Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #4101
path12
Coordinator

The Fantastic Mr. Fox - 8/10 Wes Anderson animated movie of a Roald Dahl book. Clooney, Meryl Streep, Bill Murray. I really enjoyed this, very quick witted and entertaining. First Wes Anderson movie that's carried its momentum the whole way through for me besides The Life Aquatic.

Up - 9/10 Very sweet. Glad I finally caught it. I believe my dog and Dug are related.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #4102
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Toy Story 3 - 8/10: Very well done. Amusing and had some teary eyed moments in the end. Mark of a great movie when it can have you laughing and then cause you to tear up as well. Great animation, great voice work, and the best part is that you can follow along well even if you forgotten most of the first two movies (as I have... it's been very, very long since I've seen them).
Old 06-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #4103
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Breed (2001) - 6.5/10
The Breed (2001)

Buddy cop movie set in a vampire alternate reality, filmed in Hungary. Cheesy special effects (the ending is truly awful in that regard) but unlike the IMDB reviews, I thought the Eastern European locations & the admittedly Brazil inspired visions worked in some way to make a fairly engaging movie. The visuals reminded me of Blade Runner, to some extent the whole movie does albeit in a low budget way.

Really not as bad as I would have expected if you had told me the details before I watched it.

edit to add: Watch for cameos from both Dustin Diamond (Screech) and William Hootkins (aka Biggins)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-27-2010 at 01:56 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:08 AM   #4104
rowech
Pro Starter

Shutter Island (8/10) -- I think I liked the book better but the movie was well done for the most part. Leo is really a great actor. Highly underrated in my opinion. I could definitely see folks not liking it but I thought it was good.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #4105
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Odd, we just watched it last night also. I really liked it but it wasn't hard to figure out the majority of the "twists" but was still fun.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #4106
Groundhog
Coordinator

Strange, because my flatmate hired that movie last night too. He said he guessed the "twist" 5 minutes in, but I haven't seen it so I don't know what that twist was...
Old 06-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #4107
Groundhog
Coordinator

Geek Him to the Greek - 6.5/10
Not as funny as it should have been considering what they had to work with, but enough funny moments to carry it through. I actually think some of the most entertaining stuff was Brand's normal dialogue, very well written. P-Diddy (or whatever he calls himself these days) is a surprisingly good comedy actor too.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #4108
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

A-Team 9/10

I really liked this movie for what it was a very fun unrealistic movie based on a series. It may have been my mood but I was constantly chuckling throughout and was just flat out entertained start to finish. Is this movie a masterpiece? No. A whole lot of no way throughout but a very well done entertaining action movie.

Knight and Day 6/10

About what i expected. Some decent action mixed with some whitty dialog. I expected a bit more action but overall I was entertained and not annoyed by Tom Cruise.

Toy Story 3 - 9/10

A very good third installment of an awesome series. Some good humor along with some heart tugging parts. The movie flew by and my kids were glued to their chairs the whole time while never asking "how much longer".
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #4109
Kodos
Resident Alien

Knight and Day: My wife and I had a rare date night and saw this. It was pretty entertaining, although it requires you to suspend a whole lot of disbelief. There was basically no attempt to make things realistic. Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz were both good. I've come to a point where I can forgive Cruise for being a bit of a dumbass in real life. He's just plain a good actor.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #4110
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

28 Days Later 8/10

I thought this was a really good post apocalyptic / zombie style movie. The acting was very good and the storyline kept me engaged the whole time. The action was pretty good, but did not dominate the entire movie. The apocalyptic cause was fairly original for the genre. The characters were developed well throughout the movie.

Paranormal Activity 5/10

Not bad for a horror flick with POV through a hand held camera. Not really as good as The Blair Witch Project (that one was very original), but it did pay out in the end, letting you know what happened. The acting was pretty decent and it was pretty short, just under an hour and a half. Overall it was an average movie.

Once In The Life 3/10

A crime story about two brothers who are criminals and screw up. A third guy that is an old friend steps in and you just get to see what dirty losers everyone of them are. It is directed by Lawrence Fishburne and he acts in it. All in all not very good acting and nothing original. Although I almost turned it off, I went ahead and finished it. There is a small role played by Gregory Hines. I thought it might be Arsenio Hall at first based on the poor acting and Hines and Hall have a similar look. Ah, Gregory Hines has lost his chops.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #4111
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
28 Days Later 8/10

I thought this was a really good post apocalyptic / zombie style movie. The acting was very good and the storyline kept me engaged the whole time. The action was pretty good, but did not dominate the entire movie. The apocalyptic cause was fairly original for the genre. The characters were developed well throughout the movie.

Paranormal Activity 5/10

Not bad for a horror flick with POV through a hand held camera. Not really as good as The Blair Witch Project (that one was very original), but it did pay out in the end, letting you know what happened. The acting was pretty decent and it was pretty short, just under an hour and a half. Overall it was an average movie.

Once In The Life 3/10

A crime story about two brothers who are criminals and screw up. A third guy that is an old friend steps in and you just get to see what dirty losers everyone of them are. It is directed by Lawrence Fishburne and he acts in it. All in all not very good acting and nothing original. Although I almost turned it off, I went ahead and finished it. There is a small role played by Gregory Hines. I thought it might be Arsenio Hall at first based on the poor acting and Hines and Hall have a similar look. Ah, Gregory Hines has lost his chops.

Sadly, Hines has lost a lot more than that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #4112
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Toy Story 3 - 9/10 - What everyone else has said. Just phenomenally well done, and a definite must-see. As opposed to Avatar, I actually really enjoyed the 3D effects in this movie. I think I may have had a defunct set of glasses for Avatar - I was continually distracted by what seemed smudges or blurriness during Avatar, and I must have cleaned off the glasses with my shirt a billion times. In Toy Story 3, the 3D effects seemed much more smoothly integrated and I had no problem with the glasses.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #4113
Atocep
Coordinator

Toy Story 3 7/10 - Not as big of fan of this as others apparently. I thought it was easily the weakest of the 3 and one of their weaker films overall.

Spoiler
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #4114
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Shutter Island (8 / 10): A very enjoyable psychological thriller. I was particularly struck by some of the camera work, which was quite well done without giving you that "they're shooting from weird angles just to be different" vibe. I also still maintain that Martin Scorsese is the only director that can make Leonardo DiCaprio worth a damn to watch (Departed, Aviator, Gangs of New York).
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #4115
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd argue that "Catch Me If You Can" and "Blood Diamond" prove you wrong.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #4116
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Hot Tub Time Machine (8/10) - I don't know how the reviews were for this, but I liked it- I laughed a lot. It had a horribly weak plot, but thats not why I watch stupid funny movies.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #4117
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Martin Scorsese is the only director that can make Leonardo DiCaprio worth a damn to watch (Departed, Aviator, Gangs of New York).

Hopefully we'll be able to add Nolan and Eastwood to the list soon.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #4118
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Hopefully we'll be able to add Nolan and Eastwood to the list soon.

I disagree with DK's original premise, but, putting that aside, curious.

Obviously, Nolan is Inception. What project is DiCaprio working on with Eastwood?

That sounds like it could be a good fit, with the types and quality of movies they do.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #4119
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'd argue that "Catch Me If You Can" and "Blood Diamond" prove you wrong.

I'm also throwing in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #4120
korme
Go Reds

Leo's the man in all his roles lets be honest
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #4121
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

DiCaprio is playing J. Edgar Hoover in Eastwood's "Hoover" for 2012.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #4122
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
DiCaprio is playing J. Edgar Hoover in Eastwood's "Hoover" for 2012.

That's right. Just read about that the other day and forgot. That should be a good one.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #4123
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I'm also throwing in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

Let's face it--he was good in Titanic, too. It's just that that movie was so shoved down our throats, no one wants to bring it up again.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #4124
Kodos
Resident Alien

Promise me you'll never give up!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #4125
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Let's face it--he was good in Titanic, too. It's just that that movie was so shoved down our throats, no one wants to bring it up again.

No doubt. If Titanic never came out, no one would have ever regarded DiCaprio as being a bad actor. I mean, he already had an Oscar nomination for Gilbert Grape and made a name for himself by holding his own opposite De Niro in This Boy's Life. Even in the movies that were uneven, he was unsquestionably strong in them - Marvin's Room, Basketball Diaries, and then later Revolutionary Road.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #4126
miked
College Starter

My word, I watched probably the 2 most different movies yesterday.

The Slammin' Salmon 5/10, whatever, it was a Broken Lizard movie and was mildly funny. I was entertained, though there were a few too many little twists. Not as good as Beerfest or Super Troopers, but I didn't want to turn it off early.

The Road ??/10, not really sure how to rate this one. It was so epically depressing, I can't say I walked away from that movie feeling good. It was probably the most depressing movie I had seen in a while, and I never read the book so it was sort of a shock. It was beautiful though, well acted, the cinematography or whatever was pretty good, but man this was rough to watch.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #4127
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Opinions vary on the value of Leonardo DiCraprio...I thought he was shite in Blood Diamond. Anyway...

The Last Airbender (3 / 10): I'm not familiar with the manga, so I went into this strictly looking at it as it's own movie, and boy was I disappointed. The storyline is crap, and the dialogue felt like it was written by a ten-year-old. The only reason I even rated this turd as a 3 is because of the visual effects. The manipulation of the different elements was really done quite well, especially the water. So if you want to see water, fire, earth and air do some cool stuff, check it out. Just don't expect there to be much in the way of a compelling storyline or good acting to tie it all together.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 07-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #4128
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Obligation dragged me to watch Twilight Saga: Eclipse.

Please kill me now.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #4129
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Your man-card has been revoked.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 07-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #4130
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Your man-card has been revoked.

I surrendered it at the ticket counter.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #4131
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I watched The Dark Knight again this weekend- It's still awesome. 10/10

Finally got Avatar on Blu-Ray from Netflix - 7/10 it was pretty good, it looked great on my new TV. I don't think I'd watch it again anytime soon- but was good.

Last edited by Doug5984 : 07-06-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #4132
rowech
Pro Starter

Youth in Revolt (6/10) -- Thought I would really like this one but I have a feeling the book is much better. Michael Cera should have been the perfect guy for the role but it was ho-hum. Some funny parts but the whole movie felt crammed into an hour and a half.

Valentine's Day (4/10) --The crappy try at repeating "Love Actually". (and yes, I love the movie Love Actually)
Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #4133
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Brooklyn's Finest 2/10

Okay so going in I figure Ethan Hawk, Richard Gere and Don Cheadle in a movie has got to make it at least decent. Oh I did forget Wesley Snipes was in the movie so maybe that should have been a red flag. This was definitely one of the worst movies I have seen in a while. Slow movie, bad plot, bad acting etc. Bad bad bad. There were some female nudity but even that was not worth the time i wasted watching this.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #4134
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Despicable Me 10/10 - Roommate managed to get me a pair of tickets to the sneak preview this evening, and I am glad to report that this movie surpassed even my high expectations. I loved the storyline, it was touching, humorous, and well paced. I will very happily go spend money to see this movie again in the theater.

Yes, I am aware that I did give this a higher rating than Toy Story 3.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #4135
rowech
Pro Starter

She's Out of Your League (6/10) -- Decent movie. There were a couple of laugh out loud moments and some chuckles throughout.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #4136
korme
Go Reds

Knight and Day (2010) - Hey, I actually really enjoyed it. Some unbelievable things happened (duh), but there were some good laughs, and it was a fun summer movie. Good. 7/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #4137
sabotai
General Manager

Twilight - 2/10 - And this isn't a 2/10 because of the hype or anti-hype. This was a horrible movie in every possible way. It gets a 2 simple because it's not as bad as many movies I have seen on MST3K. Need to give a little wiggle room. I mean, it didn't have the boom mic visible in multiple shots, or had it where the audio didn't sync up with the video at all.....and that's the best thing I can say about it. The acting was horrible, the directing was terrible, the cinematography was awful, just everything about this movie was dreadful.

At least I laughed quite a lot.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #4138
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Twilight - 2/10 - And this isn't a 2/10 because of the hype or anti-hype. This was a horrible movie in every possible way. It gets a 2 simple because it's not as bad as many movies I have seen on MST3K. Need to give a little wiggle room. I mean, it didn't have the boom mic visible in multiple shots, or had it where the audio didn't sync up with the video at all.....and that's the best thing I can say about it. The acting was horrible, the directing was terrible, the cinematography was awful, just everything about this movie was dreadful.

At least I laughed quite a lot.

The second one is worse.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #4139
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

(500) Days of Summer - 6/10
I dunno, it wasn't quite what I expected it to be, and I felt kind of disjointed through the movie. I realize that may have been the intent, somewhat, but for me, it distracted me enough that I stopped paying attention for bits. Then again, maybe it just hit a little close to home, who knows.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (subtitled) - No rating
I loved the book but I really couldn't get into the movie. It may have been because I wasn't really digging reading the subtitles--since I've already read the book, I wanted to actually "watch" and I spent my time focusing on the words below the screen. I stopped partway through, when I realized it just wasn't working for me. I will say, the person they cast for Lisbeth was alright, but I thought she should be shorter and..younger looking. The men who played Vangar (the older one and the one who was Harriet's brother) were spot on with how I pictured them when I read the book. Erika was not as hot as I imagined, based on the book, nor was Blumkist as "distinguished-looking" as I imagined. Even though I know they're peers, I always imagined Erika as younger-looking and Mikael as older-looking.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #4140
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
The second one is worse.

I thought it was better. Of course, better than the worst movie ever made makes it around the 2nd worst movie ever made. Twilight: New Moon - 3/10 Same problems as the first one, but at least we got to see some werewolves pwn a vampire. That was kinda cool. It's still emo vampire and emo werewolf are in love with an emo chick, though. And the CGI is fucking awful.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #4141
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I thought it was better. Of course, better than the worst movie ever made makes it around the 2nd worst movie ever made. Twilight: New Moon - 3/10 Same problems as the first one, but at least we got to see some werewolves pwn a vampire. That was kinda cool. It's still emo vampire and emo werewolf are in love with an emo chick, though. And the CGI is fucking awful.

I thought that they were both kind of 2-3ish, but the first one kind of seemed like it had a beginning/middle (climax)/end. The second one just seemed like it could have been a random, mid-season episode of a TV drama. It was more of a plot-mover but not much of a stand alone movie, in my opinion.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #4142
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I felt kind of disjointed through the movie

Well, when it's told in a non-linear fashion...
Old 07-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #4143
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd give Twilight about a 4.5/10, and New Moon like a 5.5/10. It was okay, there was some really dumb stuff in it, and some cool stuff. It's teeny bopper crap, but way less offensive then a lot of stuff that gets made these days.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #4144
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Obligation dragged me to watch Twilight Saga: Eclipse.

Please kill me now.

I got you beat. I saw it at the midnight showing opening, on my birthday.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #4145
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I got you beat. I saw it at the midnight showing opening, on my birthday.

I'm currently ashamed that I've been to a sporting event with you. Please explain.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #4146
DataKing
Pro Rookie

North by Northwest (7.5 / 10): This was one of those movies where I think I've seen the whole thing in bits and pieces over the years flipping channels, but never all in one sitting. I've always enjoyed Hitchcock's stuff (in particular some of his cinematography and music), and this one was no different, but Vertigo remains my favorite Hitchcock film.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #4147
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
North by Northwest (7.5 / 10): This was one of those movies where I think I've seen the whole thing in bits and pieces over the years flipping channels, but never all in one sitting. I've always enjoyed Hitchcock's stuff (in particular some of his cinematography and music), and this one was no different, but Vertigo remains my favorite Hitchcock film.

I just love this movie. I'm a big Cary Grant fan though so that might be why I like it so much. Although, I enjoy him more in his comedy roles in Arsenic and Old Lace and Philadelphia Story even more.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #4148
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I just love this movie. I'm a big Cary Grant fan though so that might be why I like it so much. Although, I enjoy him more in his comedy roles in Arsenic and Old Lace and Philadelphia Story even more.

Grant's acting actually felt a little melodramatic to me in spots in this one, when he was trying to show real feelings for the movie's love interest. That being said, he was absolutely brilliant in his smart-ass-ad-man scenes.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #4149
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Grant's acting actually felt a little melodramatic to me in spots in this one, when he was trying to show real feelings for the movie's love interest. That being said, he was absolutely brilliant in his smart-ass-ad-man scenes.

If you haven't seen the other two movies I mentioned, I highly recommend The Philadelphia Story. Grant, Stewart, and Hepburn all in one movie. Tough to top.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #4150
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'm currently ashamed that I've been to a sporting event with you. Please explain.

I had class the night before and wasnt planning on doing anything that night. I didn't wait in line and showed up 20 minutes before it started. The movies are entertaining enough for me and I didn't pay for the ticket.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote