Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #3651
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

"He's not going to miss from there!!!"

Technically he didn't but it that is another inch to the right it's not a goal.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #3652
kingfc22
Head Coach

Wow. Three posts hit in that sequence.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #3653
stevew
Hall Of Famer

if I had to watch paraguay for another 90 minutes I'd rather blow my head off. Thank Villa.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #3654
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Holy shit Spain nearly gave it away. What a keeper Casillas is.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #3655
stevew
Hall Of Famer

fuck....that had to hurt(ramos)
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #3656
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

And thus ends the hopes for the streaker.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #3657
ace1914
High School Varsity

This was a very poor officiated match. I'm studying and every time look up, some fuckin' Spaniard is rolling on the ground and the ref is falling for this crap. I really hope he doesn't ref the final. I'd like the guy from the Ghana/Uruguay game in there.
ace1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #3658
MikeVic
Head Coach

So it's kind of a different story regarding South American and European teams now, eh?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #3659
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1914 View Post
This was a very poor officiated match. I'm studying and every time look up, some fuckin' Spaniard is rolling on the ground and the ref is falling for this crap. I really hope he doesn't ref the final. I'd like the guy from the Ghana/Uruguay game in there.

So you're not paying attention to the game but you think Spain is diving? I thought the ref was alright.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #3660
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Classy of the Spanish guys to console Cardozo - poor guy.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #3661
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So you're not paying attention to the game but you think Spain is diving? I thought the ref was alright.
If Spain is playing, they are diving.

Fun match. Really looking forward to the semis.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #3662
ace1914
High School Varsity

Yes. Anytime I look up and every player on the squad has some overly theatrical fall. Yea, that's pretty much diving in a nutshell.

Edit: I just went to FiFa.com to check and hmm 24 fouls-PAR vs. 11 fouls-ESP.

Yea...they were diving.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #3663
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I hope Germany kicks the crap out of Spain.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #3664
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I hope Germany kicks the crap out of Spain.

Cosign. Germany played a fun, fair game and smashed Messi and Co. They deserve to advance.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #3665
Icy
Pro Starter

The ref almost made us to lose this game in 5 minutes:

- The penalty against Spain, the defender was the last man, so it must have been a red card, it's the rule. Instead he showed him a yellow.

- Penalty scored, and the ref says it needs to be shot again because an Spanish player was an inch inside?

- Penalty missed, then Fabregas runs towards the ball the the goalkeeper hits him with both arms on his legs, a CLEAR PENALTY and again a RED CARD for the Goalkeeper, instead the ref didn't call anything.

At that point, i thought we would be out of the semi exactly like we did vs Italy in USA's world cup, just because the ref.

Then in the goal play, first Pedrito hits the post, then Villa hits it again and i was WTFFFFFF! but finally it ended inside. Justice was made.

And ace1914, did you really see lots of Spanish players diving?? the only one diving at the end of the game was Ramos and it was after a hard kick on his face with blood coming out, so if you really think he was faking it... agree with you that the ref was horrible, but not because helping Spain.

Anyway the game is over, and one of the games of the decade awards, Spain vs Germany in the semi-finals, repeating the final of the Eurocup won by Spain 2 years ago, hope will end that way, but i must admit that Spain plays better vs good teams that try to attack (leaving holes open) than vs all the ones who just create a defensive wall and refuse to play soccer.

Forgot to say, if there is a soccer GOD, Casillas must be his son, he has barely appeared in the WC so far as we are attacking most of the time, but today he was there when we needed him as always.

Last edited by Icy : 07-03-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #3666
RainMaker
General Manager

Spain actually got the short end of the stick today from the officials. The missed red card and they missed a penalty after the missed penalty kick.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #3668
Icy
Pro Starter

Dola, for those doubting if any about the penalty not called after Xavi missed the second attempt:

Old 07-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #3669
RainMaker
General Manager

The one thing I like about Germany is they never miss good scoring chances. Seems like everyone converts them at a real low rate and they just pound any team that gives them an inch.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #3670
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
The ref almost made us to lose this game in 5 minutes:

- The penalty against Spain, the defender was the last man, so it must have been a red card, it's the rule. Instead he showed him a yellow.

- Penalty scored, and the ref says it needs to be shot again because an Spanish player was an inch inside?

- Penalty missed, then Fabregas runs towards the ball the the goalkeeper hits him with both arms on his legs, a CLEAR PENALTY and again a RED CARD for the Goalkeeper, instead the ref didn't call anything.

At that point, i thought we would be out of the semi exactly like we did vs Italy in USA's world cup, just because the ref.

Then in the goal play, first Pedrito hits the post, then Villa hits it again and i was WTFFFFFF! but finally it ended inside. Justice was made.

And ace1914, did you really see lots of Spanish players diving?? the only one diving at the end of the game was Ramos and it was after a hard kick on his face with blood coming out, so if you really think he was faking it... agree with you that the ref was horrible, but not because helping Spain.

Anyway the game is over, and one of the games of the decade awards, Spain vs Germany in the semi-finals, repeating the final of the Eurocup won by Spain 2 years ago, hope will end that way, but i must admit that Spain plays better vs good teams that try to attack (leaving holes open) than vs all the ones who just create a defensive wall and refuse to play soccer.

Well you tend to see what you want. The penalty was trash in the first place as Villa waited to feel any slight contact and went down like his fuckin' disc slipped.

Ok there was a unintentional, yet legit kick in the head, and therefore, they weren't diving during the first 89'? I don't see the logic. You are a fan, so I do understand that rose-tinted glasses come with the territory. They were diving a lot, but that's their game. I promise if they hit a good countering team (insert Germany), and a decent ref, they will get hammered.

Last edited by ace1914 : 07-03-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #3671
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Dola, for those doubting if any about the penalty not called after Xavi missed the second attempt:

The risk you run when you dive all the time is that the official will think you are faking during legitimate penalties.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #3672
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Spain actually got the short end of the stick today from the officials. The missed red card and they missed a penalty after the missed penalty kick.

24 calls to 11. There's no short end of the stick there.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #3673
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Really? You're ignoring the other 5 guys in the area on purpose or you can't see straight with your head up Iniesta's ass?

I'll try to find a nice pic for you to shut up your mouth, and btw when did i insult you or anybody else? you are showing your class and soccer knowledge talking about heads into asses, are you sure you weren't watching a gay pron movie instead?

Old 07-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #3674
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
24 calls to 11. There's no short end of the stick there.

Maybe because one team was defending while the other was attacking most of the game? you can't make fouls when you are attacking.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #3675
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Maybe because one team was defending while the other was attacking most of the game? you can't make fouls when you are attacking.

You can when you are diving.

Even still, there's no short end of the stick when you double your opponents' foul total.

Last edited by ace1914 : 07-03-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #3676
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well you tend to see what you want. The penalty was trash in the first place as Villa waited to feel any slight contact and went down like his fuckin' disc slipped.

Ok there was a unintentional, yet legit kick in the head, and therefore, they weren't diving during the first 89'? I don't see the logic. You are a fan, so I do understand that rose-tinted glasses come with the territory. They were diving a lot, but that's their game. I promise if they hit a good countering team (insert Germany), and a decent ref, they will get hammered.

Are you fucking nuts? Your glasses seem as rose-tinted as Icy's - there was very little diving, and Paraguay should have had a red-card on that penalty - last man and what not. I forget if you're a Dutch or German fan, but its ridiculous.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #3677
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Are you fucking nuts? Your glasses seem as rose-tinted as Icy's - there was very little diving, and Paraguay should have had a red-card on that penalty - last man and what not. I forget if you're a Dutch or German fan, but its ridiculous.

Uhh..no I am an American fan. I just prefer Germany's style of play. I have no problem admitting my bias. I still believe that Spain dove the entire match.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #3678
oykib
College Starter

Everything Icy said except for the Fabregas should-have-been penalty being a red card was spot on (the keeper wasn't the last man in that situation, as there were a few defenders on the line-- also Fabregas' touch took the ball away from goal before the keeper fouled him).
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #3679
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Are you fucking nuts? Your glasses seem as rose-tinted as Icy's - there was very little diving, and Paraguay should have had a red-card on that penalty - last man and what not.

QFT.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #3680
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
Everything Icy said except for the Fabregas should-have-been penalty being a red card was spot on (the keeper wasn't the last man in that situation, as there were a few defenders on the line-- also Fabregas' touch took the ball away from goal before the keeper fouled him).

Well, the Spanish players were more like several yards in front of where they should have been when Xabi Alonso's first PK was struck. It was clearly the right call to have it be retaken.

But other than that and what you said, Icy is pretty much right.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #3681
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Only thing is Icy sure can't complain about the retake on the PK after the Spanish players were more than just over the line on the Paraguay PK. Hell, they practically could have tried to tackle the taker before he shot, they were almost that close.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #3682
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Well, with Spain moving on the jQuery book I was looking at is 66% off. Link It was the only one I was interested in anyway.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #3683
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Only thing is Icy sure can't complain about the retake on the PK after the Spanish players were more than just over the line on the Paraguay PK. Hell, they practically could have tried to tackle the taker before he shot, they were almost that close.

Nonsense. Over the line, yes, but not by all that much.

Only angle I could find of the Paraguay PK preceding this showed no one encroaching.

Last edited by MJ4H : 07-03-2010 at 05:07 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #3684
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So I saw some debate about the "sportsmanship" of the handball in the Uruguay-Ghana match.

I'm wondering how this is different than a Cornerback who is beaten downfield by a Wide Receiver, and reaches out to commit interference and prevent the TD?

The way I see it, if the guy is willing to sit out a full game for a 15-20% chance that the handball will save the game for his team, then so be it. I don't see what the controversy is all about.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #3685
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
So I saw some debate about the "sportsmanship" of the handball in the Uruguay-Ghana match.

I'm wondering how this is different than a Cornerback who is beaten downfield by a Wide Receiver, and reaches out to commit interference and prevent the TD?

The way I see it, if the guy is willing to sit out a full game for a 15-20% chance that the handball will save the game for his team, then so be it. I don't see what the controversy is all about.

agreed. He made a great play, and sacrificed himself for his team.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #3686
MJ4H
Coordinator

Obviously handball was the right play.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #3687
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:

I think a better analogy is instead of getting the points, you have to shoot free throws after a goaltending call.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #3688
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I think a better analogy is instead of getting the points, you have to shoot free throws after a goaltending call.

Well, and get to play a man-up the rest of the game?
Old 07-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #3689
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah, for example, Gasol isn't going to goaltend if it means he's out for the next game and the Lakers will only be able to play 4 men the rest of the current game.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #3690
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Edit: I just went to FiFa.com to check and hmm 24 fouls-PAR vs. 11 fouls-ESP.

Yea...they were diving.
That's one horrible way to use stats to prove a point. I'm not going to defend the Spanish players, but calling them divers because they get fouled on is absurd.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #3691
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
That's one horrible way to use stats to prove a point. I'm not going to defend the Spanish players, but calling them divers because they get fouled on is absurd.

Its all subjective right? One man's dive is another man's foul....
Old 07-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #3692
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yeah, for example, Gasol isn't going to goaltend if it means he's out for the next game and the Lakers will only be able to play 4 men the rest of the current game.

He will on the last play of the game and the ball is destined to go into the net.

Its the rules of the game. However, I do not have to agree with it.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #3693
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

Only angle I could find of the Paraguay PK preceding this showed no one encroaching.

I didn't say they were over the line a lot on the Spanish PK (though they were over the line and the rule doesn't state that "a little is okay"), they were on the Paraguay PK... they practically could have tapped him on the shoulder when he kicked it.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #3694
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I didn't say they were over the line a lot on the Spanish PK (though they were over the line and the rule doesn't state that "a little is okay"), they were on the Paraguay PK... they practically could have tapped him on the shoulder when he kicked it.

Only replay I saw showed nothing like this. Have any pictures?

And I'm aware that a little is not okay. I agree this should be called. I was showing that it was just a little, and not tapping on the kicker's shoulder. However, again, if you meant the Paraguay penalty, I'll need to see an angle other than the only one I can find, which shows absolutely no one encroaching.

Last edited by MJ4H : 07-03-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #3695
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

When you consider that you're not supposed to be over the arc line, then you might reconsider that it was 'only just' encroachment. Maybe by 2-3 yards?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #3696
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Here is the Paraguay PK. Two Spanish players clearly over the line (by more than just a couple inches) and the keeper already having moved off the line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PK.jpg (36.3 KB, 83 views)
Old 07-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #3697
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Maybe the touch them on the shoulder line was a bit much but that is easily over the line.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #3698
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Only replay I saw showed nothing like this. Have any pictures?

And I'm aware that a little is not okay. I agree this should be called. I was showing that it was just a little, and not tapping on the kicker's shoulder. However, again, if you meant the Paraguay penalty, I'll need to see an angle other than the only one I can find, which shows absolutely no one encroaching.

On the Paraguay penaly, it weas the Spanish encroaching, and the keeper came off his line. That too should have been retaken, without question (Major edit here! - only, if the Paraguayan had missed)

Last edited by AlexB : 07-03-2010 at 07:20 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #3699
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
He will on the last play of the game and the ball is destined to go into the net.

Its the rules of the game. However, I do not have to agree with it.

Well that's fine, you're arguing the rule. I'm talking about the sportsmanship angle. I see nothing wrong with what the guy did. He took a major risk and it paid off.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #3700
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I was able to win the group stage of the 2010 World Cup with USA. Other teams in my group? Spain, Brazil, and Australia.

I had the lead over Chile 4-1 in the 80th minute in the first match after group play. I fucking just lost 5-4 in ET. Im going to go smoke a pack of cigs.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote