Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #351
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

FML...off the post!!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #352
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The double OT between BOS/PIT a week or so ago was super exciting. This one just seems sloppy.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #353
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I agree. The pace of the 2nd ot was pretty slow. I wonder if it's a combination of being so up for the first game of the finals and the bad ice.

I think, overall, the Hawks have had the better chances. They are a bit deeper, especially with Horton out.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #354
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I agree. The pace of the 2nd ot was pretty slow. I wonder if it's a combination of being so up for the first game of the finals and the bad ice.

I think, overall, the Hawks have had the better chances. They are a bit deeper, especially with Horton out.

And Gregory Campbell don't forget.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #355
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

damn - hell of a chance there!!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #356
hoopsguy
General Manager

Bruins have owned 3rd OT up to this point.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #357
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

damnit Bruins. Way to blow the lead and lose the game dickbags.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #358
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Wow.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #359
hoopsguy
General Manager

Double redirect. Insanely tough for Rask to stop that.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #360
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Can the Bruins at least win the rest of the games in Chicago so we don't have to hear that crappy 'song' they play?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #361
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Stop yourself Eagelfan that song after each goal is sweet music to us Hawk fans.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #362
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
You really think Fluery is back?

It was one thing when Bylsma said it before he even knew he was getting an extension.

Bylsma: Fleury still Penguins' No. 1 goalie - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Shero reiterated yesterday

Changes coming; Fleury not going - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
I can't see how that is possible.Coach and team have no confidence in him at all or else he would have been back in between the pipes as soon as Vokoun lost a game.Now i am not blaming Vokoun at all...how can you when the team in front of you scores 2 goals in 4 games,but i think he HAS to go back to Fluery after Vokoun loses a game.

I would think Shero is looking to move him.

As much as Bylsma has an embarrassing amount of riches in so far as talent,i think he does a great job keeping all those players happy,which is a very tough job in itself.

The argument is he doesn't hold those stars accountable, and he's not Therrien, who he took over for, so they like him.

I'm not so much anti-Bylsma. I just can't understand how you retain the head coach, both assistants, your headcase goaltender, and believe something will change from what you did with that group the last 4 years.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #363
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Can the Bruins at least win the rest of the games in Chicago so we don't have to hear that crappy 'song' they play?

Daa da-da! Da da-da! Da da-da!

PLAY IT MORE.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #364
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I daresay the overall productivity in both Chicago and Boston will be somewhat...diminished today. Gonna be a lot of tired people dragging their asses into work.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #365
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
It was one thing when Bylsma said it before he even knew he was getting an extension.

Bylsma: Fleury still Penguins' No. 1 goalie - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Shero reiterated yesterday

Changes coming; Fleury not going - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The argument is he doesn't hold those stars accountable, and he's not Therrien, who he took over for, so they like him.

I'm not so much anti-Bylsma. I just can't understand how you retain the head coach, both assistants, your headcase goaltender, and believe something will change from what you did with that group the last 4 years.

I have heard what they said....i just don't believe it.I think they have to say those things due to the fact they may not find another keeper?

I could be totally off here,but i know if i was the player i would be looking for an exit.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #366
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have heard what they said....i just don't believe it.I think they have to say those things due to the fact they may not find another keeper?

I could be totally off here,but i know if i was the player i would be looking for an exit.

Bryzgalov will be available after being bought out!

Yeah, I get it's all damage control. But, when they've already shown they'll change nothing and hope things improve on their own, not sure what I believe.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #367
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think you might be getting kind of spoiled. Your team won the presidents trophy and made it to the conference finals. They are only what, 4 years removed from winning a cup? One of which was decimated with injuries to its stars? Speaking of stars, you only have about 10 of them on your roster. God forbid you have to put up with Tanner Glass for 7 minutes a night!

Frankly, they don't really need to change anything because what they have is pretty effin' good. Their current structure will have them seriously contending every year and that's what it's all about. There are about 25 other teams that would trade places in a heartbeat.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #368
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

As a fan of one of those other 25 teams, I had a very amusing/depressing image enter my head during double OT last night. It was what Dustin Byfuglien would look like on the ice by the middle of double OT. I bet he'd just be standing in one spot trying to poke check people that came into his space.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #369
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Woah! An 8 year, $76 million extension for Malkin. That's $9.5 million a year cap hit.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #370
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Woah! An 8 year, $76 million extension for Malkin. That's $9.5 million a year cap hit.

So does Crosby get pissed now since he is signed for only 8.7? Or does he not care?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #371
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think you might be getting kind of spoiled. Your team won the presidents trophy and made it to the conference finals. They are only what, 4 years removed from winning a cup? One of which was decimated with injuries to its stars? Speaking of stars, you only have about 10 of them on your roster. God forbid you have to put up with Tanner Glass for 7 minutes a night!

Frankly, they don't really need to change anything because what they have is pretty effin' good. Their current structure will have them seriously contending every year and that's what it's all about. There are about 25 other teams that would trade places in a heartbeat.

I guess it's perspective. Winning in the regular season is nice. But they've found a way to fall apart every postseason since the Cup.

I acknowledge being one of the final 4 teams is great. But I can't grasp the idea that things will change simply because everyone is sticking around, and at some point, things have to break right.

Quote:
Dola

As a fan of one of those other 25 teams, I had a very amusing/depressing image enter my head during double OT last night. It was what Dustin Byfuglien would look like on the ice by the middle of double OT. I bet he'd just be standing in one spot trying to poke check people that came into his space.

302 pound Dustin Byfuglien

Quote:

Only reason his cap hit is higher than Crosby's is Crosby signed his deal under old CBA, allowing him to sign for 12 years. That, and the whole '87' superstition thing.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #372
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
So does Crosby get pissed now since he is signed for only 8.7? Or does he not care?

See above.

I have to believe, even if I don't agree with it, Crosby's gives an OK on something like this. I don't feel it's necessary, his job is to play, not make personnel decisions. But, he's also the captain, and they probably seek his input some.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #373
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

Absolutely this. I don't think any team in history would win in today's NHL playoffs with the level of goaltending they have been getting from Fleury the last few years.

I'd put the failure on this years team far more on Shero than Bylsma. Iginla and Morrow as depth forwards is great but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if you have a sieve at goaltender and didn't really do anything to address an average defense
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #374
molson
General Manager

If you're good enough to get to the final four in any sport you're really just some breaks and a hot streak away from winning the whole thing. There's teams who have a good chance to win it all, some chance to win it all, and no chance to win it all. Once your in that first group, there's not really anything you can do to improve your odds all that much. You can make all the right moves but still have a bad series and run into a hot goaltender, that doesn't mean the team building, or the coaching, or anything else was flawed in any way.

Last edited by molson : 06-13-2013 at 11:45 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #375
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If you're good enough to get to the final four in any sport you're really just some breaks and a hot streak away from winning the whole thing. There's teams who have a good chance to win it all, some chance to win it all, and no chance to win it all. Once your in that first group, there's not really anything you can do to improve your odds all that much. You can make all the right moves but still have a bad series and run into a hot goaltender, that doesn't mean the team building, or the coaching, or anything else was flawed in any way.

+1
Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #376
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

But it's 4 years of "But...."

2010: We played well, but we ran into a hot goaltender
2011: We played well despite our injuries...well enough to hold a 3-1 lead, but we just couldn't hang on
2012: We have a lot of talent, but we didn't play disciplined enough to win.
2013: We made it to the ECF, but we just didn't get any breaks there, really unlucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Absolutely this. I don't think any team in history would win in today's NHL playoffs with the level of goaltending they have been getting from Fleury the last few years.

I'd put the failure on this years team far more on Shero than Bylsma. Iginla and Morrow as depth forwards is great but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if you have a sieve at goaltender and didn't really do anything to address an average defense

I get the regular season is different, but the same team went undefeated in March, and in the midst of that stretch gave up 34 goals in 19 games.

And once they did adjust against the Bruins, in games 3 and 4, they gave up 3 goals in 7+ periods. So they can do it. They don't do it consistently enough.

The Iginla thing...nobody in Pittsburgh can figure out. Let's take a guy who's played RW exclusively his entire HOF, 500-goal career...and move him to LW. Should work.

No, it didn't? OK, move him back to RW...let's take the guy who scored 40 last season and 20 in this shortened season at RW...move him to LW.

Still now working? Hmmm...well, I guess I could put Iginla with Crosby, that guy he played with to win a gold medal a couples of winters ago. But to do that, I'd have to Dupuis over to LW, and drop Kunitz to LW with Malkin-Neal...you know, the best line in the league last season? But, that probably won't work...I'll keep trying Iginla at LW.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #377
molson
General Manager

Quote:
But it's 4 years of "But...."

2010: We played well, but we ran into a hot goaltender
2011: We played well despite our injuries...well enough to hold a 3-1 lead, but we just couldn't hang on
2012: We have a lot of talent, but we didn't play disciplined enough to win.
2013: We made it to the ECF, but we just didn't get any breaks there, really unlucky.

There's a lot of teams, the odds are against you winning the whole thing even if you're really good. It's impossible to be satisfied if your expectations are too high. This year, the Penguins were +600 to win the cup at the start of the season and 7/2 at the start of the playoffs. In other words, (at least in the perception of the betting public) the odds were that they weren't going to win the cup. If they got to play the Bruins in 100 7-game series, they'd sweep some, they'd get swept some, but I bet they'd win more than half. In 100 series against the Blackhawks, I bet they'd also win more than half. But to win BOTH (AND the first two rounds)- the odds are against that. Somebody's gotta win, but nobody's going to be so far ahead of everyone else that they're just supposed to.

Last edited by molson : 06-13-2013 at 02:27 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #378
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Why are we talking about a team that is not playing in the finals? Take it to an offseason thread.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #379
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Rask re-fucking-diculous (again) that period.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #380
Ryan S
Quarterback

I don't know why the Hart trophy voters penalised Crosby for breaking his jaw, but gave Ovechkin a pass for a lousy first half of the season.

If Crosby is being penalised for playing on an all star team that had little drop off after the injury, give the MVP to Tavares.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #381
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Rask re-fucking-diculous (again) that period.

Yep, they have to be feeling exceedingly fortunate to only be down 1-0 after the barrage the Hawks dropped on them.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #382
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Bruins get manhandled.

They're never going to win a game in this series if it takes them 30 fucking minutes to get 7 fucking shots.

Absolutely pathetic. I'm 98% of the way to turning the game off and doing something else with my time instead of wasting it watching this.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #383
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

AND JUST AS I SAY THAT...haha

Doesn't change the fact they're getting manhandled. Their 3rd line has been nonexistent all playoffs, and their second hasn't really done much either.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-15-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #384
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I don't know why the Hart trophy voters penalised Crosby for breaking his jaw, but gave Ovechkin a pass for a lousy first half of the season.

If Crosby is being penalised for playing on an all star team that had little drop off after the injury, give the MVP to Tavares.

I'd have zero issue giving it to Tavares. He carried a team for long stretches that ended up in the playoffs, and not the draft lottery.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #385
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The bruins have outplayed the Hawks in the second half of the game so far, but it feels like we're in a psuedo-OT "Next goal wins" already.

Both goalies have been rock solid.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #386
hoopsguy
General Manager

That face off/shot looked a lot like one Kings got to tie Game 5 with 10 seconds left in regulation.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #387
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'd have zero issue giving it to Tavares. He carried a team for long stretches that ended up in the playoffs, and not the draft lottery.

Just to further this, two interesting stats

"Led" by Ovechkin, the Caps went 7-13-1 vs playoff teams.

In those games, he had 9 goals. 23 in 27 games vs non playoff teams
Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #388
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Take the Crosby, Ovechkin crap to a post season thread. Last I checked they are both watching tonight on TV.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #389
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: or for that matter, put it in the regular season thread.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #390
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

As much as I can't get myself to want either of these teams to win all I can say at this point is Holy Sh*t...
Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #391
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Anyone else want triple overtime again? Would be a good way to start Father's Day.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #392
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgghhh...
Old 06-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #394
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

the problem with being in a hospital is A) I can't pace nervously due to the IV currently attached to me, and B) I can't properly express myself when something like that happens.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #395
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
the problem with being in a hospital is A) I can't pace nervously due to the IV currently attached to me, and B) I can't properly express myself when something like that happens.

Feel better. Maybe the result will help with that.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #396
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

"Yeah I was just thinking th ... WTH ?!?!?! Code Blue in Room 619, CODE BL ... oh wait ... he's just watching that @%@#%$ hockey game, he's fine"
Old 06-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #397
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

WTF? How was that not called? Jagr was practically dragging the guy that was holding his stick.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #398
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Thought for certain it was ending in that shift. Though Seguin should have just wristed that shot from the poor angle instead of trying to wind up, that gave the defender time to block.

Last edited by EagleFan : 06-15-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #399
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

This is having the look of one of those games that the team carrying OT (the team that should win) ends up losing because of one mistake.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #400
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Seriously - snakebit much Bruins??

I don't have a good feeling about this game, and I think if they lose this game they have almost no chance of winning the series.