Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2024, 05:49 PM   #3551
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
..and this is where we are now, right?

You have to explain why you're commenting on such a boring, familiar, mundane topic like a mass shooting somewhere in America. You need to have a connection to find it something worthy of discussion.

I posted when it happened in #Annapolis a few years ago. Because it was in my own backyard.

Occasionally these happen in such spectacular fashion, or have some awful wrinkle that they make major news, but for the most part... some guy shoots up nine people somewhere and it's no longer major news.

And we're all quiet about ten people shot, but no fatalities, in Columbus, OH.
Old 07-02-2024, 12:24 PM   #3552
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Not a shooting but a mass deathtoll

Deadly Stampede in India

A religious event takes the same turn as the Who concert in cincinnati. They opened one door and the massive overcrowded herd ran.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 07-02-2024 at 12:25 PM.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 05:59 PM   #3553
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The case against Alec Balwin was dismissed with prejudice today. Seems the prosecutors brought in a bag of bullets as evidence that had been withheld from the defense. The judge finally said that was enough. The prosecutor had been playing games throughout the entire attempt to prosecute, and the judge had had enough.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 10:48 PM   #3554
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The case against Alec Balwin was dismissed with prejudice today. Seems the prosecutors brought in a bag of bullets as evidence that had been withheld from the defense. The judge finally said that was enough. The prosecutor had been playing games throughout the entire attempt to prosecute, and the judge had had enough.

I'm so glad as the whole thing was bullshit. It was obvious they were going after him because he played Trump on SNL.

I mean they can sure get money for the family from a civil suit but Baldwin is a good enough egg he will probably take care of their family regardless.

I didn't hear about the bag of bullets. Sheesh
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 01:59 AM   #3555
Edward64
Head Coach

I agree. IMO the armorer bears the majority of blame.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 11:04 AM   #3556
GrantDawg

This one a little closer to home. Reportedly four dead. One of my wives co- workers has two kids in the school. They are OK, but she told her everyone immediately knew who did it.

https://x.com/bluestein/status/18313...s_4oz64cw&s=19

Correction: Her co-workers two kids know kids in that school

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-04-2024 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2024, 11:10 AM   #3557
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Is that Mike Collins' district?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 11:14 AM   #3558
GrantDawg

That sounds right.

Old 09-04-2024, 11:18 AM   #3559
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Well, let's get this out of the way then

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 09-04-2024 at 11:19 AM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 11:57 AM   #3560
BYU 14
Coordinator

Is this Clown actually serving in Congress right now?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 12:28 PM   #3561
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Is this Clown actually serving in Congress right now?

Sorta. He's in Congress, but as he said he's really just serving Trump.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 12:32 PM   #3562
bob
College Starter

CNN is reporting 4 dead and 30 injured
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 01:09 PM   #3563
miked
College Starter

A few people in my feed have already stated this is Biden/Harris fault for not allowing armed guards in school. Apparently democrats applaud armed guards protecting their banks and congresspeople, but ban them from protecting kids. Also, no crime on GT or UGA campuses because they are open carry.
Old 09-04-2024, 01:11 PM   #3564
GrantDawg

This is interesting. A threrapist is responding to people on a local board that knows or has kids at the school. They are saying have them play Tetris as soon as they can. Studies show that playing Teteris (or like games) can help prevent PTSD.

Can playing Tetris help prevent PTSD if you’ve witnessed something traumatic?
Old 09-04-2024, 01:16 PM   #3565
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
A few people in my feed have already stated this is Biden/Harris fault for not allowing armed guards in school. Apparently democrats applaud armed guards protecting their banks and congresspeople, but ban them from protecting kids. Also, no crime on GT or UGA campuses because they are open carry.

Schools have armed guards. They are called school resource officers. My kids school has one employed full time.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 01:23 PM   #3566
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

The delusions are so heavy. The "No crime at UGA" meets "Illegal killed pretty white girl at UGA".
Old 09-04-2024, 01:37 PM   #3567
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Schools have armed guards. They are called school resource officers. My kids school has one employed full time.

And it’s been proved useless.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 01:54 PM   #3568
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Welp. I can no longer say I don't know anyone who was the direct victim of a school shooting. One of my former YL volunteers teaches and coaches there. He was shot in the foot and the hip, shattering his hip bone. He arrived at the hospital alert and awake, and is out of surgery and stable.
Old 09-04-2024, 01:56 PM   #3569
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow Ben glad he is going to be okay
Old 09-04-2024, 01:56 PM   #3570
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jesus. Ben that’s horrible. I can’t fathom the trauma.
Old 09-04-2024, 02:13 PM   #3571
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
wow Ben glad he is going to be okay
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Jesus. Ben that’s horrible. I can’t fathom the trauma.
Unfathomable.

Last I'd heard, he was teaching/coaching in Loganville. I had no idea he was at Apalachee until I saw the post from his daughter today. (From checking LinkedIn, it looks like this was his 2nd year there.)

From another fairly reliable source, (current teacher/coach in Georgia,) I'm hearing two football coaches dead.

Old 09-04-2024, 02:16 PM   #3572
Ben E Lou

Daily Mail is fast. This is the guy I know.
Math teacher named as victim of Georgia high shooting as witnesses describe horror of walking past 'blood and bodies' | Daily Mail Online

Old 09-04-2024, 02:37 PM   #3573
miami_fan
Coordinator

That text message screenshot is heartbreaking.

Oh well nothing we can do but wait for the next one.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 02:43 PM   #3574
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
That text message screenshot is heartbreaking.
I hadn't read the article in its entirety when I posted a bit ago. Was just coming back to say that. Not fun picturing my sophomore sending us that text.
Old 09-04-2024, 03:13 PM   #3575
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Damn. Sorry to hear Ben.

When we had that bank shooting in downtown Louisville about 18 months ago, one of our more connected guys in the community knew several of the people who were shot, including one good friend who made it out alive from the conference room where most of the damage was done.

The "everybody knows someone affected by..." seems to work equally well these days for cancer and mass shootings.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 03:20 PM   #3576
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Welp. I can no longer say I don't know anyone who was the direct victim of a school shooting. One of my former YL volunteers teaches and coaches there. He was shot in the foot and the hip, shattering his hip bone. He arrived at the hospital alert and awake, and is out of surgery and stable.

That's horrible but I'm happy he is alive. One thing that bothers me about these shootings is how little attention is paid to those wounded. A shattered hip and gunshot to the foot is going to be a long recovery and likely life altering.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 03:42 PM   #3577
GrantDawg

They are saying the kid surrendered to the resource officer. Just 14, man.
Old 09-04-2024, 03:55 PM   #3578
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I hadn't read the article in its entirety when I posted a bit ago. Was just coming back to say that. Not fun picturing my sophomore sending us that text.

My sons first day of high school was today. I can't even imagine.
Old 09-04-2024, 03:59 PM   #3579
miami_fan
Coordinator

Two students, two teachers are among the deceased.

The shooter in this case has been named and he will be tried as an adult.

I am forever confused about the factors involved in identifying suspects in these types of cases even moreso as he is a minor. Not saying he should not be identified but more curious as to why in comparison to other cases where I perceive suspect identification to be more delayed.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-04-2024, 04:12 PM   #3580
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They are saying the kid surrendered to the resource officer. Just 14, man.

How the fuck does a 14 year old get easy access to a loaded firearm?
Old 09-04-2024, 04:20 PM   #3581
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I could give you a number of both entirely innocent and entirely nefarious answers to that question.

Depends largely on the kid and what circles he has access to.

edit to add: access to pretty much anything isn't too difficult these days (okay, other than health care and mental health care). As an example, I'm as anti-drug as anybody you're likely to find & haven't had anybody in direct contact in that world in many years and I don't believe I'd have much trouble getting most anything you randomly asked for before the weekend arrives. And it's 521p on Wed as I type that.

(obviously I'm going for an example of "pretty much anything" with that, ease despite at least one full degree of separation. It's a consumer world, if you want something enough, you can generally find it)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-04-2024 at 04:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 04:21 PM   #3582
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Parents need to be held accountable.
Old 09-04-2024, 04:28 PM   #3583
GrantDawg

I owned a hunting rifle and a shot gun when I was 14. That was before the fetishizing of military rifles, so it wouldn't surprise me a bit if this kids parents had bought him an AR-15. Heck, they named him Colt.

Old 09-04-2024, 04:35 PM   #3584
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I knew kids who hunted and were gifted their own guns. But I don't remember them ever having access to them at that age. They were usually locked up in a safe by the parents and only used with their permission. Even if you trust your kid, I wouldn't trust their friends. 14 year olds are pretty dumb.
Old 09-04-2024, 04:38 PM   #3585
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My son is 14 and would have zero clue how to obtain a gun.
Old 09-04-2024, 04:56 PM   #3586
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I knew kids who hunted and were gifted their own guns. But I don't remember them ever having access to them at that age. They were usually locked up in a safe by the parents and only used with their permission. Even if you trust your kid, I wouldn't trust their friends. 14 year olds are pretty dumb.

I'm virtually certain I'd never heard of a "gun safe" until I was in my early 20s.

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I believe that's exponentially more common today. I don't recall our age difference off-hand but that definitely hasn't always been the case.

Remember now, I'm literally so old that probably 15-20 percent of the vehicles in my HS parking lot had gun racks in them, with weapons.
Old 09-04-2024, 05:14 PM   #3587
GrantDawg

Mine too, Jon. Every pickup had a gun rack. I always had access to guns from the time I was 10. They were right in a closet with the ammo beside them.
I live 40 miles from Winder. I have said this on here before. I am in houses all the time with children that have loaded guns sitting beside the windows, hand guns on the side tables of the bedroom and the living room. There are people with gun safes as well, but even then there is generally guns somewhere unsecured in the house.

Old 09-04-2024, 05:19 PM   #3588
bob
College Starter

I graduated high school in 97 and there were trucks with gun racks and weapons in them.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 05:27 PM   #3589
Edward64
Head Coach

Normal to see gun racks in the back windows of pickup trucks in the 80s. Weapons in college dorm rooms.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 05:34 PM   #3590
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

The same way all of us could get access to a loaded firearm if we wanted one.

Buy, steal, borrow from a friend, etc. It may be easier for some than others but if a gun is wanted in the U.S. a gun can and will be provided. Legally or otherwise. I know we all were perfect kids who only knew other perfect kids way back when but I could have definitely copped a loaded firearm when I was in high school in the late 80s/early 90s in the same way I could get a cigarette, weed or a flask of liquor. My parents would have been none the wiser as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Parents need to be held accountable.

Maybe it is just coming with age but I have more sympathy with the parents now than I did before. My youngest son knows how to handle a weapon. The only reason I taught him when I did (Summer 2020 when he was 13) was he had told me about one too many kid he had been around who had access to weapons that I did not think should have access to a baseball glove, much less a firearm. He has not become a huge fan of firearms. He does not have easy access to any weapons and I trust him to not attempt to obtain one legally or illegally and/or to shoot up a school. I don't what I am supposed to do if he gets an AR-15 from someone outside the home and shoots up a school to prove I did not raise him to do that.

Maybe I am being naive but I feel like most parents are not like the folks up in Michigan. If the parents left the weapon unsecured and he took it, or to the extreme they trained him to be an assassin, sure. Outside of that, I'm not sure I immediately blaming a parent for not identifying their seemingly normal child as a future mass murderer.

BTW an "Atta Boy" for the school resource officer for a job well done for being able to engage the armed shooter, not empty their weapons into the shooter but instead taking the shooter into custody unharmed. Well done!
Old 09-04-2024, 05:53 PM   #3591
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Maybe it's a regional thing. I went to college with a ton of hunters from Wisconsin, but I don't remember any of them ever having their rifles just sitting in their pickups. They were into guns a bit, but it wasn't fetishized like it is today. I think almost everyone left their guns at home as they went home on the weekends to hunt in the Fall.

As for high school, it was just inconceivable to have access to it. I'm a bit younger than some here but I don't think I ever came close to being near a gun. Huge safes in the garage or basement were popular and I don't think there was ever a chance we could break into it. It was a nice suburb though so there wasn't concern over crime or anything. School shootings weren't really a thing yet and kids were far more invested in cars/girls/sports/clothes.
Old 09-04-2024, 06:05 PM   #3592
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I graduated HS in 1993 in Jersey and never once saw anyone with a gun anywhere. Ever.
Old 09-04-2024, 06:09 PM   #3593
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Maybe it is just coming with age but I have more sympathy with the parents now than I did before. My youngest son knows how to handle a weapon. The only reason I taught him when I did (Summer 2020 when he was 13) was he had told me about one too many kid he had been around who had access to weapons that I did not think should have access to a baseball glove, much less a firearm. He has not become a huge fan of firearms. He does not have easy access to any weapons and I trust him to not attempt to obtain one legally or illegally and/or to shoot up a school. I don't what I am supposed to do if he gets an AR-15 from someone outside the home and shoots up a school to prove I did not raise him to do that.

Maybe I am being naive but I feel like most parents are not like the folks up in Michigan. If the parents left the weapon unsecured and he took it, or to the extreme they trained him to be an assassin, sure. Outside of that, I'm not sure I immediately blaming a parent for not identifying their seemingly normal child as a future mass murderer.

I have less sympathy, FAR less. It isn't about identifying your kid as a mass shooter, it is about letting a 14 year old kid gain access to a weapon capable of killing 4 people and injuring 30 more, and could have been worse if not for a school resource officer who had the balls 400 cops in Uvalde did not.

If a kid comes to my house, drinks a bottle of vodka, and kills 3 classmates driving home drunk guess who is going to jail? Me. Hell, I was at a labor day BBQ one street over sunday and my daughter came and told me the 13 year old whos parents party it was and his friends were in my pool. Since we were at the party no one was at my house. If one of those kids drowns guess who is fucked? I am.

With the exhausting number of shooting we have had why can't we hold people similarly accountable?
Old 09-04-2024, 06:33 PM   #3594
GrantDawg

This kid lived a mile from my sister.

Old 09-04-2024, 07:09 PM   #3595
GrantDawg

https://x.com/JustinGrayWSB/status/1...mKoIiHIjw&s=19

Old 09-04-2024, 07:27 PM   #3596
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mine too, Jon. Every pickup had a gun rack. I always had access to guns from the time I was 10. They were right in a closet with the ammo beside them.

And yet you didn't shoot anybody. And odds are, neither did anybody you know.

I saw what I figure was an average share of HS fights, never once saw a gun put into play.

Hell, I was probably around 20 before I saw one introduced into an altercation, and that was to shut down something before it escalated into something else. And that wasn't anywhere near my rural upbringing, that was at Aker's Mill shopping center (younger folks would know that as basically near enough where the Braves current stadium sits). And it was a guy we'll just call Steve Surbanite. (til that moment I never had a clue he kept significant firepower handy ... and I do mean significant)
Old 09-04-2024, 07:36 PM   #3597
GrantDawg

We had a kid bring a gun into middle school to show it off. In high school, we had a kid that got caught with a hand gun that threatened to kill another student The year after I graduated, a kid brought a shotgun onto the school and was planning to shoot into the senior class during a pep rally.
Luckily, I didn't know anyone shot, but this was also before AR-15s were common.

Old 09-04-2024, 07:59 PM   #3598
GrantDawg

Of course, that is not to mention the kid I went to church with that was accidently shot by his best friend while hunting. I actually knew two kids killed by guns growing up. The other was shot while playing a prank.
It was when a friend's son killed his other son in a hunting accident when I gave up hunting all together.

Old 09-04-2024, 08:46 PM   #3599
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

He did warn everyone.

Old 09-04-2024, 09:29 PM   #3600
cuervo72
Head Coach

The only gun I ever saw was on the top shelf of my Dad’s closet. Not even sure if it was a real gun as opposed to a pellet gun or something. Didn’t think to touch it.

Now, the Playboys that were up there…those interested me greatly.

(Never encountered drugs either. My house was dry - father joined AA when I was three - and didn’t encounter booze at a party until graduation. Didn’t hang around any non-family who smoked until I was in college, and that was not AT college.)