Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #351
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Wonder if that's game, set and match in Goodell vs Vilma.. apparently today at the follow up meeting, the NFL handed Vila a sworn statement from coach Gregg Williams that Vilma had offered $10,000 to anyone who put Favre out of the game.

I wonder what Family Guy quote he's going to tweet out this time.

Maybe, "Mama, mama, mommy, mommy..." -stewie griffin
Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #352
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Speaking of 49ers DB's Goldson might be the most underrated player in the league. I knew he was decent and made a pro bowl but he's an integral part of that defense - great player

He's good, not extraordinarily great. The DL puts so much pressure and the linebacking corps is so good at cleaning up that Goldston has the ability to freelance and go for more big plays than he might in a traditional defense.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #353
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I finally saw the play in question here and I don't see what the big deal is. First, the victory formation pulls everyone in to block to prevent things like this from happening. Second, it was very obvious pre-snap that Tampa was going to go after the ball. The Giants players were caught offguard and Eli was knocked to the ground because of it.

If Tampa makes it clear they intend to play to the final whistle then the Giants can't take the final play off and then get mad because their QB got hit.

I agree. They were only down a TD, and while it's pretty rare there HAVE been fumble recoveries in cases like this. Someone knocks it out on the snap or whatever, someone else picks it up and runs it back. If they don't want them to play, why run the play at all? If that's the way folks want it, then when it gets to the point that the offense can just kneel and run out the clock they should end the game. If they are going to make them snap it, the defense sure has the right to try and get it back. It's up to the offense to properly block.

Is Tampa Bay lulling them into some false sense of security any different than the fake spike play QBs pull periodically?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #354
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I agree. They were only down a TD, and while it's pretty rare there HAVE been fumble recoveries in cases like this. Someone knocks it out on the snap or whatever, someone else picks it up and runs it back. If they don't want them to play, why run the play at all? If that's the way folks want it, then when it gets to the point that the offense can just kneel and run out the clock they should end the game. If they are going to make them snap it, the defense sure has the right to try and get it back. It's up to the offense to properly block.

Is Tampa Bay lulling them into some false sense of security any different than the fake spike play QBs pull periodically?

Be alert for a snap and go in hard at the lineman, but I'm not really for going after the QB's legs like that. I hate Coughlin and am not really a fan of the Giants or their attitudes. . . but this? I'm sorry, this was wrong. I don't think it was good form at all.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #355
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Manning almost picked off on the first pass, decides that's not good enough and gets picked off on the 2nd play.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #356
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Be alert for a snap and go in hard at the lineman, but I'm not really for going after the QB's legs like that. I hate Coughlin and am not really a fan of the Giants or their attitudes. . . but this? I'm sorry, this was wrong. I don't think it was good form at all.

If they were going after Eli's legs I would agree. But that was clearly not the case. To even suggest it was malicious is totally unfair. Watch the play again.

And yes, the Bucs were clearly not lined up in a non-chalant stance. They were ready to drive the line and the Giants didn't prepare for it. If Eli were to have gotten hurt it would be because his own lineman were getting driven into him.

I admit that I wasn't expecting the defense to do that, but I can see why it's a viable option...particularly in the NFL when veteran head coaches proclaim they "would never do that".

Check out this failed kneel down for a rationale why you should never give up.

Victory Formation Fail (Troy at Oklahoma State - 2010) - YouTube
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #357
whomario
Pro Starter

how is that a TD ? I mean, the ball wasn´t even close to being over the line there.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #358
whomario
Pro Starter

Wow, what a rough start for Manning and the Broncos
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 09-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #359
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Manning's picked again.

Come on, Atlanta, get Roddy White twenty yards so I can win fantasy :P
Old 09-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #360
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Manning picked off again.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #361
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Manning forcing the ball tonight.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #362
whomario
Pro Starter

damn, this is unreal ... All those throws really never had a chance to reach a receiver either

Last edited by whomario : 09-17-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #363
Danny
Head Coach

Tebow wouldn't have three picks
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #364
bhlloy
Coordinator

Manning obviously thinks his arm is stronger than it is
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #365
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So, can I claim victory for thinking Manning would get destroyed by competent corner?

Last edited by stevew : 09-17-2012 at 08:16 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #366
bhlloy
Coordinator

Those refs look like they are about to run away and cry
Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #367
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Tebow wouldn´t have had 3 passes yet !

I honestly have a real problem with the attitude towards theese refs by the media as well as players/coaches. Bitch to the NFL, not the guys stepping into a difficult situation to make theese games even possible.

Last edited by whomario : 09-17-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #368
bhlloy
Coordinator

That's a terrible call. There's clearly enough contact before the pass is tipped for there to be a flag. That should not be reviewable any more than a thousand other judgement calls a red could make.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #369
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So, can I claim victory for thinking Manning would get destroyed by competent corner?

Not really. He's had some horrible passes, but I don't think a competent corner has picked him off yet. He's been picked off by two safties and a corner in deep coverage playing like a safety.

He's trying to throw the ball into places it cannot be thrown. It's more bad decisions than arm strength or anything physical. We'll see how he finishes tonight out. Beyond that, we'll see how he looks in week 9 or 10.

Ridiculous that the Broncos had to waste a challenge there. I think the Falcons are dropping a lot of guys deep at the snap and Peyton is just now figuring it out. There will be more runs and if Atlanta keeps dropping deep, those will be big runs.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #370
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Tebow's accuracy is so bad, he can't even throw picks.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #371
wade moore
lolzcat

Time to see if the NFL talked to these guys about controlling a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #372
whomario
Pro Starter

can someone explain to me why in the NFL guys throwing punches don´t get ejected more often ?

Last edited by whomario : 09-17-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #373
wade moore
lolzcat

Wow. Samuels is a bitch.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #374
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

I honestly have a real problem with the attitude towards theese refs by the media as well as players/coaches. Bitch to the NFL, not the guys stepping into a difficult situation to make theese games even possible.

Quote:
can someone explain to me why in the NFL guys throwing punches don´t get ejected more often ?

They're not getting ejected because your beloved poor wittle refs aren't doing their jobs.

Sorry. I don't buy the argument that we should "go easy" on these guys (which Torrico just basically made as well).

You're reffing in the NFL, get it together.

If you can't handle it, quit.

I'll repeat. The NFL HAS to get the real refs back.

Quote:

Last edited by wade moore : 09-17-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #375
wade moore
lolzcat

Man. I'm not sure how, based on the video we've seen, the Falcons could have had that ball.

I understand why it's not reviewable, but seems hard to believe.

Quote:
Old 09-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #376
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Tebow's accuracy is so bad, he can't even throw picks.

Probably true. I'm very glad manning is back playing, but I do miss tebow starting in the league. I hope sandwiches sucks so tebow can take over for him
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #377
TroyF
Coordinator

Denver had to waste a challenge on a clear tip. Denver recovered the football (it looked like both on the replay of where the ball was as well as him leaving the pile with the ball that they recovered)

That said, you throw three int's and put the ball on the ground, you should be happy you are not down 20.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #378
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
They're not getting ejected because your beloved poor wittle refs aren't doing their jobs.

except that a quick google search returned like a million "why wasn´t player X not ejected for punching" results, going in line with my memory of this specific issue. In the NBA, there basically isn´t a single punch or slap that isn´t either an rejection or a suspension after the fact, yet in the NFL it´s observed and then you get merely a personal foul penalty.

Also, what the hell has this to do with "if you can´t handle it" ? Should everybody who´s not perfect at their job quit after 1 week or 2 ? Seriously ?

awesome throw and catch there

Last edited by whomario : 09-17-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #379
kingfc22
Head Coach

Same exact thing happened last night with no call when Smith got hammered on a slide.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #380
Logan
Head Coach

Haha what a late flag.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #381
TroyF
Coordinator

Forget the personal foul, the ref was going to give Ryan the first down after he was clearly a yard short. Good lord.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #382
wade moore
lolzcat

Um, wow.

So Ryan slides, two guys dive in while he slides. He rolls around, comes up and looks at the line judge marking the spot.

He makes the "throw a flag" motion, and so the ref does.

Wow.

I know I've been really hard on the refs this weekend, but this is ridiculous.

Note: I'm not saying it's not a penalty, but he seemingly called it WAY late only because Ryan told him to.

Quote:
Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #383
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Also, what the hell has this to do with "if you can´t handle it" ? Should everybody who´s not perfect at their job quit after 1 week or 2 ? Seriously ?

If you're as in over your head at the top level of your job as these guys are, yes.

Let me rephrase it. If you have an issue with the criticism and can't improve your quality, then quit.

These guys deserve as much criticism as the regular refs, I don't care what theyw ere doing this time last year.

Quote:
Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #384
whomario
Pro Starter

yeah, because Ryan is such an intimidating presence.

Who says they have an issue with the criticism ? Who says they won´t improve ? Should every rookie player quit after 2 bad games and some bad press reviews ?

I just hate that more and more people seem to blame them for everything. Especially when it comes to "not having controll" i just can´t believe how easily the players and coaches are let off the hook.

Last edited by whomario : 09-17-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #385
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
yeah, because Ryan is such an intimidating presence.

Come on, I'm not claiming he "intimidated" him.

It was pretty obvious that the guy wasn't calling the penalty until Ryan motioned for it. The time to call it was past.

Quote:
Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #386
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Um, wow.

So Ryan slides, two guys dive in while he slides. He rolls around, comes up and looks at the line judge marking the spot.

He makes the "throw a flag" motion, and so the ref does.

Wow.

I know I've been really hard on the refs this weekend, but this is ridiculous.

Note: I'm not saying it's not a penalty, but he seemingly called it WAY late only because Ryan told him to.

Definitely the worst call I've seen so far. Because it wasn't an issue of judgment, that was straight giving in, or "oh shit, I'm supposed to be throwing flags".
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #387
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Definitely the worst call I've seen so far. Because it wasn't an issue of judgment, that was straight giving in, or "oh shit, I'm supposed to be throwing flags".

Bingo.

Quote:
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #388
TroyF
Coordinator

Fox is going to just lose it.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #389
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I'm feeling better about picking him in the 3rd round of my Bad QB League Shame I did not start him this week.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #390
TroyF
Coordinator

The week of ridiculous challenges continues. What a moronic challenge there. It was simply based off of frustration and not off of x's and o's. Fox needs to calm the hell down so his players can calm the hell down. It's going to be 13-0 in a moment. You have to get this figured out and figured out now.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #391
whomario
Pro Starter

Falcons should be up more, might still bite them in the ass by the end ...
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #392
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I can't believe there is still ten minutes left in the second quarter. This game should be over sometimes Tuesday afternoon.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #393
RainMaker
General Manager

Refs are just helping Manning out by giving talking heads something else to talk about tomorrow.

If I get to bed now I should be able to catch the ending of this one in the morning.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #394
whomario
Pro Starter

nice playcall for the TD there
Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #395
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Refs are just helping Manning out by giving talking heads something else to talk about tomorrow.

If I get to bed now I should be able to catch the ending of this one in the morning.

I guess I'm trying to figure out where Manning will be helped by this. Less criticism? Do you think he cares about criticism at this point? I mean, will he have heard anything he hasn't already heard? I mean, he threw 4 int's in the AFC title game one year. I don't think Peyton really needs any help to recover from a poor game. He'll manage.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #396
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Monday night games should be thrown out of fantasy football
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #397
TroyF
Coordinator

Tirrico is talking about how gutsy that call on 4th and one was. Ummm, no, it needed to be made. Even though it is second quarter, that was the ball game and Denver knew it. They can't give the ball back to Atlanta with time for them to run up the score more this half. Denver must score on this drive and run some clock, this was critical.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #398
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I guess I'm trying to figure out where Manning will be helped by this. Less criticism? Do you think he cares about criticism at this point? I mean, will he have heard anything he hasn't already heard? I mean, he threw 4 int's in the AFC title game one year. I don't think Peyton really needs any help to recover from a poor game. He'll manage.

Peyton is just trying to show up Eli, everyone better stick around for the fourth quarter.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #399
spleen1015
Coordinator

#25 for Atlanta is kicking some ass tonight.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #400
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

so many penalties
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote