Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #4051
molson
General Manager

The Trump brand definitely has some value, like the tea party brand did. Except it's mostly a negative value - you're with us or we fucking hate you and you're an ugly bitch (and so forth). I wonder how much staying power that brand will have after the election.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #4052
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Well Ryan is in trouble for 2020 for sure. He somehow managed to piss off both Trump supporters and detractors.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 10-19-2016 at 12:51 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #4053
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Yeah I don't agree with this. I think Trump's campaign needs to be constantly hammered on the support they get from white supremacists.

After reading that article that you posted last week, I agree with you. He needs to constantly be questioned about his refusal to forcefully denounce these groups and repudiate their support.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #4054
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah I don't agree with this. I think Trump's campaign needs to be constantly hammered on the support they get from white supremacists.

I think they should get hammered when they refuse to disavow that support (like when Trump refused to condemn Duke and Pence wouldn't call him deplorable), but the endorsement in and of itself is no more meaningful than when Osama bin Laden endorsed John Kerry. My guess is the same groups endorsed Romney and McCain.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #4055
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #4056
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

That "change" question is especially brutal. If you're losing to Hillary Clinton on the issue of change, then you're doing something wrong.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #4057
QuikSand
lolzcat

"Defeat Islam...?"

Might need to alter the rule of tonight's drinking game.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #4058
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

"Defeat Islam...?"

Might need to alter the rule of tonight's drinking game.

Surely he would get more than 5 points for defeating an entire religion?
Old 10-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #4059
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
All you need is a 4 point plan, for just about anything.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #4060
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wonder how much staying power that brand will have after the election.

I can't imagine it's going away. The name may change but the issues where he's spot on correct will remain. And the fight over them will only get more pitched.

I mean, does anyone actually think supporters are suddenly going to think "oh, he lost, I guess we were wrong"? Yeah, I'm not seeing that either.

What they may start to think however is that "maybe the ballot box isn't the solution"
Old 10-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #4061
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The name may change but the issues where he's spot on correct will remain.

The only thing many of his voters care about is being displaced in the global economy and having to compete at home with the "coloreds" who get all the breaks.

You're right, that will never fade. At least until education standards are raised in this country.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #4062
Butter
Coordinator

So, anybody that pays close attention to polling... is it typical this late in an election cycle to still have 10%+ of voters still undecided in so many polls? So many I am seeing in the 538 list of polls add up to around 90% or less between HRC/Trump/Johnson.

I feel like if you're still undecided at this late stage, you don't get to vote, but that aside, it does seem like a large number to me.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #4063
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
What they may start to think however is that "maybe the ballot box isn't the solution"
I think a number of folks have said as much, including elected officials.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #4064
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
So, anybody that pays close attention to polling... is it typical this late in an election cycle to still have 10%+ of voters still undecided in so many polls? So many I am seeing in the 538 list of polls add up to around 90% or less between HRC/Trump/Johnson.

Just thinking aloud here ... are those "likely voter" polls (which presumably don't have a "none" option) or larger universes, which could include "none/not planning to vote" figures.

That might account for the disparity pretty easily if that's an option.

edit to add: Oct 2012 the Obama + Romney averages added to 94-95 percent, fwiw.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-19-2016 at 02:09 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #4065
molson
General Manager

Quote:
The name may change but the issues where he's spot on correct will remain.

But he's changed his stance on those issues a lot. He was liberal before running for president, got very conservative when pursuing the nomination, and now claims he didn't actually say a lot of the more aggressive stuff he said just a few months ago about immigration and global warming and Muslims. I brought this up a while ago here, but Trump's supporters don't seem to care that he lied about how conservative he was. (Edit: Or that he's lying now about how about his moves to the center). As long as he's still calling women fat pigs and such, THAT'S the consistent thing, that attitude, his supporters are rallying around.

That's why it seems different than even the tea party brand, which had some fairly consistent and tangible issue platforms. Trump is more about celebrity and an image. Which are very powerful forces in the U.S. I think a lot of people underestimated him because he wasn't running a very traditional campaign, but when you're Trump, you don't need all of that machinery to be relevant.

Last edited by molson : 10-19-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #4066
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But he's changed his stance on those issues a lot. He was liberal before running for president, got very conservative when pursuing the nomination, and now claims he didn't actually say a lot of the more aggressive stuff he said just a few months ago about immigration and global warming and Muslims. I brought this up a while ago here, but Trump's supporters don't seem to care that he lied about how conservative he was. As long as he's still calling women fat pigs and such, THAT'S the consistent thing, that attitude, his supporters are rallying around.

The hatred for Hilary is certainly a rallying point, but she's been the face of evil for long enough now that it's kind of an easy target. I mean we've had, what, close to two decades of her in the public eye to make her a (willing) focal point.

There's any number of people who, given the same level of publicity & a similarly grating personality, could have just an easily been as "inspirational"
Old 10-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #4067
QuikSand
lolzcat

You can effectively buy Trump/GOP/nonwoman at 21c today. Anyone think that's a good play? I don't like the inherent uncertainty of a debate... but I remain intrigued.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #4068
nol
Banned

They've got a poll with McMullin leading Utah now with 31% of the vote.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #4069
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
You can effectively buy Trump/GOP/nonwoman at 21c today. Anyone think that's a good play? I don't like the inherent uncertainty of a debate... but I remain intrigued.

Ahhh... okay, I found a proxy market in VP KAINE NO and bought in there at 18c. That's not as fluid a market as the direct ones, but they tend to sort out a differential that large within a day's time. 18 to 22 seems very do-able by this time tomorrow. Or to 14, of course.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #4070
Thomkal
Head Coach

Apparently the Trump campaign is "very inclusive." And that's why they invited Obama's half-brother.

Conway: Obama's half-brother invited to debate because 'we’re inclusive' - POLITICO
Old 10-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #4071
Butter
Coordinator

Any chance that the Benghazi mother just stands up and starts screaming at Hillary during the debate? Get some predictit.org odds on that one.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #4072
digamma
Torchbearer

I mean what kind of clown show is this? What advisor is like, "you know what would be great? Bringing in that Kenyan brother. We can infer that even though Obama has a birth certificate he still hates America. Great ratings. Massive!"
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #4073
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Why do you think Trump is asking advisers anything?
Old 10-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #4074
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Hillary should have Alec Baldwin at the debate, sitting in the first row, in character as Trump.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #4075
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

OMG

Today's stunt is apparently a news conference for the illegitimate child of Bill Clinton to announce a paternity suit.

Edit: I guess that also answers the question of the surprise guest at the debate.

Last edited by JPhillips : 10-19-2016 at 03:38 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #4076
digamma
Torchbearer

Is it the alien baby?
Old 10-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #4077
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Hillary should have Alec Baldwin at the debate, sitting in the first row, in character as Trump.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #4078
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No one as good as that, but she is apparently bringing Meg Whitman and Mark Cuban with her. Actual successful businesspeople?
Old 10-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #4079
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
(i.e. laws are important and created for a reason and should be followed, except this law we will ignore that one).

Just curious, when you typed that, were you referring to sanctuary cities or small businesses using undocumented labor or something else/all of the above?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #4080
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Better yet, she should send in Kate McKinnon to do the debate for her.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #4081
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What laws aren't being enforced? Obama has deported 2.5 million illegal immigrants.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #4082
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oops, I mean fully enforced. There's a difference and I think you know it. (right, other people know it right?) If a crime is committed, we expect LEO to attempt to find the culprit and charge them. But for illegal immigration, there seems to be an endemic wink wink look the other way. Probably because we really want them here, depend on them, they strengthen our economy. It's the cognitive dissonance of the law exists but we don't want the law to be playing out as it currently is.

I'm sure there's "wink, wink" going on. But the other side of the coin, is that many Federal agencies don't have the money to do the jobs they are charged with. If 2.5 million people were deported over eight years, that's 300,000 annually. I imagine it takes a heck of a lot of manpower to pull that off.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #4083
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Laws have always been selectively enforced based on the severity of the infraction. As an extreme example, take speeding. Cops constantly let law breakers go without so much as even a warning. Not only do we not have the manpower to arrest and prosecute everyone, nor the space to incarcerate everyone, we don't enforce the letter of every law because to do so would leave us in a police state.

Now you can argue for greater enforcement all you want, but don't think it's something out of character for law enforcement.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #4084
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Oops, I mean fully enforced.

Trump has backed off on his plan to "fully" enforce immigration law. He got a lot of headlines early for saying he's remove all 11 million immigrants, but he's admitted more recently that he wouldn't really do that. Then he said he was just going to do the "same" enforcement as Bush and Obama, and that he'd "work with" illegal immigrants.

Last edited by molson : 10-19-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #4085
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Trump has backed off on his plan to "fully" enforce immigration law. He got a lot of headlines early for saying he's remove all 11 million immigrants, but he's admitted more recently that he wouldn't really do that. Then he said he was just going to do the "same" enforcement as Bush and Obama, and that he'd "work with" illegal immigrants.

He needs to update his website then:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/immigration

To be fair, I doubt he has any input in to what goes into that website and has probably never read it.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 10-19-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #4086
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
He needs to update his website then:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/immigration

To be fair, I doubt he has any input in to what goes into that website and has probably never read it.

Even that's a little softer than when he started. "Anyone who enters the U.S. illegally is subject to deportation," and the proposed targeting of illegal immigrants who have committed crimes. That's not the Trump I remember from the primaries, where all 11 million were leaving and maybe he'd let the "good ones" back in. And of course, he wanted to completely ban Muslims. Now he just talks about vetting them.

And there have been a few news appearances where he's softened it more and said he's just going to do what Obama does but with "more energy".

Trump's Deportation Plan: 'Do the Same Thing' as Obama But 'With a Lot More Energy' - NBC News

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/23/politi...ration-policy/

Last edited by molson : 10-19-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #4087
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
(I think, knowing how smart of a guy you are based on all your other posts, that you are asking this question rhetorically. That your intention was to convey something like "Hey lighthousekeeper, you are selectively calling for the enforcement of federal immigration enforcement, while ignoring city level immigration statutes, and employment laws. This is hypocritical or at least inconsistent and I hope you can now see this inconsistency". I might be off on that, regardless I will answer your question assuming it was not rhetorical.)

well, my first thought was sanctuary cities, but then I thought maybe that was me just making a biased assumption. Not a gotcha, more of a recognition how the narrative has changed from- they are taking our jobs to they are fugitives.

Also, I think whatever the Latin for "cognitive dissonance" is, that should be on our coins: welfare, education, healthcare, immigration, justice system all have an upside down pyramid of benefits

Last edited by AENeuman : 10-19-2016 at 06:57 PM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #4088
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Is it just me or is Chris Wallace looking very very nervous?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #4090
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, he went from coke to ludes.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #4091
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Holy shit. Did Trump really say, "Bad hombres?"

Old 10-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #4092
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Some bad hombres.

So far, pretty even. Two different visions, both defending their sides fairly well.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #4093
sabotai
General Manager

Not watching because I can't stand to listen to it, but I am following a live transcript of it.

Did Trump really say the sentence: "It's happened bigly." ?

EDIT: And followed it up with "We'll speed up the process bigly."?

Last edited by sabotai : 10-19-2016 at 08:30 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #4094
digamma
Torchbearer

Big league.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #4095
sabotai
General Manager

Ah, okay....that'd be pushing it, even for Trump.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #4096
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Some bad hombres.

So far, pretty even. Two different visions, both defending their sides fairly well.

Well a tie is bad for DJT but what debate are you watching? One is speaking in specifics. One is talking about bad hombres. Big league.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #4097
RedKingGold
College Starter

[IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator[/IMG]
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #4098
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Well a tie is bad for DJT but what debate are you watching? One is speaking in specifics. One is talking about bad hombres. Big league.

+1

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #4099
tarcone
Coordinator

HRC stunned by the $250000 open border comments. Pivots to Trump wanting Putin to influence the election. Nice try. Didnt work.

Mellow Trump is punching HRC in the balls. And HRCs responses are not real good.

Interesting so far. I see Trump ahead. HRC cannot win a debate that is mudslinging. She needs to go back to the 1st debate plan.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #4100
tarcone
Coordinator

I think Wallace is doing a good job. He is holding both to the fire.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote