Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #351
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
A friend has it and says that combat is probably the weakest part of the game, but there isn't a big focus on combat so it's more of an annoyance than a major issue.

I just picked it up on steam. I should have some time to play around with it late this evening.

Don't forget to let us know...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #352
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm not much on mortal combat type games, but this looks fantastic..

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #353
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I'll make sure to play some today, got too caught up playing Dota the last couple nights.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #354
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, who's played Lego Batman 2 and how is it?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #355
whomario
Pro Starter

as for Pro Cycling Manager, @ DT : Do you (or anyone else) know if the tours actually change shape from year to year by now ? Meaning that the 2013 TDF in a career will have different stages than the default 2012 one ?

I know there was a way to change that yourself in 2010 (i think) but i remember it being very complex.

How well do the simmed stages work and is season planning really more easy ?

Also, would anyone be willing to gift me the game and get paid back via paypal ? Would save me quite a bit in this instance.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-07-2012 at 11:21 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #356
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
as for Pro Cycling Manager, @ DT : Do you (or anyone else) know if the tours actually change shape from year to year by now ? Meaning that the 2013 TDF in a career will have different stages than the default 2012 one ?

I know there was a way to change that yourself in 2010 (i think) but i remember it being very complex.

Also, would anyone be willing to gift me the game and get paid back via paypal ? Would save me quite a bit in this instance.

1) Not sure, haven't gotten that far ahead in my career.

2) Simmed stages seem to work fairly well - I don't get a ton of "weird" results...I can sim some more today for example and let you know.

In fact, as far as answering your questions maybe I should just run a season and sim the TDF and speed through everything else to see, and tell you who the individual stage and overall results for "normalness."

As far as your last question - sure thing.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #357
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I didn't forget. I just haven't had a chance to play as much as I expected.

What I have seen is impressive. The UI is the best I've seen in a 4x game. It's clean, it's simple, and it holds a ton of data. The races are distinctly different from one another and each looks like they'll play differently. The research tree is huge and each race has a few techs that are unique to them.

I can't really comment on combat yet. Overall, I'm enjoying it and I'm excited to get deeper into the game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #358
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Haven't yet seen if they do organically, but I saw that there's at least one pack that Cyanide is releasing that will have 100 new stages, including 3 new alternative maps for the GT's. And I imagine the community makes them too (don't know to be honest).

Running a game as FDJ right now where I'll just try to sim through a couple years and see how things go.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #359
whomario
Pro Starter

thanks, much apreciated. Definitely want to find some more info on the game before purchasing, maybe i´d better wait for it being on sale later in the year anyway.

also thanks @ Atocep for keeping us in the loop. From what i´ve read in terms of reviews (IGN has a good one here : Endless Space Review - IGN ) it´s a serious time consumer. Yeah i know that isn´t much of a surprise
Still might be a reason to wait until after summer for me, especially since i´m currently not exactly good at keeping concentrated on a single thing/game for long, given up on CK2 for now and haven´t touched FM12 in weeks.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 07-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #360
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
thanks, much apreciated. Definitely want to find some more info on the game before purchasing, maybe i´d better wait for it being on sale later in the year anyway.

also thanks @ Atocep for keeping us in the loop. From what i´ve read in terms of reviews (IGN has a good one here : Endless Space Review - IGN ) it´s a serious time consumer. Yeah i know that isn´t much of a surprise
Still might be a reason to wait until after summer for me, especially since i´m currently not exactly good at keeping concentrated on a single thing/game for long, given up on CK2 for now and haven´t touched FM12 in weeks.

To your question about how the simulating goes: I've been exclusively quick-simulating a year with FDJ, and just won the 5 Jours de Dunkerque with Steve Chainel by 11 seconds. My sprinter Arnaud Demare won the first 2 stages in massed sprints but had to withdraw with a broken wrist.

So I'd say simulating is giving good results. Seeing people winning races that I'd expect to see win. TDF finished A. Schleck, Evans, Wiggins, Nibali, Menchov. David Moncoutie won the KOTM, and Boonen (who doesn't believe in the Olympics in this game), absolutely DESTOYED Greipel for the Green jersey (368 to 272), with Roman Feillu in 3rd. My sprinter managed to place 8th in the Points competition. Yay for me. And Pinot placed 2nd behind Wout Poels in the White Jersey competition.

Will let you know after this season how the offseason and the next year's races go as far as if the Grand Tours are different routes.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-07-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #361
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I didn't forget. I just haven't had a chance to play as much as I expected.

What I have seen is impressive. The UI is the best I've seen in a 4x game. It's clean, it's simple, and it holds a ton of data. The races are distinctly different from one another and each looks like they'll play differently. The research tree is huge and each race has a few techs that are unique to them.

I can't really comment on combat yet. Overall, I'm enjoying it and I'm excited to get deeper into the game.

I could not agree more on the UI, they absolutely nailed it. Not only is it minimalist without taking up too much screen space it looks fantastic and also does a great job displaying all the relevant info you want on each screen.

Last edited by mckerney : 07-08-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #362
mckerney
Coordinator

Played a couple hours of Endless Space, I've been enjoying it quite a bit, but still learning and getting the hang of the mechanics. I really like the research and resource systems so far, haven't figured out how to best go about using them though.

As great as the UI overall there are a few instances where it doesn't give you the information you need. There were a few times when I tried to move my ships from one area to another but wasn't able to and there was absolutely no feedback about why this was the case. I had to find answers by searching online, and even then I wasn't completely understanding why it was happening.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #363
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for all the Endless Space feedback.. I'm contemplating that one myself.

I've been wanting a turn based strategy game for my pc for quite some time. Definitely looks interesting.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #364
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Are the FIFA games good on PC? $9.99 on Amazon is enticing.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #365
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

I just bought it for the PC a week ago (for $20 ) and have really been enjoying it so far. It plays great on my PC. Also, everything I read has said that the PC version this year is identical to the consoles.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #366
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Ok, who's played Lego Batman 2 and how is it?

I have it. It's fun like all the other lego games. Voice acting adds a lot to the presentation. Pretty good original story. Open world is fun, but they could have done more with it, but that's what Lego Justice League or whatever's next is for.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #367
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not much on mortal combat type games, but this looks fantastic..

now THAT is a Sandbox!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #368
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
I just bought it for the PC a week ago (for $20 ) and have really been enjoying it so far. It plays great on my PC. Also, everything I read has said that the PC version this year is identical to the consoles.

Nice. Wasn't sure if it was gimped version or not. $10 sounds sweet.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #369
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I have it. It's fun like all the other lego games. Voice acting adds a lot to the presentation. Pretty good original story. Open world is fun, but they could have done more with it, but that's what Lego Justice League or whatever's next is for.

I played the demo today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Being able for either myself or my daughter jump in and out when we want is co-op icing on the cake.

Going to order it from Amazon tomorrow, hopefully it's still $10 off. (waiting on my trade it to get credited to my account)

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-08-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #370
Icy
Pro Starter

i have purchased PCM12 too, but still have not played it, i whish i was a 18 years old kid in college again, now that i have the money to buy all the games i want i don't have the time to play them

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #371
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

Quote:

Is a controller recommended or will the keyboard and mouse be enough?
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #372
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkilla22 View Post
Is a controller recommended or will the keyboard and mouse be enough?

from past experience - i'd argue strongly for a controller i think.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #373
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Played a couple hours of Endless Space, I've been enjoying it quite a bit, but still learning and getting the hang of the mechanics. I really like the research and resource systems so far, haven't figured out how to best go about using them though.

As great as the UI overall there are a few instances where it doesn't give you the information you need. There were a few times when I tried to move my ships from one area to another but wasn't able to and there was absolutely no feedback about why this was the case. I had to find answers by searching online, and even then I wasn't completely understanding why it was happening.

I read the manual last night and it explained some situations when this might happen.

Anyway, I don't have $30, so tell me this game isn't good.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #374
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I read the manual last night and it explained some situations when this might happen.

Anyway, I don't have $30, so tell me this game isn't good.

I figured what the reason probably was for it, but there really should be in game feed back to tell exactly why.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #375
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I figured what the reason probably was for it, but there really should be in game feed back to tell exactly why.

I agree.. although I meant to post what it said and wondered what you thought it was?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #376
whomario
Pro Starter

I bough Endless Space and so far all i´ve done is click through all the pretty screens. I´m not even close to having any idea on how to get started. If anybody ever has the time or knows of a site that really, really dumbs down things, let me know please. Will have a read through the manual and the official forums tomorrow, hope that helps. But a move-by-move type description would be pretty neat.
I never played a turn based game to begin with and while with games like EU or CK i could use my own mix of common sense/historical knowledge, this one is just (pun intended) alien to me.

What do i research ? Do i start off into space immediately ? Do i save money first ?

Will likely be a couple weeks before i can say anything about the quality of the game, so far all i can do is laud the pretty design

Last edited by whomario : 07-09-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #377
Atocep
Coordinator

In your typical 4x game the first thing you'll want to do explore and and colonize. You'll need multiple colonized areas (and 2nd quickly and then a 3rd as things settle down a bit and then keep going as you feel comfortable from there) producing for you before your economy is strong enough to really get into working toward whatever goal you have.

I still haven't gotten all that far into Endless Space yet either, but I'd assume getting a 2nd colony quickly is a priority. Researching early expansion-type techs is generally a good strategy unless you're experienced enough to look for an early war or know something specific that you want to work toward. For a beginner, though, I'd stick with techs that improve colonization options and things that strengthen your economy.

Finding what size empire works for you comes down to some trial and error as it depends as much on playstyle as the game itself.

Last edited by Atocep : 07-09-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #378
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Made the jump and it seems well worth it for ten bucks.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #379
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Lords of football?

INTRODUCING LORDS OF FOOTBALL | Lords Of Football
Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #380
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Defense Grid 2 is on Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...defense-grid-2
Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #381
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Defense Grid did not make enough to fund a version 2, really?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #382
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

looks a bit like the pimped up version of New Star Soccer meets The Sims, doesn´t it ?

