Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2017, 10:12 PM   #3501
Groundhog
Coordinator

One of the major running themes is magic progressively returning to the world after an absence long enough to make people forget it existed. That makes it easier to explain away things like Sam's Magical Elixir of Greyscale Remedy.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:34 AM   #3502
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah but the dude told him that he had to leave the next day. The Maester seemed shocked at how quickly he healed over the course of an evening.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:52 AM   #3503
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yeah but the dude told him that he had to leave the next day. The Maester seemed shocked at how quickly he healed over the course of an evening.

Jorah was told he had leave when he was cured, but nobody said that the treatment happened one day before his release. I got the sense watching the scene that some time had passed - weeks or months.

Samwell Cures Jorah Mormont - Game Of Thrones 7x03 - YouTube

Last edited by molson : 08-03-2017 at 02:43 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:58 AM   #3504
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Things is, I don't disagree in essence. It's like a fast forward button has been pressed since the show passed the books. I just lay the blame at the books more than I do the show runners - keeping in mind that originally it was planned as a trilogy, so GRRM himself stretched it beyond the original story he had in mind, which is completely clear when you read books 4 and onwards. Either we get a proper ending to the main arc that has been running since season 1, or we get a never-ending series of side stories until the show gets cancelled or the cast want to go off and do something else.

It will be interesting to see, if the next books ever come out, how much of the final seasons of the show was developed by the writers and directors alone, and how much came from GRRM. We know he gave them the ending, and I think I read that he gave him a blueprint on how to get there. But I always figured that a part of his trouble finishing the books was the fact that the show was telling his story first.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:23 AM   #3505
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Jorah was told he had leave when he was cured, but nobody said that the treatment happened one day before his release. I got the sense watching the scene that some time had passed - weeks or months.

Samwell Cures Jorah Mormont - Game Of Thrones 7x03 - YouTube

The previous episode, after diagnosing him the dude told him he would be sent to live with the rest of the stonemen immediately but since he was an anointed knight, he would allow him one day before he left. Then he looked over at Jorah's sword and said something like "use that time as you wish". That's why Sam did the treatment that night.

Last edited by Logan : 08-03-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #3506
SteveM58
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It will be interesting to see, if the next books ever come out, how much of the final seasons of the show was developed by the writers and directors alone, and how much came from GRRM. We know he gave them the ending, and I think I read that he gave him a blueprint on how to get there. But I always figured that a part of his trouble finishing the books was the fact that the show was telling his story first.

I'm quite sure the ultimate story arc will end up the same, but I actually think there will be some not-inconsequential differences.

For example, I could see John Snow's parentage being different in the books as compared to the more straightforward show explanation. I know that's a bit of a religious argument for hard-core fans but differences like that allow the overall story arc to playout onscreen while GRRM still gets to surprise his book readers.
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #3507
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
I could not disagree more. After all this time spent building relationships, intrigue, etc, now the show seems like an impatient bull rush toward conclusion. "Let's just get this shit over with" is a poor attitude to have toward the fantastic material the writers have at their disposal. I'm a bit ... miffed. There, I said it ...

Indeed. Besides, people didn't get into Game of Thrones because of the action scenes, the dragons, or the magic - those things didn't exist in Season 1 (well, with the exception of magical White Walkers). They got into it because of the political intrigue and scheming. Where has any of that been in the last few seasons? The reason people liked the last episode so much was because it had scheming and game playing.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #3508
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The previous episode, after diagnosing him the dude told him he would be sent to live with the rest of the stonemen immediately but since he was an anointed knight, he would allow him one day before he left. Then he looked over at Jorah's sword and said something like "use that time as you wish". That's why Sam did the treatment that night.

Logan's got this one right, it happened in one night. The Archmaester told him he would be forced to leave the next day.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #3509
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Re Euron/Yara/Theon: it's hard to believe that Yara and Theon could have stolen the entire fleet if you think about it. Euron had become the leader of the Greyjoys so you would expect that at least some/most of the sailors/pirates would obey him. That would then mean that Yara/Theon would have a much smaller pool of loyalists to escape with them. Unless they were manning each ship with a skeleton crew, it's unlikely they could have stolen all of the fleet. Plus you would think that it would be difficult to manage such an operation in a really short span of time.

Jon snow continues to be one of my major gripes on the show. It's great that he has the moment of self-realisation while talking to Tyrion but man his character comes off as completely oblivious. If you've read the spoilers, it would appear that future events would tie back to another decision of his. Sorry for being cryptic.

Besides, why not just tie up with Dany, roll over Cersei then unite the kingdoms to fight the white walkers? He seems to think everyone should just drop everything because he says so.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #3510
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I thought the same the first time I read the books and I thought the end of Book 5 was a good return to form. However on a re-read, I discovered something really interesting... Book 4 has suddenly became my 2nd favorite book. I was so enthralled by all the action and surprises and shocks in Book 3 that I was pissed that Book 4 didn't have that. On the re-read though, I realized that slower, more introspective pace of Book 4, esp the showing of the aftermath and horror of war and the maturing of Jamie and Brienne, was brilliant. So, perhaps I'd suggest a re-read may do some good.

I appreciate that. I've actually gone back and am listening to the audiobooks right now. So far I've listened to the first two. The reader is quite good and goes some interesting voices (even though they may be off from the TV voices). I'll certainly get back to book 4 within a year and revisit it.

I'll admit that it has been tough at times, because I've read the books once already, watched the show twice in a row, once when they originally aired, and another last winter when my wife finally agreed to watch it with me. Now I am listening to the audiobooks. There is definitely some Game of Thrones burnout happening, LOL.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #3511
stevew
Hall Of Famer

With all the hacks and leaks, I wish HBO would just do all 6 hours of next year in theatres, as some all day event. I know people would be game for that. I'd easily pay 60$ or so.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #3512
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
With all the hacks and leaks, I wish HBO would just do all 6 hours of next year in theatres, as some all day event. I know people would be game for that. I'd easily pay 60$ or so.

But HBO makes money on it by the $15 a month subscriptions that people forget to cancel for 2 years .
Old 08-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #3513
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Episode 4 is indeed out on torrent. I may or may not have already watched.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:10 PM   #3514
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Ya.. Same. Recommend waiting for Sunday, though, as that episode deserves to be seen in all its 1080p glory
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:09 AM   #3515
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Ya.. Same. Recommend waiting for Sunday, though, as that episode deserves to be seen in all its 1080p glory

Agreed.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #3516
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I saw a couple Youtube clips that look excellent. If they are from tomorrow's episode, it's going to rock.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #3517
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The hints of dragon glass as part of the cure should have been followed through.
Quote:
Yeah or if they showed him flaking dragon glass or something. Did he use the dragon glass knife maybe? I didn't think so
Yeah, I think a simple 'Sam scrapes it off with a dragon glass knife & that magically cauterized it" would've sufficed. But I'd say Sam & Jorah are easily the two most boring on screen characters for me, so I'm not going to complain too much if they get a quick resolution on their storyline!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #3518
Edward64
Head Coach

Great episode. The ending really can't be the ending can it?
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #3519
General Mike
Pro Starter

Glorious episode
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #3520
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

No way.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 08-06-2017 at 09:06 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #3521
sabotai
General Manager

That battle was awesome, but the best moment of the episode IMO:

Brienne: Who taught you how to do that?
Arya: No one.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #3522
bhlloy
Coordinator

So did they get the gold, or did it make it to Kings Landing safely? I'm not clear on exactly what got dragoned the F up
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #3523
sabotai
General Manager

And I think they've handled all of the reunions so far very well. Happy to see each other, but they've all gone through so much shit that they don't really know each other anymore, leading to a more awkward than happy reunion. Which is how it should be.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #3524
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So did they get the gold, or did it make it to Kings Landing safely? I'm not clear on exactly what got dragoned the F up

They established that the gold was already in the keep pre-attack.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #3525
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Gold made it to King's Landing (Randal Tarly said before the battle). What Drogon burned up, I think, was all the food they had collected from the farmers in The Reach as well as the rest of the general loot from taking Highgarden.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #3526
bhlloy
Coordinator

And presumably that was the bulk of the Lannister army as well?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #3527
sabotai
General Manager

Reading one of the threads on reddit, I saw that I missed something.

Jon: How many men do we have in the North to fight him? 10,000? Less?
Davos: Fewer.
Jon: What?

Didn't even register with me while watching it. (Too busy thinking about them talking about Dany's "good heart" I guess)
Old 08-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #3528
PilotMan
Head Coach

Fantastic just fantastic

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:52 PM   #3529
molson
General Manager

I missed Bronn the first few episodes - great to see him being all awesome here.

Last edited by molson : 08-06-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #3530
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think Jamie or both get fished out, even though they made the river seem deeper on the last shot. Bronn at least I think only had on leather armor so presumably he could actually swim or float out on his own (at least using movie/TV show logic).

I also disagree that was supposed to be "the bulk" of the Lannister army. Don't think they said enough info to make an educated guess on how much was on each side of the river, but they made it clear the lines were stretched and the head was already across the river/inside the gates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
And I think they've handled all of the reunions so far very well. Happy to see each other, but they've all gone through so much shit that they don't really know each other anymore, leading to a more awkward than happy reunion. Which is how it should be.
Oh, idk. I agree they should be a little awkward & bittersweet, but Bran's speech to Sansa crossed the line into full creepyness.

Also, Arya's right - they need better guards there at Winterfell!

Last edited by BishopMVP : 08-06-2017 at 11:44 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:37 PM   #3531
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Bronn just being Bronn. Though him leaping off the ballista to barely avoid dragon fire which had been doing splash damage everywhere else doesn't on him. How nice of the dragon!! I thank.you so that we can get more giggles at the name of Dickon.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #3532
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
but Bran's speech to Sansa crossed the line into full creepyness.

Yeah, and it was awesome!
Old 08-06-2017, 11:57 PM   #3533
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That episode was pure fire. From beginning to end. Wow.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #3534
Groundhog
Coordinator

Glad I waited for the 1080 version of that. Loved every scene.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:15 AM   #3535
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Glad I waited for the 1080 version of that. Loved every scene.

ditto.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:50 AM   #3536
MrBug708
Head Coach

I suppose if Jon marries Dany, he won't have to bend the knee
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:06 AM   #3537
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Given that she told Daario to go away because she needed marriage options to lure in Westorosi nobles, either they need pointless tension or Tyrion, Varys and herself are seriously off their game. Her other choices are enemies, people we don't know of 6.5 seasons in, or a 12 year old twit in the Vale.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:48 AM   #3538
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That was good shit. No nits to pick tonight!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:33 AM   #3539
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think Jamie or both get fished out, even though they made the river seem deeper on the last shot. Bronn at least I think only had on plot armor

Fixed
Old 08-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #3540
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
I think Jamie or both get fished out, even though they made the river seem deeper on the last shot. Bronn at least I think only had on leather armor so presumably he could actually swim or float out on his own (at least using movie/TV show logic).

I also disagree that was supposed to be "the bulk" of the Lannister army. Don't think they said enough info to make an educated guess on how much was on each side of the river, but they made it clear the lines were stretched and the head was already across the river/inside the gates.
Oh, idk. I agree they should be a little awkward & bittersweet, but Bran's speech to Sansa crossed the line into full creepyness.

Also, Arya's right - they need better guards there at Winterfell!

I agree at first viewing (last weeks episode) of Bran's speech to Sansa being creepy if you take just that part out alone. Last night's episode though helped mildly explain why it was so creepy in his next little speech that he only vaguely remembers being Bran and that Bran died in those caves.

Was it creepy and strange? Yes. Was the creepiness and strangeness explained at least a little? Yes.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #3541
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

He'd have to bend the knee in a different way to marry her.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #3542
Atocep
Coordinator

Good episode and I'm usually not one to nitpick but there were some issues. Bron would have still roasted if dragon fire got that close to him. Him firing and reloading the ball ballista like he'd done it a 1,000 times didn't make sense either. Combine that with the buddy vibe they're using for Jamie and Bron and a good episode descended into cheesy action at times.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #3543
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Plot armor attached to the gold this time!

Also, I'm thinking that this wasn't all of the Lannister army right, because the Lannister cavalry wasn't on the field - I'm guessing they were the ones that escorted the gold to KL.

Poor Jamie though . If he went out, he went out like a badass...
Old 08-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #3544
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So we had another cameo, btw... I didn't notice in the slightest when it happened:

New York Mets pitcher Noah Syndergaard roasted alive in Game of Thrones cameo | Sport | The Guardian
Old 08-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #3545
bronconick
College Starter

Tarly said they were spread too thin so that the front of the train wouldn't be able to get back to support the tail.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #3546
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ah right! Thanks! So possibly half of the Lannister army? But now with the gold to pay Robert's debts, the Iron Bank may be willing to make additional loans... perhaps to get the aforementioned Golden Company over to Westeros (though I doubt they'll get into all the interesting background regarding the Golden Company).
Old 08-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #3547
PilotMan
Head Coach

I also want to add that Drogon looked incredible. His rendering and effects were glorious.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #3548
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

An amazing episode!

Absolutely fantastic.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #3549
Arles
Grey Dog Software

That was one of my favorite episodes. It flowed perfectly and the time flew by. The scenes were amazing to watch as well.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #3550
Easy Mac

The music as the dragon was on the move was perfect. Great sense of dread, almost like watching a horror movie.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote