Old 07-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #3701
BYU 14
Coordinator

Great song
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:50 PM   #3702
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Finally watched The Last Dance off my DVR (yeah, yeah - I know, that was so 2020). It was quite good. I like how they wove the threads with each of the first few eps about one of the major charcters: MJ, Pippen, Rodman, Jackson. They wove in each of the previous titles, too, though I don't quite get why they did the first win over Utah in the ECF Indiana episode, except that maybe they figured there wasn't enough time to cover it in the final episode and work in denouement. It was worth watching for me.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:08 AM   #3703
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Has anyone seen the Gladbeck hostage crisis documentary on Netflix? For whatever reason, I've never heard of it. The whole ordeal lasted 54 hours and started on my 17th birthday, so you'd think I would have some awareness of it at that age.

Anyway, the documentary is entirely made up of video, photos and audio as the events unfolded. No interviews, no commentary, nothing. At the end, they provide a few subsequent details as far as the hostage takers and resulting investigations into the police's bungling of the entire thing.

It's really unbelievable to watch the police repeatedly screw up the situation with poor decisions and inaction. In 1988, we basically had the equivalent of what Twitter might have looked like because the cops let anyone and everyone have access to the hostage takers. They were repeatedly interviewed by tons of press during the whole thing, and the cops let press and onlookers control nearly every crime scene these guys drove to. It would have been comical if not for the fact that 2 hostages and a cop died. The press, given so much leeway, went overboard with the access. At times, the whole thing played out more like a rock band tour than a hostage situation.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-13-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:22 PM   #3704
Edward64
Head Coach

Netflix Resident Evil series out today!

I didn't see this one coming and a total welcome surprise. Something to do this weekend while playing Solasta.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #3705
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Has anyone seen the Gladbeck hostage crisis documentary on Netflix? For whatever reason, I've never heard of it. The whole ordeal lasted 54 hours and started on my 17th birthday, so you'd think I would have some awareness of it at that age.

Anyway, the documentary is entirely made up of video, photos and audio as the events unfolded. No interviews, no commentary, nothing. At the end, they provide a few subsequent details as far as the hostage takers and resulting investigations into the police's bungling of the entire thing.

It's really unbelievable to watch the police repeatedly screw up the situation with poor decisions and inaction. In 1988, we basically had the equivalent of what Twitter might have looked like because the cops let anyone and everyone have access to the hostage takers. They were repeatedly interviewed by tons of press during the whole thing, and the cops let press and onlookers control nearly every crime scene these guys drove to. It would have been comical if not for the fact that 2 hostages and a cop died. The press, given so much leeway, went overboard with the access. At times, the whole thing played out more like a rock band tour than a hostage situation.

I started it and realized it was not something that I could just casually watch. I will probably take a look at it this weekend.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:54 PM   #3706
Ksyrup

After you watch it, google some background on the entire story because the documentary misses some of the worst of the police screw-ups (likely because it was working just with real-time video/audio). It's possible I missed some of the references in the audio communications, but I couldn't believe some of the stuff I read about that I didn't get from watching the documentary.

I watched it while flying back from Hawaii last weekend and it's still stayed with me a fair bit. Unsettling, unbelievable, tragic.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-15-2022, 04:13 PM   #3707
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
because the documentary misses some of the worst of the police screw-ups (likely because it was working just with real-time video/audio)

I think it is more because the main theme was less Police failure but the unique role of the media in the events. It's not so much missing stuff (and as you say the way they chose to present it is limiting as to how much context you can give for an event like this*) but simply had a different aim.

It's not a recount of the hostage crisis and it's aftermath but a replay of it as it was seen by germans at the time through the eyes of the media that not only took on the role of (way to close) 'observer' (operating more like embeds) but even becoming the go-between in terms of communicating and even an active participant. Both in specific actions and generally by fuelling the perpetrators. The goal of the documentary isn't really to explain it or frame it but to replay the event as such as it was presented to the german public at the time. Which makes sense when you consider that hostage takings (and adjacent crimes like active shooter situations) are much rarer than in the US, so it hasn't got quite the 'cultural significance' where it would seem absolutely crucial to frame the police response. They could have very much done this as there was quite a lot of coverage concentrating on police both at the time and in the aftermath (public hearings, Press conferences etc). One could of course have drawn a straight line back to Police response/tactics when dealing with RAF crimes like the Schleyer abduction (there's bound to be english language or subtitled stuff on this as well, the whole RAF period is worth learning about) or even germanys first bank robbery involving hostages in Munich 1971 or the hostage crisis at the Olympic Games. But it simply wasn't the aim to do so.

If you don't know it be sure to watch "LA 92", which uses a similar style but uses source material for narration whereas Gladbeck makes the source material it's subject, If that makes sense. LA 92 puts big emphasis on police response on a micro and on a macro level which is why that documentary embeds it in a larger context of events leading up to it and the aftermath. Simply because the way police (and the Justice system and Media) handled it then has a lot of relevance to later and current event, whereas in the case of Gladbeck it's just not sth that is all that relevant in this way for Germany (and in general, this being an isolated crime and not part of a bigger social issue).
It's simply much more relevant how it shaped and fundamentally changed Media/reporting, that's it's 'legacy', but also how those lessons faded to a degree in light of a very much current debate on media standards and behaviour as well as the way that certain actors (mainly from the Right) chose to blur the lines between reporting and participating.

This more conventional documentary concentrates a bit more on the police and the aftermath (of course it was a big issue with the RAF crimes and the polices role there still very much present): HD Doku 1988 Das Geiseldrama von Gladbeck - YouTube

There's also a pretty good TV Mini series on it called "54 hours" in it's english language version that is available on amazon prime for the US, i think.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-15-2022 at 04:34 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:34 AM   #3708
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Netflix Resident Evil series out today!

I didn't see this one coming and a total welcome surprise. Something to do this weekend while playing Solasta.

Finished the 8 episodes, ended on a cliff hanger so there'll be more. The first 6 or so was okay (the backstory to the 2 sisters got a little too whiny for me) and halfway believable (in a zombie genre).

Then the last couple got ridiculous with big mutations and stupid decision making.

But beggars can't be choosers. I'll watch pretty much anything with zombies or like.

(And apparently, season 3 for the Korean zombie flick "The Kingdom" hasn't been approved by Netflix)
Old 07-18-2022, 04:01 PM   #3709
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Got a chance to binge The Bear last week. My son had watched it and recommended we give it a watch. The episodes are short but I really like a lot of things about the series. An Italian beef restaurant in Chicago, what's not to like? The actors were very good, liked the story, loved the way it was shot, the way the music was used. Overall a cool series I would recommend giving a watch. However if the F word bothers you this is not one for you to watch.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:19 PM   #3710
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Got a chance to binge The Bear last week. My son had watched it and recommended we give it a watch. The episodes are short but I really like a lot of things about the series. An Italian beef restaurant in Chicago, what's not to like? The actors were very good, liked the story, loved the way it was shot, the way the music was used. Overall a cool series I would recommend giving a watch. However if the F word bothers you this is not one for you to watch.

Really unique show that I enjoyed and also got anxiety from watching.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:19 PM   #3711
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post

This one has been a slow burn for me, but a friend of mine who grew up in the restaurant industry said it's super accurate

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:15 AM   #3712
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Yeah having grown up in the Chicago suburbs and visiting quite a few places like the restaurant in the movie it does bring back memories.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:06 AM   #3713
Edward64
Head Coach

Rewatched The Silence on Netflix. Wouldn't mind a sequel.

And since I was on the dystopian future kick, I found The Giver under "movies like". I really enjoyed it, it had an original idea (at least to me). Give it a shot.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:53 PM   #3714
Edward64
Head Coach

I honestly don't remember the super duper mart from FO3 but am definitely excited about the Fallout series. I can't quite imagine the power armor at work in the series but really hope the series is faithful to the game.

We've got Prime and will be keeping it because of the free shipping. I don't think Prime's quality is as good as Netflix right now but it's definitely improving.

Quote:
A set that is seemingly being used in Amazon Prime's Fallout TV series has been tracked down. Images and a video from the apparent set reveal that the show will use a life-sized Super Duper Mart exterior, suggesting it will take much of its inspiration from Fallout 3.

Multiple people have spotted the huge run-down supermarket, which is apparently located on Staten Island. As well as featuring a run-down exterior, the set includes destroyed vehicles that have an unmistakably 1940s vibe, further pointing to this being a filming location for the Fallout show.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-19-2022 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:45 PM   #3715
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Rewatched The Silence on Netflix. Wouldn't mind a sequel.

And since I was on the dystopian future kick, I found The Giver under "movies like". I really enjoyed it, it had an original idea (at least to me). Give it a shot.

The Giver was fucking horrible. Like, I try to give film adaptations space to create their own version... but it so completely butchered the novella that it was a lie. And a bad movie in its own right.

Old 07-20-2022, 05:54 AM   #3716
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
The Giver was fucking horrible. Like, I try to give film adaptations space to create their own version... but it so completely butchered the novella that it was a lie. And a bad movie in its own right.

Didn't know it was a book so didn't compare.

It contained elements of Soylent Green & Logan's Run, a couple of my favorite B grade movies (yes, I have them in my BR collection). The only thing I didn't like was the ending, I'm wondering "okay, how did that happen".

You got me curious now, may have to get the Kindle version.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:56 AM   #3717
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I honestly don't remember the super duper mart from FO3 but am definitely excited about the Fallout series.

It's one of the very first sizable encounters for many players, probably one of the most memorable fights in the whole game for me, at least from my first playthrough.

Northeast of Megaton, Northwest of Grayditch, the parking lot outside is where many meet the kid who triggers the fight-the-fireants quest.

It was also the site for one of the first wtf bugs I ever saw in the game. The launch-NPC-into-the-sky-like-a-rocket bug to be exact
Old 07-20-2022, 12:04 PM   #3718
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Big thumbs up for The Rehearsal from Nathan Fielder. On HBO Max

Last edited by stevew : 07-20-2022 at 12:05 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:07 PM   #3719
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Didn't know it was a book so didn't compare.

It contained elements of Soylent Green & Logan's Run, a couple of my favorite B grade movies (yes, I have them in my BR collection). The only thing I didn't like was the ending, I'm wondering "okay, how did that happen".

You got me curious now, may have to get the Kindle version.

It's a quick read YA novel that gets used in a lot of middle schools as an introduction to dystopian lit. (Also got expanded into a trilogy FWIW). Completely different in tone, structure, and pacing from the movie

Old 07-20-2022, 03:00 PM   #3720
Atocep
Coordinator

The Boys season 3 is more of The Boys in a good way. Probably my favorite season so far. I can definitely see why it pissed off Trump supporters.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #3721
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched the teasers for the LOR prequel "Rings of Power". It looks great and will be released on Sept 2.

Lord of the Rings The Rings of Power Release Date Details

It's costing Amazon quite a bit of money, the rights ($250M) and season one ($462M) but think it'll pay off. Season two has already been approved.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-21-2022 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:41 PM   #3722
Edward64
Head Coach

"The Gray Man" was fun shoot 'em up movie.

Yeah, a little too unbelievable when compared to Bourne/Bond but perfect believable when compared to John Wick.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:41 PM   #3723
Izulde
Head Coach

Amusing nerd moment: There's an argument breaking out in the main AP Lit Teachers FB group over whether Ozark is a vibe of The Great Gatsby or Macbeth.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:25 PM   #3724
stevew
Hall Of Famer

New season of Car Masters:Rust to Riches on Weds on Netflix. It’s one of my favorite fake reality shows about car restoration. Plus Constance is fun to look at.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:39 AM   #3725
Ksyrup

Anyone used Curiosity Stream before? It's a documentary-based streaming site, it appears. I'm looking for more reality-based alternatives and wondering if the content is worth it.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:41 PM   #3726
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Anyone used Curiosity Stream before? It's a documentary-based streaming site, it appears. I'm looking for more reality-based alternatives and wondering if the content is worth it.

A friend just introduced me to it. At first glance has a lot of really cool things and he loves it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:28 PM   #3727
Ksyrup

For $20 a year for HD and a Samsung TV app, I'll probably do it. It looks good
Old 08-01-2022, 02:08 PM   #3728
Kodos
Resident Alien

Watched St. Vincent on Netflix the other night. Solid movie. Bill Murray is a grumpy Vietnam vet who befriends his new neighbor's son. It co-stars Melissa McCarthy and Naomi Watts. Was worth the time to watch it.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:51 PM   #3729
Critch
lolzcat

A little behind the times but I watched season one of Russian Doll and it was really very good. Came close to turning it off in the first 10 minutes, but once it got over that hump it was worth the watch.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:53 PM   #3730
RainMaker
General Manager

So it sounds like HBO Max might be cutting everything and shutting down.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:53 AM   #3731
bob
College Starter

Well, merged into Discovery+ seems more likely, right?

Which is fine with me, given that Verizon gave me a free year of Discovery+.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:36 AM   #3732
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Well, merged into Discovery+ seems more likely, right?

Merging seems all but certain at this point but also with a new focus on UNscripted programming.

Any HBO Max program survivors -- and rumors seem to suggest there could be a few but only a few -- are likely to move over to the HBO main brand.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:36 AM   #3733
Ksyrup

I have free HBO Max from somewhere (AT&T?), but I never use it. My kids might, don't know.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:03 AM   #3734
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It’s too bad. HBO Max is one of the best streaming services. Some really great shows on there: Peacemaker, Hacks, Station 11, Somebody Somewhere, Righteous Gemstones to name a few. It, also, has a great library of movie titles. It’s one of my go-to services if I am just looking for something random to watch, which is really quite rare. I typically only sit down to watch TV when I have something specific to watch.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:15 PM   #3735
PilotMan
Head Coach

HBO Max is right up there with Netflix in terms of quality content. It's a personal must have for me. It's better than Hulu and Amazon imo.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:00 PM   #3736
RainMaker
General Manager

If I don't get a third season of Warrior because of this, I will turn into the Joker.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:04 PM   #3737
RainMaker
General Manager

Also if people haven't seen it, Warrior is an incredible show. Made by the Banshee showrunner (if you want to know what kind of style the show is) and based on some writings of Bruce Lee.

It's late 1800's San Francisco with tons of martial arts fighting.

Old 08-04-2022, 04:45 PM   #3738
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It's official. HBOMax and Discovery+ is becoming Warner Brothers Discovery.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:25 PM   #3739
Ksyrup

I wonder if that freebee from AT&T is going away, or if they'll do something to make up for losing it?
Old 08-04-2022, 05:39 PM   #3740
RainMaker
General Manager

I've heard of 90 Day Fiance, but there is apparently a 90 Day Fiance Universe they were promoting. Guessing that's other shows under the same brand?

So will HBO shows like Sopranos and such be available under Warner Brothers Discovery? They sure as fuck like to make streaming as confusing as possible.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:00 PM   #3741
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It's official. HBOMax and Discovery+ is becoming Warner Brothers Discovery.

We’ll have to see how it all shakes out, but at the moment, I’m not a fan. I have zero interest in anything on Discovery+ and do not feel like paying for it. Currently, I get HBO Max as part of my HBO subscription, if that carries over, I guess that’s fine. We’ll see.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:15 PM   #3742
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm really confused by the move. So they have a combined 92 million subscribers, but 70 million of those are HBO Max and 22 million are Discovery. So the solution is to rebrand it as Discovery and cancel most of the HBO Max shows. And they said they expect to add 25 million subscribers in the next couple years.

I get cutting budgets and shows. I thought releasing big budget movies straight to streaming was a dumb move. But I legitimately don't know how they expect to grow the service by eliminating the popular stuff and increasing the less popular stuff.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:21 PM   #3743
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm really confused by the move. So they have a combined 92 million subscribers, but 70 million of those are HBO Max and 22 million are Discovery. So the solution is to rebrand it as Discovery and cancel most of the HBO Max shows. And they said they expect to add 25 million subscribers in the next couple years.

I get cutting budgets and shows. I thought releasing big budget movies straight to streaming was a dumb move. But I legitimately don't know how they expect to grow the service by eliminating the popular stuff and increasing the less popular stuff.

HBO has historically been against streaming (at one point their CEO called it a fad) and it looked like that had turned around with a change in leadership and the HBO Max launch, but it sounds like the new leadership is going back to the old school thinking.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:25 PM   #3744
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
HBO has historically been against streaming (at one point their CEO called it a fad) and it looked like that had turned around with a change in leadership and the HBO Max launch, but it sounds like the new leadership is going back to the old school thinking.

It sounds like they are committed to streaming, they just think it'll be reality shows people want instead of scripted stuff.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:06 PM   #3745
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Also if people haven't seen it, Warrior is an incredible show. Made by the Banshee showrunner (if you want to know what kind of style the show is) and based on some writings of Bruce Lee.

It's late 1800's San Francisco with tons of martial arts fighting.

How did I miss this.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:32 PM   #3746
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The fight choreography in that clip is reminiscent of Matrix: Reloaded. I'm a fan

SI

Old 08-05-2022, 05:24 AM   #3747
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
We’ll have to see how it all shakes out, but at the moment, I’m not a fan. I have zero interest in anything on Discovery+ and do not feel like paying for it. Currently, I get HBO Max as part of my HBO subscription, if that carries over, I guess that’s fine. We’ll see.

It better or I'll riot

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:34 AM   #3748
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The fight choreography in that clip is reminiscent of Matrix: Reloaded. I'm a fan

SI

No wire-fu.

I love good MA movies that keeps all the fake stuff to minimum. So yeah, I'm a fan also.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:52 AM   #3749
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No wire-fu.

I love good MA movies that keeps all the fake stuff to minimum. So yeah, I'm a fan also.

But it was clean and crisp and well choreographed

SI

Old 08-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #3750
RainMaker
General Manager

I really liked the new movie Prey. My second favorite Predator movie behind the original.

1 > Prey > 2 > Predators >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Predator

Not counting the Alien movies.

You don't need to see any of the previous ones to enjoy it, although there is a clever Easter egg in there from the 2nd movie. I like the idea of dropping Predator into various times in human history. Ancient Rome, Japanese Samurais, Nazi Germany, etc.