Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #3901
cuervo72
Head Coach

Also this:

"Citizens Bank Park has room for more than 1,000 standing room tickets, which don't count towards the stadium's official capacity."

So for a true sellout, it would be natural that they would be over 100% capacity.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #3902
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

AT&T has the RF Arcade for standing room only as well - its where I watched game 1 of the 2010 World Series. The Giants inflate their ticket sales as well, but since 2010 they haven't really had to fudge it very much at all. Support for the team has been insanely high since then.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #3903
spleen1015
Coordinator

SI, it is BAL in, not BOS.

You POS.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #3904
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
SI, it is BAL in, not BOS.

You POS.

Ew, corrected

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #3905
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The question is: Are those attendance figures from the turnstile count, or an estimate. Because, you know, there could have been people drinking on the concourse.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #3906
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dola,

On those numbers, Jon, what is the final percentage that is in the parens? It shows the Rangers -15%, but they had their first season over 3 million fans this year.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #3907
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yankees prospect Manny Banuelos needs tommy john. Explains a lot of his regression as a prospect this year. He's still very young(21) and hopefully can round back into form. Believed by many to be a potential top of the rotation type arm if his control improves.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #3908
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So Albert Pujols...perhaps you should have stayed with the Cards after all?

After making what he makes.. doubt he cares.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #3909
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
AT&T has the RF Arcade for standing room only as well - its where I watched game 1 of the 2010 World Series. The Giants inflate their ticket sales as well, but since 2010 they haven't really had to fudge it very much at all. Support for the team has been insanely high since then.

Before that even (I'd say 2008 / 2009), but yeah - World Series tickers are in the "thousands" of dollars range if you want a block of 4 - single tickets were 700-800 bucks even. The Giants own San Francisco currently (The 10 year Niners dud period helped), but the two major franchises (Giants + Niners) play well together. The standing room only is always full.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #3910
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Before that even (I'd say 2008 / 2009), but yeah - World Series tickers are in the "thousands" of dollars range if you want a block of 4 - single tickets were 700-800 bucks even. The Giants own San Francisco currently (The 10 year Niners dud period helped), but the two major franchises (Giants + Niners) play well together. The standing room only is always full.

It cost me $500 a pop for the standing room only tickets. Still the best money I've ever spent.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #3911
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Dola,

On those numbers, Jon, what is the final percentage that is in the parens? It shows the Rangers -15%, but they had their first season over 3 million fans this year.

Ah crap. I thought I had every one of them fixed (I did 3 or 4 backwards as I was typing them), sorry about that.
edit: screw it, easier just to erase all the %'s and if anybody gives a shit they can do the math themselves.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-02-2012 at 02:36 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #3912
spleen1015
Coordinator

O's game on MLB.tv

Yankees' game on MLB Network.

Let's go O's!!

Last edited by spleen1015 : 10-02-2012 at 06:05 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #3913
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno if anyone was following the Adam Greenberg story. He got his AB tonight.

Spoiler
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #3914
bhlloy
Coordinator

I wonder if ever in the game of baseball a pitcher has been trying so hard not to let one get away from him with nobody on base.

It would have been absolutely hilarious in a sick kind of way if Dickey had drilled him with a knuckler. Even Ozzie would have to leave him if that happened
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #3915
Jas_lov
College Starter

I like how there's 14 teams in the AL, the Tigers have the 7th best record in the AL and they're the only ones sitting pretty right now. And they get to host Games 1 and 2.

Anyway, Yanks come back to win 4-3 thanks to Raul Ibanez. Os win 1-0 despite getting just 2 hits and striking out 15 times vs Shields. Rangers currently up 1-0. If Oakland wins we'll have a hell of a game tomorrow for AL West crown. It's amazing how there's such a fine line for these teams. They could be #1 with HFA or #5 playing a one game WC on the road and it all might come down to tomorrow.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #3916
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How about how the 2nd best team in the AL randomly gets to fly any number of places after the WC game so they can play that night. The Rangers could end up going to Oakland, Baltimore or New York. This wildcard blows.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #3917
Buccaneer
Head Coach

How about the AL team with the best record go play the NL team with the best record in an early October World Series?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #3918
molson
General Manager

Eh, the only real "fair" way to do it would be 1 league, 1 division, everyone plays each other an equal number of times and then the team with the best record at the end is the champion. Everything beyond that is for fun anyway.

Last edited by molson : 10-02-2012 at 11:10 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #3919
Jas_lov
College Starter

The WC team with the best record should be the defacto winner of the AL Central. Since the Tigers have a worse record than both WC teams they should have to play the 2nd WC team in the one game WC and the Tigers would be on the road for that game. If the Tigers were to win the one game WC they would start on the ROAD in the ALDS, not at home. I don't know why Bud did that stupid 2-3 format to save one travel day.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 10-02-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #3920
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

So how many Cardinals fans are Giants fans right now? Bottom of 9th, Dodgers trailing 4-3, man on 1st, no outs.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #3921
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

WOO HOO! GIANTS KNOCK THE DODGERS OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #3922
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Congrats to the Cards for making the postseason!

And a thank you to the Giants as well
Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #3923
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Arles, it is a moment for which the Giants are always glad to provide help in. The thread at McCoveyChronicles was titled "Eliminate." Winning is awesome - beating the Dodgers and crushing their dreams? Extra bonus.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #3924
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Just attempting to defend the brand. The original comment implied that a) the team sucks (they're now two over, not great but not horrid) and b) the fans suck (gee, SURPRISE that they don't show up).

The comparisons were intending to show that even though Phillies fans may not have made it to more recent series against the Nats...well, the Nats fans haven't exactly either. The team won the division and attendance still regularly dips below 30k (though yes, in general it has risen). The sucky team with the sucky fans up 95 meanwhile still pull 40k+. Unless that number was boosted by road-tripping Nats fans.

Hah. So I'm all upset that you blew my comments out of proportion and think I'm being a dick. Instead, you read it completely wrong and think I'm making a different statement than I really was. (not that my original statement didn't have dick-ish-ness to it)

For clarification it was: Phillies fans talk about how they wouldn't take over Nationals Park if they could sell their own tickets. Included that is either stated or implied that it is because the team sucks. That is the constant montra of a Phillies fan to a Nationals fan (in my limited viewpoint). However, in 2006 at home, and now in 2012 in DC, the Phillies fans don't show up when the team isn't doing well. It was more of an attempt to tell "those" Philly fans to take a look in the mirror before they start throwing out insults about an 8 year old team's attendance when their team, historically, has not drawn well during losing stretches. (also from my viewpoint, as evidenced by the follow-up comments that went straight to DC's home non-Philly game attendance)

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #3925
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Great game 162 today. Two divisions undecided. Both top seeds undecided. Should be fun today.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #3926
Thomkal
Head Coach

Woohoo Cardinals!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #3927
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm overtly rooting for Cabrera to win the Triple Crown because it will be neat to see. It's something that's never happened in my lifetime so I'd like to see it. Cabrera's a good player so it wouldn't be some fluke like Brady Anderson winning it. Yes, it's about hitting for power (fairly static), hitting for average (highly variable), and RBIzz (team dependent) but it's still a neat relic that can tie today to an older age of baseball.

Also, I'm secretly hoping for Cabrera to get the Triple Crown to see the sabermetric meltdown when he gets the MVP. Let's be honest: the MVP has never been defined in any sport and that muddies the water a lot. We've had a lot of times when it's the "best player in the league". We've had quite a few times when it's the best player on the worst team because without that player, the team wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs. Typically, it's a combination of the two. Then there's all sorts of nonsense where having a good teammate makes it harder because you'll "split the vote". Or you have circumstances like this season where you have a player who played the entire season versus only part of the season and the funny thing about that is both sides use that argument to try and bolster their guy's side: my guy played less so imagine if he had played a whole season vs our guy was more valuable because he played a whole season. Like the Cy Young, it's a nebulous award and always has been and, I suspect, always will be. I'm pretty sure it won't turn into the league WAR leader any time soon.

SI

Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #3928
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is there a BABIP-neutral "overall" hitting stat out there?

SI

Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #3929
spleen1015
Coordinator

If Cabrera wins the Triple Crown, he is going to win the MVP. I think Trout deserves to be the MVP. He is the better all around player and deserves it. Had he played in the majors in April, I don't think there would even be a question.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #3930
MrBug708
Head Coach

And the Giants best moment of the year happened
MrBug708 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #3931
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Hah. So I'm all upset that you blew my comments out of proportion and think I'm being a dick. Instead, you read it completely wrong and think I'm making a different statement than I really was. (not that my original statement didn't have dick-ish-ness to it)

Actually, the word I used to your brother was "uppity", not "dickish."

Quote:
For clarification it was: Phillies fans talk about how they wouldn't take over Nationals Park if they could sell their own tickets. Included that is either stated or implied that it is because the team sucks. That is the constant montra of a Phillies fan to a Nationals fan (in my limited viewpoint). However, in 2006 at home, and now in 2012 in DC, the Phillies fans don't show up when the team isn't doing well. It was more of an attempt to tell "those" Philly fans to take a look in the mirror before they start throwing out insults about an 8 year old team's attendance when their team, historically, has not drawn well during losing stretches. (also from my viewpoint, as evidenced by the follow-up comments that went straight to DC's home non-Philly game attendance)

I will certainly concede that - there have been stretches where the Phillies haven't drawn well (let's be honest - there have been a LOT of losing stretches in the Phillies' history.) And I didn't see the view first-hand at the park. What I have to rely on is the local media, and they seemed to be the most bent out of shape that "WELL. I can't believe these Phillies fans just think they can walk on in here!" Yes, they can and have every right to as long as tickets are available and they have the will to travel (and some of these mind you don't need to be from Philly. They can also be from Lancaster, or Harrisburg, or Gettysburg...)

What was kicked around in the lounge is the idea that while fan interest in DC is growing, some of us expected it to grow faster than it has. This team was in a divisional race - why aren't games selling out? Is it because they were able to coast and had a wild card birth wrapped up? Is it a function of weeknight games (a tough sell in all but a handful of markets)? Football season?

The other thing that struck me about the franchise is just how poor of a bump the stadium gave the team. Either due to poor planning (building it when they still stunk) or due to other factors (location? parking? lack of surrounding attractions?), there wasn't that boom that other teams have seen.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #3932
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Agent Ned's contract extension was pretty good as well.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #3933
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Hmm... I know you're referring to the Dodgers being eliminated (and by the Giants no less), but considering the Giants are in the playoffs, I have to think their best moment could still be to come, ane even if it didn't (like they got swept in the playoffs), then the best moment would probably be when they clinched the division.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #3934
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I was going to say something about how meaningless those games would be without the second wild card when I noted that BAL-NYY and TEX-OAK are all within one game of one another, so the one wild card under of the old system would have been as hotly contested as the divisional matchups. So I guess today would have been fun under the old system, too.

That said, there is the added value that comes now with being a division winner and not having to play in the wild card game. That is a tremendous reward for winning the division. And the losers will be keeping an eye on the other matchup as well, since they could either host the wild card game or have to travel for it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #3935
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, there are three games that matter; TEX @ OAK, BOS @ NYY and BAL @ TB. TEX and OAK are tied at 93-68 atop the AL West and the Yankees are up 1 (94-67 to 93-68 for BAL) in the AL East.

So there are eight possible scenarios, if I have it right.

#1: NYY, BAL, TEX wins

Yankees win AL East and have home field throughout AL playoffs.
Texas wins AL West.
BAL gets first WC and will host OAK in WC game.

#2: NYY, BAL, OAK wins

Yankees win AL East and have home field throughout playoffs.
Oakland wins AL West.
BAL gets first WC and will host TEX in WC game.

#3: NYY wins, BAL loses, TEX wins

Texas wins AL West.
Host of WC game between BAL and OAK determined by tiebreakers (HvH first criterion)

#4: NYY wins, BAL loses, OAK wins

Oakland wins AL West.
Host of WC game between BAL and TEX determined by tiebreakers (HvH first criterion)

#5: NYY loses, BAL wins, TEX wins

NYY and BAL play an extra one game for division champ. I believe the winner actually gets home field throughout playoffs.
Texas wins AL West.
Loser of NYY-BAL extra game hosts OAK.

#6: NYY loses, BAL wins, OAK wins

NYY and BAL play an extra one game for division champ. I believe the winner actually gets home field throughout playoffs.
Oakland wins AL West.
Loser of NYY-BAL extra game hosts TEX.

#7: NYY loses, BAL loses, TEX wins

Yankees win AL East.
Texas wins AL West.
Home field throughout playoffs is determined by TEX and NYY tiebreakers (HvH first criterion).
Host of WC game between BAL and OAK determined by tiebreakers (HvH first criterion)

#8: NYY loses, BAL loses, OAK wins

Yankees win AL East.
Oakland wins AL West.
Home field throughout playoffs is determined by OAK and NYY tiebreakers (HvH first criterion).
Host of WC game between BAL and TEX determined by tiebreakers (HvH first criterion)

Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #3936
molson
General Manager

It might be kind of fun if the Orioles/Yankees play a division tiebreaker, and then play again in the divisional round or ALCS. That's the kind of thing that can start rivalries if the games have some drama to them.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #3937
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Winner of the 2012 INMIYA (It's-Not-Me-It's-You Award):

Barry Zito 4.15 ERA 2010: 3.61 run support, 9-14, off playoff roster

Barry Zito 4.15 ERA 2012, 4.76 run support, 15-8, playoff bound
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #3938
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

My mother-in-law and my wife were selected for the public pre-sale of NLCS tickets. I picked up four (the max) tickets total. By 10:01 the best seats available were 32nd row bleacher seats, and by 10:06 it was SRO.

Whew!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #3939
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post

Interesting thing is that because the league ERA is less this season, Zito's ERA+ is worse this season (it was 94 in 2010 and 84 this season).
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #3940
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It might be kind of fun if the Orioles/Yankees play a division tiebreaker, and then play again in the divisional round or ALCS. That's the kind of thing that can start rivalries if the games have some drama to them.

Like if 110 years of playing in the same division won't work enough for a rivalry?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #3941
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Interesting thing is that because the league ERA is less this season, Zito's ERA+ is worse this season (it was 94 in 2010 and 84 this season).

Zito is typically good for 6 innings and 2-3 runs. Sometimes he'll do better, and sometimes he'll do worse. All season long he's been much better than Lincecum, and often times he's been better than Vogey. Zito is undoubtedly among the top 4 starters on the team, and thus deserves a spot in the rotation.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #3942
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I still can't believe how effective Dickey's knuckleball has been as a strikeout pitch this year. It will be interesting to see if he can pitch into his mid 40s.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #3943
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Lost in the day 162 excitement, this bit of outstanding news:

Baseball Fans Should Rejoice as MLB, Fox Partially Lift Blackouts

The obnoxious Fox Saturday blackouts for MLB Extra Innings/MLB.TV subscribers are gone -- as of 2014, anyway.

Now, to get to work on the even more obnoxious territorial-rights-related blackouts...
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #3944
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post

BUT WINS ARE IMPORTANT CLUTCH YADA YADA! THat's Bruce Bochy's logic in a nutshell.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #3945
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
My mother-in-law and my wife were selected for the public pre-sale of NLCS tickets. I picked up four (the max) tickets total. By 10:01 the best seats available were 32nd row bleacher seats, and by 10:06 it was SRO.

Whew!

Lucky bastard - I didn't make the cut.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #3946
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Zito is typically good for 6 innings and 2-3 runs. Sometimes he'll do better, and sometimes he'll do worse. All season long he's been much better than Lincecum, and often times he's been better than Vogey. Zito is undoubtedly among the top 4 starters on the team, and thus deserves a spot in the rotation.

Nope. I'd much rather go with Lincecum or Vogelsong. The latter has been better, and Zito will get killed by a team like the reds. He's the 5th starter on this team - 70 BB / 114K / 184 IP is not a good pitcher, no matter how many shiny wins he has. He's 5th amongst the starters in XFIP and FIP; his luck on BIP doesn't change the fact that he's pretty clearly the worst of the starters.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #3947
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Like if 110 years of playing in the same division won't work enough for a rivalry?

/checks Orioles' born-on date

//gets the point anyway
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #3948
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The orioles are the Browns, right?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #3949
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Nope. I'd much rather go with Lincecum or Vogelsong. The latter has been better, and Zito will get killed by a team like the reds. He's the 5th starter on this team - 70 BB / 114K / 184 IP is not a good pitcher, no matter how many shiny wins he has. He's 5th amongst the starters in XFIP and FIP; his luck on BIP doesn't change the fact that he's pretty clearly the worst of the starters.

Considering Lincecum has been the worst pitcher in the majors this year...I disagree. Give Zito the pearl at AT&T Park and you give yourself a fighting chance. Throw Lincecum out there and you could be down 5-0 before the 3rd inning is over.

Of course I wish I were wrong, because when Lincecum is on, he's one of the best in the bigs.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #3950
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Considering Lincecum has been the worst pitcher in the majors this year...I disagree. Give Zito the pearl at AT&T Park and you give yourself a fighting chance. Throw Lincecum out there and you could be down 5-0 before the 3rd inning is over.

Of course I wish I were wrong, because when Lincecum is on, he's one of the best in the bigs.

That's simply not true. ERA is a superficial metric.

Here's three stat lines:

IP / K / BB / BABIP

186 / 190 / 90 / .309
184 / 114 / 70 / .281
184 / 151 / 61 / .285

Anyone who looks at those lines and thinks pitcher no 2 (Lincecum is 1, Vogelsong is 3) is the best option is smoking something. Zito is the 5th starter, and the fact that our manager thinks otherwise says more about him. There is no universe in which Zito is a better pitcher.