Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #3651
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
While, not a movie I've seen, I didn't think this required its own thread. So...

They are fiming the (totally unnecessary) re-make of "Red Dawn" in Detroit. Between the tax credits available to filmmakers and the fact that Detroit already looks like a city that has been invaded by a hostile force, it's a good choice.

A large part of whatever they are filming is going on about a block from where I work. Over the last three days, there have been a number of sporadic explosions and sounds of small arms fire that can be heard (and sometimes felt) from my office. They also have made up one of the buildings across the way to look like the occupying force's (the Chinese) local police station.

I think I will head over and take a closer look during lunch.

Turns out...it's not a movie. The Chinese have invaded Detroit!

Never mind the pesky why would they WANT Detroit matter. Wolverines!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:47 AM   #3652
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Paranormal Activity-- (9/10) Scared the piss out of me, of course. Definitely best to catch this in a theater with a packed house.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #3653
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wrong Turn 3 (2/10)

Was bored, and gave it a whirl. Stayed bored the entire time. At least some of the deaths were humorous.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #3654
KWhit
Coordinator

Rachel Getting Married - 4/10

I only give this a 4 because Anne Hathaway was really good in it. But the movie itself was horrible. It was so freaking SLOW. I told Lisa that it was like the filmmaker made a movie while accidentally taping over someone's actual wedding video and kept hitting fast forward after every scene.

Seriously. There was one part where about 20 people got up and gave toasts - one after the other. And it showed all of them, before getting to Anne Hathaway's cliche "bad toast." And then at the reception, they showed maybe 10 minutes of nothing but people dancing. Holy christ, this movie needed an editor BADLY.

After thinking about it some more, I've changed my mind:

3/10
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #3655
sabotai
General Manager

Quarantine - 6/10

Decent single-POV (ala Cloverfield) zombie movie, except they're not zombies, there's another explanation....but they're pretty much zombies. Very aggressive zombies. Worth watching, but not owning.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #3656
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Paranormal Activity - 5.5/10

It was ok. The scary parts were indeed scary but there weren't many of 'em. I did leave the movie theater pretty freaked out though. Antmeister wasn't shaken one bit so I thought it was just me, but it seems a lot of you were pretty scared too.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #3657
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

The Damned United: 9/10

In the middle of watching this now, but I'm LOVING this movie so far. I haven't heard of it before today, but for anyone who remotely likes soccer, you'll likely love it.

The Damned United - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: Just finished. Amazing.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 10-24-2009 at 11:34 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #3658
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Maniac (9/10)

I have seen this movie countless times but it has been a while since I last watched it, so last night I popped it in and just was amazed at how well it holds up. It's probably the most underrated slasher/splatter movie ever, and features a lot of amazing and relatively realistic looking death scenes for a movie from 1980.

If you have not seen it, track a copy down and get busy.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #3659
Bad-example
College Starter

Death Sentence - 6.5/10

A pretty standard vigilante-type story in the Death Wish tradition. Kevin Bacon was fine as the executive that sees his son butchered in a gang initiation. John Goodman was pretty good in a minor role. A perfectly watchable movie if you don't expect too much (there are a few eye-rolling moments but not too bad). Currently airing on premium cable.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:08 PM   #3660
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
While, not a movie I've seen, I didn't think this required its own thread. So...

They are fiming the (totally unnecessary) re-make of "Red Dawn" in Detroit. Between the tax credits available to filmmakers and the fact that Detroit already looks like a city that has been invaded by a hostile force, it's a good choice.

A large part of whatever they are filming is going on about a block from where I work. Over the last three days, there have been a number of sporadic explosions and sounds of small arms fire that can be heard (and sometimes felt) from my office. They also have made up one of the buildings across the way to look like the occupying force's (the Chinese) local police station

how can you be sure the sporadic explosions and small arms fire are from filming? Im just sayin
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #3661
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Zombieland - 6.5/10

It was entertaining and the cameo was great. But I wouldn't go out of my way to watch again.

Dead Snow - 8/10

Norwegian movie about Nazi Zombies. Very funny and definitely has the watch-ability factor.. I actually preferred it to Zombieland.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 11-01-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #3662
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Drag Me to Hell 7/10

If you liked Evil Dead/Army of Darkness, you'll like this. Had some weak parts, but IMO the strong parts way outweighed them. The parking lot and graveyard scenes were worth the price of admission.

Black Sheep 8/10

Just for clarification, this is the killer zombie sheep "Black Sheep." As a piece of film making, it was dreck, but entertainment wise it was pure gold. You need to watch this with a group of people. Several "Ew" and laugh out loud moments.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #3663
KWhit
Coordinator

I just watched Drag Me To Hell also. I hated it.

If you're into bodily fluids being forced down someone else's throat, this movie was for you (as there were about 6 different scenes where that happened). It's not like it really grossed me out or anything, but man! How about a little variety?!

And the ending was horribly obvious and I could see it coming about 20 miles away.

Drag Me to Hell - 3/10
Old 11-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #3664
KWhit
Coordinator

The Exorcist 6/10

This used to be my favorite horror movie, and I've seen it a couple of times before. It definitely still has some great scenes and a lot of scares, but I found it incredibly slow in the beginning this time around. I didn't remember it being that way before. I swear the movie went for about an hour before anything really happened. I loved the rest off it, but it started very slowly.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #3665
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Blazing Saddles - 8.5/10

I didn't know what to expect and at first I didn't know if I should laugh, or be offended. There was a scene in the movie that was so wrong but I kept rewinding a few times it was so ridiculous and I couldn't stop laughing.

I'm gonna watch it again to fully appreciate the ridiculousness of it. "Excuse me while I whip this out".. hahaha.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 11-05-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #3666
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Where the white women at?
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #3667
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Where the white women at?

Barely a week goes by that either me or one of my friends uses that line.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #3668
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's the greatest line ever .
Old 11-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #3669
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Blazing Saddles - 8.5/10

I didn't know what to expect and at first I didn't know if I should laugh, or be offended. There was a scene in the movie that was so wrong but I kept rewinding a few times it was so ridiculous and I couldn't stop laughing.

I'm gonna watch it again to fully appreciate the ridiculousness of it. "Excuse me while I whip this out".. hahaha.

Don't worry, it was partly written by a black guy so there is no need to get offended.

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 11-05-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #3670
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Finally got around to Netflixing Watchmen. My wife and I watched the first 40 minutes of it and were like WTF? Neither of us are sci-fi fans at all but like X-Men, etc.. We just didn't get it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:58 AM   #3671
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Barely a week goes by that either me or one of my friends uses that line.

Same here. It's a very useful phrase. Can be used in just about any situation.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #3672
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Finally got around to Netflixing Watchmen. My wife and I watched the first 40 minutes of it and were like WTF? Neither of us are sci-fi fans at all but like X-Men, etc.. We just didn't get it.
You guys didn't miss anything, the movie was pretty bad.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #3673
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

The Fourth Kind: 2/10At least somewhat interesting for the first half of the movie. They start getting into some Ancient Astronaut Theory stuff which I always find interesting. Plus, they go on and on about how it's a true story and the footage is real, so that part was pretty cool.

Then, it completely nose dives and turns into one of the absolute worst movies ever. Everything that kept you thinking it was real goes out the window. You get home and realize that none of this ever happened in real life. The main character wasn't a real person. It's complete and total bullshit.

Edit: If you know nothing about the movie, my review probably doesn't make sense.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 11-07-2009 at 10:51 AM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #3674
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

You had to have read the graphic novel to get it. It's actually a great read.

The movie was pretty good taking all that into account.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #3675
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The Hammer - 8/10
I had very low expectations for this movie, given that it was written by and starred Adam Corolla. It was surprisingly good. It had some great laugh-out-loud moments and though there was one massive plot hole, it was really entertaining. Gotta say, never thought I'd really enjoy a movie about boxing (well, Million Dollar Baby is an exception, too...).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #3676
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

The Mist - 7/10

Based on a book by Stephen King, story about a creature lurking in a mist who kills anyone it finds. A group of people get stuck in a grocery store and do everything they can to survive.

Has the usual "What the hell are they doing" scenes but there were some scenes that really grabbed me. So much that once the movie was over I felt like my brain needed some rinsing.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #3677
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

High Tension - 10/10

This is a combination horror / thriller movie. Not just blood and gore, but lots of suspense with a cool twist. It is a French movie, but the version I watched is English language. Very well done. It got some criticism the story was largely copied from a Dean Koontz book. Not sure if it was a copy or not, the movie is great. If you like the genre, this is an awesome flick.

The premise is two girls that are college friends go to one of the girls homes during a school break. While at the home, a serial killer murders the girls family and takes the girl away in his van. The friend hides during the slaying and stowes away in the truck as she tries to free the abducted girl.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #3678
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

2012 - 8.5/10

Completely predictable and crazy ass action scenes, but still an awesome ride. Some people were crying, some people were jerking in their seat from the action, I noticed a person laughing at inappropriate times. Yeah, I was one of the people who shed a few tears. This is a movie to be enjoyed at the movie theater because of the incredible action sequences.

Edit - oh yeah, I had no idea Woody Harrelson was in it! Made it that much more enjoyable.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 11-13-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #3679
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Surviving the Game

Cheese Grade 9/10
This movie meets my Criteria of "So cheesy it is good".
Ice T plays a homeless man recruited to be a "Survival Guide". Once he is out to the hunting camp, though, he realizes he is the hunted.

Actors in this flick are remarkably known. You have the guy from Blade Runner. Roc. The head doctor from scrubs. And best of all. F. Murray Abraham.

Anyways this has all the cliches you know you wanna see. Only negative is that there is no nudity.
Plus it is streaming on Netflix.

Real grade is like 4/10ish.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #3680
JS19
College Prospect

Men Who Stare At Goats. It was "meh". Wouldn't recommend it, but it's something to watch if you have nothing else to do. Not gonna lie, had a pretty crazy night out the night before, so I was beat and extremely tired while watching it, so maybe that had something to do with it. There was this one part though that I found real interesting and wonder if there's any truth to it. There is a scene and they are in Vietnam, a sniper just took a few guys out and reveals himself in the field. At first, nobody is shooting, then they start firing on him, but they are all missing high. In his narrative voice, Jeff Bridges says something along the lines of, "85% of soldiers will intentionally miss their targets because they are afraid of killing another human". The scene was exaggerated and meant to be funny, but that line really stuck with me.

EDIT: Just did a quick search, found this (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=536561) in case anyone was interested.

Last edited by JS19 : 11-13-2009 at 11:45 PM.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #3681
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

I'm 10 minutes into Crash. I haven't seen it in a long time. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this movie is about racism.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #3682
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
I'm 10 minutes into Crash. I haven't seen it in a long time. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this movie is about racism.

Jesus. I liked Crash when I saw it in theatres, but now I think about liking it and I cringe.

Oof..Whoever told me (on this board, and in the flesh) that this movie sucked was right. Good call. It was a complete lack of judgement on my part.

It's cloying, heavy-handed, and seems like a couple writers got together and jerked each other off when they finished this, thinking it was amazing. The "Academy" fell for it, and I fell for it at the time. Then I actually developed standards for movies, rather than eating whatever bullshit Hollywood fed me. It was a real epiphany.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #3683
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Jesus. I liked Crash when I saw it in theatres, but now I think about liking it and I cringe.

Oof..Whoever told me (on this board, and in the flesh) that this movie sucked was right. Good call. It was a complete lack of judgement on my part.

It's cloying, heavy-handed, and seems like a couple writers got together and jerked each other off when they finished this, thinking it was amazing. The "Academy" fell for it, and I fell for it at the time. Then I actually developed standards for movies, rather than eating whatever bullshit Hollywood fed me. It was a real epiphany.

When I finally saw this movie, I couldn't believe it had won best picture. However, the other nominees were: Brokeback Mountain, Good Night and Good Luck, Munch, and Capote.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #3684
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

I'm in the exact same boat. Remember liking it when I first saw it, but now...not so much. It's too bad because there are some really great individual scenes in that movie, but it's so over the top with the racism. We get it. Okay? WE GET IT.

It must be a Paul Haggis thing. I remember liking In The Valley of Elah, which he also wrote/directed...until the last scene. Then it was pure facepalm.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #3685
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Crash was utter garbage. I think Imran was the one who led the "this movie sucks charge"
Old 11-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #3686
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
2012 - 8.5/10

Completely predictable and crazy ass action scenes, but still an awesome ride. Some people were crying, some people were jerking in their seat from the action, I noticed a person laughing at inappropriate times. Yeah, I was one of the people who shed a few tears. This is a movie to be enjoyed at the movie theater because of the incredible action sequences.

Edit - oh yeah, I had no idea Woody Harrelson was in it! Made it that much more enjoyable.

Pretty much in the same boat. I would give it an 8.

One of those visual spectacles sorta things. You do want to see this in the theater. Plotting, dialogue, odd "no way that could happen" moments aside, it's pretty much a thrill ride, and that's all it promised to be really.

If you can't turn your brain off, I guess you wouldn't want to see it. And it is overly long, which is quite the while to keep the adrenaline going.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #3687
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
When I finally saw this movie, I couldn't believe it had won best picture. However, the other nominees were: Brokeback Mountain, Good Night and Good Luck, Munch, and Capote.

Good Night and Good Luck was really good.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #3688
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
You had to have read the graphic novel to get it. It's actually a great read.

The movie was pretty good taking all that into account.

I read the graphic novel and yet I still didn't get "it." It was long and felt it. It was as good of an adaptation as you'll about see, but there are just far more entertaining comic book movies.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #3689
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

I didn't care for Capote, but the other three movies were infinitely better than Crash.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #3690
rowech
Pro Starter

I should clarify...I liked Good Night and Good Luck and Munich. (How important was the i that I forgot in my original post?) Thought they were both better. What I meant was that it just wasn't a great year for a standout movie.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #3691
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

i like thinking munch is the porn version of munich.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #3692
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I didn't care for Capote, but the other three movies were infinitely better than Crash.

I tried to watch Capote. I just don't do the Flamboyant accent thing. Big fan of Phillip Seymour Hoffman too.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #3693
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Crash was utter garbage. I think Imran was the one who led the "this movie sucks charge"

I thought it was garbage too. All you have to do is watch the first 10 minutes since the whole movie is the same 2 scenes with the same two character archetypes on repeat.

I thought Good Night and Good Luck was the best of the movies nominated, and that Walk The Line should have been nominated for (and then should have won) Best Picture.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #3694
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hustle and Flow should have won the year Crash did. Terrence Howard was amazing.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #3695
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i like thinking munch is the porn version of munich.

Either that are it's a Disney movie about a fat kid.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #3696
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Either that are it's a Disney movie about a fat kid.

Or the long awaited prequel life story of John Munch, SVU detective.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-14-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Got the character's name wrong, but, hey, his name should be Harvey
Old 11-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #3697
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought Good Night and Good Luck and Brokeback Mountain were both really good.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #3698
Groundhog
Coordinator

Did nothing but watch DVDs all day sunday.

Wall-E - 9/10
Didn't really know what it was about but had heard the praises, so I expected good things, and wasn't dissapointed. Some amazing animation, and a solid story line. Really dug the end credits animation too.

Hell Boy 2 - 7.5/10
Liked it a heck of a lot more than the first one. Only watched it because it had del Toro directing it, but glad I did. The other people I watched it with didn't enjoy it much, so maybe it was more del Toro's style that kept me interested rather than the movie itself.

Land of the Lost - 7
This movie got slammed by everyone, but I got exactly what I was expecting - a big, dumb, funny Will Ferrell movie. I LOL'ed a number of times, but for some reason completely lost it during the mosquito scene.

Bruno - 7
Man. Some cringe worthy scenes, especially the finale. The hit/miss ratio was worse than Borat though.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #3699
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Netflix has resulted in me watching all sorts of movie I missed before. I'm not including any of the documentaries I've watched, just the movies.

Traitor: Don Cheadle does good work, but I found the whole thing a bit too unbelievable and slogged through it. What they got right, I liked. (5/10)

I'm Through With White Girls: It's an indie flick that was originally called something else, but they gave it a provocative title to think it'd help it sell. It's a pretty basic indie romantic comedy with a guy who thinks his dating choices are the problem, not himself. It's kitsch, but cute enough to make it worthwhile and a pretty accessible flick. (6/10)

Medicine for Melancholy: A beautifully filmed, but slow moving film about a one night stand. The filmmaker, Barry Jenkins, called it his 'love letter to San Francisco', so it's full of imagery of that city. I think all of that was a bit lost on me, because it's one of the few major U.S. cities I haven't
visited yet, but...save for that, I thought the story was a bit too politically overt and obscured whatever was going on between the characters. So I loved the cinematography, the soundtrack is kickass, but..the story was a bit plodding and yet, it works okay. (7/10)

Rachel Getting Married: Anne Hathaway is amazing. And the lead singer from TV On The Radio is in it, too. Overall, it's well acted but as others have said before it's a complete mess otherwise and so slow that I had to stop watching it. (4/10)

Serenity: I remember all of the hype about it, but because I don't watch movies "like that" I didn't really ever figure out what it was about. But I watched it today and even though I'd never seen the TV series, I found it generally entertaining. I think it'd have been better for someone who knew what they were getting into and it was a movie I almost would've had to watch again to figure out precisely what the storyline was, but...it was generally well done and the heaps of praise seem fairly well founded to me. (8/10)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-15-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #3700
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Serenity: I remember all of the hype about it, but because I don't watch movies "like that" I didn't really ever figure out what it was about. But I watched it today and even though I'd never seen the TV series, I found it generally entertaining. I think it'd have been better for someone who knew what they were getting into and it was a movie I almost would've had to watch again to figure out precisely what the storyline was, but...it was generally well done and the heaps of praise seem fairly well founded to me. (8/10)

Put the TV series on your que. It's even better.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote