Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #351
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Yup. It's why he took a nearly lateral position into the NFL

Well, to be fair, as hyped and high profile as USC is on the college stage, a move from college OC to NFL OC is hardly a "nearly lateral" move.

As for the bad blood, I have heard rumors of this, but nothing concrete. Have you heard more on the premium boards, Bug? Is there a story behind the bad blood?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #352
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
What is it with coaches accepting an offer and backing out lately. This is driving me crazy. At least I know it isn't just Arkansas. This is the second time it has happened to Michigan, too.

interesting read on this, slanted at bowden but it brigs up this point extensivley

http://www.thestate.com/tigers/story/248764.html
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #353
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, to be fair, as hyped and high profile as USC is on the college stage, a move from college OC to NFL OC is hardly a "nearly lateral" move.

As for the bad blood, I have heard rumors of this, but nothing concrete. Have you heard more on the premium boards, Bug? Is there a story behind the bad blood?

Eh, it's not a new story by any stretch. Just that Chow didnt think he was getting enough credit for the offense
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:08 AM   #354
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

That's odd, because what I've seen stated lately is that the offense towards the end of Chow's tenure was more Carrol's than Chow's. So it might not have been a credit thing so much as an underuse thing.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 AM   #355
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
That's odd, because what I've seen stated lately is that the offense towards the end of Chow's tenure was more Carrol's than Chow's. So it might not have been a credit thing so much as an underuse thing.

Well, Chow's QB's won two Heisman Trophy's. John David Booty? Not so much...

*shrug*
Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #356
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Hey Bug/UCLA fans,

Have you heard anything about UCLA being interested in June Jones or vice versa?

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/we...try/257/122007

Quote:
In other coaching news, it looks like Texas Tech's Mike Leach is out of the discussion at UCLA. The latest name to pop up is Hawaii's June Jones, who said to be going after the opening "hot and heavy."

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #357
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Brief but mildly interesting look at the timeline of the Georgia Tech hire.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...line_1209.html

According to the article, a total of eight candidates were interviewed.
— Kentucky offensive coordinator Joker Phillips.
— Connecticut head coach Randy Edsall.
— Charlie Strong, Florida's co-defensive coordinator.
— Georgia Southern head coach Chris Hatcher.
— Georgia Tech defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta.
— Former Colorado and Washington head coach Rick Neuheisel.
— Former Auburn head coach Terry Bowden.
— Johnson, the head coach at Navy.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #358
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, so ...
http://sports.myway.com/news/12082007/v1267.html

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) -Navy wasted little time finding a new football coach, promoting assistant Ken Niumatalolo on Saturday to replace Paul Johnson, who left Friday to take over at Georgia Tech.

The 42-year-old Niumatalolo is believed to be the NCAA's first Polynesian head coach.

"I have observed our program over the past six years and I attribute a large part of our success to the invaluable role Ken has played as the assistant head coach," athletic director Chet Gladchuk said.

Niumatalolo had two coaching stints at the Naval Academy for a total of 10 seasons, including the last six, when he was assistant head coach and offensive line coach.
Niumatalolo played a major role in installing the triple option attack that enabled Navy to set the school's single-season scoring record this year. ...

"It's an honor and a privilege to be named head football coach at the Naval Academy," Niumatalolo said. "I am in the process of putting together a coaching staff that will give us every opportunity to continue the winning tradition at the Naval Academy." ...
A 1989 graduate of Hawaii, he lettered three years as a quarterback and led the Rainbow Warriors to their first postseason bowl appearance in 1989. He was hired as a full-time assistant by his alma mater in 1992 and spent three seasons as an offensive assistant coach.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #359
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Hey Bug/UCLA fans,

Have you heard anything about UCLA being interested in June Jones or vice versa?

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/we...try/257/122007

Bug would know more, but I thought I read somewhere that June Jones wasn't interested.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #360
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Eh, it's not a new story by any stretch. Just that Chow didnt think he was getting enough credit for the offense

The rumor is that Chow was interviewing for the Stanford job at the time with Carroll's blessing and recommendation, and approached Carroll for permission to discuss taking Mark Sanchez (SC's number 1 prospect and the #1 QB in the country that year) with him. Carroll quite rightly IMO told him where to go.

This apparently soured the relationship to the point where both guys said a lot of disparaging things about how much input the other had into the offense.

FWIW, I think Chow was probably right. The offense has never been the same since and nothing would make me happier than to see PC stick to recruiting and running the program than messing with the offense.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #361
MrBug708
Head Coach

June Jones has been rumored to be interested. But he also is at the end of his contract and could be using it to upgrade his facilities as well as make a bit more money.

Dorrell to Duke?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #362
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
June Jones has been rumored to be interested. But he also is at the end of his contract and could be using it to upgrade his facilities as well as make a bit more money.

Problem with that is that the fans here have no faith that the administration would spend money upgrading facilities.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #363
MrBug708
Head Coach

That would probably be the main reason. Rumor has it that the UofH has no cash
Old 12-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #364
Crim
College Benchwarmer

MJ4H, I thought about you and lol'd when Lee Corso gestured at Urban and Houston and said, "two of the classiest guys we've ever had sitting here" or words to that effect. I was hoping you weren't watching, out of fear for your television's health at that moment.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #365
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

If Urban's one of the classiest guys they've had sitting there, that speaks pretty poorly for the previous people who've been sitting there.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #366
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Get off my coach, humpday. I was spoofing Nutt, of course.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #367
JeeberD
General Manager

Mike Price is out of the WSU hunt...

http://www.elpasotimes.com/minersmania/ci_7673990

Price remains at UTEP
By Bret Bloomquist / El Paso Times
Article Launched: 12/09/2007 12:37:43 AM MST

If rumors of Mike Price's departure are an annual Thanksgiving staple, so are his December decisions to stay put.

After taking one call from Washington State headhunter Bill Moos, Price said he's not considering going back to the school where he had his biggest success as a head coach.

"It's been kind of blown out of proportion," Price said. "I'm not going to Wahsington State. I'm staying at UTEP. I really like it here; I love it here.

"(Washington State) is my school, a lot of former players wanted me back, but it's best that I stay here and make it work here."

Price led Washington State to two Rose Bowls in five years before leaving for Alabama five years ago. His successor Bill Doba resigned two weeks ago, leading to speculation Price would return, but he said he had no contact with Washington State other than the initial phone call from Moos the day Doba resigned.

"People had a little misconception," UTEP athletic director Bob Stull said.

"He had so many friends and former players who wanted to see him back. All along he wanted to stay here. He was very cordial and flattered, but I don't think at any point he intended to leave.

"He's embraced El Paso, he loves El Paso and El Paso loves him."

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #368
MJ4H
Coordinator

Very quiet around here since Thursday. Word is that the assistance of a search firm has been acquired. The only thing semi-substantial I have gotten since Friday is that this appears to be a possible shortlist:

1. Bobby Petrino
2. Lane Kiffin (yes, really)
3. Will Muschamp
4. Brent Venables
5. Norm Chow

Really difficult to get any information as many of the blabber-mouths from last week have caught a case of STFU in a major way.

Last edited by MJ4H : 12-09-2007 at 04:14 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #369
Swaggs
Coordinator

I cannot see Petrino leaving the Falcons yet. His NFL contract calls for him to make a higher annual salary than Nick Saban, so unless he is completely miserable (and even then, I suspect he'd gut it out for another year at that salary), I think he stays in the NFL.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #370
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Very quiet around here since Thursday. Word is that the assistance of a search firm has been acquired. The only thing semi-substantial I have gotten since Friday is that this appears to be a possible shortlist:

1. Bobby Petrino
2. Lane Kiffin (yes, really)
3. Will Muschamp
4. Brent Venables
5. Norm Chow

Really difficult to get any information as many of the blabber-mouths from last week have caught a case of STFU in a major way.

Lane Kiffen's name has been mentioned quite a bit for the Arkansas job on the USC boards as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #371
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I cannot see Petrino leaving the Falcons yet. His NFL contract calls for him to make a higher annual salary than Nick Saban, so unless he is completely miserable (and even then, I suspect he'd gut it out for another year at that salary), I think he stays in the NFL.

He is miserable and wants out. He contacted Arkansas about the opening.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #372
MJ4H
Coordinator

In fact the only one I think might not be an actual candidate on my list is Norm Chow. The order I put them in seems to be the right order, too.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #373
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
In fact the only one I think might not be an actual candidate on my list is Norm Chow. The order I put them in seems to be the right order, too.

So who hires their coach first, Michigan or Arkansas
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #374
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
So who hires their coach first, Michigan or Arkansas

Duke.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #375
Swaggs
Coordinator

If I'm Arkansas, the only names on that list that excite me are Petrino and, possibly, Kiffin.

Edit to add: I appreciate Chow's X and O's, but I have repeatedly heard that he does not have the right personality to recruit and/or schmooze with boosters.

Last edited by Swaggs : 12-09-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:31 PM   #376
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Duke.

Well put.

Well, if Michigan hasn't hired anyone by Christmas, it's probably Miles. Rumor is they formally offered him 2.5 million per year this weekend which is about what he makes at LSU right now.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #377
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Duke.

Have you heard anything about Gailey's future plans?

It seems like he is the type of guy that a lot of programs could use to come in and stabilize things (as opposed to taking an already established program to the "next level"). As a Big East fan, I'd like to see him try and get Syracuse back on the map.

I'm half wondering if he is waiting for the NFL season to end and planning to join back up with Bill Cowher--maybe in Carolina.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #378
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
If I'm Arkansas, the only names on that list that excite me are Petrino and, possibly, Kiffin.

Edit to add: I appreciate Chow's X and O's, but I have repeatedly heard that he does not have the right personality to recruit and/or schmooze with boosters.

We are hearing Petrino is way more likely than the rest of that list. I would be pleased with any of the 4, but Petrino is, to me at least, #1. Will Muschamp is intriguing. Don't know much about Venables, frankly, but have heard good things.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #379
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Have you heard anything about Gailey's future plans?

Nothing that seems remotely "official". I've seen his name connected with Duke, but my own guess would be an assistant's job in the NFL.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #380
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
He is miserable and wants out. He contacted Arkansas about the opening.

I'm miserable too and I'll be happy to contact Arkansas as well.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #381
MJ4H
Coordinator

Cool, we have an opening for head coach.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #382
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, so ...
http://sports.myway.com/news/12082007/v1267.html

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) -Navy wasted little time finding a new football coach, promoting assistant Ken Niumatalolo on Saturday to replace Paul Johnson, who left Friday to take over at Georgia Tech.

The 42-year-old Niumatalolo is believed to be the NCAA's first Polynesian head coach.

"I have observed our program over the past six years and I attribute a large part of our success to the invaluable role Ken has played as the assistant head coach," athletic director Chet Gladchuk said.

Niumatalolo had two coaching stints at the Naval Academy for a total of 10 seasons, including the last six, when he was assistant head coach and offensive line coach.
Niumatalolo played a major role in installing the triple option attack that enabled Navy to set the school's single-season scoring record this year. ...

"It's an honor and a privilege to be named head football coach at the Naval Academy," Niumatalolo said. "I am in the process of putting together a coaching staff that will give us every opportunity to continue the winning tradition at the Naval Academy." ...
A 1989 graduate of Hawaii, he lettered three years as a quarterback and led the Rainbow Warriors to their first postseason bowl appearance in 1989. He was hired as a full-time assistant by his alma mater in 1992 and spent three seasons as an offensive assistant coach.

I'm surprised that none of the other Hawaii fans on this board have commented on this. The Hawaii spread option attack from the late 80s through to the early 90s was a sight to behold...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #383
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned but Jimbo Fisher has been offically announced as Florida States Head Coach In Waiting.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #384
MrBug708
Head Coach

Looks like WSU has found a coach in the form of Paul Wulff of Eastern Washington. He is also an alum
Old 12-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #385
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

A bigger story has come up on the boards about what happened. Apparently Carroll was upset at the credit Chow was getting on offense. People were calling it Chow's offense and Carroll was correcting them saying it was USC's defense that was winning games. Then Pete Carroll brought in Steve Sarkisian from the Raiders and Lane Kiffin (as a favor to his father). The straw that ended the relationship though was Carroll naming Sark OC and wanting to "promote" Chow to Assistant HC in which Chow saw as more of a demotion. I guess it was Carroll wanting more control over the offense. I guess it was a power struggle in which the head coach won but probably at the expense of another title or two
Old 12-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #386
MJ4H
Coordinator

People around here are saying Petrino and Kiffin are out and it is probably Will Muschamp (with Derek Dooley as OC). I'm fine with this, too. The only potential hire we have been close to making that I didn't like was Tommy Bowden. Maybe someone will actually sign soon. Word is this should go down in the next day or two.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #387
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
People around here are saying Petrino and Kiffin are out and it is probably Will Muschamp (with Derek Dooley as OC). I'm fine with this, too. The only potential hire we have been close to making that I didn't like was Tommy Bowden. Maybe someone will actually sign soon. Word is this should go down in the next day or two.

What happened to Malzhan?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:38 AM   #388
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Looks like WSU has found a coach in the form of Paul Wulff of Eastern Washington. He is also an alum

Good choice. I'm pleased.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #389
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
What happened to Malzhan?

It is difficult to say whether he is being seriously considered at this point or not. I get the feeling at present he is a fallback (and we would have to go through a lot of coaches to get to the fallback position). Just this morning, Gary Patterson's name is being tossed around by some. It still looks like either Muschamp or Venables at this point, but the fact that Long is either on record or might as well be as wanting a head coach over an assistant lends some credence to the Patterson rumors.

This is very similar to our basketball search. There was all kinds of information coming out until Altman accepted, showed up, and turned tail. After that, bam it was dead quiet. Same thing here. After Grobe was practically on the plane and changed his mind, it has gone VERY quiet. The only tidbits we are getting are very tentative, and a lot of times not much more than deductions from less information.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #390
Swaggs
Coordinator

Patterson is a name I had not heard related to the Arkansas job, but I think he'd be an excellent fit. He's experienced (made the rookie head coaching mistakes, already) and, presumably, knows the recruiting territory well.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #391
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Nuts.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #392
st.cronin
General Manager

Is Gary Patterson the TCU coach? I have the feeling he's over 60, am I wrong?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #393
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Les Miles is talking to Michigan again. What a debacle. Go ahead and hire the guy already!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #394
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Is Gary Patterson the TCU coach? I have the feeling he's over 60, am I wrong?

Yes, he's the TCU coach, but he's in his 40s,
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #395
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivals article
Strong sources are indicating that Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp will be the new head coach at Arkansas. Muschamp has experience coaching all over the southeast, in the SEC and in the NFL. He is regarded by many as one of the bright young coaches in all of football, and an announcement is expect very soon.

Yes I know it isn't reliable, but so you guys can see what the rumors are around here right now.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #396
Swaggs
Coordinator

I have very little doubt that Miles, Michigan, and LSU are going to string this out until after the BCS games and then Miles will go to Michigan.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #397
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'm thinking that as well. The buyout is only $1.25 mil. Michigan can afford that easily if Miles decides to come home.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #398
st.cronin
General Manager

Would anybody else be delighted if SMU decided to hire Neuhisel?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #399
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Miles releases statement saying he is coaching LSU next season. I am pretty sure hes staying or else he's being forced by LSU to play villian when he does leave.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #400
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Would anybody else be delighted if SMU decided to hire Neuhisel?

I'd be more delighted if they hired Greg Davis, so that Major Applewhite could be the OC for the Horns.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote