Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #301
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
The problem with the sabermetric group is that they grab onto something and proclaim it THE only thing that matters. There is more to baseball than numbers. Yes, I love the numbers when reflecting on seasons but they do not tell the whole picture and they definitely do NOT predict any future success.

It's no different than the alarming trend that occured where NFL teams over-valued combine performance over the "eye test". That is how players like Mike Mamula ended up as high draft picks.

So what is predictive? Or are all players an equal crapshoot every year?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #302
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The problem with the sabermetric group is that they grab onto something and proclaim it THE only thing that matters. There is more to baseball than numbers. Yes, I love the numbers when reflecting on seasons but they do not tell the whole picture and they definitely do NOT predict any future success.

It's no different than the alarming trend that occured where NFL teams over-valued combine performance over the "eye test". That is how players like Mike Mamula ended up as high draft picks.

I would say this is actually the biggest breakthrough with sabermetrics is the predictive ability it gives us.

What a player did last year can be debated I suppose in how you want to spin numbers but as for what they will do going forward I think sabermetrics will do more for you than any traditional stats can possibly dream of.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #303
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Looking back I wonder if anyone would have expected Trout to be a 10+ WAR player this year and with the addition of Pujols and have the Angels not make the playoffs. Their Pythagorean W-L was almost right in line with their actual W-L. I guess without Trout the Angels were a 74-78 win club. Odd with all of that talent.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #304
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Looking back I wonder if anyone would have expected Trout to be a 10+ WAR player this year and with the addition of Pujols and have the Angels not make the playoffs. Their Pythagorean W-L was almost right in line with their actual W-L. I guess without Trout the Angels were a 74-78 win club. Odd with all of that talent.

Ya, it's weird because in other sports that are more difficult to analyze with statistics, you have more assumed validity of human-based storylines like the "Ewing theory." There's obviously more interaction between players in a basketball game so those human dynamics are much more pronounced, but I don't think we can rule them out as mattering in baseball in some situations as well. I think if you had the chance to replay the Angels season without Trout, they'd almost definitely be worse every time, but I wonder if there would be any psychological aspects at play that would result in changing performance for any other players. Because ya, if the Angles were a 74-78 win team without Trout, than the 2012 PECOTA and CAIRO projections (which didn't include Trout's monster year) were WAY off (they had the Angels as around a 91-92 win team).

Last edited by molson : 11-16-2012 at 11:16 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #305
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I'm liking the future of my Cubs, I think for the first time in my lifetime we have a "baseballman" in control
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #306
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would say this is actually the biggest breakthrough with sabermetrics is the predictive ability it gives us.

What a player did last year can be debated I suppose in how you want to spin numbers but as for what they will do going forward I think sabermetrics will do more for you than any traditional stats can possibly dream of.

Stats, no matter how you spin them, only tell what HAS happened. They never tell what WILL happen. You can tell more about what COULD happen by looking at the players. Knowing which ones have that mental toughness and desire to help a team win along with the skill. No stats can show that.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #307
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Stats, no matter how you spin them, only tell what HAS happened. They never tell what WILL happen. You can tell more about what COULD happen by looking at the players. Knowing which ones have that mental toughness and desire to help a team win along with the skill. No stats can show that.

And the best indicator of this is a mustache, players with mustaches are winners.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #308
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I can tell you this much, I'd rather have a team of 9 Mike Trouts than 9 Miguel Cabreras any day. And I think Miguel Cabrera is an amazing ball player.
I echo you're comment but I lost respect for Cabrera not meeting with the media twice during the playoffs. The dude pouted like a little kid.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #309
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

How can FOFC not favor Trout?
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #310
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Obvious troll is obvious.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #311
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You know which ones have mental toughness by looking at them?

Whats the outlook on Matt Barkley in regards to "mental toughness" and "desire to help a team win"? You seem to have a unique skill if you can read this stuff by looking at a player.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #312
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ya, it's weird because in other sports that are more difficult to analyze with statistics, you have more assumed validity of human-based storylines like the "Ewing theory." There's obviously more interaction between players in a basketball game so those human dynamics are much more pronounced, but I don't think we can rule them out as mattering in baseball in some situations as well. I think if you had the chance to replay the Angels season without Trout, they'd almost definitely be worse every time, but I wonder if there would be any psychological aspects at play that would result in changing performance for any other players. Because ya, if the Angles were a 74-78 win team without Trout, than the 2012 PECOTA and CAIRO projections (which didn't include Trout's monster year) were WAY off (they had the Angels as around a 91-92 win team).

Yeah, this situation is a tricky one and one impossible to prove. It could be the "Ewing effect" or it could be sample size or it could be some unknown other factor. We can only debate if it really exists. I would tend to think so in some capacity as team chemistry is a factor that is often overlooked but I think most of us can be certain it exists.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #313
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I disagree though. There are stats which are leading indicators to increased / lowered performance in future years. It's never 100%, I think a small change in a player's swing can affect everything, but stats do paint SOME sort of picture.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #314
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This is why I picked Miguel Cairo 1.1 in my fantasy league. That guy has mental toughness and a desire to help the team win.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #315
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Really? Wow you are so far lost it's not even worth trying to explain anything further. Live in your world of make believe.

Last edited by DanGarion : 11-17-2012 at 12:37 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #316
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:

EagleFan, I think what you are missing is that the entire point of "sabermetrics" or advanced stats or whatever you want to call them, is that the entire point is to figure out which statistics ARE predictive. That's done by eliminating the noise created by having 24 other players on your roster. Every stat has a lot of noise. But some stats have much more than others. RBI's have a lot of noise. RBI's do not predict a damn thing.

So "stat geeks" have attempted to come up with ways to eliminate that noise, to better describe the skills a player has. A players skill DOES predict something, which you obviously agree with. If we can come up with statistics that are much better indicators of actual talent, they actually can be used as predictive measures. Is there still a whole lot of other variables? Hell yes. To think a players mental fortitude is irrelevant is asinine. But to say that it's the only thing that matters when moving forward is equally so.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #317
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
You know which ones have mental toughness by looking at them?

Whats the outlook on Matt Barkley in regards to "mental toughness" and "desire to help a team win"? You seem to have a unique skill if you can read this stuff by looking at a player.

Looking at pictures, Barkley does not have a mustache, so he must be lacking in mental toughness. In fact, I am not even sure he could grow one, so definitely looking like a bust of a pick.

Last edited by Danny : 11-17-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #318
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Remember guys, the entire field of statistics has no predictive value. At all. So EagleFan has decreed, and the entire science can go determine "mental toughness" instead!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #319
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

To illustrate why batting average is flawed:

Player A: 40/100, 40 1B.
Player B: 40/100, 10 HR, 5 3B, 15 2B, 10 1B.

According to batting average, there is zero difference between those two players.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #320
miked
College Starter

Once again, batting average is not flawed, it is a stat. One to be given appropriate weight. Nobody looks at the .340 hitter who walked 20 times with 10 HR and thinks he is better than the .320 hitter with 75 BB and 30 HR. But the stat isn't flawed. Discounting it as a relevant stat in the triple crown is silly, it's highly relevant, but in context.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #321
Danny
Head Coach

USC losing 0-17 and Barkley is 2-6 with a pick. The mustache factor strikes again.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #322
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Really? Wow you are so far lost it's not even worth trying to explain anything further. Live in your world of make believe.

bhlah blah blah... fuck you...

It's pretty simple. Stats of what HAS happened have no bearing on what WILL happen. No matter how you spin them or how obnoxious of a sabermetrics geek you want to be.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #323
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
USC losing 0-17 and Barkley is 2-6 with a pick. The mustache factor strikes again.

Crap, the mustache.... Shave Nick Shave!!!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #324
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

It's pretty simple. Stats of what HAS happened have no bearing on what WILL happen. No matter how you spin them or how obnoxious of a sabermetrics geek you want to be.

Gosh, I hope you are trolling.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #325
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Once again, batting average is not flawed, it is a stat. One to be given appropriate weight. Nobody looks at the .340 hitter who walked 20 times with 10 HR and thinks he is better than the .320 hitter with 75 BB and 30 HR. But the stat isn't flawed. Discounting it as a relevant stat in the triple crown is silly, it's highly relevant, but in context.

First off, the bolded part I disagree with completely. I think there are plenty of people who still think that the .340 guy is a "better hitter" than the .320 guy.

What can you tell about a hitter from his batting average alone? Not too terribly much. Let's look at three hitters, for example, by batting average alone (they all played approximately a full season):

Player A - .204
Player B - .287
Player C - .321

If you were forced to evaluate those three hitters, A probably wouldn't make your team and C is clearly the best of the bunch. Here's the same three players and their slugging percentage:

Player A - .536
Player B - .508
Player C - .416

And finally, on base plus slugging:

Player A - .892
Player B - .877
Player C - .775

Your three players are Adam Dunn (Player A), Dan Uggla (Player B) and Omar Infante (Player C). These stats are from 2010.

When statistics exist that give us a much more accurate representation of a player's ability, why do we still rely on statistics that need a whole lot of context to actually tell us how good a player is?

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 11-17-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #326
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
To illustrate why batting average is flawed:

Player A: 40/100, 40 1B.
Player B: 40/100, 10 HR, 5 3B, 15 2B, 10 1B.

According to batting average, there is zero difference between those two players.

If batting average is the only stat a person ever looks at, I guess. OPS is flawed too if you only look at that and nothing else

Player A: 1.8923, 14 at bats.
Player B: 1.1052, 500 at bats.

According to OPS, Player A is WAY better than player B. Unless you look at context. Which every stat requires.

Last edited by molson : 11-17-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #327
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
If batting average is the only stat a person ever looks at, I guess. OPS is flawed too if you only look at that and nothing else

Player A: 1.8923, 14 at bats.
Player B: 1.1052, 500 at bats.

According to OPS, Player A is WAY better than player B. Unless you look at context. Which every stat requires.

Except in my example, you were given the ABs ("they all played approximately a full season") and still didn't know how good each of the players was. OPS and SLG are much better indicators of hitting talent than batting average. Do you disagree?

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 11-17-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #328
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Except in my example, you were given the ABs ("they all played approximately a full season") and still didn't know how good each of the players was. OPS and SLG are much better indicators of hitting talent than batting average. Do you disagree?

That's my point, you added a different stat for context. Sure, my example is extreme, but so is your assumption that there's a fan out there who has never heard of home runs and is just evaluating people strictly by batting avg.

I mean, since I was 3 years old I've understood that a .330 hitter with 0 home runs is not the same as a .330 hitter with 40 home runs.

I agree that OPS and SLG are better indicators than Avg alone (if anyone ever used average alone for some reason). Avg has a nice simplicity to it though, as a % of 100. I can tell the difference between a .240 hitter who doesn't walk at all and a .240 hitter that walks a lot, and I understand the latter is more valuable. Before people talked about OPS, we were aware of these things. We also were aware that some hitters struck out too much and others grounded into too many double plays and others had great speed, etc.

That's where one of the divides is in all this to me, I don't think the more hostile sabermetric guys understand that we always took this stuff in context. We undertand what a Win is for a pitcher, and that those Wins are much easier to get on good teams than bad teams. We understood what an RBI was. We understood that a guy hitting leadoff wouldn't have as many RBIs as a cleanup guy even if he was a similar hitter. RBI is also a storyline stat. In that if a guy hits 5 doubles in a game with the bases empty and never scores, that's great for him, but it wasn't a huge part of the story of the game. If another guy hit 2 doubles in a game and drove in 5 runs - honest to god, I understand that he didn't have as good a game as 5 double guy, but in the story of THAT game, he's the bigger story, and that's what those 5 RBIs represents. Someone here made that distinction once, and I thought they were on the right track - the traditional stats, especially pitcher wins and RBIs, are more about what happened in a game, whereas the more advanced stats try to predict the future and isolate individual players' performance in a game. Sometimes, I just want to see what happened in a game - who had the RBIs, who was the winning pitcher. And I also understand why people want to consider the accumulation of those game accomplishments as part of the criteria for awards and such. Kind of like how I understand how a player who played for a great team in huge games and had great moments is a better HOF candidate to some than a guy who had exactly the same performance but played for last place teams and made no dent whatsoever on baseball history. You can reasonably disagree that those types of storyline accomplishments should be considered, I just get annoyed when people insult your intelligence and assume you don't know what an RBI is (and that you "hate math") is if you look at baseball in that way.

Last edited by molson : 11-17-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #329
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Gosh, I hope you are trolling.

No, I think he really believes this stuff. Apparently data is a bad thing; we should only judge on grit.

Edit: fair point by Danny. Toned it down.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 11-17-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #330
Danny
Head Coach

Edit as well. Back on topic, but I do side with the statistics side of things, but if someone asked me if I would rather have arod or jeter the last 15 years, I might take JEter

Last edited by Danny : 11-17-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #331
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

That's where one of the divides is in all this to me, I don't think the more hostile sabermetric guys understand that we always took this stuff in context. We undertand what a Win is for a pitcher, and that those Wins are much easier to get on good teams than bad teams. We understood what an RBI was. We understood that a guy hitting leadoff wouldn't have as many RBIs as a cleanup guy even if he was a similar hitter. RBI is also a storyline stat. In that if a guy hits 5 doubles in a game with the bases empty and never scores, that's great for him, but it wasn't a huge part of the story of the game. If another guy hit 2 doubles in a game and drove in 5 runs - honest to god, I understand that he didn't have as good a game as 5 double guy, but in the story of THAT game, he's the bigger story, and that's what those 5 RBIs represents. Someone here made that distinction once, and I thought they were on the right track - the traditional stats, especially pitcher wins and RBIs, are more about what happened in a game, whereas the more advanced stats try to predict the future and isolate individual players' performance in a game. Sometimes, I just want to see what happened in a game - who had the RBIs, who was the winning pitcher. And I also understand why people want to consider the accumulation of those game accomplishments as part of the criteria for awards and such. Kind of like how I understand how a player who played for a great team in huge games and had great moments is a better HOF candidate to some than a guy who had exactly the same performance but played for last place teams and made no dent whatsoever on baseball history. You can reasonably disagree that those types of storyline accomplishments should be considered, I just get annoyed when people insult your intelligence and assume you don't know what an RBI is (and that you "hate math") is if you look at baseball in that way.

Well said!
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #332
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's my point, you added a different stat for context. Sure, my example is extreme, but so is your assumption that there's a fan out there who has never heard of home runs and is just evaluating people strictly by batting avg.

I mean, since I was 3 years old I've understood that a .330 hitter with 0 home runs is not the same as a .330 hitter with 40 home runs.

I agree that OPS and SLG are better indicators than Avg alone (if anyone ever used average alone for some reason). Avg has a nice simplicity to it though, as a % of 100. I can tell the difference between a .240 hitter who doesn't walk at all and a .240 hitter that walks a lot, and I understand the latter is more valuable. Before people talked about OPS, we were aware of these things. We also were aware that some hitters struck out too much and others grounded into too many double plays and others had great speed, etc.

I agree with Sweed, that was well reasoned and well spoken.

The problem I see with it is that yes, the guy with 5 doubles had a better hitting day than the guy with 2 doubles. The guy with 2 doubles just got "lucky" in that there were people on base when he hit his doubles. Did the guy with 5 RBIs have a bigger impact on that one game? Hell yes he did. But the other guy was a better baseball player that day. What are the point of awards? To recognize the better baseball players. I don't want to discount the 5 RBI guy completely, because damn it, the game is about scoring runs. But I have a real hard time penalizing the 5 double guy because none of his teammates got on base. I also have a hard time telling that guy with 5 RBI that the guy who had (almost) no impact on the final score of the game did better than he did.

I think it's pretty obvious that there won't be a clean, happy answer that will unite the peoples. But like someone said earlier in the thread - why would we want to? This is getting people to talk about baseball during football season, and that's never a bad thing (as much as I like football).
Old 11-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #333
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Dola - I would caution though that the "we were aware of these things" in reference to a .240 guy who doesn't take a walk versus a .240 guy who does is probably not as widespread as you think. Us "stat geeks" aren't targeting the intelligent people who still like traditional stats. We mostly dislike the fact that the casual fan is still force fed batting average and RBIs as awesome, clear cut indicators of someone's talent.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #334
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Jays-Marlins deal confirmed.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #335
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's not like Bud is ever going to do anything. He's flaccid.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #336
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It's not like Bud is ever going to do anything. He's flaccid.

Let's see how you're doing when you're 78.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #337
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He should have been booted from his position of power 10-12 years ago.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #338
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
As a Jays fan, I'm excited by this rumored trade. If I was a Marlins fan, I'd want Soria's head.

What did he ever do to you?

Also, I suppose not posting for a couple of weeks makes the thread title a bit out of date.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #339
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Keep creationism out of it, this is a baseball thread...
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #340
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Did I capture the last 4 pages accurately?

VS.

SI

Old 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #341
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What did he ever do to you?

Also, I suppose not posting for a couple of weeks makes the thread title a bit out of date.

SI

lol oops! Typo.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #342
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Jays-Marlins deal confirmed.

I guess Jeffrey Loria and Jeff Ireland, are in competition on who'll make their respective teams the worst in the Miami area.

Last edited by tucker rocky : 11-19-2012 at 05:21 PM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #343
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Look I understand part of your point. Josh Hamilton could go on a binge and never hit a home run ever again, but that doesn't discount sabermetrics and attempting to quantify what could happen in the future.

I'm glad my boss only keeps be around because I look like a good worker.

Last edited by DanGarion : 11-20-2012 at 11:08 AM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #344
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Bah. Guthrie resigns with KC for 3/$25. Add that to 1/$12 for Santana and its $37M worth of Magic Beans for all!

SI

Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #345
Subby
lolzcat

You can replace Simpsons Grandpa with Mitch Albom and it would be a little more accurate.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #346
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Jays hire Gibbons for a 2nd go round. Most of the smart Jays bloggers support the move. I'm fine with it, even if it seems strange. GM has been on point all off-season, so I trust the move and we'll just see how it goes. If nothing else, at least he'll come cheap and we know he wants to be in T-Dot.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #347
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Don't people across a wide swath of industries use stats to predict performance? Surely this isn't solely the province of sabremetricians.

You are looking at this from a binary perspective. I think that's the wrong approach. Since no one can forecast the future, the best we can do is to use mathematical probability based on existing data to give us a better understanding of what we can reasonably expect. The goal being to get as close to 100% certainty as possible. I don't see the issue with that.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 11-20-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #348
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Stats of what HAS happened indeed do not tell what WILL happen, but they say everything about what MAY happen.

Once a player displays a skill, he owns that skill. Period. Once Brady Anderson hit 50+ homers, he became a potential 50 HR player. Did that mean he WOULD DEFINITLEY hit 50 HR again, no, but it does mean he COULD.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 11-20-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #349
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Bah. Guthrie resigns with KC for 3/$25. Add that to 1/$12 for Santana and its $37M worth of Magic Beans for all!

SI

LOL, Wow. 20 million a year for two of the worst starting pitchers in baseball.

Ive never understood this philosophy. Paying millions for players with limited upside when you more than likely have minor league players that will get paid league minumum that can do pretty much the same.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-20-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #350
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Royals sign Jeremy Guthrie to three-year deal for $25 million (poll) - KansasCity.com

Don't forget this gem: "Moore conceded any further impact additions will require a corresponding move to clear payroll, which suggests it is more likely to come through a trade rather than another free-agent signing."

So, yes, the owner is cheap so he won't even have a $70M payroll ($68M currently) when pocketing an estimated $20-$30M. Meanwhile, his GM just spent half of what Anibal Sanchez is going to get on crap.

Again, the offseason blueprint was easy: overbid to get Sanchez. Then go for one of the "lesser" guys like Marcum, McCarthy, or Jackson on 3 year deal, one of the older guys who falls through the cracks on a 2 or 1 year deal, or trade for Haren not Santana and roll the dice on his health. But if that money was never on the table, then why even bother.

Now there's talk that they want to add another starter through trades. Great, so you take an offense that was in the bottom half of the league but has room to grow and trade it for a young, unproven pitcher. Lovely: you trade one of your few assets that is giving you excess value over contract (Gordon, Butler) or one of the young talents you need to improve to improve the offense (Moustakas, Hosmer, Myers) to get pitching. Stupid. Just stupid.

SI