gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
That isn't what the scoreboard said.

Seriously?

October 1st: Clemson 23, VT 3
December 3rd: Clemson 38, VT 10

I mean, it wasn't even close by the scoreboard.

One of the reasons the BCS is stupid is using Bowls to judge teams is very flawed. These teams have had WEEKS off with no football, so rust, injuries, and other factors settle in. There are always very weird results in bowl games.

However, the scoreboard is clear when comparing Clemson and VT directly.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #352
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Seriously?

October 1st: Clemson 23, VT 3
December 3rd: Clemson 38, VT 10

I mean, it wasn't even close by the scoreboard.

One of the reasons the BCS is stupid is using Bowls to judge teams is very flawed. These teams have had WEEKS off with no football, so rust, injuries, and other factors settle in. There are always very weird results in bowl games.

However, the scoreboard is clear when comparing Clemson and VT directly.

Apologies. I was confusing VT and WVU. Didn't read the post carefully enough.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #353
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
It wasn't a fake. The kicker missteps and has no chance at a kick so the holder picks it up and runs with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
No way it was a fake IMO. I think the holder freaked out since the kicker started his run-up before the ball was snapped (which he did a little on the winning kick, too).

As it turns out that play was, indeed, a fake field goal. It sounds like it was called at the line of scrimmage, but only have of the players heard the call. One of the key guys on the play, Koger, who should been looking for the pass didn't hear the call.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #354
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Apologies. I was confusing VT and WVU. Didn't read the post carefully enough.

Well yeah, Clemson is clearly worlds behind WVU
Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #355
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Well yeah, Clemson is clearly worlds behind WVU

See, that's what I was saying, and what I thought CU Tiger was trying to river-in-Egypt his way out of.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #356
bronconick
College Starter

Trent Richardson on all the offense in the other BCS games

Quote:
“I don’t want to be in a track meet, scoring time after time. That can get boring.”

You know what else is boring, Trent?

FIELD GOALS AND PUNTS.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #357
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
So long Mr. Steele. You spent too long in the NFL...show Kevin an NFL offense and he shuts it down (See: Tech, Virginia) show him a gimmick or high shcool offense and he doesnt eat for 2.5 days and then shits his pants on the sidelines....true story happend tonight.

You know what's funny is that before the game I saw a bunch of twitter scuttlebutt that Steele was going to be pried away from Clemson by Tennessee. Was there any truth to that at all? Because if so, I assume there's not anymore.

The ACC sucks balls. I would almost be happy with perpetual 7-5 seasons for FSU playing in the SEC, just because I think it would elevate our quality of play, even if we lost a few more games. It's getting to the point where it's so bad, I think voters would think twice about putting an undefeated ACC team in the championship game over a1-loss Boise State.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-05-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #358
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Trent Richardson on all the offense in the other BCS games

You know what else is boring, Trent?

FIELD GOALS AND PUNTS.

+1
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #359
digamma
Torchbearer

Mizzou should probably get used to a lot of punts and an occasional field goal.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #360
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Mizzou should probably get used to a lot of punts and an occasional field goal.

There's plenty of offense to go around in the SEC. Mizzou's run-first offense should fare just fine.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #361
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Who would have thought that the Big East representative to a BCS bowl would be the one putting 70 points up on its opponent! Of course, they are leaving the conference, but details, details.

Big East has a winning record in the bowl games 6 years straight.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #362
Ksyrup

So many people cite those kinds of stats. I'd like to see a breakdown of opponent record/ranking/conferences for those conference records to mean much of anything in context.

I mean, if your conference sucks enough to send 1 team to the BCS and several more to lower-level bowl games against MAC/CUSA or 7th place AQ conference teams, then you might end up with a better record. I'm not talking about the Big East specificially, but any of these conference bowl records in general.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-05-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #363
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
There's plenty of offense to go around in the SEC. Mizzou's run-first offense should fare just fine.

It will be interesting to see. Missouri played one top 30 defense this season (Texas ranked 12th in total defense). Their first four SEC games next season will be against the #1, #3, #4 and #19 ranked defenses nationally. Add in later games vs. Tennessee and Florida and they'll play six games against top 30 defenses.

On the other end of things Missouri played 6 teams with defenses ranked in the bottom 30. They get one of those again next year (Arizona State), but other than that, no team with a defense ranked higher than 59 (which is Texas A&M).

Obviously teams change from year to year, but your boys will need to buckle their chin straps.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #364
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So many people cite those kinds of stats. I'd like to see a breakdown of opponent record/ranking/conferences for those conference records to mean much of anything in context.

I mean, if your conference sucks enough to send 1 team to the BCS and several more to lower-level bowl games against MAC/CUSA or 7th place AQ conference teams, then you might end up with a better record. I'm not talking about the Big East specificially, but any of these conference bowl records in general.

I'm a Big East guy but this would have been along the lines of how I would have responded. It's not necessarily about "sucking enough" to only have one BCS team but just about the bowl tie-ins in general. The Big East #2 slot can be taken by Notre Dame some years despite having a worse record, which bumps everyone down. I think back to 5 years ago when Rutgers finished #12 in the country at 11-2 and was a triple OT loss away from a BCS game only to be sent to play 7-6 Kansas State in the inaugural Texas Bowl.

One thing cannot be argued though...the ACC's BCS record is atrocious.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #365
Ksyrup

That is true. Don't even have to look at the bowl record - they suck against other conferences in the regular season too. Even the non-AQ conferences and hell, FCS! Pretty damn sad.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #366
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Clemson...

Yeah, ACC is an epic fail in bowl season outside of Florida State and one other who escapes me right now.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #367
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Big East has a winning record in the bowl games 6 years straight.

I know that, but that is because the Big East has very good depth. Their #6 team is usually a very solid football team. Also the bowl tie ins aren't all that great. The issue is that the top level isn't as good as the top level in the other AQ conferences (with the exception of the ACC in many years).

I am speaking as a BE fan, who really wanted to see Rutgers rather than WVU in the Orange Bowl, but I guess I'm sated seing WVU put up 70, even if they are leaving.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Yeah, ACC is an epic fail in bowl season outside of Florida State and one other who escapes me right now.

NC State beat Louisville
Old 01-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #369
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This Clemson performance in the Orange Bowl is the ugliest loss in South Carolina history...until Rick Perry gets there in two weeks.
Twitter

Quote:
Holly Rowe plays better defense than Clemson
Twitter

Quote:
Clemson has allowed more touchdowns in this game than Alabama's defense has all year.
Twitter

If LSU beats 'Bama, Miles gets a $5.88 million dollar raise thanks to Saban.
LSU Title Win Means At Least A $5.8 Million Salary Raise For Coach Les Miles - US Business News Blogs - CNBC
Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #370
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know what's funny is that before the game I saw a bunch of twitter scuttlebutt that Steele was going to be pried away from Clemson by Tennessee. Was there any truth to that at all? Because if so, I assume there's not anymore.

Not so fast my friend, you're giving Coach Doofus waaaaay too much credit.

Quote:
Vols_Beat Austin Ward
Based on conversations today, it appears Clemson DC Kevin Steele remains a viable candidate for Vols after Orange Bowl blowout.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-05-2012 at 04:51 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #371
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
If LSU beats 'Bama, Miles gets a $5.88 million dollar raise thanks to Saban.
LSU Title Win Means At Least A $5.8 Million Salary Raise For Coach Les Miles - US Business News Blogs - CNBC

The Fark headline was something along the lines of "To put last night into perspective, the last time a group of South Carolinians were beaten this badly, it ended slavery."
Old 01-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #372
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Not sure if anyone posted about it but has anyone seen the clip of Holly Rowe shoving that other reporter out of the way after the game? Funny stuff.

Quote:
Yep. Hilarious. She acted with the desperation of someone with her job on the line.

Dan Patrick talked about this on his show yesterday. I guess per ESPNs contract with the BCS, it guarantees them first crack at a coach at halftime, and first crack at the winning coach at the end of the game. So in order for her to get in to talk to the coach (like she and ESPN) was promised first shot at, she had to shove the other reporter out of the way.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #373
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
The Fark headline was something along the lines of "To put last night into perspective, the last time a group of South Carolinians were beaten this badly, it ended slavery."

That's awesome.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #374
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Clemson...

You know what's sad? I looked back at our recent bowl history and don't remember the Wisconsin game at ALL. I mean, not just that I didn't remember the score, but I was surprised to see we played them and what the score was. I don't know where I was that year, but I bet I missed the game because I have no recollection of it whatsoever. Which sucks, because we apparently kicked their ass!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-06-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #375
Easy Mac

Points, counterpoints for BCS bowl season - Pac-12 Blog - ESPN

This has a list of conference records in the BCS.

I find it interesting that this was the first time the ACC had 2 teams in BCS bowls.

The Big East is now the only AQ without a season having 2 teams in BCS bowls.

Taking away the LSU/Bama split this year, the SEC is 15-6, which is as good as anyone outside of the Mountain West.

The Big Ten has had 2 teams in BCS bows for 11 of the 14 BCS seasons. They are benefiting greatly from the Rose Bowl tie in.

The Mountain West has won more BCS bowls than the ACC

Last edited by Easy Mac : 01-06-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #376
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
You know what's sad? I looked back at our recent bowl history and don't remember the Wisconsin game at ALL. I mean, not just that I didn't remember the score, but I was surprised to see we played them and what the score was. I don't know where I was that year, but I bet I missed the game because I have no recollection of it whatsoever. Which sucks, because we apparently kicked their ass!

The punter was the MVP. Oddly forgettable.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #377
Ksyrup

This just in: Dwayne Allen is either a full-blown idiot, or extremely inarticulate:

"Being at Clemson, I have more money & resources than I've had my whole life."

http://
Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #378
Ksyrup

Certainly not going to help perceptions about Clemson.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #379
digamma
Torchbearer

It's Probation Time Again, Y'all!

(For those who don't get the joke, the Clemson athletic association has the acronym IPTAY, for something like "I pay ten a year." The It's Probation Time...is my favorite take off on the slogan, but "I Pay Ten Athletes Yearly" also works.)
Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #380
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

think this board is full of folks smart enough to get it, unlike some others, but to be clear.
Allen grew up in a 4 room house (not 4 bedroom, 4 rooms) shared by two families. At Clemson he has things like TV, Air Conditioning, etc. And Yes athlets at every school get housing allowances and book stipends as part of their scholarship packet. Allen who is known for eating every meal at the school cafeteria actually manages to send money home to his mom.

He is leaving early for the NFL, and told me about a month ago, "family gets a new house the day I get my signing bonus. I will uy myself a house if I am good enough to sty 3 years in the league. Until then I will rent an apartment. He is a good, good kid. He came to Clemson an absolute thug and selfish piece of shit, and he would tell you the same thing. He was absolutely heart broken by the game and the comment is a bit out of context. But if you stop and think about it, he just spent a week at the Westin in Ft. Lauderdale...that's equivalent of rich to the world he came from.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #381
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
It's Probation Time Again, Y'all!

(For those who don't get the joke, the Clemson athletic association has the acronym IPTAY, for something like "I pay ten a year." The It's Probation Time...is my favorite take off on the slogan, but "I Pay Ten Athletes Yearly" also works.)

Thats the NCAA First athletic fund raising organization...founded in '34.
Wanna join?
I know someone who can sign you up.

No Probation.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #382
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
think this board is full of folks smart enough to get it, unlike some others, but to be clear.

So I should be heartened that I was virtually certain it was something along these lines the minute I heard the quote?

I'd wager the same quality of life improvement occurs for at least 25% of athletes who come from the Southeast (I omit the others simply because I'm not familiar enough with the backgrounds associated with some of the pipeline schools in other regions).
Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #383
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Allen grew up in a 4 room house (not 4 bedroom, 4 rooms) shared by two families. At Clemson he has things like TV, Air Conditioning, etc. And Yes athlets at every school get housing allowances and book stipends as part of their scholarship packet. Allen who is known for eating every meal at the school cafeteria actually manages to send money home to his mom.

He is leaving early for the NFL, and told me about a month ago, "family gets a new house the day I get my signing bonus. I will uy myself a house if I am good enough to sty 3 years in the league. Until then I will rent an apartment. He is a good, good kid. He came to Clemson an absolute thug and selfish piece of shit, and he would tell you the same thing. He was absolutely heart broken by the game and the comment is a bit out of context. But if you stop and think about it, he just spent a week at the Westin in Ft. Lauderdale...that's equivalent of rich to the world he came from.

To expand a bit, athletes at schools can get roughly $15k per year that's perfectly legal from Pell Grants (a full pell grant is $5,500), Room and board money, and a clothing fund. Most of it is from the housing fund so it's not really spending money, but just the pell grant money is going to seem like a fortune to someone that grew up legitimately poor.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #384
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Thats the NCAA First athletic fund raising organization...founded in '34.
Wanna join?
I know someone who can sign you up.

No Probation.

Yeah, I typed too fast, I meant to put in alumni association.

I'll pass on the membership offer for this year!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #385
Ksyrup

Klein just got taken out on a scramble that would have been an easy 1st down in the Big 12. SEC speed!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #386
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

June Jones is a hell of a coach.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #387
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Just curious CU - what's your relationship with all these guys? I've seen a couple of posts from you in this vein..
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #388
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

College Football: You Can't Spell 'Lush' Without L-S-U - WSJ.com

SEC Dominance: A Biblical Perspective - Every Day Should Be Saturday
Old 01-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #389
molson
General Manager

Quote:
no neither team is any good, but Clemson is better than VT.

Syracuse must be better than all three then, since they blew out West Virginia by 26.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #390
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Syracuse must be better than all three then, since they blew out West Virginia by 26.

I think your TE is still wide open in the secondary...
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #391
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Just curious CU - what's your relationship with all these guys? I've seen a couple of posts from you in this vein..

Well, I am very close to the program I played there and I am very close friends with 2 coaches. On top of that, a vey good friend of mine runs their rivals.com site. Since I was not working this year, and with my existing relationship, he asked and I agreed to help do some quasi-reporting this year. I went to weekly press conferences and media events and that grants some access to players etc.

I typically spend 2-3 days in Clemson around the athletic compound for one reason or another a week.

Still being relatively young i guess I am more approachable than some to them, and my background gives me some credibility in their eyes. As such I have developed several friendships amongst current players.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #392
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So I should be heartened that I was virtually certain it was something along these lines the minute I heard the quote?

I'd wager the same quality of life improvement occurs for at least 25% of athletes who come from the Southeast (I omit the others simply because I'm not familiar enough with the backgrounds associated with some of the pipeline schools in other regions).

Dammit, CU, why you gonna make me have to stick up for Clemson TWICE IN THE SAME SEASON???!!!

But yeah, I'm with Jon. Seems like an absolute no-brainer there.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #393
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I know Brent Musburger has been doing this a long time, but why is EVERY FRIGGIN' STATEMENT HE MAKES SO GAWDDANG DRAMATIC!!??
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #394
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I know Brent Musburger has been doing this a long time, but why is EVERY FRIGGIN' STATEMENT HE MAKES SO GAWDDANG DRAMATIC!!??
This is exactly why I've never been a big fan of Musburger.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #395
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Another 9-6 game? It's going to take the first half just to shake the rust off the offenses.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #396
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
This is exactly why I've never been a big fan of Musburger.

+infinity.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #397
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
He just gave a perfect example. 9 minutes left in the first quarter, and the punt "is a key moment in the game". Like nails on a blackboard.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #398
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Compare punters? Seriously? The 59 yard punt was with plenty of room to hit a 59 yard punt, the 33 yard punt was trying to pin the other team inside the 20. Apples to Oranges Brent...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #400
cartman
Death Herald

That had to have been a cramp. If it was his hammy, he would have gone down like he'd been shot.