Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #351
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
If Peterson to UCLA doesn't happen, where are they looking? Fedora, Rhodes, June Jones?

Fedora and Rhoades have not been mentioned. The site I go to has said provided a list of the next candidates, but has also said if Petersen doesn't come, the money UCLA is offering is going to bring a lot of others out of the woodwork (although no doubt all with their own risks).

Sumlin seems to be the consensus next stop, but he may not be around when UCLA starts looking away from CP, the way things are going on with Sumlin and the ASU opening or the A&M opening.

Jones is a possibility, as is Bellotti. Bellotti turned the job down in 2007, but is supposedly interested in it now.

There are others being mentioned, but they're not as obvious, so I figue to keep quiet on those until public media comes out with them. No homerun/OMG names, though.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #352
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
EF27, I think I know why that assistants thing came out like it did. Someone I read with historically good sources intimated that CP countered UCLA's offer with an offer that included more money for assistants and easing up on academic restrictions. Supposedly, UCLA balked at the latter, not the former, but I can see where that might have gotten misconstrued.

Definitely, if this thing doesn't happen, it will be a non-monetary issue.

Last I heard, Petersen to UCLA is not dead yet.

Someone I read with excellent sources as well said almost the same thing but with a different spin. They said Peterson asked for more money for his assistants and loosened academic restrictions, but that the money was the issue because Peterson was going to get 4 million a year and despite the booster money and Pac-12 TV money, there was not enough support to get to the numbers Peterson was trying to get for all of his assistants to live in LA.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #353
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Fedora and Rhoades have not been mentioned. The site I go to has said provided a list of the next candidates, but has also said if Petersen doesn't come, the money UCLA is offering is going to bring a lot of others out of the woodwork (although no doubt all with their own risks).

Sumlin seems to be the consensus next stop, but he may not be around when UCLA starts looking away from CP, the way things are going on with Sumlin and the ASU opening or the A&M opening.

Jones is a possibility, as is Bellotti. Bellotti turned the job down in 2007, but is supposedly interested in it now.

There are others being mentioned, but they're not as obvious, so I figue to keep quiet on those until public media comes out with them. No homerun/OMG names, though.

I think Bellotti is the most likely answer. I don't think that Sumlin turns down A&M when he can keep his Texas recruiting ties among other things.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-02-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #355
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Does Frank Solich get consideration for another BCS job at any point?
At age 67? I doubt it...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #357
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Saw that ASU has dropped off Sumlin. I assume because of aTm and they don't want to look like they've been turned down.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #358
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Football Rumor Mill

As some folks in the know are saying now, after Boise State’s Chris Petersen rejected UCLA’s advances, it became Al Golden’s job if he expressed an interest in talking further to UCLA. UCLA, which is waiting to hear from Golden, took a long look at him last time around before hiring Rick Neuheisel, so it makes sense Dan Guerrero would go that way again.

T.J. Simers: An outside-the-box choice for UCLA — Steve Sarkisian - latimes.com
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #359
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I forgot about this thread, posted this originally in the weekly CFB thread.
from espn.com
Quote:
Arkansas offensive coordinator Garrick McGee has verbally accepted an offer to become UAB's coach, a source told ESPN Saturday.

McGee is a former Oklahoma quarterback and Jacksonville Jaguars assistant.

Arkansas' offense has blossomed the past two seasons under the guidance of McGee, and the Razorbacks made their first BCS bowl appearance last season.

McGee has tutored players such as Ryan Mallett -- who was taken in the third round of June's draft by the New England Patriots -- and current Razorbacks quarterback Tyler Wilson, who led the team to a 10-2 overall record, 6-2 in the SEC.

McGee also has coached at Northwestern and Toledo.

McGee replaces Neil Callaway, who was fired Nov. 27 after UAB lost to Florida Atlantic 38-35 and finished the season 3-9.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #360
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Football Rumor Mill

As some folks in the know are saying now, after Boise State’s Chris Petersen rejected UCLA’s advances, it became Al Golden’s job if he expressed an interest in talking further to UCLA. UCLA, which is waiting to hear from Golden, took a long look at him last time around before hiring Rick Neuheisel, so it makes sense Dan Guerrero would go that way again.

It says something about my broad brush feelings of the "integrity of college coaches that I would not be the least bit surprised if Golden left Miami seven days after he signed an extension with Miami through 2019.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #362
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Considering how Miami undersold the potential sanctions they would be facing, I wouldn't blame Golden if he jumped.

I agree with you that they undersold him. Then, why sign the extension? If he left this week and had not signed an extension, that would make sense. What has changed between last Saturday and this Saturday with the potential sanctions?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #364
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The availability of a job he was interested in before that doesn't come with sanctions.

Supposedly he had that at Penn State.

If he leaves, he leaves. It is not that serious. In fact, when I posted about the extension earlier in the thread, I questioned the meaning of the extension. The fact remains he signed an extension with the school knowing about the possible sanctions seven days ago.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #365
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Football Rumor Mill

Where does the Golden rumor come from, DeTox? Golden was a candidate four years ago, when he was at Temple, but he is not anywhere on a lisr for UCLA right now, to my knowledge. And even if he is on a long list somewhere, he's certainly not near the top of it nor already receiving any advances or offers from UCLA.

Because of the money now involved, media needs to just throw out past UCLA coaching searches. This ain't like those. And in some cases, the money isn't there for anyone but a top coach, because the donors won't support a Tier 2 coach at this point.

Assuming Petersen has rejected UCLA (despite the media reports, that hasn't been official yet), there is a number of potential candidates that will next be considered. Golden wasn't on that list.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #366
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It was on footballrumormill.com siting that latimes.com article.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #367
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola

Quote:
The Bruins have already been turned down by Boise State's Chris Petersen, the focus now shifting to Miami's Al Golden. But Washington's Sarkisian would be an inspired choice, despite his USC ties.

T.J. Simers

From Eugene, Ore. -- I've seen all the names on the list of potential successors to UCLA Coach Rick Neuheisel — Boise State's Chris Petersen crossed off and attention shifting now to Miami's Al Golden.

UCLA Athletic Director Dan Guerrero passed word through a spokesman to our UCLA beat reporter Chris Foster on Friday night that he's not talking to Golden, but I presume he meant he wasn't talking to him at that exact moment.

Otherwise someone might accuse him later of not telling the truth.

As some folks in the know are saying now, after Petersen rejected UCLA's advances, it became Golden's job if he expressed an interest in talking further to UCLA.

UCLA, which is waiting to hear from Golden, took a long look at him last time around before hiring Neuheisel, so it makes sense Guerrero would go that way again.

That's one of Guerrero's limitations. He's not all that creative, his two previous football hires thrown upon him by UCLA alumni, while Ben Howland lobbied hard for the basketball post.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #368
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It was on footballrumormill.com siting that latimes.com article.

Yeah, if Simers came up with that, he's an utter tool and has proven over the years he knows nothing and has no sources. He just piggybacks off of other info to write his columns, which are usually scathing and insulting to their targets. Plus, the LA Times has long been a USC supporting paper--they generally don't have a clue about UCLA, particularly football.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-03-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #369
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Simers is following his own lead there--Guerrero even told Chris Foster (another guy who always seems to approach UCLA with an edge, rather than actually doing his homework and writing appropriately) Golden wasn't being talked to, and Simers ignored it, lol.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #370
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Is Simers always this big of an idiot?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #371
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Is Simers always this big of an idiot?

Opinions vary, but...yes.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #372
MrBug708
Head Coach

Apparently UCLA has had some discussions with Dan Mullen? Apparently Mrs. Mullen doesn't like Starksville
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #373
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hitler videos are played out, but this takes shots at UCLA so close to home, I can only laugh

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-03-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #374
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Hitler videos are played out, but this takes shots at UCLA so close to home, I can only laugh

I laughed so hard I almost cried.

And at the end I wanted somebody to say "Moser. Stanback."

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #375
molson
General Manager

I wonder what it will take for Peterson to jump. $1.6 million goes a long way in Boise. I could have seen Stanford, definitely, but I'd be pretty surprised to see him jump to a high-pressure situation that isn't a good fit, where you get canned after a few years if you're just OK.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #376
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA wants a bidding war over Sumlin *sigh*
Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #377
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wonder what it will take for Peterson to jump. $1.6 million goes a long way in Boise. I could have seen Stanford, definitely, but I'd be pretty surprised to see him jump to a high-pressure situation that isn't a good fit, where you get canned after a few years if you're just OK.

I think he looks at what happened to Dan Hawkins and realizes that it might not be so bad staying in Boise.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #378
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Cartman are you hearing anything about Mack Brown being forced out at Texas?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #379
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

Just read that same rumor from Sports By Brooks. I am skeptical but a lot of teams will be freaking out because Texas will pay whatever it takes for their guy.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #380
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I think he looks at what happened to Dan Hawkins and realizes that it might not be so bad staying in Boise.

I kind of wonder if coaches don't get a certain amount of karma or ability to build teams up, and once it's gone, it's gone. Kelly won at GVSU, CMU, Cincinnati, and seems to be maybe stuck at ND. Coach Fran was considered one of the best coaches in the country when he went to 'Bama after building up TCU. Even if OU beat 'Bama on sheer talent, Fran out coached Stoops to near embarrassing levels. Once he left 'Bama, he went to A&M and left there due to a scandal and now coaches at Texas State.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #381
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I kind of wonder if coaches don't get a certain amount of karma or ability to build teams up, and once it's gone, it's gone. Kelly won at GVSU, CMU, Cincinnati, and seems to be maybe stuck at ND. Coach Fran was considered one of the best coaches in the country when he went to 'Bama after building up TCU. Even if OU beat 'Bama on sheer talent, Fran out coached Stoops to near embarrassing levels. Once he left 'Bama, he went to A&M and left there due to a scandal and now coaches at Texas State.

Ya, I think there's maybe a very small elite level of coaches, then a ton of guys that could win championships, or could be terrible, it's all about fit and luck. That latter group is probably every single college football head coach, less a small handful that have no business in that position.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #383
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

ASU met with JJ yesterday. I'm thinking it's gonna happen.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #384
Swaggs
Coordinator

It is hard to see UCLA ending up with a coach that is going to be in the top half (or even 3/4) of Pac 12 coaches. If Peterson will listen, at all, they need to pony up and meet his needs.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #385
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It is hard to see UCLA ending up with a coach that is going to be in the top half (or even 3/4) of Pac 12 coaches. If Peterson will listen, at all, they need to pony up and meet his needs.
I don't think it's about money for Petersen - he already is paid very well, especially considering cost of living in Boise. Sounds like he and his family aren't that attracted to living in L.A.

And maybe there's more to it than that, but I'm guessing the money wasn't the reason Petersen turned them down.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #386
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
less a small handful that have no business in that position.

Leave Derek Dooley out of this
Old 12-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #387
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

It's funny La Tech got better after he left.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #388
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sumlin is no longer a candidate at UCLA according to reports from LA Papers.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #389
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

Nope, there isn't anything much about it down here. It sounds like a continuation of the rumor about him retiring after the Baylor game. But I reserve the right to change my mind if TTRaider posts at Tigerboard to validate the rumor.

DeLoss Dodds shot the rumors down: http://espn.go.com/college-football/...n-remain-coach

Last edited by cartman : 12-04-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #390
cartman
Death Herald

Pat Hill is out at Fresno State. I thought he was gonna be there for life.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #391
Izulde
Head Coach

Don't remember if it was posted or not, but Steve Fairchild fired at Colorado State. Please send Bobby Hauck to the unemployment line as well, UNLV.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #392
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Pat Hill is out at Fresno State. I thought he was gonna be there for life.
Rather surprised by this. Also a bit concerned, as it may mean Washington OC Doug Nussmeier will be a serious candidate. Which obviously would be good for Nuss, not so good for UW - he's done a terrific job with our QB's.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #393
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It's interesting to me that there seems to be a possibility that Sumlin stays at Houston. He's out at ASU and UCLA. A&M is clearly an option but they are going to interview multiple candidates. I don't see any other position out there for him. Interesting to see how that works out for him.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #394
Swaggs
Coordinator

That kind of stinks for Pat Hill. I always liked him and I believe he took a pretty good pay cut (like 300K-400K) a year or two ago to help Fresno State with their budget problems. Lots of schools could do worse than landing him (maybe Houston, if Sumlin leaves?)).
Old 12-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #395
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Pat Hill out was rumored - as a done deal - a week ago. That and the Colorado State guy. I guess both happened today officially.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-04-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #396
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Rumor on the UNC boards is that Fedora has been contacted by A&M.

Last edited by corbes : 12-04-2011 at 07:48 PM.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #397
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Rumor on the UNC boards is that Fedora has been contacted by A&M.

I think that would be the best hire A&M could make personally.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #398
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rebels247 has confirmed that Hugh Freeze has agreed to become the next head football coach at Ole Miss. According to multiple reliable sources, Freeze was offered and accepted the position Saturday night. A 2:00pm Monday press conference is expected to be announced in the morning where Freeze will be publicly introduced as the new Rebel coach.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #399
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA is going hard after Al Golden. If he wants the job, it'll be his. The issue is that he just signed an extension at Miami a little over a week ago
Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #400
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pretty interesting that Hugh Freeze looks like he'll end up at Ole Miss. He was Michael Oher's head coach in high school (for those who read the book and/or saw the Blind Side).