Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #3551
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
But, like I said, moot point. I actually do think the Tigers aren't that anxious to keep him, because of the contract. That may have eased some with his season this year, but that's still a hefty contract. Lot of rumors out there the past year for a guy a team doesn't have some interest in moving.
But I think the rumors were entirely wishful thinking from fans of other teams connecting the dots (Tigers losing money, off-field incidents, declining performance) and had little basis in reality. The 3rd one obviously was proven wrong, and the 1st one was/is overrated. While Detroit is hurting, Ilitch never has been, or has run his teams like it. And even so, Detroit loses a lot of payroll after this season - $55-$70m depending on whether they exercise their $15m option on Magglio Ordonez (I would guess not). MLB Detroit 10 Plus they signed Johnny Damon to a 1-yr, $8m deal this offseason - that's the sign of a team/owner willing to spend to win, not someone penny-pinching and desperate to cut payroll.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 08-29-2010 at 07:52 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #3552
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Incidentally, McCann's home run is the first game-ender in MLB history to come on a reversal by instant replay.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #3553
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
ManRam to ChiSox?

/tk

Stoked for this, I am.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #3554
Izulde
Head Coach

Manny headed to White Sox on waiver claim | whitesox.com: News

Article detailing Manny pickup.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #3555
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Cabrera is going nowhere. Illitch lives for the Tigers and he personally asked Dombrowski if he could get Cabrera when the trade happened.

No way he ever signs off on that considering the town has forgiven him and he has had no issues this season.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #3556
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Do you seriously think Cabrera would get through waivers? I mean, that sounds preposterous to me.

Yeah, anyone thinking a guy with a career .942 OPS and a current year 1.084 is high.

I mean, seriously, he could be killing people in the offseason and someone would still claim him on waivers.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 AM   #3557
Butter
Coordinator

When the Cards can't even get wins with Wainwright out there, you know they've got problems.

Here's to hoping that even if the Reds get swept in St. Louis, they will still have a 2-3 game lead coming out of there.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #3558
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I had a dream about Cabrera getting through waivers and the Sox picking him up in a 3-way trade with LAA and DET.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #3559
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

If, and that's a huge if, Detroit wanted to trade Cabrera it makes absolutely no sense to do it now. Pre-deadline? Maybe. After the season? Definitely. Halos Heaven is usually not bad but this idea was very fanboyish. Why would Detroit try to limit the market for Cabrera by trading him through waivers, even if he did make it to the Angels?

The whole thing makes so little sense.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 08-30-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #3560
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's exactly it. It's not that he couldn't be traded, particularly in the offseason- big contract, maybe Detroit wants to go another way or something (seems stupid to me, tho). It just has no way in hell of happening over waivers at this time in the year.

SI

Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #3561
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Of course not.

I'm just saying - I had a dream about it.

I never have dreams - I don't sleep enough usually.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-30-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #3562
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Not directed at you, DT- you weren't acting like this could actually happen

SI

Old 08-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #3563
molson
General Manager

Very random thought, but - has anyone ever read anything about how MLB transactions are actually processed?

I'd guess in the old days there was a lot of faxing of paperwork with signatures, but now, I wonder if there's an online transaction software that facilitates waivers, trades, etc. That's be an interesting outside the lines episode.

Last edited by molson : 08-30-2010 at 11:43 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #3564
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Not directed at you, DT- you weren't acting like this could actually happen

SI

lol alright
Old 08-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #3565
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If, and that's a huge if, Detroit wanted to trade Cabrera it makes absolutely no sense to do it now. Pre-deadline? Maybe. After the season? Definitely. Halos Heaven is usually not bad but this idea was very fanboyish. Why would Detroit try to limit the market for Cabrera by trading him through waivers, even if he did make it to the Angels?

The whole thing makes so little sense.

Well, Halos Heaven switched the story to the Red Sox fairly quick. Not sure why you would say it's fanboyish. Seems clear to me they had a source that didn't have good info, and either that source got better info and touched base with them again, or they found another source with better info.

I hardly think you have a situation here where the site operator(s) were being fanboyish. They ran with what they had at the time.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #3566
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Nope, he was speculating:

Quote:
Could the Detroit Tigers have made a claim and will offer Miguel Cabrera in a trade to the Angels for Napoli? Cabrera's hefty salary and tipsy reputation would have had an easier chance at clearing waivers than many sluggers.

He certainly isn't citing a source that gave him bad information. It's very fanboyish. The "could" part doesn't pass the smell test at all - the first post about it in this thread just wonders if he's a troll.

ETA: In the comments, he pretty much confirms it.

Quote:
but yeah … that is just wild speculation on my part to mention Cabrera … it is an example, though, of a non-contending team going “all-in” for the future… somewhat akin to what Reagins did in acquiring Dan Haren…

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 08-30-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #3567
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nope, he was speculating:

He certainly isn't citing a source that gave him bad information. It's very fanboyish. The "could" part doesn't pass the smell test at all - the first post about it in this thread just wonders if he's a troll.

