Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #351
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
Nice catch JB

Not to derail this thread, but the PSP too me has been too much of a disappointment - too many ports and not enough original stuff to warrant a repurchase. Nonetheless, it must be nice to sit out on the porch/deck and play a game or two

It's the only way I can get games in. I'm really looking forward to my first business trip as well (airplane and hotel playtime).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #352
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nice catch JB

Not to derail this thread, but the PSP too me has been too much of a disappointment - too many ports and not enough original stuff to warrant a repurchase. Nonetheless, it must be nice to sit out on the porch/deck and play a game or two

I heart my [your old] PSP. I have purchased MLB 06: The Show for it and had a grand time giving the play by play of my game last night to some of the FOFC crowd.

And it IS nice to either lay on my stomach on my bed and play or play out on the balcony.

Back to your regularly scheduled MLB 06 talk.
/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #353
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yes indeed. This game is now mobile and well worth it... getting roster updates is soooo much easier now.

If Madden 2007 is as improved as MLB The Show is this year on the psp, that's all I'll need on trips - not to mention loading music on it as well. So far, MLB has not hurt my eyes but I haven't had one of those all night psp gaming nights yet either.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:10 PM   #354
McSweeny
College Starter

picked this up over the weekend and i'm already totally addicted. After fooling around for a bit I started up a career as a starting pitcher for the Red Sox. After a decent spring they started me out in AAA where i had an ERA of around 5 by July. I was traded to the Giants and managed to get my ERA down to about 4.30 with a great outing on the last day of the season (7 IP 1ER 8K 0BB). I was then released in the offseason. The Mariners, Angels, and Tigers all offered me contracts and i ended up catching on with the Tigers on a 1 year deal worth 80k, a nice raise from the 30k the Red Sox offered me after my initial spring training. Now it's mid-June and i've got an ERA of 2.70 for AAA Toledo and i'm getting frustrated. My team sucks and they won't trade me or call me up and now i've got to spend 15 days on the DL

excellent game. Well worth the 35 bucks i paid for it
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:27 PM   #355
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I had to take my rental copy back to the video store tonight, but I hope my copy from Gamefly arrives tomorrow so I can continue my career.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:40 AM   #356
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm currently doing a pitching career, my hitting one still exists..but I wanted to see what pitching was like. Needless to say, its a lot easier to hit in the game than it is to be a pitcher just starting out.

My guy spent his first season in AA for half the year, he got called up to AAA and then, because it's the Marlins (I wanted a shot at the majors sooner than later) he spent the last two weeks of his rookie year in the majors.

Year 2, I ended up assigned to Triple-A. I bet I could get a call up now if I requested one, but I want to play in the minors because I can start there in the rotation and I can earn moe points, preparing myself for a possible chance to make a rotation somewhere or to work out of the pen regularly with a good team next season.

My first contract was a 2 yr deal worth $60k, so I'm hoping to get a decent pay raise next season or honestly, just to get someplace and have a chance to contribute regularly.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:35 AM   #357
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Todd - have you had any problems getting roster updates? I hook into my network, but I can't see where to get them.
how do you know?

Old 03-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #358
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Todd - have you had any problems getting roster updates? I hook into my network, but I can't see where to get them.

Nope, just got the March 27th update this morning in the Super 8 motel parking lot.

Once you log in, it will automatically download the latest "live' rosters. Choose online, then the option after ad-hock and it should connect.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:10 PM   #359
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yep, I just got it, too.

Still no Kevin Millar on the O's roster - I hope they fix that when final rosters are set.
how do you know?

Old 03-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #360
Philliesfan980
Banned

How is the gameplay on the PSP? Smooth? Do they have a franchise mode?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:14 PM   #361
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Got my copy from Gamefly. I'll be trying to get a spot on the St. Louis opening day roster tonight, although it's not bloody likely.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:05 PM   #362
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Pumpy Tudors

Have you try manager mode yet?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #363
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Pumpy Tudors

Have you try manager mode yet?
Nope. I haven't played the game since Thursday, and it looks like I'm not going to get around to it tonight either (although I had planned to). Maybe tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #364
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
How is the gameplay on the PSP? Smooth? Do they have a franchise mode?

Smooth as silk, no franchise mode. Has season and career, but no franchise. Fortunately, franchise had the least amount of appeal for me.
how do you know?

Old 03-29-2006, 08:55 AM   #365
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Smooth as silk, no franchise mode. Has season and career, but no franchise. Fortunately, franchise had the least amount of appeal for me.

I love the season mode, since in the ps2 version I let the CPU handle all the other stuff anyway. Multiple seasons on a psp sports game, priceless!!

I think it plays very well so far. Plus, it's VERY easy to get roster updates.. I'm going to wait until the opening day ones come out before really digging into my career (season).
Old 03-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #366
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2
There will be no Kevin Millar as he crossed the picket lines in '94 (I think) and is not in the MLBPA.

Ah right - I think that's why OOTP's standard background pic was a shot of Fulton County Stadium with his pic and statistics on the Diamondvision.
how do you know?

Old 03-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #367
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I just got this game yesterday and messed around with the career mode. I plan on starting a pitcher (either SP or CL) because I could never hit in these console baseball games. Where do you suggest I put my training points? How do you get training points? I pitched one game and got rocked - received 0 points. Another game I came in the 10th and got a win - received 200+ points. I’m for sure glad I got this game and can’t wait to start a career.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #368
ahbrady
High School JV

I just started my second season in career mode. There didn't seem to be a spring training. Does that only happen before the first season or did I somehow skip over it?
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:59 PM   #369
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahbrady
I just started my second season in career mode. There didn't seem to be a spring training. Does that only happen before the first season or did I somehow skip over it?

I believe ST is only in the first season.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:43 AM   #370
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Playing on All-Star level how long does it take to be a decent SP. I usually have 2-3 good innings and then BAM I get rocked for 4-5 runs in one inning. I’ve had 12 starts and haven’t got out of the 4th inning yet. Another question - How the hell do you pitch outside the strike zone with out the ball getting past the catcher to the backstop?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #371
FBPro
College Starter

Gonna try the PSP version out via Gamefly. Love the PS2 version so far, just having a bear of a time finding time to play it.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #372
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
Gonna try the PSP version out via Gamefly. Love the PS2 version so far, just having a bear of a time finding time to play it.

Me too, especially with Spring in the air. Took my psp and The Show on the road this weekend to the lake with the kiddies. The sleep feature alone makes this a "must have" when traveling.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #373
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan
Playing on All-Star level how long does it take to be a decent SP. I usually have 2-3 good innings and then BAM I get rocked for 4-5 runs in one inning. I’ve had 12 starts and haven’t got out of the 4th inning yet. Another question - How the hell do you pitch outside the strike zone with out the ball getting past the catcher to the backstop?

How's your stamina? I found that I was able go to longer before getting rocked when I cranked my stamina up to 77. Also, I've been trying to up my "clutch out" characteristic - that might help avoid the huge innings.

And your second question is a good one - it seems that the minor league catchers we're dealing with are completely incompetent. Of course, the computer's catchers seem to have no difficulty handling pitches way out of the zone. So I don't have a good answer for you. Perhaps it has something to do with the Control value of our pitch types? (i.e., we can be controlled outside the srike zone vs. wild outsize the strike zone, and that varies with the control we have over each type of pitch).
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:19 PM   #374
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow, I've switched to the "classic" pitching and now I'm giving up HRs to the CPU teams.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #375
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
And your second question is a good one - it seems that the minor league catchers we're dealing with are completely incompetent. Of course, the computer's catchers seem to have no difficulty handling pitches way out of the zone. So I don't have a good answer for you. Perhaps it has something to do with the Control value of our pitch types? (i.e., we can be controlled outside the srike zone vs. wild outsize the strike zone, and that varies with the control we have over each type of pitch).

I've still noticed lots of past balls both ways (human and cpu). Although it seems there is less margin for error for human players. It also seems a tad excessive (2 or 3 a game at AAA) considering I used to go to ~20 AAA games a year and would see one every couple of games. But that could just be my memory.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #376
SegRat
High School Varsity

For the PSP in career mode is there a way to look at teams to see what they need before you sign a contract?

Also I just found the baseball cards in the game, how sweet. It says I have the tools to be a superstar! Awsome.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #377
JS19
College Prospect

I'm just doing a regular franchise mode and I just bumped it up to All-Star. 3 games in and i've been shutout 3 times. Anyhow, is there anyway, in the franchise mode, that anyone knows of to change certain settings. For example, I feel that the baserunners and OFers run way oo fast. Both for my team and CPU teams. I've searched all the options and can't find anything but maybe I'm missing it. I have guess pitch and location turned off. My god am I having a hard time hitting on All-Star.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #378
jbmagic
Pro Starter

JS19

In all-star mode, you must utilize zone control batting. Even if you time the pitch perfectly, if you do not use the left analog stick for bat placement you are going swing and miss.

The strike zone is broken up into 4 battign zones. Guess the right location to put the sweet spot on the ball.

Its in the Manual page 19
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #379
JS19
College Prospect

Thanks jbmagic. I'll give it a shot a little later. I figured I was doing something wrong because it was just impossible to hit the ball. On another note, does anyone notice how the OFers seem to catch almost every ball hit in the OF. Every game i've played they make multiple diving catches and get to every ball hit to the warning track.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #380
JS19
College Prospect

Ok, I mentioned this before but now its actually starting to annoy me. Is anyone else having this problem with computer OFers? Unless its hard hit in the gap, the OF seems to catch every ball out there.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #381
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
Ok, I mentioned this before but now its actually starting to annoy me. Is anyone else having this problem with computer OFers? Unless its hard hit in the gap, the OF seems to catch every ball out there.

I haven't see this much on veteran level - have you changed any sliders?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #382
JS19
College Prospect

Actually I've tried using a few of yours. However, I don't really see any options on the game to adjust the fielders ability, whether it be speed, agility, etc. And on the verge of sounding like an idiot, I take it sliders are the options? I'm not exactly up to date on my video game or computer lingo, always been the type of guy who just likes to get the game and play it.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:29 AM   #383
dervack
College Prospect

Just finished my first season as a SP in the Cubs minor league system. I created myself as a starter, and after a rough 4 weeks in AAA with a 7 something ERA, I was sent to AA and went 5-2 with a 4.40 ERA and 41 K's in 45 IP. I got called back up to AAA in June, and despite being DL'd twice before the end of the season, I finished the AAA season strong with a 5-5 record (after starting AAA 0-4) and a 3.29 ERA. My strikeout numbers in AAA weren't as good as I only struck out 39 in 63 innings, but the Cubs felt I was good enough to come up the last week of the season and pitched a couple scoreless innings in relief. All in all, a fun season.

I just started my second season, and in my second start, had the longest outing of my career in AAA, going 8 and a third, giving up 1 run and striking out 5. I hope I can crack the Cubs rotation before the end of this season, or I might move on.

Last edited by dervack : 04-05-2006 at 01:29 AM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:25 AM   #384
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Just finished my first season as a SP in the Cubs minor league system. I created myself as a starter, and after a rough 4 weeks in AAA with a 7 something ERA, I was sent to AA and went 5-2 with a 4.40 ERA and 41 K's in 45 IP. I got called back up to AAA in June, and despite being DL'd twice before the end of the season, I finished the AAA season strong with a 5-5 record (after starting AAA 0-4) and a 3.29 ERA. My strikeout numbers in AAA weren't as good as I only struck out 39 in 63 innings, but the Cubs felt I was good enough to come up the last week of the season and pitched a couple scoreless innings in relief. All in all, a fun season.

I just started my second season, and in my second start, had the longest outing of my career in AAA, going 8 and a third, giving up 1 run and striking out 5. I hope I can crack the Cubs rotation before the end of this season, or I might move on.
Be happy you made the big leagues in your first season. I am in season 5 and still in AAA. I have been called up a couple of times but I have yet to play. I also dont ask to be called up.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #385
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
Actually I've tried using a few of yours. However, I don't really see any options on the game to adjust the fielders ability, whether it be speed, agility, etc. And on the verge of sounding like an idiot, I take it sliders are the options? I'm not exactly up to date on my video game or computer lingo, always been the type of guy who just likes to get the game and play it.

There's not. I just haven't seen what you describe on veteran level. I do know changing the contact and power settings will have an effect on how hard the ball comes off the bat.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #386
JS19
College Prospect

I have now adjusted some of those sliders you mention. Seems to have helped, so thanks. My next gripe seems to be in batting average. Right now I have it on veteran, and I am 15 games in the season and I have a team batting avg of like .375. I'm not complaining about it too much becasue I am 9-6, and not scoring a ton of runs, so it is realistic in that sense, but I have multiple guys over .400. The first few games I let it go becasue its the begining of the season so it could happen. But now 15 games in it's annoying me a tad. I will try adjusting some more of those sliders to compensate for this. Is anyone else having this much ease in regards to batting averages?? I was really hoping there was finally a game where you would see realistic averages.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #387
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Playing this season and I have my O's at 5-16 currently. I smell a pennant!
how do you know?

Old 04-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #388
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Can't believe I didn't see this thread until tonight...

I'd read some good things about the game elsewhere, but this just pushed it into the "must-buy" category. The career mode looks like great fun.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:12 PM   #389
FBPro
College Starter

Without a doubt. IMO this is the best baseball "video" game I've ever seen hands down. I just acquired a PSP so my playing time with this game is going to increase dramatically. BTW, the career mode is quite fun and well done. Just signed a one yr deal as a SS/UTL player with the Mariners.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #390
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think I'm at the point where I can also say it's the best baseball console game I've ever had the pleasure to play.

I can't wait to see some screenies and videos when the ps3 gets closer. Talk about a system seller.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #391
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Well, thanks to an early birthday present, I now have this game. I'm testing it out on career mode right now, and all I can say is much better than last year. Not a single crash so far.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #392
GrantDawg

I am playing as a side-arming lefty closer, who has got four pitches but only two really developed at all (2-seam fastball and sinker). On rookie mode it seems almost too easy. Though I seem to be getting behind every batter, I'm getting outs. That's ok for right now, but I'll probably bump up and adjust the silders once I get another career and my manage-only mode going.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #393
SegRat
High School Varsity

Finally got to play in the big leagues in my 5th season. At the end of the season I got to play in 2 games for the White Sox. 2.1 innings pitched, 2 hits, no runs, 2 K's. At the begining of the season I signed a 2 year $600,000 contract with a player option. I decided against staying with them and became a free agent. I am now back with the Brewers in spring training. I have 2 wins, 13 innings pitched, 4 hits, 0 runs, and 13 K's. I hope this is good enough to crack the starting lineup for them.

Best baseball game I have ever played.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #394
GrantDawg

The only negative so far is how slow the game loads. When you come in for a one batter performance, it really sucks.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #395
SegRat
High School Varsity

Finally after a very stong performance in spring training, the Brewers signed me to a 1 year $1,318,670 contract. I am the number 2 pitcher in the rotation. I cant wait to get to work so I can play a game or two now that I have finally made the show.

Last edited by SegRat : 04-10-2006 at 06:06 PM.
SegRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #396
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Are people noticing their "ranking" meter on their accomplishments page going up? For example, my guy is a 3B, has around 350 HR, 2500 hits, .358 career avg, multiple all-star games, mvp awards, gold glove awards, silver slugger, hank aaron awards, and I'm still at rookie sometimes hitting veteran at the end of the season only to drop back down to rookie at the start of the new season.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #397
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Sigh. I can't play most of my DS and PSP games right now due to my hand.
Alas, The Show has been put down until I can grasp my PSP comfortably. I can't wait until my copy of FM Handheld comes in, then I'll have more than 1 game that doesn't require the "proper" grasping of the device (currently all I have is Animal Crossing on the DS).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #398
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
Are people noticing their "ranking" meter on their accomplishments page going up? For example, my guy is a 3B, has around 350 HR, 2500 hits, .358 career avg, multiple all-star games, mvp awards, gold glove awards, silver slugger, hank aaron awards, and I'm still at rookie sometimes hitting veteran at the end of the season only to drop back down to rookie at the start of the new season.
I can't wait to begin seeing this, I just got my PSP and so I'm sure that my PT with this one is going to go up.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #399
JS19
College Prospect

This one is for the guys playing just the franchise mode. Was curious what you have your settings at and the level you play on. Do you think the business management part where you can put mor emoney in to hitting, such as contact, power, plate vision, etc., actually makes a difference?? I am currently playing with the Mets in veteran mode with the guess pitch and location on, I have the computer settings at pitch speed maxed, contact maxed and the power is pretty high, i have my contact and power below normal, but I am still hitting with unrealistic averages. Power numbers are fine, probably below the league average, but I have many guys over or around .400. I suppose I could bump it up to All-Star. Anyone else having this much ease with hitting? This is probably something i should just expect with a video consle game.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #400
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999

Might this vary depending on the difficulty level? I dunno, I'm grasping at straws here as I've barely paid any attention to the meter.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote