Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #3751
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The invitations to the summit (organized and sent by the NCAA, not Texas) were received on Monday, so had to have gone out last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Who told you that? Chris Brown?????

But keep pretending that this all just happened out of an interest in making sure they were doing things the right way.

We'll just agree to disagree.

Quote:
NCAA just released a ruling that no high school sports events can be shown on conference or school networks as it would violate current by-laws.

Hmmm... I guess it wasn't just a dog and pony show by the Longhorns before getting their way, was it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #3752
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
PAC 12 could go BYU and Air Force. Along with OU and OSU. They have 2 schools in each state in their conference and I think they like that. (I'm counting Cali as 2 states.

I can't see BYU getting into the PAC-12. They're on opposite ends of the political spectrum.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #3753
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I think Texas is going to have a hard time going independent. Obviously they could pull it off just fine in football, but what about all their other sports? BYU could do it because, frankly, their other sports aren't a big deal, and so placing them in the WCC was a viable solution. What would Texas do with their other sports? Conference USA or the Sun Belt? I have my doubts...

Joining the Pac-12 would make a lot of sense, as would the Big Ten.
From Chip Brown "Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Wednesday it would be Texas' goal to hold the Big 12 together. But if there wasn't sentiment for that he said Texas and a school like Notre Dame should look at starting their own conference. Dodds has said he is against Texas going independent." Don't really know why Dodds would publicly list that as an option, but it is an interesting alternative to think about. That's also the only way I can see ND not being the 16th Big Ten team whenever #15 joins.

Also trying to figure out how this can work out for UMass. Was hoping it would wait 2-3 years so we could show some success in the MAC (and attendance-wise) and slide into the Big East when the shit hit the fan, but the timing isn't looking great right now.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 08-12-2011 at 01:41 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #3754
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV's looking in bad shape for a superconference scenario.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #3755
MrBug708
Head Coach

A few things would have to fall out of the way. Vegas is a two edged sword unfortunately
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #3756
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Once the Texas chip falls, I don't see the hurry for the Big Ten. They have their pick of Big East/ACC/remainder of the Big XII whenever they want.

I also don't see the point of the Pac 12 expanding. Utah was the best selection they could make to get to 12. It was still a bit of a stretch. New schools have to add revenue for a conference. Without Texas or Oklahoma, I don't see them adding revenue. And Oklahoma supposedly has a "State" problem.

Let's say the SEC plucks Texas A&M and Virginia Tech (might as well go for the most valuable properties they can, regardless of fit). The ACC can take Pitt or Rutgers, the Big XII probably stays at nine and the Big Ten can sit for a few years and decide its next move while keeping the open invitations for Texas and Notre Dame.

I don't like the idea of 16-school conferences and not hosting a cross-division rival for 16 years. How do you preserve OSU/Michigan in a 16-team conference unless they're in the same division?

The number of major conferences really doesn't matter that much - it's the number of viable major schools. And I think that's saturated. The rest is just fighting over the split. If I'm sitting in the Big Ten, I'm thinking I only want to expand if I can get a premier school like Texas or Notre Dame.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #3757
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Yeah, it is hard to envision ESPN letting that happen quietly. I can see them kicking the legs out from under NBC and the Big East by suggesting that the ACC grab 3 or 4 Big East teams and renegotiating with them.

I smell a lawsuit
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 AM   #3758
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
How do you preserve OSU/Michigan in a 16-team conference unless they're in the same division?

With a 16-team conference including Texas, Notre Dame, and Nebraska, what's the point of making sure they're not in the same division? This is hardly the Big Two, Little Eight anymore, and at this point, it would be insulting to the rest of the conference (especially the big fish being brought in) to say that this game ought to be deciding the conference champion -- wouldn't it be pretty good if it were deciding the 8-team division champion a lot of times instead?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #3759
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another article on the turmoil. His comments that A&M almost has to jump this time or risk being seen as 'Chicken Little' are pretty accurate........

Justice: To save face, A&M must head to SEC | Richard Justice: Columnist | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #3760
molson
General Manager

I need to go to urbandictionary to see what "done deal" means nowadays...they definitely changed the meaning at some point.

Last edited by molson : 08-12-2011 at 10:38 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #3761
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Report: Florida State discussing jump to SEC - CBSSports.com
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #3762
Ksyrup

From what I've read, I guess this would be a good thing for FSU in terms of money, but I don't know. If the SEC took VT or Clemson, for instance, then FSU's got an even easier road to a BCS conference title.

OTOH, I now live in an SEC East town, so it would be great to regularly see FSU sports come through town. So on a personal level, I kinda hope it happens.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-12-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #3763
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good compilation of the various 'sources'........

OTC: Reports Have Texas A&M Heading To SEC / WWII About To Begin In Big 12 | GregHallKC
Old 08-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #3764
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Or more specifically, where does Mizzou end up?

Per MBBF earlier in this thread, they resigned from the Big 12 last year and will play in the Big 10 starting in September.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #3765
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
From what I've read, I guess this would be a good thing for FSU in terms of money, but I don't know. If the SEC took VT or Clemson, for instance, then FSU's got an even easier road to a BCS conference title.

OTOH, I now live in an SEC East town, so it would be great to regularly see FSU sports come through town. So on a personal level, I kinda hope it happens.

It would be hard for the Dawgs to have to play FSU and UFA every year, but that we be such an awesome "hard."

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-12-2011 at 11:03 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #3766
Ksyrup

If that happened, or especially if the SEC went to 16 and added a couple more legit teams, I can just hear the SEC follks screaming that a 2-loss SEC team is better than an undefeated team from any other conference. Ha!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-12-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #3767
Ksyrup

Seems over but the details:

BryanDFischer Bryan Fischer
Dan Beebe all but pushing A&M out the door by saying that Texas holds the key to the long-term future of the Big 12

Yes (re: Dan Beebe). RT @gkketch: @BryanDFischer It's not quite the middle finger, but it's fairly close. Wow.

Also:

And if the SEC did invite VT to join, Weaver said, "I think we would politely decline." So there's one expansion rumor put to bed.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-12-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #3768
timmynausea
College Starter

It'll be interesting. The Big East does seem to hold some chips for once with the pending ESPN/NBC bidding war, but I do find it kind of hilarious that being so mismanaged has led the conference to being in a good spot by the random timing/chance of TV contracts. I get the feeling that WVU would much prefer to just jump to the ACC rather than deal with the basketball schools/commissioners that have held back BE football forever.

I'd have mixed feelings as a fan and would miss a lot of the rivalries, but I would understand why it'd make a lot of sense. I mean, even with an almost perfect scenario falling into the Big East's lap with a pending Big 12 collapse and the upcoming contract negotiation, I still half-expect the commissioner and basketball schools to find a way to fuck it up.

Last edited by timmynausea : 08-12-2011 at 12:39 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #3769
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
PAC 12 could go BYU and Air Force. Along with OU and OSU. They have 2 schools in each state in their conference and I think they like that. (I'm counting Cali as 2 states.
That's a non-starter. BYU will never be invited to the Pac-12, and Air Force adds nothing in terms of money. Texas and Oklahoma are the big fish. Assuming the Longhorn Network is a deal-breaker for the Pac-12, that leaves Oklahoma and the conference trying to decide if Oklahoma is worth also bringing along Oklahoma State, and whether schools like Mizzou and Kansas bring enough revenue to offset the increased split of the TV pie.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #3770
Ksyrup

Tweet:

Here's your scud missile: TAMU posts BOR meeting today...meaning they'll meet on Monday (72-hour posting rule) as opposed to 8/22

This is the day before the Texas Education Board was supposed to meet. Possibly going to vote and render meeting meaningless?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-12-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #3771
Ksyrup

Also:

RT @ChrisLevel: A high ranking #TexasTech official confirms to me that the SEC is in talks with Texas A&M and an ACC school.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-12-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #3772
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Also:

RT @ChrisLevel: A high ranking #TexasTech official confirms to me that the SEC is in talks with Texas A&M and an ACC school.

FSU! FSU! FSU!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #3773
Ksyrup

Orangebloods.com's Chip Brown (@ChipBrownOB) saying sources close to A&M say nine-member regents board will vote to leave for the SEC.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #3774
Ksyrup

Swofford's come out and says he has no knowledge of FSU talks.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #3775
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Orangebloods.com's Chip Brown (@ChipBrownOB) saying sources close to A&M say nine-member regents board will vote to leave for the SEC.

Chip has made for fantastic entertainment. In the span of 24 hours, he's gone from saying there's 100% no truth to any A&M to SEC rumors to saying that they will leave.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #3776
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Article from the UT Minister of Information..........

Orangebloods.com - D-Day appears imminent for 10-member Big 12

Quote:

Quote:
Chip has made for fantastic entertainment. In the span of 24 hours, he's gone from saying there's 100% no truth to any A&M to SEC rumors to saying that they will leave.

Hmmm....
Old 08-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #3777
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Hmmm....

Here's the Minister of Information late Wednesday.......

Quote:
"no truth to the rumor A&M moving to SEC"

When challenged by the A&M Rivals staff........

Quote:
"For all the Aggies wondering who my sources are on this, they are sources at the highest level of your school."

Dude's a smug idiot who has been the absolute last person to get it right of late. He should learn from his Rivals co-workers to actually firm up information rather than just throwing sh*% against a wall as soon as he hears it from someone. But I don't expect that to happen anytime soon. He's become a total attention whore that provides amusement to those actually relaying good information.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #3778
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Here's the Minister of Information late Wednesday.......

When challenged by the A&M Rivals staff........

Dude's a smug idiot who has been the absolute last person to get it right of late. He should learn from his Rivals co-workers to actually firm up information rather than just throwing sh*% against a wall as soon as he hears it from someone. But I don't expect that to happen anytime soon. He's become a total attention whore that provides amusement to those actually relaying good information.

It's a good thing we don't have someone like that on this board.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #3779
cartman
Death Herald

HAHAHA

You of all people to call someone out on their sources not being right. That's classic. Go ahead and hang your hat on his initial info being off-base. I know it pains you, but he's been right more often than not with his sources in the past. You mistake smugness for accuracy.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #3780
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's a good thing we don't have someone like that on this board.

I'm not a media member. There's a HUGE difference. FWIW.....I realize that there's only a certain amount of people in Texas that can write AND read, so I'm sure the options were limited in the hiring process.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #3781
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
HAHAHA

You of all people to call someone out on their sources not being right. That's classic. Go ahead and hang your hat on his initial info being off-base. I know it pains you, but he's been right more often than not with his sources in the past. You mistake smugness for accuracy.

Your admission of inaccuracy is accepted.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #3782
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not a media member. There's a HUGE difference. FWIW.....I realize that there's only a certain amount of people in Texas that can write AND read, so I'm sure the options were limited in the hiring process.

I know, the difference is you spread your bullshit without getting paid.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #3783
cartman
Death Herald

You might take some notes. Instead of doubling down on the stupid, he worked on getting more accurate info when more and more stuff came out that contradicted his original position.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #3784
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I know, the difference is you spread your bullshit without getting paid.

Agreed. It's amazing that you can get paid for being wrong. I need that gig. Only in Texas.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #3785
Ksyrup

Ha! Texas AD says "UT staff" is working on list of possible replacements for TAMU. As Some are pointing out, that pretty much sums up why TAMU is leaving.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #3786
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Ha! Texas AD says "UT staff" is working on list of possible replacements for TAMU. As Some are pointing out, that pretty much sums up why TAMU is leaving.

At almost the same time, Dan Beebe said that the conference would add no teams and move forward as nine.

Too many chefs in the kitchen and none of them know how to cook.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #3787
digamma
Torchbearer

Good thing Missouri handed in their letter of resignation last year.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #3788
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Good thing Missouri handed in their letter of resignation last year.

Not sure it matters whether it was then or now. End result is still a mess with the other teams looking for a conference that Texas isn't in.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #3789
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

I've seen it quoted elsewhere as they've contacted the other 8 teams, and the remaining 9 teams are looking at possible replacements.

Austin sports news and Longhorns | Statesman.com
Old 08-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #3790
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Not sure it matters whether it was then or now. End result is still a mess with the other teams looking for a conference that Texas isn't in.

Oh it totally matters--Missouri doesn't have to deal with it at all. I can't remember, are they in the Leaders or Legends division?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #3791
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I've seen it quoted elsewhere as they've contacted the other 8 teams, and the remaining 9 teams are looking at possible replacements.

Austin sports news and Longhorns | Statesman.com

Perfect example of UT. They just don't get it. No one wants to hear from UT, even though UT puts it upon themselves to 'contact' the other teams. This just in......the other teams didn't contact UT first because they're pissed of at the me-first attitude of the UT leadership. I wouldn't be shocked if the remaining 8 left and UT admins were left standing alone on a hill proudly claiming they were the sole remaining member of the Big 12.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #3792
cartman
Death Herald

Looks like the Texas Legislature is gonna get involved:

Big 12, SEC, A&M to talk possible conference realignment at hearing in Texas Legislature - The Washington Post
Old 08-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #3793
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

President McCain is sure to overrule this.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #3794
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Oh it totally matters--Missouri doesn't have to deal with it at all. I can't remember, are they in the Leaders or Legends division?

That ship hasn't even come close to sailing yet.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #3795
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Perfect example of UT. They just don't get it. No one wants to hear from UT, even though UT puts it upon themselves to 'contact' the other teams. This just in......the other teams didn't contact UT first because they're pissed of at the me-first attitude of the UT leadership. I wouldn't be shocked if the remaining 8 left and UT admins were left standing alone on a hill proudly claiming they were the sole remaining member of the Big 12.

Good thing you have such a capable AD, showing his chops with that Matt Painter hire.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #3796
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Good thing you have such a capable AD, showing his chops with that Matt Painter hire.

If my football team had 5 wins, I'd be talking trash about coaching hires too.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #3797
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
If my football team had 5 wins, I'd be talking trash about coaching hires too.

Yes, of course. Last season is the only one that matters. Got anymore gems like that one?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #3798
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yes, of course. Last season is the only one that matters. Got anymore gems like that one?

I'll give you some hope. UT can't ever finish tied for 10th again in a nine team conference. That's GOT to make you feel better.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #3799
cartman
Death Herald

I said gems, not a poorly rehashed version of your original. Oh wait, that's all you have.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #3800
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
That ship hasn't even come close to sailing yet.

ORLY???

I thought someone had said it was a done deal.