ETA: In the comments, he pretty much confirms it.

Hmm, well it was put forth as a report by the original poster here, not as wild speculation on a fan site. I took that on faith, and I never read further down to see those comments the one time I clicked on the link.

So, yes, it is fanboyish, but I see now it was intended to be. This was never supposed to be a report claiming the Angels and Tigers were possibly working on a deal involving Napoli and Cabrera.

The problem wasn't with Halo's Heaven, which did what it's supposed to do (be a fan site). The problem was with how it was represented here.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-30-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #3568
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Yes, and if I were to say/post somewhere "The Red Sox could trade faltering closer Jonathan Papelbon for Adrian Gonzalez" I would have no complaint if called out for fanboyism.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #3569
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, and if I were to say/post somewhere "The Red Sox could trade faltering closer Jonathan Papelbon for Adrian Gonzalez" I would have no complaint if called out for fanboyism.

I wish they could trade him!!!

Fortunately they'll just let him walk in FA.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #3570
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If you, a poster in an off topic forum unrelated to any legitimate news source, just tossed that out, you shouldn't have any complaint to be called out for fanboyism. This situation and your hypothetical are apples and oranges. Nice straw man.

Halos Heaven is a mix of throwing out stories on the Angels and fanboy posts, what you would usually see in a more legit fan site. You yourself describe it as "usually not too bad". At the time we were having this discussion, we all thought the Cabrera speculation was being thrown out there as a legit story, not off the cuff wishful thinking on the part of the site operator. At that point, I don't think it was fair to call the site out for fanboyism; we presumed that it was presented as a story with a source. I can see calling it a bad source, but not fanboyism. If theyw ere just reporting a story given to them by a source, that's not them being fanboys.

Now that we have looked more closely at the post on Halo's Heaven, we see it was wild speculation and not intended to be a "story". It was aimed to be a fanboy post. I have no problem calling it a fanboy post now; it's a site that will put up posts like that. I have a problem with presuming it's a fanboy post back when we were all under the assumption it was a story with a source. Unless you have evidence Halo's Heaven has in the past posted outrageous lies with heavy Angels leans as "stories", I don't see how you could presume it's fanboyism before discovering the original intent of the post.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #3571
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Haha, man you are taking this seriously. I don't think anybody but perhaps you thought they were really reporting that trade was being discussed. The ridiculousness of the thought of it put it in fanboy speculation immediately.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #3572
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Why again was Napoli dangled on waivers? Was it just to showcase him for a future trade to gauge interest? I mean, why would you let a 20 homer arby-eligible catcher go for the next-to-nothing you get in an August trade?

SI

Old 08-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #3573
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Why again was Napoli dangled on waivers? Was it just to showcase him for a future trade to gauge interest? I mean, why would you let a 20 homer arby-eligible catcher go for the next-to-nothing you get in an August trade?

SI
When you say dangled, how do you mean? My understanding is usually just about everyone on a roster is put through waivers in August just to see what other teams might offer and to open the possibility of making post July 31st trades, and most of those waivers get revoked because there's little chance the team would actually want to let that player go.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #3574
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ah. Did not know that

SI

Old 08-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #3575
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ah. Did not know that

SI
What usually happens post July is a GM puts most (if not all) of their roster through waivers, and when claims come back on them, they either revoke the waivers or they start talking with the claiming team to see if they can work something out. Or, they just let them go if the player has an albatross of a contract and another team claims him anyway...
Old 08-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #3576
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

So one question then would be why Napoli went so much later? Ramirez too for that matter - just to see if they're still in the race or not come the end of the month? It was my understanding that this "bulk-wavering" happened soon after the non-waiver deadline.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #3577
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So one question then would be why Napoli went so much later? Ramirez too for that matter - just to see if they're still in the race or not come the end of the month? It was my understanding that this "bulk-wavering" happened soon after the non-waiver deadline.
From what I've read, no - this stuff can be spaced out over August and into September. They don't necessarily do them all at once.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #3578
SackAttack
Head Coach

The August part is really only for playoff eligibility.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #3579
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Fair enough, though I'm pretty sure the waiver trade deadline is 8/31.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #3580
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:

Trades can still be made after 8/31 but a player must be on the roster on 9/1 to be playoff eligible.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #3581
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I just saw that on mlb.com, I stand corrected.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #3582
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Decided to watch the Reds game tonight. Their baserunning skills make it obvious they have a manager who doesn't like to clog the bases.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #3583
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny View Post
Trades can still be made after 8/31 but a player must be on the roster on 9/1 to be playoff eligible.

Thus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The August part is really only for playoff eligibility.

Oh. Huh.

Quote:
I just saw that on mlb.com, I stand corrected.

post-August waiver trades can be useful if you need a temporary replacement for a guy who's injured but will be healthy by the postseason, or if you're acquiring a guy with more than just the rest of the current season in mind.

But if you've got October in mind, you'd better do your acquiring by 8/31, yeah.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #3584
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Heyward scoring from first on a single was pretty cool. I know his baserunning has been brought up a few times in here, this was another good example of it.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #3585
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Decided to watch the Reds game tonight. Their baserunning skills make it obvious they have a manager who doesn't like to clog the bases.

You have caught them on a bad night. They tend to make some errors here and there, but tonight has just been atrocious. They were the first to third kings earlier this season but tonight has been ugh
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #3586
Easy Mac

Heyward is like a talented David Eckstein
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #3587
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, but...

Thus...

Oh. Huh.

post-August waiver trades can be useful if you need a temporary replacement for a guy who's injured but will be healthy by the postseason, or if you're acquiring a guy with more than just the rest of the current season in mind.

But if you've got October in mind, you'd better do your acquiring by 8/31, yeah.

There was some debate on another site as to whether you could replace a DL player with a player that wasn't on the twenty five man by 9/1. Does anybody know the answer to this?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #3588
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

6 fucking games out? Kudos to Cincy.. 12-4 after we swept them..

Maybe LaRussa will finally retire?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #3589
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There was some debate on another site as to whether you could replace a DL player with a player that wasn't on the twenty five man by 9/1. Does anybody know the answer to this?

Maybe. Read this attempted explanation based on the Tigers roster last season & see if it helps answer your question.
Playoff Roster Eligibility Rules

My reading of that is that they have to be in the organization on 8/31 but not necessarily on the 25-man (or 25+DL) automatic eligibility list on 8/31 in order to become a playoff replacement player.

edit to add an example: I believe that means that the Braves could call up Freddy Freeman for the playoffs to replace a hypothetically injured Derek Lee, even if they didn't add him to the major league roster until 9/4 or whatever.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-30-2010 at 10:49 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #3590
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Price and F-Rod both made the playoff rosters via chicanery in recent years. I'm pretty sure if you ggoogle an article from their call up it will explain the situation.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #3591
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Maybe. Read this attempted explanation based on the Tigers roster last season & see if it helps answer your question.
Playoff Roster Eligibility Rules

My reading of that is that they have to be in the organization on 8/31 but not necessarily on the 25-man (or 25+DL) automatic eligibility list on 8/31 in order to become a playoff replacement player.

edit to add an example: I believe that means that the Braves could call up Freddy Freeman for the playoffs to replace a hypothetically injured Derek Lee, even if they didn't add him to the major league roster until 9/4 or whatever.

Basically this. Let's say through some sort of shenanigans the Braves got A-Rod on September 29.

He wouldn't be eligible for postseason play because he wasn't in the organization prior to 9/1.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #3592
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Basically this. Let's say through some sort of shenanigans the Braves got A-Rod on September 29.

He wouldn't be eligible for postseason play because he wasn't in the organization prior to 9/1.

But if the Braves (Heaven forbid) signed Barry Bonds to a minor league deal tonight but didn't call him up to the majors, then he could be added to the post-season roster if Derek Lee (or any position player) went the DL just before the playoffs.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #3593
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
6 fucking games out? Kudos to Cincy.. 12-4 after we swept them..

Maybe LaRussa will finally retire?

I'm sure LaRussa and his gang of whiny bitches will try to pick a fight this weekend to get them "fired up" again.

Last night's game guaranteed that the Reds will leave St. Louis with sole possession of the NL Central lead regardless of the series' outcome.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #3594
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Sweet. Zimmerman took out part of the Sun Life Stadium sign last night with a monster HR.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #3595
Ramzavail
College Starter

anybody see the Lorenzo Cain catch? wow.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #3596
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I'm sure LaRussa and his gang of whiny bitches will try to pick a fight this weekend to get them "fired up" again.

Last night's game guaranteed that the Reds will leave St. Louis with sole possession of the NL Central lead regardless of the series' outcome.

I was at Reds-Cubs this past Sunday and that was a fun game. I'll be at Reds-Cards this coming Sunday in St Louis and I expect similar fun

SI

Old 08-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #3597
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Sweet. Zimmerman took out part of the Sun Life Stadium sign last night with a monster HR.

That was an awesome shot.

Where has Dibble been this week? Listening to Ray Knight is like ear rape.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #3598
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
anybody see the Lorenzo Cain catch? wow.

Yes, awesome catch. I'm glad Cain has really come on this year so we are hopefully spared from more Carlos Gomez.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #3599
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

After his thing about Strasburg on XM he has been on a supposedly self-imposed leave of absence.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #3600
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

He got in some trouble over the calling-Strasburg-a-pansy thing so he went to the time out corner

Dibble away from booth after criticizing Strasburg - MLB - Sporting News

SI