Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #4051
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Of course. They are the pride of the city and one of its most outward symbols.

Eh. I'm less of a fan than I used to be, and honestly that's part of growing up (which is the perspective I'm coming from with the grown-up comment). It's also why I've become more attached to college football than pro sports these days, because rooting for/against professional organizations is less appealing and makes less sense than rooting for or against schools I can identify with.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-28-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #4052
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
David Price called out the Rays fanbase on twitter: Had a chance to clinch a post season spot tonight with about 10,000 fans in the stands....embarrassing

Apparently Longoria weighed in on this today as well, but something caught my eye.

Quote:
"In 2008, when we clinched, this place was packed," Longoria said. "It's kind of like what else do you have to do to draw fans in this place. ... "It's a tough situation for us," he added. "

Lemme see here:
Tampa Metro Unemployment September 08: 7.2%
Tampa Metro Unemployment September 10:12.6%

Newflash Evan: there's a lot of tough situations out there these days.
Not nearly as many people can drop $100+ on a school night for a family of four as could do it 2 years ago.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #4053
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
At least he wasn't pitching in ATL. There were about 1/2 that many there.

Atlanta: 26,338 (52.9% full)
Tampa: 12,446 (34.5% full)

You may be overlooking the fact that the Braves started over an hour late due to rain, I'm sure half (or more) of those who showed up left well before the 11 inning game was over after 1130.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #4054
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Of course. They are the pride of the city and one of its most outward symbols.

Explain to me how that's rational in any way? Being prideful of where you were born or live simply because you are from there is highly irrational.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #4055
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Explain to me how that's rational in any way? Being prideful of where you were born or live simply because you are from there is highly irrational.

I'm not sure what you are arguing here; this seems to be a side issue away from the Yankees altogether. But as for the statement you are challenging (I guess?), it's simply a fact. Are Americans not prideful of being Americans simply because they were born in the USA? This is a newsflash?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #4056
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Apparently Longoria weighed in on this today as well, but something caught my eye.

Lemme see here:
Tampa Metro Unemployment September 08: 7.2%
Tampa Metro Unemployment September 10:12.6%

Newflash Evan: there's a lot of tough situations out there these days.
Not nearly as many people can drop $100+ on a school night for a family of four as could do it 2 years ago.

It's a bullshit excuse. I was in the area last month for work...there were plenty of people in restaurants and at bars during the week, so clearly not everyone is carefully watching their disposable income. Don't see what is so difficult about a couple of buddies grabbing $15 tickets to watch their team in a pennant race, especially if they haven't been going to games all year. If the Rays were complaining about not getting 35k to games all season, I'd agree with you.

People aren't going to games cause the stadium is shit and they'd rather sit home and watch the game (or be in a bar, which as I said I saw plenty of). I don't blame them at all...I just don't blame the economy either.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #4057
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
People aren't going to games cause the stadium is shit and they'd rather sit home and watch the game (or be in a bar, which as I said I saw plenty of). I don't blame them at all...I just don't blame the economy either.

Agree with this. Even in a craptastic stadium like Tropicana, the Phillies would have good attendance based on their recent success. However, CBP's overall quality substantially contributes to the Phils' sell-out streak.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #4058
molson
General Manager

There's plenty of cities in America where MLB just wouldn't work. Tampa/St. Pete's is clearly one of those. A new stadium would get a novelty boost but it wouldn't hold up. There's no solution here except to skip town.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #4059
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Don't see what is so difficult about a couple of buddies grabbing $15 tickets to watch their team in a pennant race, especially if they haven't been going to games all year.

For $15 bucks, you get OF seats (a location where I've never enjoyed watching a game in my life) or upper deck seats (which I actually like if you're behind home plate, but I know I'm in the minority on that). Basically, more affordable tickets are considerably less attractive than watching at home.

As for the disposable income bit, I'll grant you that point to some degree but frankly, the typical demos for weeknights out at bars simply don't match the demographics of baseball attendance in most cities.

But neither point addresses families with kids, and that's a very large chunk of many teams single game ticket base, typically 1/3rd or more based on the numbers I've seen from past years.

And of course in the case of Tampa, they've already announced their plans to dismantle the team by shedding at least $20m in payroll next year, so I'm not sure how reasonable it is to expect a high level of excitement for a one off that isn't completely new at this point.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #4060
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Here's hoping tonight is a good night.

Go Reds!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #4061
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Fuck if I know.

But as long as the Phucktards win the same number of playoff games as the Dodgers do this year, I'll survive somehow.

Sounds like someone needs changed... whose turn is it to change him? From the sound of it he has dropped a pretty nasty size load in there...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #4062
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Prado out for the year just sucks so hard. Braves just can't catch a break lately.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #4063
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Here's hoping tonight is a good night.

Go Reds!

It's tied, and it's only the Astros. And it's not even the playoffs. I don't know if I'll be able to handle playoff baseball.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #4064
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Lester's voters may be cannibalized by Buchholz's votes, who is having an excellent year of his own (leading the league in ERA+ for one).
Buchholz, Price, and to a lesser extent Verlander are the three that could play spoiler, but I'm not worried about Buchholz too much. If Lester steals the award away from Felix, it will be because of "milestone" voters - 20 wins, 200+ IP, 200+ K's - all of which Buchholz won't have.

Looks like the Yankees will finally win and clinch tonight. I was hoping we could drag it out to this weekend because I was offered tickets to Friday nights game a week and a half back when that person gave up on the season. It's still Sox-Yanks on a Friday night when I'll be going into the city anyway, and they'll probably still be fighting for home field/the division.

Riffing off the KSyrup/ISiddiqui argument, there clearly are regional rivalries between cities that extend past sports. Boston-NY being one. The intensity drops a lot if the teams aren't in the same division (Mets, Islanders) or haven't been good in a decade (Knicks, Rangers) but I'm never going to root for a NY team to do well. The only sport where NY isn't our biggest rival is hockey (Montreal), and that is a rivalry that clearly has its roots in linguistic and cultural differences between the fanbases.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #4065
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Prado out for the year just sucks so hard. Braves just can't catch a break lately.

Fill-in Brooks Conrad comes through, an RBI triple to tie the game & then he scores the go-ahead run on Hinske's pinch hit homer.

Wagner K's the side in the 9th to preserve at least a half-game lead in the WC.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #4066
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fill-in Brooks Conrad comes through, an RBI triple to tie the game & then he scores the go-ahead run on Hinske's pinch hit homer.

Wagner K's the side in the 9th to preserve at least a half-game lead in the WC.

Conrad is sure to go down with an injury shortly.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #4067
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Tears.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #4068
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Tears.

Me too man, I was there to see it. Had club seats tonight, saw the walk off, went to the pro shop and got a division championship tee, and hat. The fireworks display after the HR was awesome.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #4069
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

You lucky man.

Cheers, Reds fans. Cheers.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #4070
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

hxxp://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12550307

Bookmark it, Reds fans.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:04 AM   #4071
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Congrats to the Reds. Cool way to clinch it too.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #4072
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Congrats to the Rays, too. Fun team, too bad they play in the worst market in baseball.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #4073
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Giants with a huge night tonight. Being in a playoff race is a fantastic thing, and damn have I missed it the last 6 or 7 years.

Also, I heard from a friend that Cubs interim manager Mike Quade skipped Zambrano's start against the Cardinals so that he could pitch the opener yesterday against the Padres. His explanation was that he's treating this like it's their playoffs now - these are meaningful games, and that at the end of the day they're all NL guys and he wants the NL representatives in the playoffs to be battle-tested.

If that's the case, I think that's amazing. To rest your ace, against your hated rival, when you have absolutely ZERO on the line...I just can't fathom that happening. I'm not finding ANYTHING about it on the internet, but his prior start was the 21st against the Giants, he pitched yesterday, and the Cubs played 5 games in between those two games, so the story adds up. Crazy.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #4074
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My understanding is that Tropicana Field is quite difficult to get because it's in St. Pete. They're not going to move to Tampa anytime soon, but that'd really benefit them if they were in an actual city. Couple that with fact that the economy is down and it's bad news.

But they built the stadium other cities didn't, they got a team and they'll stick it out or they'll leave. I'm inclined to believe that Sternberg won't keep them there more than five more years though. With all of his ties to NYC and so forth, surely they're trying already to explore possibilities to get that team into a more lucrative market and I think it's going to result in a hobbled 3rd NYC team in the end.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #4075
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
You lucky man.

Cheers, Reds fans. Cheers.

Awesome. I am keeping that on my DVR for a while. So glad they won it themselves on the field, it just made the whole season that much more special to get to witness the celebration like that.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #4076
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats to the Reds fans. Look forward to seeing you folks in the playoffs.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #4077
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Congrats, Reds fans. The game I went to there in August was quite fun. You could tell people were really enjoying being in the thick of things.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #4078
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
One other thing I saw broken down - you know how people were talking about Ubaldo Jimenez turning a corner into a dominant Pedro-esque performance based off half a season when he went 13-1 with a 1.15 ERA? 6-6 with a 4.78 ERA since then. I'd still take him on my team, but the hyperbole was a little over the top.

I don't know about turning a corner but what he was doing in the first half of the season was absolutely filthy. The fact that people don't really pay attention to pitch counts is still absolutely baffling. Not- go to 100 and yank. But if you have someone go 115+ the previous time, they'd better be 100 or less next time.

Jimenez went 128-118 back to back in late May, early July.
Thru 128-118: 87 IP, 29 BB, 78 K 0.93 ERA, .233 BABIP
After 118: 126 IP, 61 BB, 126 K, 4.45 ERA, .307 BABIP

Basically, he's walking a few more guys (1 per 2 IP rather than 1 per 3 IP) and I think that comes from being overworked.

Also, he had a low BABIP and was getting pretty darn lucky. Later on, he's basically been average. Put together a higher walk rate and BABIP returning to the norm and, well, with more runners you're going to give up more runs.

SI

Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #4079
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Giants with a huge night tonight. Being in a playoff race is a fantastic thing, and damn have I missed it the last 6 or 7 years.

Also, I heard from a friend that Cubs interim manager Mike Quade skipped Zambrano's start against the Cardinals so that he could pitch the opener yesterday against the Padres. His explanation was that he's treating this like it's their playoffs now - these are meaningful games, and that at the end of the day they're all NL guys and he wants the NL representatives in the playoffs to be battle-tested.

If that's the case, I think that's amazing. To rest your ace, against your hated rival, when you have absolutely ZERO on the line...I just can't fathom that happening. I'm not finding ANYTHING about it on the internet, but his prior start was the 21st against the Giants, he pitched yesterday, and the Cubs played 5 games in between those two games, so the story adds up. Crazy.

Yea. He wanted the same starters that faced the Giants to face the Padres.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #4080
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I knew the Twins would go in the tank once they clinched. The bad part of playing in such a crap division. So much for home field advantage.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #4081
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Braves get a sweep when they needed it most. And it's got to be nice for Bobby as a nice big FUCK YOU to the only team that refused to honor him this year. Eat shit, Marlins, and start packing your bags for your new stadium so you can thankfully stop fucking up the Dolphins field.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #4082
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't know about turning a corner but what he was doing in the first half of the season was absolutely filthy. The fact that people don't really pay attention to pitch counts is still absolutely baffling. Not- go to 100 and yank. But if you have someone go 115+ the previous time, they'd better be 100 or less next time.

Jimenez went 128-118 back to back in late May, early July.
Thru 128-118: 87 IP, 29 BB, 78 K 0.93 ERA, .233 BABIP
After 118: 126 IP, 61 BB, 126 K, 4.45 ERA, .307 BABIP

Basically, he's walking a few more guys (1 per 2 IP rather than 1 per 3 IP) and I think that comes from being overworked.

Also, he had a low BABIP and was getting pretty darn lucky. Later on, he's basically been average. Put together a higher walk rate and BABIP returning to the norm and, well, with more runners you're going to give up more runs.

SI
Throwing too many pitches causes your BABIP to regress to the mean? He was pitching well, but getting extremely lucky - same reason I expect guys like Cahill, Sanchez and Buchholz to regress somewhat next year and Liriano, Lincecum, Masterson to "recover" or "breakout".
Old 09-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #4083
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's why I said argued that there were 2 pieces of his equation- yes, his BABIP regressed to the mean. But he also has a higher walk rate and I was arguing that comes from throwing too many pitches

SI

Old 09-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #4084
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We're #1!!!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #4085
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's why I said argued that there were 2 pieces of his equation- yes, his BABIP regressed to the mean. But he also has a higher walk rate and I was arguing that comes from throwing too many pitches
The higher walk rate is something, but it accounts for 1-1.5 more baserunners per game - not enough to account for a 3.50 difference in ERA (and it's entirely in line with his career numbers - so it's quite possible those ~10 fewer walks allowed in 89 IP was just statistical noise and not something Ubaldo had improved). It's almost all the regression in BABIP, HR/FB - was at 1.9%, now at 5.2% for the season, and Strand Rate - was at 92%, now at 76% for the season. He actually has a higher xFIP this season than last.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #4086
kingfc22
Head Coach

Pat Burrell baby!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #4087
Tasan
College Starter

Rangers won today on a walk-off strikeout. You read that right. Go find the highlight at mlb.com
Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #4088
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Rangers won today on a walk-off strikeout. You read that right. Go find the highlight at mlb.com

What a clutch play. That guy really knows how to win.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 AM   #4089
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Two out of three, Atlanta. That's all we need.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 AM   #4090
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Two out of three, Atlanta. That's all we need.

I think all that does is clinch a one-game playoff for the wild card, no?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #4091
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I think all that does is clinch a one-game playoff for the wild card, no?

Two wins puts them in because San Diego and San Fran play each other. Either San Diego loses at least one and cuts the magic number to 2 anyways, or they sweep and then two wins would be enough to put the Braves ahead of the Giants.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #4092
Easy Mac

Lets say the Braves sweep. How huge are those three extra home games this Fillies got this year.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #4093
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Lets say the Braves sweep. How huge are those three extra home games this Fillies got this year.

Really? We're still whining about this?

Get over it, Francis.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #4094
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm not sure what you are arguing here; this seems to be a side issue away from the Yankees altogether. But as for the statement you are challenging (I guess?), it's simply a fact. Are Americans not prideful of being Americans simply because they were born in the USA? This is a newsflash?

Missed this. But something being a fact does not make it a rational decision.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #4095
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Somewhat less important that the Braves' losing record against the Washington Nationals.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #4096
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
As big as the 9x Philly played in interleague vs. NYY/BOS while ATL only played TB 3x? Philly also had 3x vs. MIN and TOR while ATL played CHW and DET.

Red Sox would be in the same situation of they finished 1-2 games back of the Yankees. How big would it be that the Sox had 3 more games vs. Philly, COL and SF while the Yankees got 6x vs. the Mets and 3x vs. HOU? That's 9 additional playoff teams we play (EDIT - 6 now that COL's fallen off, but they're still better than either the Mets or Astros). If you're going to have small divisions and make winning them ultra-important, the schedules should be the same. Messing with it to enforce "rivalries" when there are only 3-4 that both sides care about is dumb. Atlanta and Toronto are not rivals in any sense of the word, but they're paired together basically so we can have the two cross-town series 6x a year.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-30-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #4097
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseba...-home-farewell

Jays bid farewell to Cito Gaston at home. While we didn't get to the playoffs in his 2nd stint with the club, it's still our 4th winning season in five years and I'm proud of them for bringing him back for a few years and giving him a proper sendoff.

Top Plays | Must C Comical: Blue Jays honor Cito with mustaches - Video | bluejays.com: Multimedia

All of the players painted their faces with his trademark mustache on his night and they unveiled his name on the Level of Excellence, too.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #4098
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Pat Burrell baby!!!

That was fucking amazing - was at the game, absolute goddamn blast. As fun a Giants crowd as I've ever seen.

My favorite moment - in the 7th inning, Bochy came out for Lincecum (at 110 pitches, with 10K's) and Timmy refused to leave. Chris Young had not been out all day, and Timmah strikes him out.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #4099
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Really? We're still whining about this?

Get over it, Francis.

Man, you don't have to like it, but its a legit point - pretending your advantage is "Whining" is ridiculous.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #4100
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Somewhat less important that the Braves' losing record against the Washington Nationals.

w00t!

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote