Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #301
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Maryland's athletic department is a joke, but you're really going to claim Friedgen saved the program? He had a great couple years (with a different coaches' recruits), but MD was a middling afterthought before Friedgen arrived and with their apparent refusal of Mike Leach they appear well on their way to continuing to be a middling afterthought now.

Maryland football was a joke before Friedgen got there. I'm sorry, he made that program to what it is right now. The guy deserves credit for that.

The only way I could see firing Friedgen is if they had a guy they felt could turn them into a BCS bowl team standing by. You could argue Mike Leach is that guy if you want. But if they are just going to end up with another assistant coach or failed head coach from another school, this move will end up being a disaster.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #302
timmynausea
College Starter

Friedgen was 43-41 with 2 winning conference records in the past 7 years (ie with his own recruits). He probably would've gotten another year as 2010 was the 2nd winning ACC record in that span, but once his assistants started to bail on him for Vanderbilt, it was time to put him down. Vanderbilt, dude.

I think the attitude in college football has changed to, "If we're going to pay a coach $1.5-$2 million dollars (or more) per year, we want to be competing for conference championships. Otherwise we'll find someone else." Of course, only one team can win a conference per year, so I expect we'll see more and more coaching changes over the coming years.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #304
Swaggs
Coordinator

I have now heard from two different people that Maryland is interested in Rich Rodriguez if/when he becomes available. That suggests that Maryland won't have a hire in place before Jan. 1st. I'm not sure how thrilled the president would be with Rodriguez, if Leach was a non-starter, but it would be an interesting landing spot for Rod.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #305
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
And once again, you throw out the 2-10 2009 season since it's a impossibly obvious outlier. It's really easy to go the lazy way and ignore that there's a huge fluke season in there that skews everything towards an artificially inaccurate negative.

The last 5 years have the 2-10 anomaly. They also have 31-20 (17-16) and 4 bowls the other years. Fridge just got ACC coach of the year. The best coach the 13 years prior to Fridge was 15-29. They had 1 bowl that entire 13 year run.

Unless you've pulled off a major move, and they haven't, then you don't make that kind of move and show other potential coaches what an ungrateful shithole your program is.

The 2-10 is a bit of an anomaly, but the fact remains that (even without that 2-10 season) the Terps have been below .500 in the ACC over the past 7-years and haven't done anything to distinguish themselves during a pretty down period in the ACC (since BC, Miami, and VPI came aboard).

And, while the 2-10 season was an outlier, it did happen. It is tough for any coach to survive a season like that. And Friedgen had not recently done anything (conference titles or title game appearances, major bowl wins, major OOC wins, etc.) to earn the right to gloss over a season like that. It is pretty apparent that he was fired after last season -- Maryland just couldn't afford to eat his AND Franklin's contracts at the same time.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #307
Swaggs
Coordinator

Okay. If you prefer a five year period, over the past five years, they are 18-22 and have been over .500 twice in the ACC.

You can use 5 or 7 or 10 seasons, throw out the 2-10 season, or compare them to their past all you want, but they are unremarkable amongst their contemperaries (ie: the ACC and neighboring teams) and trending in a bad direction (no one can dispute that Friedgen got off to a great start, but that was 8-10 seasons ago).

He's 63-years old and has had a fair chance to show what he can and cannot do. If his best years were better, I can see being afraid of the risk, but if 8-4 is the high watermark (and 2-10 is possible and .500 is always possible), I don't see a problem with trying to move forward.

Quote:
15-29 was the best in the 13 seasons prior to him.

Maryland doesn't get to use major bowls, conference championships etc. since they've never done that kind of thing. They were dead in the water and just forced out arguably the best coach in their history without a plan/coach to replace him.

It's amazing how quickly people want to mention the 2-9, and mention a 7 year span, but not go to the 5 year span which would be the more accurate gauge due to it being a full recruiting class cycle. If you're going to go to the 7 year point then you have to go to the 10 year point or else you're just creating an artificial break designed to try and paint things in the most negative light. It's pretty disingenuous to throw out the 3 seasons of 10+ wins but not the 1 season of 10 losses. Friedgen was the best offensive coach in the ACC, has routinely put players in the NFL, and followed up the one fluke season with a great coaching season.

From 1987-2000 Maryland had one bowl appearance where they tied Louisiana Tech. That's pathetic. Under Friedgen, even if you only use the past 5 years (as if he didn't coach up Vanderlinden's players), they've got wins over Purdue and Nevada and the loss was Oregon State. They're not even in the same universe as they were prior to Friedgen. Sooner or later they've got to realize it isn't 1953 anymore and shitting on the best thing they've had since Bobby Ross isn't the way to change that.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #308
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Tressel is out at Ohio State according to this article.

Jim Tressel Leaving Ohio State - Daily Chicago Sports Tab
Old 12-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #309
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

That would be shocking. If it is true, Bengals or Browns?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #312
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

Ohio State SID Shelly Poe stated that the rumor was the work of a "prankster"
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #313
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Trending in a bad direction? They've won 8+ in 3 of the last 5 years with 4 bowl appearances. There's one fluke year in that mix, at 2-10, that is way below the rest of it.

When you win 10+ for three straight years and then struggle to be .500 for the following seven years, that is trending in a bad direction.

In the 8+ win seasons:

2006: 9-4 beat OOC William and Mary, Middle Tennessee (7-6), FIU (0-12), got killed by WVU (11-2) and then went 5-3 in the ACC and then beat Purdue (8-6 in a year that they did not play Michigan or Ohio State). Won 2 road games (plus neutral site game against Purdue).

2008: 8-5 beat OOC Delaware (by a score of 14-7) beat a good Cal team (9-4), beat Eastern Michigan (3-9), and lost to Middle Tennessee (5-7) and went 4-4 in the ACC and then beat Nevada (7-6) in a bowl game. They only won 1 road game in 2008 (plus the neutral bowl game).

2010: 8-4 beat a decent Navy (9-4), Morgan State, and FIU (6-6), lost to West Virginia. Went 5-3 in the ACC. Won 2 road games (plus neutral site against Navy).

They are very mediocre at their best and awful at their worst.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #315
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Who knew Maryland football could conjure such passions.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #316
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Who knew Maryland football could conjure such passions.

Not me!

And I've watched every game I could (some of the away games aren't televised for me since I live in f'n Wahoo and a-hole Hokie country) since 1997--which includes going to every home game; I am now a season ticket holder (my first few years post-graduating, I had friends that could still get me in).

I think it's time for Fridge to go, our play has gone from good to uninspired and unimpressive. Even when we've had winning seasons, except when playing cupcakes (like Morgan State), our wins have been anything but convincing; we didn't win because of our skill but because of errors by the other team (and not the type of error we forced). Against teams that were decent, we've generally looked pathetic (not looking at scores or box highlights, but actually looking at the play).

It was obvious he wasn't getting re-upped, there seems to be a bigger pool of available coaching talent this year than others, so I have no issue with getting rid of him.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #317
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
15-29 was the best in the 13 seasons prior to him.
If you want to rail on disingenuous records, that 15-29 was also 5-17 the first two years, then 5-6 the last two, and responsible for the majority of players who led Maryland/Friedgen to their 3 10-win seasons. How much did Friedgen have to do with those, and how much was the talent base that Vanderlinden left? I don't know, but based off the 7 seasons since, it would certainly appear that Friedgen won't be reaching those heights again unless someone else recruits the players - and everyone that did so just left for Vanderbilt. (I know Don Brown, I like Don Brown as a person and a DC, but he's not even close to a good recruiter.)
Quote:
Friedgen was the best offensive coach in the ACC, has routinely put players in the NFL, and followed up the one fluke season with a great coaching season.
If Friedgen is this great developer of offensive players, let's look at every offensive recruit he's had drafted higher than the 7th round. (If you think I'm using 7th round as an artificial cutoff, it would only add 2 players - T Jaimie Thomas and TE Dan Gronkowski, both of whom I couldn't tell you anything about.)

Vernon Davis
Darrius Heyward-Bey
Bruce Campbell

Hey look - it's 3 physical freaks who were underdeveloped projects coming out of college. So much for the offensive guru tag.

It's an absolute joke that the President would allow the AD to fire a coach, then step in and not allow the obvious replacement, but firing Friedgen on its own is quite a defensible decision. It's pretty obvious that Friedgen's high-water mark with his players is middle of the pack ACC/minor bowl game - maybe you think that Maryland should be satisfied with that, but I would be pissed if my university accepted mediocrity like that.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #318
Swaggs
Coordinator

You continue to put his career into context with Maryland's past, rather than what other similar programs have done over the same period of time.

That type of thinking is similar to starting a job and being pleased that you are making $20K per yeaer and thinking how much money you are making compared to your dad who worked at the company 25 years ago and made $5K per year. Meanwhile, everyone else in your field is making $75K, but you are still feeling pretty good because you are doing better than your dad was.

Quote:
They've had one bad year in 10. Did you bother with the OOC nonsense for the 10 win seasons? Of course not. That would be an objective view of the program under Friedgen. Did you bother with the 13 years prior to Friedgen? Of course not, that would be an objective look at the program leading to his hiring.

The following 7 years, after 3 good seasons that you only seem to count as a negative, were barely .500. And 2-10 is so far out of whack with the rest of that time frame that it's essentially useless. If you're going to ignore the 3 best seasons then it's at least fair to ignore the 1 worst season.

Take out the 1 season in 7 that is completely out of whack and you get 41-32. That's a .561 winning percentage. Considering the best coach for the 13 years prior to Friedgen was 15-29 (.341), that's a pretty sizable improvement.

But those 13 prior years, that put things into context instead of a make believe vacuum, don't count. And the 1 year that is well below all the others counts more than the majority trend since it also supports your predetermined view. At least pretend to be objective.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #319
Warhammer
Pro Starter

There is no way OSU is letting Tressel go. With his success there, anything less than Tressel being the one handing money to a recruit is going to force him out of Columbus.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #320
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Ohio State SID Shelly Poe stated that the rumor was the work of a "prankster"

Sure sounds like recruiting dirty tricks.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #321
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So Texas Tech's DC has left TT, and it sounds like it has something to do with discussing the DC position at UF. Apparently Tuberville wasn't happy to find out he was considering what would be a fairly big step up? There must be something more to this, especially since he's not been given the UF job as of now and might end up simply out of work for the time being. Maybe he wasn't straight with Tuberville about considering the UF job?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #322
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So Texas Tech's DC has left TT, and it sounds like it has something to do with discussing the DC position at UF. Apparently Tuberville wasn't happy to find out he was considering what would be a fairly big step up? There must be something more to this, especially since he's not been given the UF job as of now and might end up simply out of work for the time being. Maybe he wasn't straight with Tuberville about considering the UF job?

Granted, I know any defense at UF is going to have Muschamp's stamp all over it and a DC is probably a ceremonial title for a good recruiter like Coley is at FSU under Fisher, but this guy better be a heckuva recruiter, then.

Texas Tech-
Scoring Defense- 86th
Total Defense- 116th

Last edited by bronconick : 12-27-2010 at 04:18 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #323
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Granted, I know any defense at UF is going to have Muschamp's stamp all over it and a DC is probably a ceremonial title for a good recruiter like Coley is at FSU under Fisher, but this guy better be a heckuva recruiter, then.

Texas Tech-
Scoring Defense- 86th
Total Defense- 116th

Hell, Michigan might want to take a look at him.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #324
RedKingGold
College Starter

Also smoke about JoePa stepping down after the Outback Bowl.

I don't believe it, but tis the season.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #325
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post

Texas Tech-
Scoring Defense- 86th
Total Defense- 116th

Supposed to be a good recruiter. He was with with Muschamp at Auburn and with Saban for a year at Alabama.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #326
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Some site (same that said Wanny was out at Pitt) tweeted RichRod could head to Maryland. Now Tom Dinhart is posting he thinks it is actually possible. Interesting stuff.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #328
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Some site (same that said Wanny was out at Pitt) tweeted RichRod could head to Maryland. Now Tom Dinhart is posting he thinks it is actually possible. Interesting stuff.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #329
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
You continue to put his career into context with Maryland's past, rather than what other similar programs have done over the same period of time.

That type of thinking is similar to starting a job and being pleased that you are making $20K per yeaer and thinking how much money you are making compared to your dad who worked at the company 25 years ago and made $5K per year. Meanwhile, everyone else in your field is making $75K, but you are still feeling pretty good because you are doing better than your dad was.

I disagree, uh.... completely.
Everyone was thrilled with Rutgers just a few years ago when they had a couple above average seasons. Why? Certainly other schools have had those caliber seasons, of course the answer is compared to their past he was phenomenal.

How many teams would fire a coach who qualified for a bowl game every year for 10 straight years, and never won less than 7 games after his first season? Surely that is acceptable amongst his peers? Yet it got Tommy Bowden fired at Clemson. In college football unlike any other sport your contemporaries don't really matter. How you compare to your individual expectations is far more important.

If Leech was lined up and a slam dunk, then I'd fire Fridge in a heartbeat. But to fire a coach who has orchestrated your most successful period in program history, WITHOUT a viable alternative seems a bit bizarre. Of course Leech could just drop this lawsuit and he would be announced as the 2nd highest paid coach in the ACC tomorrow, according to what I have been told.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #330
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
But to fire a coach who has orchestrated your most successful period in program history, WITHOUT a viable alternative seems a bit bizarre.

That is the part that seems pretty strange to me.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:42 AM   #332
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
If Leech was lined up and a slam dunk, then I'd fire Fridge in a heartbeat. But to fire a coach who has orchestrated your most successful period in program history, WITHOUT a viable alternative seems a bit bizarre.
Everything I've heard (and for once I had half a source) said it was a slam dunk. And then the President stepped in for some reason nobody understands. It would have made sense if he prevented the firing, or if he had a candidate of his own.... but evidently he allowed Friedgen to be fired when it was known the AD was hiring Leach and then stepped in and refused to dot the i's. Even if it is all a huge smokescreen where he was biding time until RichRod was fired by Michigan the timeline makes little sense.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #333
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

What I have heard, FWIW, is that the AD led the Pres to believe (either by directly stating or innuendo I'm not real clear on which) there was an agreement in place to drop the ESPN lawsuit, when the subject was never broached to Leach.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #334
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Maryland offered June Jones the job but he turned it down to stay at SMU.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #336
Galaxy
Coordinator

With Mike Singletary out of the 49ers, any chance that a college program might want him?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #337
Swaggs
Coordinator

Leach is supposedly meeting with Maryland (for the second time) today.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #338
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Leach is supposedly meeting with Maryland (for the second time) today.

Does that mean the President changed his mind, or is the AD just ignoring him?
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #339
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

Trying to get Leach to relent on the lawsuit against ESPN and then see if he can make it work between Leach and the President, I would imagine.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #340
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

My guess is that Kevin Plank may have reminded the "President" of how the pecking order really works in these situations.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #341
Ksyrup

Is it correct to assume that the biggest thing Leach has going for him is his ties to the MD alumni who runs Under Armour, which seems pretty coincidental given Oregon's success this year and its ties to Nike? "We could have the Oregon of the East Coast"? Also, I guess getting a good coach at (I would assume) something of a buy-low price, given the Texas Tech stuff?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #342
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Is it correct to assume that the biggest thing Leach has going for him is his ties to the MD alumni who runs Under Armour, which seems pretty coincidental given Oregon's success this year and its ties to Nike? "We could have the Oregon of the East Coast"? Also, I guess getting a good coach at (I would assume) something of a buy-low price, given the Texas Tech stuff?
Yup. Most coaches earn more from endorsement deals and coaches shows (with the money coming from boosters) than actual paid salary from the university. Since Under Armor already has a deal with Leach, the can essentially factor that in to his salary - and in the case of Maryland's biggest booster (Kevin Plank/UA) they get a better return on the money they've already committed to Leach. Just another case where NCAA football is a cog in a bigger business model rather than the dominant top of the food chain they pretend to be.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:55 AM   #343
MacroGuru
Coordinator

BYU OC Robert Anae resigned yesterday to "pursue" other interests.

Rumor has it that other interest is going to Maryland to coach again with Mike Leach. Anae was the OL coach at TT before he left to join BYU as their OC.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #344
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Not that it matters at this point but it was confirmed by Michigan and Maryland Rivals guys that RichRod had a phone interview with Maryland's AD last week.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #345
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Not that it matters at this point but it was confirmed by Michigan and Maryland Rivals guys that RichRod had a phone interview with Maryland's AD last week.

Interviewing for a job when you have a job? Say it ain't so! I wonder if he was crying, telling the Maryland AD how much he truly wants to be a Michigan man. (Sniff, sniff)
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #346
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Florida Gators want Charlie Weis to be offensive coordinator, sources say - ESPN

Weis might be Florida's OC.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #347
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

That is exactly the kind of hire Muschamp needs on that side of the ball. Florida has never payed their assistants all that well, though. It might be a tough sell.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #348
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

I realize in college football the SEC is king, but is there any logical reason why Weis, who has received plaudits for his work in the very same position with a successful 2010 NFL team (the Chiefs), would leave those Chiefs to make a lateral move back to college?

I think Weis is only leaving his coordinator spot for a head coach spot somewhere (college or pors, and probably not college; I don't think Weis enjoyed his college experience coaching).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:37 PM   #349
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
BYU OC Robert Anae resigned yesterday to "pursue" other interests.

Rumor has it that other interest is going to Maryland to coach again with Mike Leach. Anae was the OL coach at TT before he left to join BYU as their OC.

Interesting. There has been a rumor going around the UCLA boards that Neuheisel has not relieved Chow of his duties as OC because he's giving him a chance to look around and leave on his own terms. One oft-mentioned destination for Chow was a return to BYU as OC.

But it's just a rumor; I actually don't put much stock in it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #350
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Interesting. There has been a rumor going around the UCLA boards that Neuheisel has not relieved Chow of his duties as OC because he's giving him a chance to look around and leave on his own terms. One oft-mentioned destination for Chow was a return to BYU as OC.

But it's just a rumor; I actually don't put much stock in it.

I don't see it happening...I see Doman getting the promotion to OC...It's one of the only ways they are going to keep him.

He is starting to get the type of pub that Sarks received at USC...He had Beck, Hall and now Heaps..