work Miles has done away from SI over the years on the BAFTA games committee, Develop advisory board and as a founding trustee of GamesAid as well as many other advisory committees.”
Collyer adds that “apparently he was in the frame for a knighthood but they didn’t have a platform high enough to allow the appropriate member of the Royal Family to reach his shoulder with their sword so they settled for the O.B.E.”
Writing in response to the news, Jacobson said “It really is very humbling, and is further recognition for the whole SI team around the world. I’m a bit lost for words at the moment, so I’ll leave it at that for now.”
For a few clues as to how the Sports Interactive developer earned himself a place on the honours list, check out our review of Football Manager 2011.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #347
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That's great, Congratulations Marc and SI!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #348
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Do we have to call Marc "Sir Marc" now? Hope it doesn't go to his head...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #349
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Do we have to call Marc "Sir Marc" now? Hope it doesn't go to his head...

LOL

It isn't me; I'm still a serf

Its Miles (studio head at SI) who got the OBE (Ov & Dobs who founded SI got them a couple of years back also), its kinda neat that the people are being recognised in this way though - shows that the games industry has come a long way in the last decade or so.

Plus it'll be a great source of new ways to wind Miles up when I'm over in England next .....

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 01-01-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #350
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

When do you get your OBE then Marc?