Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #4251
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I actually liked King Kong quite a bit. I thought Jackson nailed the old Hollywood style quite well and so did his actors who knew exactly the right tone to play their parts. (Especially Jack Black, who was terrific).

But Jackson actually had two great films before he even made the LOTR trilogy: Heavenly Creatures, which is a fucking amazing piece of work and he followed that up with the severely underrated The Frighteners, one of the more original (based on the way it mixed genres) films I've ever seen.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #4252
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I actually liked King Kong quite a bit. I thought Jackson nailed the old Hollywood style quite well and so did his actors who knew exactly the right tone to play their parts. (Especially Jack Black, who was terrific).

But Jackson actually had two great films before he even made the LOTR trilogy: Heavenly Creatures, which is a fucking amazing piece of work and he followed that up with the severely underrated The Frighteners, one of the more original (based on the way it mixed genres) films I've ever seen.

I agree. I really liked both "Heavenly Creatures" and "Frighteners". Also, don't forget about "Dead Alive". That shit's crazy.

I just found "King Kong" to be really boring. Just too much for me.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #4253
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

I actually think King Kong vs District 9 is an interesting comparison. I probably would rate both of them roughly the same rating 5/10 or 6/10. I actually enjoyed King Kong more when I saw it though since mostly what I had heard was that it was a bad movie or not very good. I was plesantly surprised when I watched it.

Neither one is a movie that I would put in my all time top 250 list, but it is interesting to see how expectations effect your enjoyment of a movie. I enjoyed King Kong more than District 9 simply because of that.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #4254
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

IIRC, Jackson only produced District 9. It was directed by some guy from South Africa (shocker, eh?).

I don't know if that makes a difference, but just pointing out that D9 might not have been entirely (or even much at all) Jackson's vision.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #4255
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
IIRC, Jackson only produced District 9. It was directed by some guy from South Africa (shocker, eh?).

I don't know if that makes a difference, but just pointing out that D9 might not have been entirely (or even much at all) Jackson's vision.

Yeah it was originally a short film before Jackson was even involved.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #4256
JediKooter
Coordinator

I thought District 9 was a pretty good movie. I think it was a rather inventive way to show how fucked up Apartheid was in South Africa. It wasn't the best movie in the universe, but, it wasn't bad.

King Kong though...I don't mind special effects, I don't mind putting your own mark on a older movie, but, come on man, get to the meat of the story. The 1933 and the 1976 versions were much better paced than Jackson's version.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #4257
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It wasn't... IIRC, Jackson just gave the money really. The director (Blomkampf or something) did just about everything else.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #4258
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'd give District 9 a 6 at the highest. "Heavy handed" would be putting it mildly.

Not sure if I posted a score for it, but I'd rate a 6 at the highest as well.

And I keep forgetting that Peter Jackson directed The Frighteners. I loved that movie.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #4259
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
King Kong though...I don't mind special effects, I don't mind putting your own mark on a older movie, but, come on man, get to the meat of the story. The 1933 and the 1976 versions were much better paced than Jackson's version.

The first time I watched King Kong I loved it. However on repeat viewings I end up turning off the movie about an hour into it.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #4260
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
And I keep forgetting that Peter Jackson directed The Frighteners. I loved that movie.

The hospital sequence at the end, where he shifts through time with brilliant editing, is as impressive as anything in LOTR.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #4261
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
The first time I watched King Kong I loved it. However on repeat viewings I end up turning off the movie about an hour into it.

I'm pretty much the same way. I watched once all the way through and now if it's on TV, I'll only watch about an hour of it. He should have cut about an hour and 15 minutes or so and nothing would have been lost.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #4263
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
When I saw KK in the theater someone there actually yelled out during the never ending monkey spinning on his ass on the ice scene, "Why the hell am I watching this shit?"
I'm gonna guess that the person was you, because you're EDGY.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #4265
Groundhog
Coordinator

BTW I have no idea if anyone has seen them outside of New Zealand and Australia, but Peter Jackson's first two movies - Meet The Feebles and Bad Taste - are amazingly terrible, in a good way.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #4267
Groundhog
Coordinator

Meet the Feebles is like a warped Muppets movie, and Bad Taste is like... well... imagine the first Evil Dead movie except with aliens, a lower budget, worse actors (the New Zealand equivalent of red necks ), and an awesome scene involving a chainsaw.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #4269
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Meet the Feebles sounds like it may work on a Labyrinth level. I'm assuming no David Bowie or Jennifer Connelly though.

Hmmm. Well, imagine Labyrinth, but filled with sex and drug jokes, no humans, and songs about sodomy.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #4271
Groundhog
Coordinator

After a quick read of the wiki page, Avenue Q sounds closer to the mark (and something I wouldn't mind seeing!).
Old 08-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #4273
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Ah, so Avenue Q.

It makes Avenue Q look fairly tame.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #4274
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yah, I guess the best warning would be that Meet the Feebles is rather... umm... rude.

Still, the songs are fairly impressive and catchy (my circle of friends still bust out the Sodomy and "On a magic night..." songs randomly from time-to-time) and the puppet work is top notch (Bad Taste has some impressive puppet work too, considering the budget).

It was pretty amusing in hindsight, because back in high school we had all seen Meet the Feebles/Bad Taste and quoted it all the time, and when The Frighteners was released, we were all like "Wow, is that the same dude that did Meet the Feebles?". And then of course there was that little LotR trilogy that followed.

Certainly wasn't a predictable career trajectory.

Last edited by Groundhog : 08-11-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #4275
larrymcg421
Head Coach

There's another Jackson film called Forgotten Silver, which I really enjoyed. It's a mockumentary about the discovery of very early films made by a New Zeland filmmaker that nobody knew about, but many of his advanced techniques predated DW Griffith. Jackson included interviews with industry types and critics (like Leonard Maltin). However, when this premiered in New Zeland , it was presented as a documentary and it wasn't until the following day that Jackson spilled the beans.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #4276
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The War by Ken Burns (9.5 / 10): I reserve 10/10 ratings for those movies that I find truly remarkable, and while this one doesn't qualify, it definitely comes close. This is actually a 7-part PBS documentary series about World War II, focusing on four different American towns and how the residents of each experienced the war. Extremely well-done, with a good mix of war footage (a lot of which I'd never seen before) and some really excellent interviews with veterans as well as people who remained on the homefront. Some of the footage and a lot of the interviews are quite powerful and moving. If you enjoy WW2 history, this is definitely worth checking out. It's no small undertaking though...seven episodes and each one is over two hours long. It's available now on Netflix On-Demand.

Daybreakers (6 / 10): I'm a sucker for vampire movies, so I figured I'd give this one a try. While the movie itself was decent, I did feel a little let down. The premise is a very interesting one; what would happen if vampirism actually spread to most of the world, to the point where there wasn't enough blood left to feed everyone. Basically an example of a parasitic organism self-destructing by nearly wiping out it's host organism. But the execution I felt didn't really do the story itself justice. Parts that would have worked very well as macabre were ruined by making them just gross instead. Still, an interesting premise and story, and not a complete waste of time if you're into this sort of thing.

Edit: And I too loved The Frighteners.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 08-11-2010 at 10:50 AM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #4277
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
The War by Ken Burns (9.5 / 10): I reserve 10/10 ratings for those movies that I find truly remarkable, and while this one doesn't qualify, it definitely comes close. This is actually a 7-part PBS documentary series about World War II, focusing on four different American towns and how the residents of each experienced the war.

If you like WW2 stuff I very much recommend you check out the Why We Fight films. Basically American propaganda shown to troops. Highly interesting and at times amusing. They're available online through the wikipedia article I linked.

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 08-11-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #4278
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
If you like WW2 stuff I very much recommend you check out the Why We Fight films. Basically American propaganda shown to troops. Highly interesting and at times amusing. They're available online through the wikipedia article I linked.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've added those to my queue. Looks interesting.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 08-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #4280
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Kick Ass. Loved it without having read the comic, but I'm likely to buy the all in one edition of it just to see the differences between the two.

Nitpick #1
Spoiler

Nitpick #2
Spoiler

I agree with both of these. While I thought Kick Ass was hilarious, I thought going in that it was going to be more of a Superbad type comedy than an action flick, probably because McLovin is in the cast. I enjoyed it but it was not what I thought it was going to be.

I also wondered about the grenades in the penultimate scene. As soon as I saw all the guys lined up in the hallway, I thought "oh yeah, the grenades" but using grenades in that situation wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying to watch.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:34 AM   #4281
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Other Guys - 5/10

There were certainly some very funny bits, but too many misses as well. Can't figure out why they felt the need to throw in some politics during the end credits sequence. You just made a silly comedy. Spare me the lecture, assholes.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #4282
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Expendables - 8/10

You won't find much in the way of plot. But, come on, you know what kind of movie this was.

Action, Action, Action. It's Stallone's ode to the 80's action flicks, and it doesn't disappoint.

It was about 1 hour and 30 minutes, and it flew by really, really fast.

Spoiler

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 08-14-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #4284
Groundhog
Coordinator

25th Hour - 8.5/10
Started watching this with no expectations and no real idea what it was about. Impressive movie, and I totally feel Hoffman's pain re: Paquin in this movie...

Ikiru - 7/10
Not as good as I expected it to be, considering nearly every other Kurosawa movie I've seen I've loved. It was kind of two movies in one really and, though I liked both parts well enough, it felt a little disjointed. I thought Red Beard is a better film of his with a similar(ish) theme.

Last edited by Groundhog : 08-14-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #4285
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - 10/10: Holy crap this was an amazing movie!! For anyone who really likes late 80s video games or arcade games, you will adore this flick. The gist is Scott Pilgrim has to defeat the 7 Ex's of the woman he's interested in before he can have her. It is presented in the format of an old video game with 7 bosses, each one having a point total when he beats them. The story is well done, clever, and absolutely hilarious! Cera does a fantastic job as Scott Pilgrim, mixing his trademark awkward kid with kick ass arcade game hero. The rest of the cast is completely incredible in their roles. The movie is very stylistically done and there are tons of little things that you could probably keep finding the 5th time you've watched the film.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #4286
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Kick-Ass - 8/10: Just a fun movie. Good action, interesting plot, and endearing characters.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #4287
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - 10/10: Holy crap this was an amazing movie!! For anyone who really likes late 80s video games or arcade games, you will adore this flick. The gist is Scott Pilgrim has to defeat the 7 Ex's of the woman he's interested in before he can have her. It is presented in the format of an old video game with 7 bosses, each one having a point total when he beats them. The story is well done, clever, and absolutely hilarious! Cera does a fantastic job as Scott Pilgrim, mixing his trademark awkward kid with kick ass arcade game hero. The rest of the cast is completely incredible in their roles. The movie is very stylistically done and there are tons of little things that you could probably keep finding the 5th time you've watched the film.

I would put it in the area of a 8, or 9, but it was a fun as hell movie.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #4288
TroyF
Coordinator

I'd have rated District 9 a solid 8.

The Other Guys - 7/10. As someone said above, there are plenty of misses. Some BIG swings and misses actually. There are some really big hits though. Some seriously funny parts that make up for the rest. I enjoyed this one.

The Expendables - 5/10 I wanted to see crap blowed up and the movie delivered. I knew going in there wouldn't be a plot worth a damn, and didn't expect it. That said, nothing fit together at all. I mean, nothing. I was entertained, don't get me wrong. But I can go to You Tube and get a mash up of great fight scenes and explosions and get the same feeling.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #4289
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 8/10: I warned my friend that this has either boom or bust potential, and nothing in the middle and I was right. As Issidiqui said, the way the whole movie was put together was just really clever and unique. My face hurt after the movie was over because I had been smiling the entire time. Say what you will, Cera is *very* good at playing that certain kind of role.

The Expendables= 7/10: I got exactly what I wanted out of this movie. Two hours of testosterone-filled awesomeness. The writing was laughable of course, but again, who cares in a movie like this. Jason Statham really stole the show in my opinion.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #4290
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Watched Brooklyn's Finest last night. Sort of dark and dragged on too much I thought.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #4291
JS19
College Prospect

Anyone ever seen the movie Cyrus? It has John C. Reilly and Jonah Hill. I've never heard of until a friend mentioned it, said it was pretty funny.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #4293
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Anyone ever seen the movie Cyrus? It has John C. Reilly and Jonah Hill. I've never heard of until a friend mentioned it, said it was pretty funny.

dont bother. too "real life", if that makes sense. absolutely nothing happens.

then again, i really dont like mumblecore
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #4294
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
dont bother. too "real life", if that makes sense. absolutely nothing happens.

then again, i really dont like mumblecore

It's true that nothing happens, but I think one's enjoyment of this movie comes down to whether you find John C. Riley and Jonah Hill funny even when they're not doing anything. I do, so I was amused for an hour and a half (which was just the right length).

Last edited by molson : 08-16-2010 at 10:22 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #4295
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just saw Scott Pilgrim vs the World, and liked it a lot. Solid 8/10 type movie. I'm saddened that it flopped at the box office.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #4296
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The Expendables (8 / 10): This was obviously one of those "check your brain at the door" sort of movies. I went in expecting a bunch of cheesy one-liners and a lot of explosions, and I got exactly what I was expecting. Yes, some (ok, a lot) of the dialogue fell flat, but those instances were mostly involving the more minor characters. The scene with Stallone, the Governator, and Willis actually didn't do all that much for me, but again this was mostly about the action. There was one surprisingly good dramatic scene with Rourke though, which I appreciated. It may have been a little out of place, but on its own the scene was quite good. But really, this was mostly about a lot of visceral action and testosterone, and did not disappoint.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #4297
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I haven't laughed so much in a theater in a long time. And it wasn't just me, the whole crowd was cracking up. A ton of fun. I highly recommend the books to anyone who sees it without having read them.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #4298
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Good article about what's wrong with movies today:

5 Annoying Trends That Make Every Movie Look the Same | Cracked.com
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #4299
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I haven't laughed so much in a theater in a long time. And it wasn't just me, the whole crowd was cracking up. A ton of fun. I highly recommend the books to anyone who sees it without having read them.

I've somehow never heard of this movie. I'm sure I've never seen the trailer, and I go to about 4 movies a month. I think there was a big marketing fail here if an $11 weekend was disapointing. I'm glad I heard about it here though, so I can make sure to check it out.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #4300
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Good article about what's wrong with movies today:

5 Annoying Trends That Make Every Movie Look the Same | Cracked.com

Very interesting. Some of those changes though, I think represent progress in filmmaking. Especially the moving cameras/fake documentary stuff. Camera-shaking can get out of hand, but subtle but constant camera movement can do a lot for action and war movies. I'm sure when Griffith and Eisenstein pioneered editing and jumping movie scenes from one physical place to another, and others started playing around with moving the camera at all - people were freaking out and complaining about a lack of realism. But now you couldn't imagine film without that stuff.