Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #301
rowech
Pro Starter

Jones should probably shutup if he wants somebody to sign him as a free agent.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #302
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Jones should probably shutup if he wants somebody to sign him as a free agent.

Agreed....I haven't really looked him up lately, does he have many more good years left? Seems like he has been around forever.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #303
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I want to go to bed but I can't. I just keep getting more and more upset at losing like that. I feel like this team is going to implode now and they missed their window. Too many free agents, more coordinator change, etc.

To know they had the talent to be a legitimate super bowl team and to have it continually end like this and this being the absolute worst one yet...need to give up on ever being happy in life or the Bengals at this point. Why do we do this to ourselves by being fans? It's stupid.

Why can't they move to LA so I won't have any sense of loyalty to them anymore? Or why can't the NFL contract them out of existence?
Old 01-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #304
cougarfreak
College Starter

I think the answer is fairly simple. Remove helmets from players. Or go back to the softer leather ones. They won't be leading with their head/helmet very long.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #305
PilotMan
Head Coach

Nope, we're heading for the era of flags. It's really the only way. Plus, then we could get that hot girl who owns flag football in there.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #306
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The NFL has done it to themselves with spread offenses. Faster quicker players all over the field. At some point in NFL history coaching figured out it wasnt a good idea to run the option in the NFL. At some point coaches should probably also realize it is not a good idea to run small wide receivers into the middle of the field with large linebackers waiting for them.

Kind of surprised Brown doesnt take more dirty hits like that the way Pitt uses him. I am not saying it wasnt dirty because it was however with the amount of attention Brown gets and that throw being where it was it made Brown a target. The Steelers themselves exposed their best player in that way.

The cost of more exciting(offensive) football is a more dangerous game. Bring back the run offenses.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-10-2016 at 10:14 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #307
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
The NFL has done it to themselves with spread offenses. Faster quicker players all over the field. At some point in NFL history coaching figured out it wasnt a good idea to run the option in the NFL. At some point coaches should probably also realize it is not a good idea to run small wide receivers into the middle of the field with large linebackers waiting for them.

Kind of surprised Brown doesnt take more dirty hits like that the way Pitt uses him. I am not saying it wasnt dirty cause it was however with the amount of attention Brown gets and that throw being where it was it made Brown a target. The Steelers themselves exposed their best player in that way.

The cost of more exciting(offensive) football is a more dangerous game. Bring back the run offenses.

I don't know....I think if you switch focus to the running game, you likely will still see issues like this. RBs are faster and stronger than ever before...defensive players stopping them are the same.

I saw these stats for concussions back for the years 2012-2013, the highest position concussed was receiver and cornerback, each had 49 reported issues. The running back position had 36 reported issues. If you switch to running more, then there will be more opportunities for the RB to get hit, increasing their numbers. Just believe it would switch the focus, not eliminate the problem. Plain and simple, the overall game and every position is faster/stronger than ever before.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #308
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

After this weekend, I'm pretty sure that Houston is done with KC for awhile.

Sporting KC beat Dynamo
Royals beat Astros
Chiefs beat Texans
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #309
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

every time the idiots in the booth go to Mike Carey, my first thought is "how did this man succeed as an NFL ref"

my wife and I were watching a game a couple weeks ago and there was a review. she asked me what the result was going to be of the call. I told her to listen to what Mike Carey says and it will be the opposite. (It was)
Old 01-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #310
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

How did #55 pick the ball off late in the game, run 100+ yards to the locker room with 4-5 guys and not get a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct but the Steelers got one for celebrating a touchdown that got taken back because the player was ruled down after review?
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #311
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
How did #55 pick the ball off late in the game, run 100+ yards to the locker room with 4-5 guys and not get a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct but the Steelers got one for celebrating a touchdown that got taken back because the player was ruled down after review?

fair question...thought was odd as well.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #312
mckerney
Coordinator

And how did he not get tossed for his dirty shot on his sack earlier in the game.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #313
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That one's simple. Running isn't a penalty, but two or more people doing the same planned celebration is a penalty. As soon as Dupree started in with the same dance as the scorer he left the ref with no choice.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #314
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

While I'm not saying it wasn't a penalty, I don't think Burfict was head hunting there. While he may have still been trying to kill Brown, he is also visibly lowering his shoulder just as Brown's feet are touching the ground. Brown subsequently drops his head just after landing which is what caused the hit to the head. It looked like Brown was trying to a brace himself for the hit and in doing so put his head right in line with Burfict's shoulder. At those speeds, I honestly don't think there was much Burfict could do about it.

This is in contrast to the Shazier hit on Bernard, which very clearly appeared to be leading with the crown of the helmet, which I was under the impression was a penalty. If anything, I thought that hit was much more flagrant than the Burfict hit. In one instance, you have a guy intentionally committing a foul (leading with the Crown) while the other has the guy taking a step (lowering the shoulder) to make a proper tackle. The official was right there for the hit on Bernard and I'm not sure how he missed it. Terrible non call that resulted in Pittsburgh getting the turnover instead of what should have been Cincy's ball around the Pittsburgh 12 yard line after the penalty.

I also can't understand the Joey Porter non calls. From what I understand, he could have been flagged for two separate infractions, yet he gets into a dispute with Bengals players and somehow Jones gets the flag out of it while Porter does not?

I don't have a preference for either of these teams but it really seemed like the Bengals got jobbed out with shitty non-calls. There was such an emphasis to call a tight game here but it was the officiating that sent this game off the rails. With the proper call on Shazier, maybe Burfict is not running around in the 4th quarter like an idiot (that Bernard play seemed to set him off) while an early call on Porter avoids the whole Jones situation. Guys like Burfict and Jones are always going to act like idiots but when you fail to make such obvious calls, I can understand their frustration and it only makes the situation worse. They are still ultimately responsible but the refs in this game didn't do the Bengals any favours.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:03 AM   #315
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That one's simple. Running isn't a penalty, but two or more people doing the same planned celebration is a penalty. As soon as Dupree started in with the same dance as the scorer he left the ref with no choice.

TAUNTING
(c) The use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.
(d) Individual players involved in prolonged or excessive celebrations. Players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations while on the ground. A celebration shall be deemed excessive or prolonged if a player continues to celebrate after a warning from an official.
(e) Two-or-more players engage in prolonged, excessive, premeditated, or choreographed celebrations.
(f) Possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game on the field or the sideline, or using the ball as a prop.

I didn't have a dog in the fight but isn't running 100 yards in the wrong direction up a tunnel a prolonged or excessive celebration during a game?
Old 01-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #316
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
While I'm not saying it wasn't a penalty, I don't think Burfict was head hunting there.

Rest of post is moot. C'mon.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #317
Dutch
"Dutch"

The fact that Marvin Lewis defends it is terrible. If he allows this sort of behavior, there will be many more disappointing losses in the Bengals future with him at the helm. Which I'm fine with, but if I was a Bengals fan, I'd be looking elsewhere.

At the same time, I get the Steelers coaching staff mind-games. The NFL needs to enforce their fucking rules that coaches aren't allowed on the field, especially when they are there to target and antagonize players (Adam Jones).

Just a shameful display of NFL football all the way around.

Quote:
Rule 13.1.2

Either or both team attendants and their helpers may enter the field to attend their team during a team timeout by either team. No other non-player may come on the field without the Referee's permission, unless he is an incoming substitute (5-2-2).

During any team timeout, all playing rules continue in force. Representatives of either team are prohibited from entering the field unless they are incoming substitutes, or team attendants or trainers entering to provide for the welfare of a player, and any game-type activities are prohibited on the Field of Play.

Last edited by Dutch : 01-10-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #318
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

KARE 11 on Twitter: "The #Vikings #Gjallarhorn is shattered from the cold temps before today's #SEAvsMIN game. https://t.co/0MceMuekPl"

So the Vikings horn broke this morning? Is this a sign they won't score today?
Old 01-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #319
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
TAUNTING
(c) The use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.
(d) Individual players involved in prolonged or excessive celebrations. Players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations while on the ground. A celebration shall be deemed excessive or prolonged if a player continues to celebrate after a warning from an official.
(e) Two-or-more players engage in prolonged, excessive, premeditated, or choreographed celebrations.
(f) Possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game on the field or the sideline, or using the ball as a prop.

I didn't have a dog in the fight but isn't running 100 yards in the wrong direction up a tunnel a prolonged or excessive celebration during a game?

I wouldn't have argued a flag on Burfict there, but that's a judgement call. The Dupree flag wasn't a judgement call. Since the Johnson/Owens years the ban on two or more players celebrating has been crystal clear. The official had to throw a flag there.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #320
Travis
Pro Rookie

I am so damn excited for this game. Time is moving much too slowly right now.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #321
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let's go Vikings!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #322
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

And I'm not really rooting for anyone in the last game. I guess the Packers? Not really though. Go Vikings!!!

Old 01-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #323
Travis
Pro Rookie

Gutsy call by the Vikings. I like it. Seahawks probably worried he was just trying to get them to jump.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #324
Travis
Pro Rookie

Blech, using a time out this early in a punting situation?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #325
kingfc22
Head Coach

Punter trying to hurdle defenders. Come on man.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #326
Travis
Pro Rookie

You haven't seen his episode of American Ninja Warrior have you?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #327
Travis
Pro Rookie

That said, if you want to call anybody out on that play, long snapper already cost Seattle probably 30+ yards in field position.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #328
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Nice to see a game where the refs arent trying to be the MVP. Vikings controlling the clock thus far although not doing much. Keep feeding AP eventually he will bust something. That tipped ball was close to a pick 6.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-10-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #329
TroyF
Coordinator

What a seriously stupid challenge.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #330
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I thought it was iffy in real time but yeah, that wasn't going to be overturned
Old 01-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #331
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I thought it was iffy in real time but yeah, that wasn't going to be overturned

Probably not but the angle to overturn it was perfect. Right on the line, clear view of the first down marker.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-10-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #332
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well Seattle wins teh race to burn your TOs out first!

Old 01-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #333
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
If the NFL wants to remain viable, something has to be done to ensure that we don't have any more hits like the ones on Bernard and Brown.

I don't feel comfortable, knowing that lives are shortened and the quality of life often made miserable by the effects of repeated concussions. And, knowing the determination of these players, I suspect that at least half of the concussions, even today, go undetected or unreported.

It's hard to enjoy the game when I think of how Junior Seau essentially sacrificed his post-career life to play at the level he played.

Shazier clearly lowered his head and hit Bernard in the jaw. Because Bernard wasn't in a defenseless position, this type of hit is rarely flagged and those idiot announcers celebrated it.

But it wasn't a legal hit under the rules and it is *exactly* the type of hit the NFL has to eliminate if we're going to have an NFL even 20 years from now. If not, at some point youth and high school football will become too expensive to insure and elite athletes will choose lacrosse or basketball or synchronized curling for all I know.

That doesn't excuse Burfict, who was a train looking to wreck in the fourth quarter. I hope Bernard and Brown are OK. I can really admire Roethlisberger for coming back when he knew he was limited and must have been in a lot of pain. But the NFL absolutely has to take some leadership on this lowering-the-head and sticking someone issue.

First off, I disagree with the viable comment. The NFL is simply going to keep rumbling on. It is as close to an unstoppable force as we have ever had.

Beyond that, I said above what I think needs to happen. They need to go to a college targeting system. Targeting call? You are ejected from the game. Multiple personal fouls or unsportsmanlike conducts? Bye Bye.

A fine of $20,000 for a guy making 7 figures a year is simply not going to have an impact on some players. (people who argue with me on this usually tell me it is the same as a speeding ticket for me and that works, no what works is the fact that points will cause me not to be able to drive)

This will never stop, but you can cut a lot of this garbage out with stiffer penalties for their actions.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #334
Travis
Pro Rookie

Chancellor burned badly on that play, thank goodness for ET getting there just in time.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #335
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
First off, I disagree with the viable comment. The NFL is simply going to keep rumbling on. It is as close to an unstoppable force as we have ever had.

Beyond that, I said above what I think needs to happen. They need to go to a college targeting system. Targeting call? You are ejected from the game. Multiple personal fouls or unsportsmanlike conducts? Bye Bye.

A fine of $20,000 for a guy making 7 figures a year is simply not going to have an impact on some players. (people who argue with me on this usually tell me it is the same as a speeding ticket for me and that works, no what works is the fact that points will cause me not to be able to drive)

This will never stop, but you can cut a lot of this garbage out with stiffer penalties for their actions.

I think you can fix it by making an intentional personal foul category that results in immediate ejection from the game. The second intentional in a season would cost a game check or 1/16 of salary for coaches/staff. That will clean things up quickly.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #336
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Awesome. Bud Grant wearing a polo shirt during pre-game.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #338
Travis
Pro Rookie

I really like the "tough" players going sleeveless but as soon as they get off the field they're diving into those big jackets or blankets and standing as close as they can to the heaters.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #339
Travis
Pro Rookie

Tough on the DB there on the under thrown ball but glad to see the Seahawks finally take a shot down the field.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #340
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What makes assinine machismo awesome?

Because not just anyone can be Bud Grant awesome.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #341
Travis
Pro Rookie

Damn.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #343
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What makes assinine machismo awesome?

It's awesome a priori.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #344
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ridiculous catch.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #345
Travis
Pro Rookie

More of that please Doug.

And less of the underthrowing to Lockett please Russ.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #346
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Big field goal.... 2 possession lead.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-10-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #347
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well Seahawks, you've had the biggest errors so far in this one, one quarter left to get things right and pull this one out. I hope you've got it in you.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #348
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Apparently the Seahawks need to make more errors
Old 01-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #349
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Maclin only has a high ankle sprain. Thankfully no knee issues.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #350
Travis
Pro Rookie

Obviously happy with getting 7 to make this a game, but also very curious to see how Teddy looks now that Seattle has put some points up. If he can lead a big drive here, could start to run the Seahawks out of clock.