Image Gallery | Lords Of Football

Last edited by whomario : 07-11-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #383
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yes - I thought "Sims Football" right away.

Will you be able to have a beer tent though?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-11-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #384
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So yes - the latest patch (or the next one, I'm not sure) will have 100+ new maps, including 3 complete new grand tours.

Simmed stages seem to work good, and I think the calendars help make season planning more easy (although I didn't get too deep in careers in the last version I had to really know for sure).

Let me know if you want me to gift it to you on Steam anytime.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #385
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

This.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #386
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
So yes - the latest patch (or the next one, I'm not sure) will have 100+ new maps, including 3 complete new grand tours.

Simmed stages seem to work good, and I think the calendars help make season planning more easy (although I didn't get too deep in careers in the last version I had to really know for sure).

Let me know if you want me to gift it to you on Steam anytime.

thats great news 3 different sets of grand tours (i just hope it´s really as easy as just putting them into a folder) should be enough for me.
I´ll propably wait until after the steam summer sale and then make up my mind on the game but maybe i´ll get the urge soone, will let you know !

2 versions ago season planning was a freaking pain, having to do everything outside the game with extra tools and spreads ...

Thanks for the Updates

On the Endless Space side of things, the screens are still really pretty (i did manage do go like 5 turns yesterday, so i´m getting there )

Last edited by whomario : 07-11-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #387
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Between Defense Grid and Counter Strike: GO you would think they'd have the revenue to fund Defense Grid 2 on their own. I especially don't like that the project is funded at $250k but they only promise to release Defense Grid 2 at $1 million.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #388
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Between Defense Grid and Counter Strike: GO you would think they'd have the revenue to fund Defense Grid 2 on their own. I especially don't like that the project is funded at $250k but they only promise to release Defense Grid 2 at $1 million.

Yeah -that's a little weird.

I don't like all the video games on kickstarter at the moment to be honest.

Just...bugs me I guess.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #389
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Just...bugs me I guess.

I think it has been great for smaller developers who are able to work on a game full time or avoid using a publisher on their first release. But when it is a dev who had a fairly successful self published first release and also partnered with a major developer on a big release I'm less of a fan of it. Even more so with the way this one is structured.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #390
Nogram
Mascot

Endless Space = 8.5/10

Best 4x space game in a while.
Nogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #391
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it has been great for smaller developers who are able to work on a game full time or avoid using a publisher on their first release. But when it is a dev who had a fairly successful self published first release and also partnered with a major developer on a big release I'm less of a fan of it. Even more so with the way this one is structured.

Agreed. I probably should have been more specific in what I disliked, because it's exactly this.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #392
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Just...bugs me I guess.

+1
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #393
spleen1015
Coordinator

It seems like everyone is jumping on the Kickstarter bandwagon now. Some were successful with it, so others have to try it even when they shouldn't.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #394
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
looks a bit like the pimped up version of New Star Soccer meets The Sims, doesn´t it ?

Image Gallery | Lords Of Football

That's what I thought..
Old 07-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #395
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

On the Endless Space side of things, the screens are still really pretty (i did manage do go like 5 turns yesterday, so i´m getting there )

Keep playing and let me know.. I'm so close to taking the plunge.

What about sins of a solar empire, did you play that one?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #396
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogram View Post
Endless Space = 8.5/10

Best 4x space game in a while.

Expand on that.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #397
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Here is what they said regarding the matter:

"We've heard your requests, read your emails, seen your posts, and we have been investing for a while in a brand-spanking-new Defense Grid engine with all sorts of cool features and abilities, but we don't have enough internal financing to finish the full game development on our own. Knowing this, we decided to approach publishers to see if they wanted to partner on a Defense Grid sequel, and while everyone we talked with got very excited about it, over time, they didn't end up doing a deal with us as the profit model they were looking for was simply much larger than the what indies often make."
Old 07-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #398
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I would argue they are overshooting on what they want to do then. Do some more DLC, or don't jump all the way to the overwhelming engine right away, to raise more capital.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #399
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
thats great news 3 different sets of grand tours (i just hope it´s really as easy as just putting them into a folder) should be enough for me.
I´ll propably wait until after the steam summer sale and then make up my mind on the game but maybe i´ll get the urge soone, will let you know !

2 versions ago season planning was a freaking pain, having to do everything outside the game with extra tools and spreads ...

I agree here 100%, I have the 2009 version I believe and it was a bit hard to use for a non-cycling guy. The new version looks a lot more accessible and hopefully it'll be on Steam sale! It's a good $10 game for me, but not $40.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #400
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I am really enjoying Endless Space so far - it seems really polished and I love the graphics and the way the screens are laid out. I haven't played a 4X in a while but this one has really impressed me as not being like the very dry, spreadsheety games I have played in the past - or at least it has added nice graphics to the spreadsheet.

Only thing that is driving me crazy so far that I don't understand is why my scout ships can move along some strings but not on others, and it doesn't explain why? Is there some kind of technology I don't have yet? If so it would make sense just to not display them at all until I get it.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 07-11-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote