Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #351
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
But young Anakin Skywalker was gifted enough to win a pod race, which was presented as very unusual.

Indeed, but Anakin had been pod racing before that (and built his own pod race to suit his racing style at that). It'd be like, using our example, a young 10 year old Jordan, who had been practicing and training, playing against 15 year olds and winning.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #352
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Indeed, but Anakin had been pod racing before that (and built his own pod race to suit his racing style at that). It'd be like, using our example, a young 10 year old Jordan, who had been practicing and training, playing against 15 year olds and winning.

But he had no training in using the Force and it was very clear that was how he was able to win.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #353
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of Anakin - even someone who was that powerful in the Force still lost in battle to Count Dooku at the end of ATC (him and Obi-Wan, and it had already been established that no one had close to Anakin's midicholorian count). It required Yoda to face off against Dooku - Yoda whose had the training and talent to beat Dooku.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #354
larrymcg421
Head Coach

And I'm a bit confused on the arguments of Rey being a master force user. That's overselling it quite a bit. In this movie, we saw her:

1) Struggle, but eventually mind control a random Stormtrooper.
2) Call a lightsaber.
3) Resist mind control by Kylo, similar to Leia resisting Vader in ANH.
4) Defeat a wounded Kylo Ren in a lightsaber battle.

And I think we're underselling how wounded Kylo is. It wasn't just a normal blaster; it was Chewie's, the power of which even impressed Han.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 12-30-2015 at 10:25 AM.
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #355
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
But he had no training in using the Force and it was very clear that was how he was able to win.

It was? What parts of the pod race indicated that he used the Force to win? I just rewatched part of the scene on Youtube.. it seemed like he was just a super talented pilot.

And if Anakin did used it in small ways in navigation, it seems like that's how Force adept users are able to use the Force before training. Though to override the Force power of a trained Force user without any training is, I'd have thought obviously, a step too far. It'd be akin to Anakin overriding Qui-Gon's attempts to make someone else win - people would be falling down over themselves to yell about how stupid that was.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #356
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
And I'm a bit confused on the arguments of Rey being a master force user. That's overselling it quite a bit. In this movie, we saw her:

1) Struggle, but eventually mind control a random Stormtrooper.
2) Call a lightsaber.
3) Resist mind control by Kylo, similar to Leia resisting Vader in ANH.
4) Defeat a wounded Kylo Ren in a lightsaber battle.

And I think we're underselling how wounded Kylo is. It wasn't just a normal blaster; it was Chewie's, the power of which even impressed Han.

She doesn't just call a lightsaber. Kylo Ren has already begun calling the lightsaber, Rey overpower's Kylo Ren's Force power to change how the saber flies - going to her, not to him. Wounded or not, that's quite an impressive mastery of the Force when your opponent is trained in the Force and you are not. That's the step too far. If she came by the lightsaber in any other way, I may have been more forgiving - though both Luke and Anakin failed in their first lightsaber duel against someone with more training. It would have been more narratively interesting if Rey did the same, I'd think. Though that's a failure of imaginative storytelling, not a failure in how the character of Rey manifested her powers.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #357
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
She doesn't just call a lightsaber. Kylo Ren has already begun calling the lightsaber, Rey overpower's Kylo Ren's Force power to change how the saber flies - going to her, not to him. Wounded or not, that's quite an impressive mastery of the Force when your opponent is trained in the Force and you are not. That's the step too far. If she came by the lightsaber in any other way, I may have been more forgiving - though both Luke and Anakin failed in their first lightsaber duel against someone with more training. It would have been more narratively interesting if Rey did the same, I'd think. Though that's a failure of imaginative storytelling, not a failure in how the character of Rey manifested her powers.

We don't know who tried to call it first. It may have already been set to go to her and he was unable to change it. Again, he was INJURED. Very seriously injured from a really powerful blast. Neither Anakin or Luke faced an injured person in their first duel.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #358
molson
General Manager

For me, Rey's powers were one of handful of fun, new, intriguing, developments the new movie brought to the Star Wars universe. Did we really need a training montage here, or to have her follow in the precise steps of Luke, and know right off the bat that she came from some significant bloodline? Wouldn't that have just enhanced the complaints about this being a re-boot?

Last edited by molson : 12-30-2015 at 10:39 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #359
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We don't know who tried to call it first. It may have already been set to go to her and he was unable to change it. Again, he was INJURED. Very seriously injured from a really powerful blast. Neither Anakin or Luke faced an injured person in their first duel.

Uh... it was going right towards him. Directly towards him. And then did a 90 degree turn in midair to go towards Rey.

Injured or not, Kylo Ren was strong enough to take Finn down. And didn't seem to be struggling in pain while trying to force grab Anakin's lightsaber.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #360
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Again, he was INJURED. Very seriously injured from a really powerful blast. Neither Anakin or Luke faced an injured person in their first duel.

We got several close-ups of the wound during that battle. It wasn't subtle. Obviously the director thought that was important.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #361
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
For me, Rey's powers were one of handful of fun, new, intriguing, developments the new movie brought to the Star Wars universe. Did we really need a training montage here, or to have her follow in the precise steps of Luke, and know right off the bat that she came from some significant bloodline? Wouldn't that have just enhanced the complaints about this being a re-boot?

Luke's training happened in ESB, not ANH. I don't know what Ep8 will lead, but I'm guessing Luke will help train Rey (though at this point one wonders what training does she need - don't get mad so you don't go to the dark side?).
Old 12-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #362
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We got several close-ups of the wound during that battle. It wasn't subtle. Obviously the director thought that was important.

Yes, the wound while engaging in battle. Not when Finn was defeated and he was trying to force grab the lightsaber.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #363
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Luke's training happened in ESB, not ANH. I don't know what Ep8 will lead, but I'm guessing Luke will help train Rey (though at this point one wonders what training does she need - don't get mad so you don't go to the dark side?).

Right, so in your preferred version, Rey wouldn't have used powers here until she had been properly trained. So more of a Luke deal, maybe she's just heroic in the first movie, then gets trained by Luke in the second, then has force powers, etc. Whereas for me, I liked the new twist of someone developing powers without even realizing they had them (which is an assumption, maybe she had training and that hadn't been revealed yet, or the training was suppressed somehow, who knows). That was intriguing to me and I want to see the next movie and learn more about her.

Last edited by molson : 12-30-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #364
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, for everyone saying Kylo Ren was wounded and therefore of course he wouldn't be as strong in the Force, did y'all forget when Anakin becomes Darth Vader in Ep3? He's in horrible pain, burn marks all over, yelling out when the suit is constructed for him. But in the moment, when he hears of Padme's death his power destroys the room around him without a second thought. His physical wounds are nothing compared to his Force powers.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-30-2015 at 10:48 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #365
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Right, so in your preferred version, Rey wouldn't have used powers here until she had been properly trained. So more of a Luke deal, maybe she's just heroic in the first movie, then gets trained by Luke in the second, then has force powers, etc. Whereas for me, I liked the new twist of someone developing powers without even realizing they had them (which is an assumption, maybe she had training and that hadn't been revealed yet, or the training was suppressed somehow, who knows). That was intriguing to me and I want to see the next movie and learn more about her.

It completely pulled me out of the movie. Now granted, I rolled my eyes much harder at "It's not a Death Star, it's 4 times the size of the Death Star) part, but it still made me want to yell out 'you've got to be fucking kidding me'.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:51 AM   #366
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Oh, for everyone saying Kylo Ren was wounded and therefore of course he wouldn't be as strong in the Force, did y'all forget when Anakin becomes Darth Vader in Ep3? He's in horrible pain, burn marks all over, yelling out when the suit is constructed for him. But in the moment, when he hears of Padme's death his power destroys the room around him without a second thought. His physical wounds are nothing compared to his Force powers.

Vader was much stronger that Kylo Ren. And he certainly didn't have to fight anyone of significance immediately after being injured.

Edit: Maybe I'm reading your posts wrong and you're just the biggest Kylo Ren fan in the universe. But even with the injury, he just doesn't rank that high in strength and power at this point. I bet he'll be stronger in the next movie though.

Last edited by molson : 12-30-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #367
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

I imagine she needs the same training as someone who was able to also force call a light saber and direct a torpedo blast to destroy the Death Star. Furthermore, if Leia was able to resist Vader, then I'm sure Luke would've been able to do the same.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 12-30-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #368
molson
General Manager

Personally, I hope we don't get any on-screen Jedi-training. That was most boring part of the original trilogy for me. So please no Luke training Rey in a swamp for 20 minutes.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #369
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Vader was much stronger that Kylo Ren. And he certainly didn't have to fight anyone of significance immediately after being injured.

Edit: Maybe I'm reading your posts wrong and you're just the biggest Kylo Ren fan in the universe. But even with the injury, he just doesn't rank that high in strength and power at this point. I bet he'll be stronger in the next movie though.

Kylo Ren was trained by Luke Skywalker (as Leia indicated in TFA). He turned to the Dark Side and started Knights of Ren. It appears he's being further trained in the Force by Supreme Leader Snoke. So obviously he is somewhat skilled in using the Force - he's not just some dude who started playing around with the Force.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #370
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Kylo Ren was trained by Luke Skywalker (as Leia indicated in TFA). He turned to the Dark Side and started Knights of Ren. It appears he's being further trained in the Force by Supreme Leader Snoke. So obviously he is somewhat skilled in using the Force - he's not just some dude who started playing around with the Force.

"Somewhat skilled" does not equal Darth Vader in his prime.

What a nerdy sentence. One of many.

Last edited by molson : 12-30-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #371
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"Somewhat skilled" does not equal Darth Vader in his prime.

It seems like you are jumping back and forth through arguments when it suits you... you said "he just doesn't rank that high in strength and power at this point".

(my point with Anakin is that his wounds didn't seem to impact his Force power in any real way)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-30-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #372
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

This reads like a response to someone who said Kylo isn't skilled at the force rather than a response to someone who said Kylo isn't as strong as Darth Vader (the highest midi-chlorian Jedi in history as you said).

Old 12-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #373
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This reads like a response to someone who said Kylo isn't skilled at the force rather than a response to someone who said Kylo isn't as strong as Darth Vader (the highest midi-chlorian Jedi in history as you said).

Well that's basically how I read it. As if there is no gradation between being unskilled in the Force and Darth Vader level of the Force.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #374
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Put it this way...

Darth Vader is a 10. Gets burned to bits, in immense physical pain, his Force power in that moment still seems to be a 10.

Kylo Ren is... a 5, say. He gets a crossbow blaster shot. Why would that significantly affect his powers when it didn't affect Vader's?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-30-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #375
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It's odd because the injury part of the battle is really well set up and an example of really good screenwriting. Earlier in the movie, they make sure to include a scene showing the power of Chewbacca's blaster, so powerful that even Han is impressed. It seemed like a funny throwaway moment at the time, but it was a great way to set up what happens later when Chewie shoots Kylo. He was able to survive a blast powerful enough to kill multiple people, but it weakened him enough to lose to a beginner force user whose inherent power is unknown.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #376
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Put it this way...

Darth Vader is a 10. Gets burned to bits, in immense physical pain, his Force power in that moment still seems to be a 10.

Kylo Ren is... a 5, say. He gets a crossbow blaster shot. Why would that significantly affect his powers when it didn't affect Vader's?

Who's saying Darth Vader is still at a 10? I imagine a weakened Darth Vader is still pretty damn powerful. But even the fully powered Vader wasn't strong enough to mind control Leia.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 12-30-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #377
molson
General Manager

Quote:
It seems like you are jumping back and forth through arguments when it suits you... you said "he just doesn't rank that high in strength and power at this point".

Right, he just doesn't rank that high in strength and power at this point, and he's definitely not as strong as Vader. That's not jumping back and forth. That's literally the same point.

Here's what I know (or assume at this point) about Kylo Ren.

He was trained by a great Jedi, albeit one with unproven track record of training. He turned to the dark side at a pretty young age, in an off-screen, and thus, not very dramatic or significant way. This wasn't a "focus of the entire trilogy" turn like Anakin's, this kid just jumped over there pretty much at the first opportunity, before accomplishing anything of significance.

The kid surely has lots of potential based upon his training and bloodline alone. But he's clearly not all the way there yet. He's great at pushing around storm troopers and ordering the deaths of civilians, but we haven't seen him excel in battle or accomplish anything of note yet. He's clearly less powerful than Darth Vader, and he knows that. I get a vibe of general incompetence/immaturity from him, and I think that comes through in the casting decision and the way the actor played the part, which I believe was intentional. They casted a guy who looks and talks like an insecure angsty teenager. (I'm not familiar with this actor and when he took of the mask, my reaction was - shit - this is like a 15-year-old goober.)

Finn was his first real fight that we're aware of, and I think even a mediocre jedi could typically beat a trained civilian inspired by the light side of the force, but Kylo Ren was severely injured and thus, had some trouble. (which, as larrymcg421 pointed out, was setup very clearly). Injury or no, I'd expect him to have a lot of trouble with Rey, considering she had already successfully matched "force wits" with him earlier. They're basically peers. Yes, one is trained, one is (apparently) untrained, but, I think the force can be bigger than mere training, which has been hinted at in many of the previous movies.

Last edited by molson : 12-30-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #378
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He was able to survive a blast powerful enough to kill multiple people, but it weakened him enough to lose to a beginner force user whose inherent power is unknown.

Yeah, it completely doesn't work for me. Because he's obviously strong enough to defeat Finn and be cognizant of the situation to call Anakin's lightsaber to him (before its force snatched away).

Combined with Anakin in Ep3 not being diminished in what he can do in the Force when in much, much more excruciating pain. And one can make the argument that Anakin in Ep3 was much more beholden to his emotions and less in control of them than Kylo Ren was in Ep7 (there is speculation that Kylo Ren was hitting his wound in order to increase his anger, thereby boosting his Dark Side Force power, though I dunno if I buy that 100%).
Old 12-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #379
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Right, he just doesn't rank that high in strength and power at this point, and he's definitely not as strong as Vader. That's not jumping back and forth. That's literally the same point.

Being not as strong as Vader doesn't mean he doesn't have a decent level of strength and power. I mean Obi-Wan wasn't as strong as Vader, but had a decent level of strength and power.

Quote:
He was trained by a great Jedi, albeit one with unproven track record of training. He turned to the dark side at a pretty young age, in an off-screen, and thus, not very dramatic or significant way. This wasn't a "focus of the entire trilogy" turn like Anakin's, this kid just jumped over there pretty much at the first opportunity, before accomplishing anything of significance.

Well, Kylo Ren was strong enough and had enough accomplishments to kill all of the other apprentices at Luke's Jedi Academy. And formidable enough that it sent Luke into exile rather than taking care of him.

And is seemingly being trained by Snoke, who was the one who turned him.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #380
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, it completely doesn't work for me. Because he's obviously strong enough to defeat Finn and be cognizant of the situation to call Anakin's lightsaber to him (before its force snatched away).

He actually looks weak in defeating Finn. Without the injury, Finn would've been toast in seconds.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #381
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who's saying Darth Vader is still at a 10? I imagine a weakened Darth Vader is still pretty damn powerful. But even the fully powered Vader wasn't strong enough to mind control Leia.

The end of Ep3. He's power in Force destroying the medical facility he was in indicates the immense power he still has.

And has any Jedi ever mind controlled any other Force sensitive? As Obi-Wan indicated in ANH, it works on the weak minded. Force sensitives seem to be, apparently by definition, not weak minded.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #382
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He actually looks weak in defeating Finn. Without the injury, Finn would've been toast in seconds.

Would he? Finn seems to indicate that he can handle a lightsaber pretty decently earlier in the movie at the battle at Maz Kanata's. The electric staff seemingly indicates that stormtroopers (or some of them at least) learn how to fight in melee sword combat.

To be fair, I have no real issues in Rey beating Kylo Ren in lightsaber dueling, its in getting the lightsaber by overpowering Kylo Ren in the Force is something that I cannot suspend my disbelief enough for - though the whole, earthquake opens up a hole right in the middle of both of them when Rey has to decide if she wants to strike him down was laaaame.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #383
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Being not as strong as Vader doesn't mean he doesn't have a decent level of strength and power. I mean Obi-Wan wasn't as strong as Vader, but had a decent level of strength and power.

I agree that he's "decent".
Old 12-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #384
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah, it completely doesn't work for me.

Obviously. I just don't understand how you could have liked any of the previous movies. Though you did say something about not being "forgiving" of the original trilogy, so maybe you didn't like those either? I mean, those movies really are a rational nitpicker's paradise. (See Family Guy, Rifftrax, Robot Chicken takes on the original Star Wars movies.)

Edit: ROJ was the first movie I ever saw in a theater, my grandfather took me. He talked for a while afterwards about how it was a "bunch of damn foolishness". I mean in a way, he's not really wrong, but I still love that movie and I love this one.

Last edited by molson : 12-30-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #385
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Obviously. I just don't understand how you could have liked any of the previous movies. Though you did say something about not being "forgiving" of the original trilogy, so maybe you didn't like those either? I mean, those movies really are a rational nitpicker's paradise.

False dichotomy. One can realize the limitations and plot holes of a work, but still be able to suspend disbelief. Just because there is a line where the disbelief cannot get suspended any further doesn't mean that all disbelief prior to line is or was unable to be suspended.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #386
molson
General Manager

Quote:
False dichotomy. One can realize the limitations and plot holes of a work, but still be able to suspend disbelief. Just because there is a line where the disbelief cannot get suspended any further doesn't mean that all disbelief prior to line is or was unable to be suspended.

So, did you like the previous Star Wars movies? Did you think those plots were air-tight?

Last edited by molson : 12-30-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #387
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Everybody has a different line about how much faith they're willing to put into a movie's dogma, or how much they're willing to accept how the rules of movie universe are different than real-life rules. But if someone's "line" is further towards earth-based rationality than another, that doesn't mean that a movie's decision to play with those rules is an objective flaw.

Last edited by molson : 12-30-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #388
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
The end of Ep3. He's power in Force destroying the medical facility he was in indicates the immense power he still has.

You missed my point. Vader is immensely powerful. Just because he could do that while injured doesn't mean he couldn't have done even more without being injured.

There is no evidence in the prior 6 movies that injuries have no effect on ability to use the force.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 12-30-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #389
Edward64
Head Coach

What she says about double standard is true and I didn't notice anything body-wise other than obvious aging in facial features.

However, if I was paid $x million, I think that would be motivation enough for me to tone up.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/30/entert...ter/index.html
Quote:
She first donned that golden slave bikini when she was 27. Thirty years later, Carrie Fisher's back as Leia in "Star Wars," but apparently some viewers thought she'd look exactly the same.

The 59-year-old actor was the unfortunate recipient of a barrage of hateful tweets from critics who felt the need to tell her she's aged badly in the past three decades.

Never one to shy away from a fight, the pint-size princess did not mince words, telling detractors exactly what she thought of their remarks.

"Please stop debating about whetherOR not I aged well.unfortunately it hurts all3 of my feelings.My BODY hasnt aged as well as I have," Fisher wrote on Twitter.

She added, "My body is a brain bag, it hauls me around to those places & in front of faces where theres something to say or see."

While on the subject of body-shaming, Fisher brought up the issue of gender imbalance by retweeting a supporter who wrote, "Men don't age better than women, they're just allowed to age."
:
Fisher has spoken about feeling pressured to lose weight before reprising her role in the space saga.

"'They don't want to hire all of me -- only about three-quarters!" she told Good Housekeeping UK in early December.

"Nothing changes: It's an appearance-driven thing. I'm in a business where the only thing that matters is weight and appearance. That is so messed up. They might as well say 'get younger,' because that's how easy it is."
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #390
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hayden Christensen was such as bad actor. I can't believe they whiffed twice on Anakin's in the prequels. I still don't get why episodes 1 and 2 couldn't have been combined, but episode 3 was pretty good.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #391
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, did you like the previous Star Wars movies? Did you think those plots were air-tight?

I've liked 6 out of the 7 Star Wars movies, including TFA. I'm not sure how many times I have to state that I thought TFA was a good movie.

Might I also point out the irony of responding to a post that claims you are stating a false dichotomy by presenting another false dichotomy?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-30-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #392
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I've liked 6 out of the 7 Star Wars movies, including TFA. I'm not sure how many times I have to state that I thought TFA was a good movie.

Might I also point out the irony of responding to a post that claims you are stating a false dichotomy by presenting another false dichotomy?

LOL, so you did like it? I'm sorry I assumed otherwise from your numerous negative posts which included terms like "lame", "rolled eyes", "took me out of the movie," "bad writing." I'd hate to see what you'd say about movies you didn't like.

So I just like it more than you.

Last edited by molson : 12-30-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #393
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I graded it a 'B' for God's sake!! Mentioned it was a good, but not great movie. And I said all this just this morning (Post #330)!

However, I do find that discussing it more, leads me to think about it more, which leads me to like it less and less...
Old 12-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #394
molson
General Manager

You're a very generous grader if a movie you negatively rant about to this extent gets a "B". Hell, I'd probably give it a B as a movie, but an A as far as my theater experience and enjoyment of it. (And I'm a very generous grader on the latter, I tend to enjoy myself if I'm going out to movies no matter what, with this one it was just even more than usual).

Last edited by molson : 12-30-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #395
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I grade on a 'school' level... TPM gets a C from me.

Besides there are plenty of films which are plot-wise and thematically deeply flawed, but due to other factors (cinematography, score, etc) are redeemed - "Interstellar" comes to mind.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #396
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
That was the whole point with including midicholorians in the story. It was supposed to make the Force into something genetic that could be measured.

TheForce.Net - Midi-Chlorians - What are Midi-Chlorians?

Mitochondrial DNA does get passed on to children.

Now one can surmise that George screwed up when he tried to make it genetic rather than mystical, but it readily appears that he actually really wanted to make the Force into something genetic.

...which seems to be something they are moving away from now (with good reason IMO, one of the silliest things George Lucas introduced in the prequels).

The point is that it's fiction. To wipe it clean from the slate all we'd need is a throwaway line from Skywalker in ep 8 to the effect of 'the Jedi masters used to think our powers came from our genes, the presences of tiny lifeforms in every cell. I have come to know that that's not the case - our power flows from the Force itself' and then boom - gone from canon.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #397
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Where do they mention it? And that's just the piloting issue. The whole she is as powerful as a Jedi Knight after hours of exploring the Force is the greater sin.

Well, she is as powerful as a Sith who hasn't completed his training, and who was very wounded from a gut shot from Chewie's crossbow who they deliberately pointed out many times that it was much more powerful than a blaster.

Also, Kylo had just finished fighting against Finn and also killing his dad. The deck was pretty stacked against him. I'm sure if it was an even fight, she would have fared much worse.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #398
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Are we also ignoring that Rey was force slammed against a tree with such force that it knocked her unconscious, you know after Kylo Ren had got that gut shot (hence why Finn had to deal with Kylo Ren one on one)?
Old 12-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #399
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

On the one hand I was sort of all "why is Rey able to so quickly learn the force?" while I was watching the movie. But then on the other hand when I thought about it, why couldn't she? Someone was the first person to discover the force and how to manipulate it; the first Jedi (or Sith). These people have been around for hundreds of years, right? Why can't some of them be more adept at 'feeling' their way into the force powers than training?

Think of D&D, there are Wizards that learn and train and cast spells from books, and then there are Sorcerers that are all about innate talent and don't need to prepare anything. Why can't Rey be the Star Wars equivalent of a Sorcerer?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #400
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm cool with that. The last thing I want is another movie dedicated to some you jedi-wannabe doing flips and shit in the jungle of Degoba.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote