Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #351
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
As for Tebow, I keep thinking back to an old Dolphins player named Jim Jensen. He was drafted as a quarterback, but once the Dolphins got Marino he wasn't needed. Jensen came a solid utility player, running and receiving and occasionally passing. Tebow could be an excellent utility player while learning under Manning as a quarterback.

While Tebow may be willing to do that the media and Tebow zealots won't allow it to happen without creating a huge unnecessary distraction.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #352
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Nice, but he's not going to wear 18.

Quote:
The Broncos have retired jersey No. 18 but the only player to ever wear that number for Denver said last week that he wanted to make it available for Manning. Frank Tripucka wore No. 18 for three seasons in the 1960s, when he was the first quarterback in team history. After his tenure, the number was ceremonially retired.
But Tripucka is just fine with breaking it out of storage. The 84-year-old Tripucka said in a phone interview that if Manning wants that number, "He should have it. Let's give it to him."

Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #353
spleen1015
Coordinator

I believe it was reported last week when Manning was released that he wouldn't wear 18 for another team. That's his Colts number and he wants to keep it that way.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #354
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm sure number 15 should be available soon.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #355
Drake
assmaster

Is it just me, or does John Elway look a little more like Gary Busey with each passing year?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #356
JediKooter
Coordinator

I think it's just the teeth.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #357
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

At least I get to laugh. I really did not see Denver coming.

So either the Tebow zealots think Manning is Satan since Tebow will be benched or traded. Or perhaps Tebow will instead get a mentor in Manning, thus making Manning God.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #358
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The interesting view of a COlts-fan friend of mine:

Quote:
Elway doesn't like Tebow as a QB. That was clear. The only reason he kept him around was to avoid torches and pitchforks. Getting Manning is the only way to get rid of Tebow and not get tarred and feathered. Believe me as a Colts fan - once they have seen Manning play a few games in a Bronco uniform Broncos fans will forget all about Tebow.

I did not realize Elway disliked Tebow.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #359
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

As for Tebow, I keep thinking back to an old Dolphins player named Jim Jensen. He was drafted as a quarterback, but once the Dolphins got Marino he wasn't needed. Jensen came a solid utility player, running and receiving and occasionally passing. Tebow could be an excellent utility player while learning under Manning as a quarterback.

I believe Jensen is a TE for the Dolphins in Tecmo Super Bowl.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #360
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Is it just me, or does John Elway look a little more like Gary Busey with each passing year?

I'd say a cross between Mr Ed and Gary....
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #361
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I did not realize Elway disliked Tebow.

This has been widely speculated for a long time, a thought perpetuated by Tebow fan Skip Bayless, among others.

The rumor has gotten legs for any number of reasons:

A. Considering how little, solid QB coaching Tebow has gotten (I watched the guy change his whole throwing motion in 15 minutes with John Gruden, but no one has taught Tebow to plant his feet on a short route? Or look for a checkdown receiver? Ever?), some have said, as Bayless insists, that Denver was setting Tebow up to fail, throwing the babe to the wolves and scratching their head that he kept winning.

B. Elway scouted every QB possible in last year's and this year's draft, a resounding vote of no confidence in Tebow.

C. Elway has said, quoted multiple times, that he wants a pocket passer and that he expects Tebow to learn to become one (which hasn't happened).

Finally, Elway himself was once a scrambling, exciting, wild cannon QB. He led come-from-behind victories and had many of Tebow's intangibles for leadership and competitiveness. He willed some pretty bad Bronco teams to the Super Bowl. But he never won until he settled down, became a smarter, pocket passer QB, and got a balanced team around him. I theorize Elway's insistence on a "pocket passer" is based on his own experience: a scrambling wild stallion is good enough to win, not good enough to win a ring.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #362
spleen1015
Coordinator

The one thing I don't like about Manning going to the Broncos is all of the "What happens to Tebow?" talk. I just want that guy to go away. He sucks as a QB. Get him out of the league and let's celebrate something else already.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #363
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

At least ESPN's prayers were answered. "Where Does Tebow Go" is a much better story than Matt Hasselbeck or Alex Smith.

Now they can beat this to death, then start stalking Favre again...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #364
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So what do you think Favre will do this year?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #365
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
This has been widely speculated for a long time, a thought perpetuated by Tebow fan Skip Bayless, among others.

The rumor has gotten legs for any number of reasons:

A. Considering how little, solid QB coaching Tebow has gotten (I watched the guy change his whole throwing motion in 15 minutes with John Gruden, but no one has taught Tebow to plant his feet on a short route? Or look for a checkdown receiver? Ever?), some have said, as Bayless insists, that Denver was setting Tebow up to fail, throwing the babe to the wolves and scratching their head that he kept winning.

B. Elway scouted every QB possible in last year's and this year's draft, a resounding vote of no confidence in Tebow.

C. Elway has said, quoted multiple times, that he wants a pocket passer and that he expects Tebow to learn to become one (which hasn't happened).

Finally, Elway himself was once a scrambling, exciting, wild cannon QB. He led come-from-behind victories and had many of Tebow's intangibles for leadership and competitiveness. He willed some pretty bad Bronco teams to the Super Bowl. But he never won until he settled down, became a smarter, pocket passer QB, and got a balanced team around him. I theorize Elway's insistence on a "pocket passer" is based on his own experience: a scrambling wild stallion is good enough to win, not good enough to win a ring.

Your last point is a great one and exactly why I think the Broncos will be contenders this year. There's a good core there. They need a few more pieces and Elway understands what it will take to get the balance that got him two Super Bowl wins. They have a great line. One more receiver, a tight end, and a little defensive depth...they'll be a fun team to watch.

On a side note, I see the Broncos have two road games I could make it to...Cincinnati or Kansas City. Thinking it's time for a massive road trip to KC, get some good BBQ, get some friends to go, and watch Manning play in one of the best stadiums in the league.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #366
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
So what do you think Favre will do this year?

We don't care.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #367
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I believe Jensen is a TE for the Dolphins in Tecmo Super Bowl.

Ferrell Edmunds FTL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #368
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I heard that Favre went bowling with Pumpy yesterday and he bowled a 249 which he said was luck (Luck...Stanford...Harbaugh?). Then they went out to eat and he had Rice-A-Roni. If they aren't signs, I don't know what could be...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #369
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Get him out of the league and let's celebrate something else already.

That's part of the problem: there hasn't been much as worth celebrating as Tebow in the NFL in a very long time. That's been a very large part of his rise to celebrity.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #370
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
there hasn't been much as worth celebrating as Tebow in the NFL in a very long time.

That people really believe this is humorous.

I almost wish there was a team willing to have him start more NFL games (there won't be) so we could all enjoy his spectacular failures.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #371
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I wish someone would have the guts to try to build a college offense around him.

Although, I don't think he's the particular guy I'd use as the pass/fail experiment on implementing a college offense in the NFL. I think Cam Newton or an RGIII would be better. The problem is, they both have too good an arm for an NFL team not to make them a primary pocket passer. So you do have to have a limited passer in order to try this. So maybe Tebow is the gold standard.

I know this - I didn't like him QBing my team, but I liked the diversity he brought to the NFL. The NFL needs more of that, not less. The more successful these kinds of things are, the better, because they'll get people to take some chances once they see it can be successful. And by successful, I don't mean 45 yards passing until the last 5 minutes of a game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-20-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #372
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The Super Bowl is in New Orleans next year. It would make for quite the storyline if Peyton could lead his new team to the Super Bowl in his hometown. Oddsmaker in Vegas are buying into the hype as they have made Denver one of the favorite to win the Super Bowl next year.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #373
Ksyrup

They had to drop the line because they were getting so much play at higher odds. Doesn't mean they believe it's going to happen; I think it's more a reflection of knee-jerk bettors.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #374
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
The Super Bowl is in New Orleans next year. It would make for quite the storyline if Peyton could lead his new team to the Super Bowl in his hometown. Oddsmaker in Vegas are buying into the hype as they have made Denver one of the favorite to win the Super Bowl next year.

I feel like that's more to take advantage of all the new money that would be coming in on Denver anyway, than being true odds. No need to give someone 20-1 when they'll make the wager at 8-1 regardless.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #375
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
They had to drop the line because they were getting so much play at higher odds. Doesn't mean they believe it's going to happen; I think it's more a reflection of knee-jerk bettors.

I am going to Vegas in May on business. They were showing the odds on SC last night and my wife asked me if I was going to put some money down on the Broncos. I'm thinking about it.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #376
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I wish someone would have the guts to try to build a college offense around him.

Isnt that what they did last year? You seen the flaws to it.

If you mean build your team up like the Ravens did when they won with Trent Dilfer, I agree. However, that isnt something you can just say your going to do and do it.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-20-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #377
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
On a side note, I see the Broncos have two road games I could make it to...Cincinnati or Kansas City. Thinking it's time for a massive road trip to KC, get some good BBQ, get some friends to go, and watch Manning play in one of the best stadiums in the league.
I've been strongly advised by my new co-workers not to attend the game at Oakland in a Manning Broncos jersey...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #378
Ksyrup

Quote:
Isnt that what they did last year? You seen the flaws to it.

If you mean build your team up like the Ravens did when they won with Trent Dilfer, I agree. However, that isnt something you can just say your going to do and do it.

No, they didn't. They didn't let him run it 20+ times a game (that happened in just 1 game). They didn't really run the option offense where he kept the ball a significant portion of the time and either pitched it or ran certain WR/TE pitches/shuffle passes or quick outs ,etc. They ran about as conservative an "option" offense as you will ever see. 85-90% of the time in the normal offense (when they weren't scrambling to come back in the last quarter), he handed off to the RB/FB who plowed up the middle.

For NFL fans, what they ran was certainly different and what they'd call an option offense. To college fans, they ran a pretty vanilla run game. I'm not even sure they gave Tebow the "option' many of the times. I think it was simply a fake and nearly always a hand-off masquerading as an option.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #379
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No, they didn't. They didn't let him run it 20+ times a game (that happened in just 1 game). They didn't really run the option offense where he kept the ball a significant portion of the time and either pitched it or ran certain WR/TE pitches/shuffle passes or quick outs ,etc. They ran about as conservative an "option" offense as you will ever see. 85-90% of the time in the normal offense (when they weren't scrambling to come back in the last quarter), he handed off to the RB/FB who plowed up the middle.

For NFL fans, what they ran was certainly different and what they'd call an option offense. To college fans, they ran a pretty vanilla run game. I'm not even sure they gave Tebow the "option' many of the times. I think it was simply a fake and nearly always a hand-off masquerading as an option.

They were running different versions of the wing-T and single wing. Which other "college offenses" would you like them to try? I think you made the point by calling it vanilla and that is why it wont work in the NFL.

Kind of hard to trap 350 pound DTs consistently or iso a DE on an option in which you are just setting your QB up to get crushed. College offenses are about deception and technique which doesnt work well in the NFL game where the defenses are much more skilled and have the speed to catch up if they were fooled for a split second.

I guess Im not clear on what college offense would work all the time at the NFL level. You cant just wishbone or veer option on every play in the NFL. The defense will just load the box with their best run stoppers and you would be screwed.

You need to gain an advantage in the NFL. You want to run when 6-7 are in the box and pass when 8 are in the box. I am sure you have seen how hard it is in the NFL to gain a single yard rushing the ball in goaline situations. I am not real clear on why you would want to force your entire offense into this situation the entire game. It's not the Minnesota Gophers these NFL teams are playing.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #380
spleen1015
Coordinator

Looks like he's going to wear #18. While not surprised, I would have rather he picked a different number.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #381
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I've been strongly advised by my new co-workers not to attend the game at Oakland in a Manning Broncos jersey...

Not unless you place no value in your cornhole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #382
Ksyrup

I'd rather place "no value" in my cornhole than whatever a Raiders fan would stick in there.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #383
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Looks like he's going to wear #18. While not surprised, I would have rather he picked a different number.

He's just doing what he was asked!

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #384
Ksyrup

Quote:
They were running different versions of the wing-T and single wing. Which other "college offenses" would you like them to try?

How about a variant of the spread option offenses that are all over college football, and that he ran? And no, the spread isn't just some offshoot of the wing-T and single wing.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #385
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

96 million over 5 years? Jesus. Especially if 60 million of that is in the first 2 years of the deal as has been previously inferred. Thats a preposterous amount of money to throw at a guy who may not make it through a full season, let alone 5. If this deal backfires, I think it sets the Broncos back a few years. Even if it doesn't blow up in their face, I think they'll be lucky to contend for a super bowl, much less win one.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-20-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #386
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
They were running different versions of the wing-T and single wing. Which other "college offenses" would you like them to try? I think you made the point by calling it vanilla and that is why it wont work in the NFL.

Kind of hard to trap 350 pound DTs consistently or iso a DE on an option in which you are just setting your QB up to get crushed. College offenses are about deception and technique which doesnt work well in the NFL game where the defenses are much more skilled and have the speed to catch up if they were fooled for a split second.

I guess Im not clear on what college offense would work all the time at the NFL level. You cant just wishbone or veer option on every play in the NFL. The defense will just load the box with their best run stoppers and you would be screwed.

You need to gain an advantage in the NFL. You want to run when 6-7 are in the box and pass when 8 are in the box. I am sure you have seen how hard it is in the NFL to gain a single yard rushing the ball in goaline situations. I am not real clear on why you would want to force your entire offense into this situation the entire game. It's not the Minnesota Gophers these NFL teams are playing.

Quote:
How about a variant of the spread option offenses that are all over college football, and that he ran? And no, the spread isn't just some offshoot of the wing-T and single wing.

There is another huge difference between the college and pro games in the placement of the hashmarks. With the ones in college being wider, that makes for an entirely different set of blocking schemes. In the pros, there is a much smaller difference between the near and far side as there is in college.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #387
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Sure it is. It is a modified single wing offense.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #388
Ksyrup

I'm not sure of the specifics, but I read that if he passes his physical in March 2013, $40M becomes guaranteed as $20M a year salaries for 2013 and 2014. Not sure how the rest works out, but there is protection for the Broncos should he have a problem/setback within the next year.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #389
Ksyrup

Quote:
Sure it is. It is a modified single wing offense.

Did the spread really evolve from the single-wing? | Smart Football
Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #390
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

In any case, why would you want to run an offense like that with a qb that struggles with accuracy on short passes?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #391
Ksyrup

He struggles with accuracy on all passes. Why would anyone want him to be a QB?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #392
spleen1015
Coordinator

One thing I have realized these last few days seeing all of the Peyton highlights, I missed him on the field last year. It will be great to see him back this fall.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #393
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
96 million over 5 years? Jesus. Especially if 60 million of that is in the first 2 years of the deal as has been previously inferred. Thats a preposterous amount of money to throw at a guy who may not make it through a full season, let alone 5. If this deal backfires, I think it sets the Broncos back a few years. Even if it doesn't blow up in their face, I think they'll be lucky to contend for a super bowl, much less win one.

They had 27M cap carry over from 2011. I'm assuming they won't be close to their limit this year either, and will likely carry over at least 15-20 million again next year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #394
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:

Although, I don't think he's the particular guy I'd use as the pass/fail experiment on implementing a college offense in the NFL. I think Cam Newton or an RGIII would be better. The problem is, they both have too good an arm for an NFL team not to make them a primary pocket passer. So you do have to have a limited passer in order to try this. So maybe Tebow is the gold standard.

I know this - I didn't like him QBing my team, but I liked the diversity he brought to the NFL. The NFL needs more of that, not less. The more successful these kinds of things are, the better, because they'll get people to take some chances once they see it can be successful. And by successful, I don't mean 45 yards passing until the last 5 minutes of a game.

I agree. The NFL has become boring and staid..
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #395
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They had 27M cap carry over from 2011. I'm assuming they won't be close to their limit this year either, and will likely carry over at least 15-20 million again next year.

It is actually a great and quite fair deal for all parties. Manning will get his money if he plays and plays well. If we has any issue after $18 Broncos can cut him loose. If he stays healthy and productive then the Bronc's pay him the $20 million in 2013/2014. Plus, they will have some savings from dumping Te-blow as he is due 1.5 million this year 14 million total for 2012-2014. So, minus the $14 million that was due to Tebow means we have total incurred cost of 44million for the first three years. I doubt he is kept for the last two years unless Manning. I expect at least won SB, but hard o predict that.

i would like to see them bring Saturday, Mike Wallace,Dallas Clark, draft a RB, CB, and pair of DTS. They also might be able to get a 3rd rounder for Tebow or get Mallet from the Pats.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #396
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The best kind of QB you can have, if you are a passing team, would be a QB with an accurate arm and be able to checkoff on multiple receivers. It doesn't matter if you stay in the pocket or not. If you don't have a quick release and unable to read effectively (like a Brady or Manning), then you better have the mobility to get out and buy time (like Elway) but you still have to throw accurately to all parts of the field. I don't see Tebow being able to do any of that, whereas many college QBs could.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #397
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im sure it's been posted but

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #398
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

hahahaha
Old 03-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #399
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Add me to the list who says the NFL has become dull. So in that respect, yes, Tebow has been a shot in the arm.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #400
Danny
Head Coach

In retrospect I don;t think Denver was a bad decision for Manning, I just wish he didn't go there.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote