Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #351
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, it's official. The NHL just announced the changes to the All-Star Game:

•Fans will continue to play the lead role in the selection of All-Stars when 2011 NHL All-Star Fan Balloting presented by XM launches on Monday, Nov. 15. The All-Star Balloting process, which is entirely digital for the fourth consecutive game, runs through Jan. 3.

•From a group of 100 players on the ballot, fans will vote for their top six All-Stars by position without regard to the Conference in which the player plays. Fans will also have the ability to write-in a player of their choice.
•The three forwards, two defensemen and one goalie receiving the most votes will be named the first NHL All-Stars.

•The remaining 36 All-Stars will be named by the NHL Hockey Operations Department for a total of 42 All-Star players (3 goalies, 6 defensemen and 12 forwards per team).

•Following the selection of the All-Stars, NHL Hockey Operations will designate 12 NHL rookies to participate in the Honda NHL SuperSkills on Saturday, January 29 for a total of 54 NHL players taking part in All-Star weekend.

•After the 42 NHL All-Stars have been selected, two captains will be chosen per team by the players.

•On Friday, January 28, 2011, a draft event will be held in Raleigh with all 54 NHL players (42 All-Stars and 12 rookies) during which the captains will draft the remaining members of their respective teams.

•First selection in the draft will be determined by coin flip and selections will continue on an alternating basis.

•Each team will be required to select three goalies, six defensemen and 12 forwards in any order they choose.

•After the selection of the All-Star game rosters, the captains will select among the 12 rookies to fill out the rosters for the Honda NHL SuperSkills.

• Each team will feature six rookies participating in various skills competitions.

•Teams will participate in six different skills, including NHL Fastest Skater, NHL Breakaway Challenge, Accuracy Shooting, Skills Challenge Relay, NHL Hardest Shot and the NHL Elimination Shoot Out.

I will definitely watch, or at the very least, record the player draft. It could be a lot of fun.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #352
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I want the captains to ask if they can just set up the parameters for an FOFC style preference draft, cause it will go much faster.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #353
bhlloy
Coordinator

The fun part of this will be the potential for people to get butt-hurt if they don't get selected as high as they think they should. Or even for the captain to piss off one of his own teammates - if Ovechkin is on the board do you take him first or one of your own teammates who is nowhere near as good?

I don't mind the changes and I'm the biggest Bettman hater on the board I think. The game is nothing more than a gimmick (even more gimmicky than most other sports) and I have no problem with them trying to have fun with it. I'm probably not going to watch either way, but it may make it more appealing to the casual fan.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #354
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The fun part of this will be the potential for people to get butt-hurt if they don't get selected as high as they think they should. Or even for the captain to piss off one of his own teammates - if Ovechkin is on the board do you take him first or one of your own teammates who is nowhere near as good?

I don't mind the changes and I'm the biggest Bettman hater on the board I think. The game is nothing more than a gimmick (even more gimmicky than most other sports) and I have no problem with them trying to have fun with it. I'm probably not going to watch either way, but it may make it more appealing to the casual fan.

Agree with you 100% except for the Bettman hating. I own that title. It would be rather comical to see a player get passed over because the captain of his particular conference team has a grudge....
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #355
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

If Crosby is the East captain and does not take Ovechkin with the first pick...

Old 11-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #356
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
If Crosby is the East captain and does not take Ovechkin with the first pick...

I am not sure if there is going to be anymore East/West distinction.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #357
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

My assumption was, for team purposes, they would still choose the captains by conference.

Quote:
•After the 42 NHL All-Stars have been selected, two captains will be chosen per team by the players.

I read that as two per All-star team...if not by conference, not sure how they are determining how to pair 2 and 2.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #358
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If it's by conference 90% of my interest is gone. At that point the only real drama is who gets left out of the last two or three slots.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #359
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
It would take a lot of pretending for this. Although I used to pretend to make the big saves like Bob Essensa...

My best buddy and I had this road hockey game we would play when we were kids. One of us would strap on the pads while the other was the shooter. We would come up with a the Stanley Cup Playoff brackets and then play things out. We would decide which series we were playing and then we'd pick which players we were supposed to be...GAME ON!!! The shooter would start off at the end of the driveway and would be a player from one team while the goalie was obviously the goalie from the other team. The shooter tried to score and the goalie had to freeze it or clear it off of the driveway. Then we would switch teams and do it again until the shooter scored 4 goals for one team. Then onto the next series.

Seems to me Fuhr was unbeatable and Gretzky was unstoppable.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #360
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
My best buddy and I had this road hockey game we would play when we were kids. One of us would strap on the pads while the other was the shooter. We would come up with a the Stanley Cup Playoff brackets and then play things out. We would decide which series we were playing and then we'd pick which players we were supposed to be...GAME ON!!! The shooter would start off at the end of the driveway and would be a player from one team while the goalie was obviously the goalie from the other team. The shooter tried to score and the goalie had to freeze it or clear it off of the driveway. Then we would switch teams and do it again until the shooter scored 4 goals for one team. Then onto the next series.

Seems to me Fuhr was unbeatable and Gretzky was unstoppable.

I am sure Tim Cheveldae didn't last past the first round.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #361
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I figure it can't hurt the NHL all star game. It'd be more fun if they did it right there on the fly, but I realize that won't be feasible. This is really something well suited for the NBA as is an outdoor game and the NHL keeps beating them to the punch on these gimmicks. But then I guess the NHL needs it more.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #362
spleen1015
Coordinator

If they televise this draft, I'll watch it the first time to see how it goes.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #363
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I am sure Tim Cheveldae didn't last past the first round.

Actually, we were both Yzerman fans (we grew up playing in a rink that eventually would bear his name) so the Wings usually did pretty well...but in front of Glen Hanlon, not Mr. Cheveldae.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #364
Galaxy
Coordinator

It's still an All-Star game.....
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #365
bbor
Pro Starter

i'd like the idea more if they just threw all the sticks in the middle of the ice to pick teams.

I mean the all star game is like a big pond hockey game anyways so why not go all the way.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #366
samifan24
Pro Starter

Good, solid team effort win for the Bruins tonight. They scored five unanswered goals against a Pens team that really never looked solid after the first period and a half.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #367
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Good, solid team effort win for the Bruins tonight. They scored five unanswered goals against a Pens team that really never looked solid after the first period and a half.

Excellent third period. Marchand is such a little pest, I love him!
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #368
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

What a disaster. If anything, people will get over the Brent Johnson lovefest. Had that been MAF tonight, Pittsburgh would be melting now.

He didn't have a ton of help in the 3rd, but til now the idea was he was making the big save Fleury wasn't.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #369
Galaxy
Coordinator

Wow....Ilya Kovalchuk had perhaps his biggest whiff tonight.

Unable to connect in regulation play, (I think he shot one puck on a semi-breakaway that went way high and out of play), the Sabres and Devils go to a shoot-out.

The Sabres go up a goal, with Ilya needing to score in order to keep the Devils in and onto the next round. He skates and just looses the puck. No shot, no whiffing, no fancy skating or stick-handling, not a shot that might be a poor whiff. Just LOSES the puck.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #370
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Wow....Ilya Kovalchuk had perhaps his biggest whiff tonight.

Unable to connect in regulation play, (I think he shot one puck on a semi-breakaway that went way high and out of play), the Sabres and Devils go to a shoot-out.

The Sabres go up a goal, with Ilya needing to score in order to keep the Devils in and onto the next round. He skates and just looses the puck. No shot, no whiffing, no fancy skating or stick-handling, not a shot that might be a poor whiff. Just LOSES the puck.

That was an epic fail - Kovy is grippin' it a bit tight by the looks of it...that missed net on the breakaway late in regulation was just as horrific.

Sabres with two in a row...nice wins but arguably against the only teams in the league (Devils and Leafs) struggling more than they are...

Last edited by NoSkillz : 11-10-2010 at 10:26 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #371
bbor
Pro Starter

Leafs are'nt struggling....just living up to expectations

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #372
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola...or down to expectations as it were.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #373
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

PING Dr Sak --Figured you would appreciate this.

After last nights games, Penguins lead the league in fighting majors. Bunch of hooligans.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #374
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Stamkos vs Ovie tonight.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #375
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Stamkos vs Ovie tonight.

Stamkos is a monster.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #376
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Stamkos vs Ovie tonight.

I predict hat tricks for each player, both ably helped by Mike Green, the best and worst defensman in hockey.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #377
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Stamkos vs Ovie tonight.

Uh, don't you mean Crosby?

I'm pretty sure you mean Crosby. I don't think there is a "Stamkos" in the league. Even if there is, I am pretty sure he's not playing against Ovie, because only Crosby does that.

You must be staying up too late playing videogames or something.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #378
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ducks get another lucky win last night, 1-0 vs an Islanders team that seems completely snake bitten. We didn't even get a shot on goal for 18 minutes and the only shot in the first period was a junk SH get it on net effort. McElhinney looked really good, he's really impressed when he's got a chance since being picked up last year.

The real positive last night was the play of Sbisa after being recalled from Syracuse. He's got a nasty streak, put in a lot of big hits was generally responsible with the puck and his skating was really good. Definitely looked like the top 4 all around guy he was supposed to be when we got him from the Flyers. If he can sort it out mentally, him and Fowler will be a really nice couple of defensemen to build around in the future.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #379
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ducks get another lucky win last night, 1-0 vs an Islanders team that seems completely snake bitten. We didn't even get a shot on goal for 18 minutes and the only shot in the first period was a junk SH get it on net effort. McElhinney looked really good, he's really impressed when he's got a chance since being picked up last year.

The real positive last night was the play of Sbisa after being recalled from Syracuse. He's got a nasty streak, put in a lot of big hits was generally responsible with the puck and his skating was really good. Definitely looked like the top 4 all around guy he was supposed to be when we got him from the Flyers. If he can sort it out mentally, him and Fowler will be a really nice couple of defensemen to build around in the future.

I was working last night, so I didn't get to watch it much (it was on, but hard to stop and watch when you're running around taking care of people). I did read about ia fterward, and from what I can tell, the Ducks were just exhausted; four games in six nights will do that, especially when the fourth game is the back end of a road-home back-to-back (i.e. Bettman hates the Ducks). FWIW, the Islanders weren't exactly peppering McElhinney with shots either. It was pretty much beat teams, last one standing gets the points.

Glad it was the Ducks. I'll take whatever they can get. We shouldn't have gotten points last night in San Jose, but then, we should have beaten Jersey weekend before lost and got nothing, so to my mind, that just balanced the scales.

Wish I had gotten to watch to get an impression on how Sbisa did. Glad to see he did well.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #380
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Claude Giroux may be the best player on the Flyers. I also liked the 3 year extension they signed him to for 3.75 mil per.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #381
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Claude Giroux may be the best player on the Flyers. I also liked the 3 year extension they signed him to for 3.75 mil per.

+1

Loved that move he made earlier in the game, unfortunately he hit the post afterwards.

Leno is also having a great game so far tonight.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #382
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
+1

Loved that move he made earlier in the game, unfortunately he hit the post afterwards.

Leno is also having a great game so far tonight.

Leno plays hockey?

On a serious note, the Wings looked awesome in dismantling an overmatched Oilers squad. Howard continues to play great in net, and that top line is on fire. Heh, and people continue to say the Wings are too old. Lidstrom has a 10 game point streak, but he is 40 (and a man) so he must be too old.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #383
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Glad I missed that game tonight...ugh.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #384
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Blues lock up David Backes, 5 year extension worth $22.5M ($4.5 per).

Really good deal for STL. It was a pipe dream, but Backes as Malkin's winger next season would have been gold.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #385
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Flyers sign Jeff Carter to an 11 year extension worth about 5.27 mil per year.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #386
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Flyers sign Jeff Carter to an 11 year extension worth about 5.27 mil per year.

Went to capgeek to see where they were at going forward.

Never realized Laperriere was a 35+ deal as well. It's only $1.16, but if can never return, that stinks for them.

Have to think this is reactionary to what they think will be a change to the CBA coming up this summer.

Personally, I'd have locked up Giroux longer term than the 3 years he got. With Richards, Carter, Giroux and Briere, at least one has to play out of position on wing.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #387
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres beat Caps. I just caught the last 5 minutes and OT. Beautiful goal by Vanek to win it.

Just wish the Sabres could covert those great power play opportunities.

BTW, I wish the NHL had a cap the number of years you could sign for.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-13-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #388
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Sabres beat Caps. I just caught the last 5 minutes and OT. Beautiful goal by Vanek to win it.

Just wish the Sabres could covert those great power play opportunities.

BTW, I wish the NHL had a cap the number of years you could sign for.

I was at the game tonight G, my first of the year. I'm thinking that the Sabres should just pay me to attend games now!

Dirty, dirty goal by Vanek there...just wish we'd see that more often from him.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #389
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

There was already a DGB about the new draft format. Now I demand a fake draft, using a silly plot device of ML's choosing (crystal ball, time traveling phone booth, etc) because it's what everyone was expecting anyways

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #390
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Avery started a mini brawl vs Edmonton. He sucker punched Smid and that brought in a few more guys. Not a full line brawl though. Boogaard/McIntyre had fought twice in the 3rd before this even started.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 11-14-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #391
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Avery is nothing but a punk. Why is he still in the league?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #392
samifan24
Pro Starter

I really wish someone would just beat the hell out of Sean Avery.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #393
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I can think of no image that better captures everything Sean Avery stands for than him disappearing up the runway while one of his teammates get pummelled on his behalf.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #394
bbor
Pro Starter

i'm in!

Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #395
Travis
Pro Rookie

It's really too bad the linesman didn't push Avery back out on the ice. I'm pretty sure Peckham would have done what a lot of people are wishing somebody would do to him.

Probably twice.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #396
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fuck the NHL for their schedule. We won't see Edmonton/New York until next year now too.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #397
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Fuck the NHL for their schedule. We won't see Edmonton/New York until next year now too.

Hockey payers have longgg memories.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #398
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just be thankful that there were no PG-13 jokes this time. Avery has truly learned the error of his ways thanks to Bettman and Campbell. Sucker punching skill players is totally cool, as long as it doesn't get more than 10 seconds on sportscenter.

Seriously, whatever your views on fighting and the instigator and whether it's a good thing for the game, it's that damn penalty that allows assclowns like Avery to pull this shit time and time again. 20 years ago he doesn't exist or he quickly learns that he answers the bell whenever he wants to take a cheapshot at another player.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #399
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
I was at the game tonight G, my first of the year. I'm thinking that the Sabres should just pay me to attend games now!

Dirty, dirty goal by Vanek there...just wish we'd see that more often from him.

I agree. Hopefully he gets that confidence from last night.

Goal by Vanekhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjUMe...eature=related

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-14-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 AM   #400
bronconick
College Starter

Speaking of Campbell...

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=3518

Ah, entertainment value.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote