Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #3951
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I'm reaching the point where I honestly don't believe he'll finish the series, ever.

I'm at the point where I don't care.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #3952
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm at the point where I don't care.
I'm at the point I'll be pleasantly surprised if any is written, but have zero expectation it will be.

Locke Lamora book #4 is the frustrating one since it's had release dates put out.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #3953
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'm reaching the point where I honestly don't believe he'll finish the series, ever.

Me either.

Yet another reason I love the TV show. At least it will provide some sense of closure and ending, even if it's not exactly the one that GRRM has planned for the books.

Also, given that the last two books were, overall, more bad than good, I don't have the strong desire to read the next book that I used to. I never thought it would come to that, since the first four are pretty much the only books I've read multiple times and I love them so, but there we are.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #3954
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm at the point I'll be pleasantly surprised if any is written, but have zero expectation it will be.

Locke Lamora book #4 is the frustrating one since it's had release dates put out.

I believe Scott Lynch had a medical situation so its understandable

GRRM (and Patrick Rothfuss) just "wandered away", busy doing anything but finishing their series.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #3955
Groundhog
Coordinator

I imagine it's taken him so long to write the next books because he's probably kicked off 18 more storylines, and introduced 4 new POV characters and a new continent.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #3956
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He's already mentioned a few continents that he hasn't yet explored, including Sothoryos and The Summer Islands....
Old 01-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #3957
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I imagine it's taken him so long to write the next books because he's probably kicked off 18 more storylines, and introduced 4 new POV characters and a new continent.

Don't worry, 17 of those 18 will take up 95% of the next book, and culminate in every new POV character dying without advancing the primary plot. The 18th will be a cliffhanger that will be resolved in another 10 years.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #3958
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Don't worry, 17 of those 18 will take up 95% of the next book, and culminate in every new POV character dying without advancing the primary plot. The 18th will be a cliffhanger that will be resolved in another 10 years.

/SPOILERS

DUH!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #3959
Edward64
Head Coach

Woo hoo. Prequel coming, excited about this (but GRRM is still an ass)

https://ew.com/tv/2018/06/08/game-th...-jane-goldman/
Quote:
HBO has officially greenlit a follow-up pilot to its acclaimed international hit Game of Thrones and it sounds just as massively ambitious as the original series.
:
:
According to Martin’s books, the Age of Heroes began 10,000 years before the events in GoT. Some of the major names which could be characters in the new show include Bran the Builder (who founded House Stark and oversaw construction of The Wall and Winterfell) and Lann the Clever (who founded House Lannister). The era led into the Long Night — a winter that lasted a generation — and the greatest war against the white walkers. Then again, that’s what we think we know, and the logline for the new show says this is “not the story we think we know.”
Old 04-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #3960
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Time for a bump.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #3961
spleen1015
Coordinator

Watching season 7 today in preparation for tonight.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #3962
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I read all the books and have watched every season, and I don't really remember anything thats happening. lol.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #3963
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I read all the books and have watched every season, and I don't really remember anything thats happening. lol.

This pretty much describes how I feel every time any show starts a new season. The other day I watched 2 hour-long episodes of the new Punisher season before realizing I had actually just re-watched the first episodes of the previous season. "This all seems vaguely familiar..."
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-14-2019 at 05:31 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #3964
Edward64
Head Coach

So how does this all end? Who else dies and who wins the game?
Old 04-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #3965
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Martin dies and the readers lose.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #3966
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Martin dies and the readers lose.

are there people out there who really think he is going to finish?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #3967
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

My pet theory.

Night King wins. Westeros is a frozen ruin. A handful of survivors sail east to Essos, to recolonize Old Valyria. And in a few thousand years, the cycle starts all over with the ancestors of the survivors returning west.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #3968
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
My pet theory.

Night King wins. Westeros is a frozen ruin. A handful of survivors sail east to Essos, to recolonize Old Valyria. And in a few thousand years, the cycle starts all over with the ancestors of the survivors returning west.

That might even be too drastic for GRRM.

I do think a Dany and Jon happily ever after is too easy for the story.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #3969
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bran has creepy stare down pat.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #3970
spleen1015
Coordinator

There has to be a twist. Its too easy to put Jon on the throne and be done.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:20 PM   #3971
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

For such a short season, I really wish their set-up / reunion episode coulda actually been lengthened to add some more dialogue.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #3972
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
For such a short season, I really wish their set-up / reunion episode coulda actually been lengthened to add some more dialogue.
Everything since they moved past the books has been moving from set piece to set piece with little thought to developing characters motivations or expanding dialogue. Benioff & Weiss complain about budgeting as a reason for the short seasons, but most everyone would love them to pad out 2 more episodes a season of low budget dialogue scenes.

Bran 100% killing the creepy stare game. There's also a chance people just keep leaving him outside - how is he getting that wheelchair around in the mud?!?

Looks like next week we'll end
Spoiler
Old 04-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #3973
AnalBumCover
College Starter

The opening credits was a nice change.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #3974
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Red haired "Edward" getting his face burnt off was a nod to Ed Sheeran, right
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:35 PM   #3975
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I watched a 9-minute youtube recap video of Season 7 before I dove in tonight, that helped a lot.

The Ultimate Game of Thrones Season 7 recap - YouTube

I also was trying to re-watch the series, just in the background, while doing other stuff, but I only made it up to Season 3. This is a super-rewatchable show though.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #3976
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
There has to be a twist. Its too easy to put Jon on the throne and be done.

I don't have a lot of faith in the showrunners developing new politics at this point (and if they do, I fear it'll be hideously illogical), but the idea of people finally opening their eyes to the fact that Dany is, well, kind of an asshole and not a good ruler would make for some interesting play. She's a conqueror, not a ruler.

'Course, I think Jon might have too much Ned & Robb in him to be an effective ruler, too.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #3977
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Everything since they moved past the books has been moving from set piece to set piece with little thought to developing characters motivations or expanding dialogue. Benioff & Weiss complain about budgeting as a reason for the short seasons, but most everyone would love them to pad out 2 more episodes a season of low budget dialogue scenes.

I think the cast salaries are a big part of the budget issues and the shorter seasons (and even the series ending). The cast is just so big and the stars make more money every year. The overall show budget is somewhere around $10 million an episode (probably more this year), the top 5 or 6 stars make about $500k per episode each, and there's 5 or 6 more below them who make lower six figures per episode.

Last edited by molson : 04-14-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:47 AM   #3978
david thomas
n00b

I am guessing they will definitely age the Stark children. Martin already said he wished he had started with them a little older. I think they'll have a hard time putting ten year olds in the situations they are put in the books.
david thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #3979
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't have a lot of faith in the showrunners developing new politics at this point (and if they do, I fear it'll be hideously illogical), but the idea of people finally opening their eyes to the fact that Dany is, well, kind of an asshole and not a good ruler would make for some interesting play. She's a conqueror, not a ruler.

'Course, I think Jon might have too much Ned & Robb in him to be an effective ruler, too.

The whole Dany being willing to kill people without remorse has been building over the series. She has a little bit of her father in her. I think it's foreshadowing how she's going to die before the end of all this.

I can see Jon, *ahem* Aegon, being on the Iron Throne in the end. In some respects it'd be ironic - if there was no Robert's Rebellion, he'd sit on the throne regardless.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #3980
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

I thought the dragon giving Jon that stare when he was kissing Danny was the biggest "holy shit" moment of the episode.

Was it just me?

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #3981
TexasT
Mascot

Will the Night King be on the Iron Throne??
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #3982
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It was an awesome episode and I'm already sad it's the last season. Since DishN no longer has HBO, I signed up for HBO NOW just for GOT.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 04-15-2019 at 10:59 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #3983
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered. The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer, while her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The whole Dany being willing to kill people without remorse has been building over the series. She has a little bit of her father in her. I think it's foreshadowing how she's going to die before the end of all this.

My theory is Danny ends up going full mad king, Jon is forced to kill her (ala kingslayer) but then pulls out Lightbringer 2.0.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #3984
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
I thought the dragon giving Jon that stare when he was kissing Danny was the biggest "holy shit" moment of the episode.

Was it just me?

I thought it was corny
Old 04-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #3985
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I thought it was corny

Ditto.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #3986
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think the cast salaries are a big part of the budget issues and the shorter seasons (and even the series ending). The cast is just so big and the stars make more money every year. The overall show budget is somewhere around $10 million an episode (probably more this year), the top 5 or 6 stars make about $500k per episode each, and there's 5 or 6 more below them who make lower six figures per episode.
Maybe. I think it'd be fine to focus on a couple different storylines & completely leave out some characters in the early season episodes, but I know some fans would go crazy if they had no Dany or Jaime at all some episode.

Speaking of poor decisions, they all knew the white walker army had broken through the wall when they sent Umber back to Last Hearth, right? They always play fast & loose with travel times and I'm not sure they've officially said how far Last Hearth is from the wall/ Winterfell respectively, but that didn't seem like the time for a "hey, go take some more wagons for a leisurely evacuation" situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david thomas View Post
I am guessing they will definitely age the Stark children. Martin already said he wished he had started with them a little older. I think they'll have a hard time putting ten year olds in the situations they are put in the books.
What's the point of bots like this? Are they just trying to test algorithms so they can more easily fake conversations for the advertising bots?
Old 04-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #3987
molson
General Manager

Quote:

What's the point of bots like this? Are they just trying to test algorithms so they can more easily fake conversations for the advertising bots?

It's word for word what GrantDawg wrote in post #12 of this thread more than 10 years ago.

The bots are slowing phasing us out.

Hmm, maybe everybody here is a bot but me.....

Last edited by molson : 04-15-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #3988
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
My theory is Danny ends up going full mad king, Jon is forced to kill her (ala kingslayer) but then pulls out Lightbringer 2.0.

Not a bad theory.

I have a feeling that the humans end up losing the Battle of Winterfell and have to fall back and it is there that Dany starts losing it (maybe Drogon gets killed by ice dragon?). Perhaps Jon has to kill Dany during that period in order to be Azor Ahai reborn and have the power to push back against the dead.

Also, Melissandre is still out there as well. I have a feeling she comes back to fight the White Walkers and her fire magic is very useful in that fight.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #3989
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
I thought it was corny

This is what I thought of the whole dragon-riding sequence.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #3990
bob
College Starter

I've only watched the series a single time through and never read the books. Should I have any clue who Azor Ahai is?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #3991
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I've only watched the series a single time through and never read the books. Should I have any clue who Azor Ahai is?

It's a prophecy about R'hillor's champion who would come back and save the world wielding his fire magic sword, Lightbringer. Some folks have used him interchangeably with the "Prince that was promised". Melissandre thought Stannis was Azor Ahai reborn. I'm not sure the actual person has been named in the show.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #3992
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I thought it was corny

Yep. The whole contrived Dany/Jon romance irritates the hell out of me. It doesn't seem authentic or real, and it combines the character I love most with the one I hate most.

That said, as much as I've shredded Seasons 5-7, Season 8's opener was one of the best in a long time (damning with faint praise here, and dragon ride faux-mantic interlude aside). When you're left wanting more, it's a sign they managed to at least not screw it up. It was a nice, clean appetizer.

However, with only five more episodes, they're invariably going to royally fuck this up with the same shitty pacing of Season 7.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #3993
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Also, Melissandre is still out there as well. I have a feeling she comes back to fight the White Walkers and her fire magic is very useful in that fight.

She already said earlier in the series that she's coming back (when she left in the first place). While I don't know that they'll die at the same time, her and Varys' deaths in Westeros have both been prophecied.

And then there's the whole Dany dream sequence in snow-blanketed King's Landing from much earlier in the series.

I see this going one of two ways:

1. The Night King wins and death rules over all in a wintry wasteland.
2. Plot Armor Jon wins (ugh), Dany is killed, and he's left to rule alone in a position he didn't want, Westeros facing an uncertain future.

Neither one will be a happy ending, but there shouldn't be one. Happiness does not exist in the GOTverse.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #3994
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I believe the words used for the ending are "bittersweet", so I'd wager Jon winning while just about all of his family is dead (maybe Sam stays alive as he is basically GRRM inserted into his own story) is the way it is going to go.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #3995
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I believe the words used for the ending are "bittersweet", so I'd wager Jon winning while just about all of his family is dead (maybe Sam stays alive as he is basically GRRM inserted into his own story) is the way it is going to go.

There is zero sweet in that ending, but that's a reasonable outcome, yeah.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #3996
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Can someone weigh in on Jon's right.to be the Stark heir?

Yes, does his being a man but from a younger Stark sibling outweigh Sansa and Arya who are the last living progeny of Ned? I am choosing to assume any attempt to thrust the Lord of Winterfell title on Bran will lead him to refuse it, assuming he gets clear enough to focus on what's happenkng around him.

If Sansa (oldest living child of Ned) is the actual head of the Stark family now, then Jon's bending the knee to Dany ends up being just his own loyalty, does it not?

Yes, of course, this all comes back around when everyone including Sansa bends the knee to Jon as the true Targaryen heir (won't ever happen of course, but I'm talking hypotheticals here).

But isn't Sansa in actuality the best claimant to the seat at Winterfell now? And do you all think that realization when Jon's lineage is outed will come out and a cause a whole separate state of dramatic.affairs?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #3997
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
There is zero sweet in that ending, but that's a reasonable outcome, yeah.

Well the White Walkers are stopped, humanity survives.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #3998
bob
College Starter

This is what I thought of the dragon ride:

Aladdin - A Whole New World [High Quality] - YouTube
Old 04-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #3999
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Can someone weigh in on Jon's right.to be the Stark heir?

Yes, does his being a man but from a younger Stark sibling outweigh Sansa and Arya who are the last living progeny of Ned? I am choosing to assume any attempt to thrust the Lord of Winterfell title on Bran will lead him to refuse it, assuming he gets clear enough to focus on what's happenkng around him.

If Sansa (oldest living child of Ned) is the actual head of the Stark family now, then Jon's bending the knee to Dany ends up being just his own loyalty, does it not?

Yes, of course, this all comes back around when everyone including Sansa bends the knee to Jon as the true Targaryen heir (won't ever happen of course, but I'm talking hypotheticals here).

But isn't Sansa in actuality the best claimant to the seat at Winterfell now? And do you all think that realization when Jon's lineage is outed will come out and a cause a whole separate state of dramatic.affairs?

Jon is King in the North because the leige lords of the Starks declared him so (after understanding him as Ned Stark's bastard). As far as actually lineage from Ned, it would be Bran and then Sansa and Arya as Jon is a bastard.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #4000
bob
College Starter

Quote:
It's a prophecy about R'hillor's champion who would come back and save the world wielding his fire magic sword, Lightbringer. Some folks have used him interchangeably with the "Prince that was promised". Melissandre thought Stannis was Azor Ahai reborn. I'm not sure the actual person has been named in the show.

Who is R'hillor?