Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #351
bob
College Starter

Whatever happened to the NFL playing games on Saturday once college football ended? I'm not crazy - that was a thing, right?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #352
miked
College Starter

I love the new debate technique...I know more than the person that does this for a living, but I'm on the phone and can't get back to the internets.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #353
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Interesting stat on mike and mike. In the cowboys 7 losses romo has 17 tds and 3 picks yet he is the one who gets all the blame.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #354
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Whatever happened to the NFL playing games on Saturday once college football ended? I'm not crazy - that was a thing, right?

It was a thing. I read somewhere that they're phasing Saturday football out though, but I'm not sure why.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #355
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Interesting stat on mike and mike. In the cowboys 7 losses romo has 17 tds and 3 picks yet he is the one who gets all the blame.

There was also a recent stat that Romo had more turnovers that led to wins by the other team than any other QB by a noticeable margin.

I don't remember if this was specifically "turn the ball over with a lead, other team scores" or just "close game where he had the ball with a chance to drive for the winning score or protect the lead".
Old 12-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #356
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It was a thing. I read somewhere that they're phasing Saturday football out though, but I'm not sure why.

I guess so they can have more games on Thursdays (and maybe Mondays). It should be the opposite, imo. Also I think with the rise of college football ratings (?) and having college games going almost 16 hours (as well as nearly every day of the week, except Thursday), it's to maximize ratings without competition from the NFL.

Today, for example, there are non-stop college games from Noon to 10pm (MST). Where is there room for an NFL game or two? No way ESPN/ABC will let that happen.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #357
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I think leaving the college game alone as much as possible has some benefits to the NFL. A more direct reason is the NFL draft. An indirect reason would be not really wanting to start a competition with loyal fan bases. Early exposure does nothing to hurt future NFL stars either.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-21-2013 at 10:38 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #358
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Today, for example, there are non-stop college games from Noon to 10pm (MST). Where is there room for an NFL game or two? No way ESPN/ABC will let that happen.

And they were all on cable, so I couldn't watch a single one.

Unless something came on late I missed...
Old 12-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #359
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think my beloved Cards will still be eligible for a playoff spot next week if they somehow beat Seattle this week. Have to root for the 49ers and Panthers to lose today though to give the Cards the most chances to claim a spot with a win over the Niners next week. Sorry Panthers and Niner fans, but your teams must lose today!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote