Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #4401
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Social Network - 9/10: Great film about how business and how it can destroy many relationships. Told through flashbacks from depositions of the two major lawsuits against Mark Zuckerberg, creator of Facebook, it really captures the machinations that made Facebook what it is today. Great, great acting jobs by Eisenberg, Garfield, and Timberlake (especially Timberlake) and wonderful filming. Paced excellently as well - didn't feel like 2 hours. Definite Oscar nominee for Best Picture.

I'm really impressed by Eisenburg. The friend I went with remarked that it was hard to believe the same actor was in "Adventureland". The mark of a great up and coming actor.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-05-2010 at 11:20 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #4402
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I'm really impressed by Eisenburg. The friend I went with remarked that it was hard to believe the same actor was in "Adventureland". The mark of a great up and coming actor.

I didn't realize that he was also in zombieland. Very different parts, both pulled off perfectly.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #4403
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I too was tremendously impressed with Eisenberg in this one. There were a ton of great performances in The Social Network, so for his to stand out even more is very noteworthy.

That said, I think he was fine with what he was given to work with in Adventureland. Frankly, the script didn't really call for him to do more than fill a fairly clichéd movie role.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #4404
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I'm driving the forty-five minutes to a real theater and plan on seeing Social Network and The Town back-to-back. Hope my expectations are not too high.

So did you do this? And if so, is your silence telling in a good way or a bad way?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 AM   #4405
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Got home at 12:45am and forgot to post my thoughts today :P

Saw both. Social Network was on at 7:10 and The Town was on at 9:40

I pretty much echo what everybody has said so far. Social Network was brilliant. It was brilliant in every way. The acting was just fucking great. The past few posts are literally a rehash of what I was telling a girl at work today. I said how it's fucking crazy that in a movie of this caliber, that Eisenburg stood out so much considering his previous roles of Adventureland and Zombieland. I thought both were good movies, the latter more then the former. But he didn't have to really dig deep in either. Social Network just showed what he was capable of. It will be interesting to see if this was the performance of his life or if a director can get this type of performance out of him every single time if the role calls for it. As good as Eisenburg did I feel Andrew Garfield was just as good. His performance only get better as the movie went along. Acting aside, Reznor's score was subtle yet brilliant. And in a movie as great as this one my favorite scene is honestly the opening scene. I caught myself smiling about 3/4's the way through the opening scene. I was smiling not just because the dialogue felt so.. real.. so.. it didn't feel scripted. I was smiling because that opening scene was just so well done, so beautifuly scripted, that I knew this movie was going to be fucking brilliant.

The Town was a good end to the night. My buddy asked me on the way out which one I thought was better and I thought for a minute and I really didn't like the question. Hands down, The Social Network was a better movie. Social Network was the total package. The Town did nothing new. It didn't touch on any special themes, or have any revolutionary cinematography. But what it was going for, it nailed. Not every great movie has do something new, fresh, whatever. I saw what you guys were talking about in Jeremy Renner. Last movie I saw him in was The Hurt Locker. One role, a sociopath bank robber. Another, a true patriot, an American soldier. He fucking nailed both. What range.

Ben Affleck, I want to read a New Yorker article on him. Some in depth analysis of his career because I don't fucking get it. How does somebody go from Daredevil, Gigle, Jersey Girl and then go on to direct two absolutely awesome movies in Gone, Baby, Gone and The Town. I watched Gone Baby Gone before there was any hype for it, and I was part of the hype machine. I'm a big big big fan of the art of movie trailers and Gone Baby Gone and thought, "Damn, this looks pretty damn good. " But, it's Ben Affleck. It was amazing. After I saw that I was ready to pronounce Casey Affleck as the next big thing. Not sure what happened to him, but Ben molded him into one hell of a character in that movie. He needs to keep this up. Be interesting to see what he does next. Does he stick with Boston? Is he only able to work around Boston, or can he create quality elsewhere?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #4406
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That said, I think he was fine with what he was given to work with in Adventureland. Frankly, the script didn't really call for him to do more than fill a fairly clichéd movie role.

I don't mean that he was BAD in "Adventureland" (or rather that my friend thought he was bad), but that the character was soooo different, from mannerisms to way of speaking that it was almost like someone else played that role.

And yes, Scoobz, the opening scene in The Social Network is freaking awesome.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #4407
Butter
Coordinator

Really surprised at the raves for The Social Network. Honestly, based on the trailer it doesn't look like my thing.

But then, it's David Fincher, so I really want to see it just for that alone. Sounds like I need to make it a point to see it based on what you guys are saying.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #4408
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Really surprised at the raves for The Social Network. Honestly, based on the trailer it doesn't look like my thing.

But then, it's David Fincher, so I really want to see it just for that alone. Sounds like I need to make it a point to see it based on what you guys are saying.

I kinda felt the same way before seeing it, Butter. I thought it would be interesting at least, and the reviews were surprisingly good. But even then I went in not sure what I was really going to get.

I'm not sure how to explain the end result then (how positive I am of it) without you seeing it. It's not a great special effetcs movie. While the context of facebook is currently relevant, the whole business backstabbing backdrop and the fall from virtue by way of wealth themes are basic stories that have been retold for generations now.

No, it's just a gripping story with great acting and dialogue. Kinda like the others talking about the opening scene, it just grabs you. I remember sitting in the theater and thinking, "This movie on the outside doesn't really do anything new, but I find myself fascinated and on the edge of my seat."

For some reason, I can never get the first line (or if not the first, it's pretty close) out of my head, and that's where Eisensberg tells his girlfriend there are more geniuses in China than there are people in the US. I mean, really, what? I don't know, it just hooks you. Ignore your preconceptions and go see it, and judge for yourself.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #4409
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just got back from The Social Network. A movie theater by me does a 10 AM kid friendly showing on Thursdays so I was able to go with my 6 month old and see it.

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Nothing to add that hasn't been said, just incredible.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #4410
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
A movie theater by me does a 10 AM kid friendly showing on Thursdays

That's pretty cool - I'm surprised more theaters don't do that.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #4411
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's pretty cool - I'm surprised more theaters don't do that.

Yeah, it is pretty cool. They dim the lights but don't make it totally dark and have concession runners because most parents are there alone.

You would think it would be a noisy, chaotic scene but it wasn't at all. A few random cries aside you would never know it was a theater with about 50 babies in it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #4412
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Yeah, it is pretty cool. They dim the lights but don't make it totally dark and have concession runners because most parents are there alone.

You would think it would be a noisy, chaotic scene but it wasn't at all. A few random cries aside you would never know it was a theater with about 50 babies in it.

50 babies!

I am reminded of that day care the Simpsons left Maggie in for a day. The one where Maggie and her new baby friends found a way to get their pacifiers out of a locker. Homer comes in looking for Maggie and freaks out because of the utter silence of a hundred babies, except for the sucking of pacifiers.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #4414
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Saw The Social Network the other night. It was entertaining enough.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #4415
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Jackass 3D - 10/10

It is what it is, and what it is is fucking brilliance. Better then the the first two, it just clicks. Nothing seemed weak and quite a few bits were just brilliant.

I have a strong stomach and there was even one thing that made me queezy.

Awesome fucking movie.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #4416
Raiders Army
Coordinator

MacGruber and The Karate Kid. Thought MacGruber was better than expected (which wasn't too hard) and The Karate Kid paled in comparison to the original, with the exception of Jackie Chan.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #4417
fpres
High School JV

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant - 6/10
Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - 6/10

I enjoyed both although Cirque was set up for a sequel which probably won't happen (given its box office performance).

Percy, Grover, and Annabeth = Harry, Ron, and Hermione?
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #4418
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Saw Solitary Man last night. Was entertaining enough, I thought. Solid flick, not too long and generally well done.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #4419
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have had Hurt Locker on my shelf from Netflix since.... February.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #4420
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Watch it. You won't be disappointed.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #4421
BYU 14
Coordinator

The Town - 8/10

Not a fan of Ben Affleck at all, but his performance in this movie was pretty solid. A bit predictible at times, but overall fairly well done. Some nice carnage scenes, without being too over the top and Affleck did a good job portraying the emotional tug-0-war he was going through. It was well paced and had a solid supporting cast

Thought the ending was pretty well done too as the two most likely outcomes did not occur.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 10-19-2010 at 12:37 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #4422
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

A Man Named Pearl - Just picked it randomly on Netflix. A neat story. 8/10

Sonicsgate - Yeah, you know the story of the Sonics move, but still a well-done independently made flick that's free online.

All The Days Before Tomorrow - 7/10

The Exploding Girl - 6.5/10

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-21-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #4423
heybrad
Norm!!!

Paranormal Activity 2 - 9/10

I went to a special showing last night that showed the original at 10am and then went straight into the sequel at 12:01am. I know the original was a movie that people either seemed to love or hate (no middle ground) so take my review from the perspective that I loved the first one. If you hated the first one, don't bother with this one. It's much of the same but the scares are more frequent and of a couple of different varieties. One thing that probably helps my review is the fact that a good horror movie should really be seen in a crowded theater and the place was packed full last night. It makes it so much more fun for me to see and hear everybody freaking out throughout the movie.

Last edited by heybrad : 10-22-2010 at 10:29 AM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #4424
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Not a movie, but I got the first disc of Sports Night in from Netflix. Man, this is a great show (not that I'm really surprised, given that it was a Sorkin show).

Sports Night - 10/10

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #4425
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Not a movie, but I got the first disc of Sports Night in from Netflix. Man, this is a great show (not that I'm really surprised, given that it was a Sorkin show).

Sports Night - 10/10

/tk

Quite possibly my favorite series of all time. Definitely one of those shows that falls in to the "Great show that nobody watched."
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #4426
Bad-example
College Starter

The Hurt Locker - 5/10 Very disappointing. Long action scenes with almost zero character development. The movie looked great and all the actors were fine but the writing/pacing killed this one for me.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #4427
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I have had "The Secret in their Eyes" since it came out a month ago. I don't know why i subscribe anymore.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #4428
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Lol. I've had the same three discs for two months. I've been to the movie rental place a few times since then. Makes no fucking since but I can't bring myself to cancel it.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #4430
fpres
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
Paranormal Activity 2 - 9/10

I went to a special showing last night that showed the original at 10am and then went straight into the sequel at 12:01am. I know the original was a movie that people either seemed to love or hate (no middle ground) so take my review from the perspective that I loved the first one. If you hated the first one, don't bother with this one. It's much of the same but the scares are more frequent and of a couple of different varieties. One thing that probably helps my review is the fact that a good horror movie should really be seen in a crowded theater and the place was packed full last night. It makes it so much more fun for me to see and hear everybody freaking out throughout the movie.

I saw this last night and have to give it a 9/10 as well. I felt it tied in quite nicely with the original. The overall experience was enjoyable all around.

It would've been great to them back-to-back in the theater like you did...alas, I had to settle for a repeat viewing via Netflix the night before.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #4431
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Watched Beautiful Girls and Whip It. I was pleasantly surprised by Whip It and thought Beautiful Girls was just great. Natalie Portman was awesome in one of the better roles by a kid I've ever seen.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 10-27-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #4432
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Watched Beautiful Girls and Whip It. I was pleasantly surprised by Whip It and thought Beautiful Girls was just great. Natalie Portman was awesome in one of the better roles by a kid I've ever seen.

I love the movie Beautiful Girls. Just a great movie in my opinion. Extremely underrated in my opinion.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #4433
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I finally convinced the wife to watch Shutter Island with me (I too hadn't seen it yet). I have to say, I'm starting to become a big "Leo" fan after his last few films. Shutter Island surprised the hell out of me, and Inception was...well...Inception.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #4434
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

See that is what I find odd. I really despised Shutter Island. I think Leo did a great job but I just found the whole movie kinda boring. Now Inception I loved. I saw Inception the theater and rented Shutter Island so I wonder if that is part of the reason. With four kids running around the house sometimes movies are not quite the same at home.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #4435
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Don't Let Me Drown - 6.5/10

Urban teen drama set a month after 9/11. Two Latino teens living in Brooklyn fall in love with the drama of the obvious in the background. It was decent, but probably not something I'll remember.

Winter's Bone - 8/10

Story of a seventeen year old girl supporting her twelve year old brother, six year old sister, and mentally sick mother. She lives in the poor, back road, Ozarks surrounded by meth and OxyContin. Her father has posted bail with the house and land as collateral and if he doesn't show up for court she is on her own. She must track him down, but nobody is talking and many want her to shut up.

Very well done. The setting is bleak and depressing. The acting is great. I would recommend this one.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 10-28-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #4436
fpres
High School JV

The Boys Are Back (2009) - 7/10 -- Enjoyable.

Suspiria (1977) - 4/10 -- I'm sure I'll get bashed for this since it's considered a classic, but it just didn't click with me. Artistic and atmospheric? Absolutely. I needed much, much more in the plot and acting departments to get into this one though. This was the second time I tried watching Suspiria (I fell asleep about thirty minutes into it about ten years ago).

The Box (2009) - 2/10 -- The last half-hour ruined this one for me. When it was over, I could only think to myself, "Seriously?" The short story ('Button, Button') which provided the basis for the movie was far better.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #4437
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Date Night - 7.5/10

Really enjoyable, I love me some Tina Fey.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #4438
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Social Network 10/10 As everyone has said, this is a very good movie. I will pretty much go to anything Fincher directs for a good long while. Agree with the comment about Andrew Garfield's performance. it was stunning. Heck even Justin Timberlake did a good job here.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #4439
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Toy Story 3 (9.5/10) - Finally saw this and it exceeded my high expectations. The only thing that kept it from a 10 is the recycled scenes from the Toy Story 2. For example, I thought they could come up with a different backstory for Lotso instead making it exactly the same one they used for Jessie. While the ending was wonderfully done,

Spoiler
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #4440
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpres View Post
Suspiria (1977) - 4/10 -- I'm sure I'll get bashed for this since it's considered a classic, but it just didn't click with me. Artistic and atmospheric? Absolutely. I needed much, much more in the plot and acting departments to get into this one though. This was the second time I tried watching Suspiria (I fell asleep about thirty minutes into it about ten years ago).

Yeah, I bought this on DVD years ago for a stupidly high price, and thought the same as you. Wasn't very impressed except for...

Spoiler
Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #4441
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Toy Story 3 (9.5/10) - Finally saw this and it exceeded my high expectations. The only thing that kept it from a 10 is the recycled scenes from the Toy Story 2. For example, I thought they could come up with a different backstory for Lotso instead making it exactly the same one they used for Jessie. While the ending was wonderfully done,

Spoiler

Spoiler

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #4442
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Spoiler

SI

Spoiler
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #4443
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Death In Gaza - 10/10

Very powerful. James Miller and Saira Shah filmed this documentary in the Gaza Strip and focus on the day-to-day lives of children of this war. It focuses on two twelve year old boys, best friends, and both dream of being martyrs. It focuses on a sixteen year old girl who has lost six young relatives. This was also James Miller's last film as he lost his life while creating this. The filming ended with his death. I was left breathless, heartbroken, and numb listening to these children rationalize their life ambition of dieing in the name of God. This film has no bias. It's strictly an observation into the daily lives of these kids.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #4444
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Wartorn: 1861 to 2010

HBO Special, hour long, about PTSD. I recommend it to anyone. It was on my Time Warner On-Demand.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-13-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #4445
Groundhog
Coordinator

Jackass 3D: ?/10
Don't know how to rate this, but enjoyed it. Some of the scenes... oh lord...

The Social Network: 8.5/10
Really good film, would've rated it higher if it hadn't got so much hype. I was expecting Zuckerbeg to be a bigger douchebag given what I'd read about all this in the past (esp. the chat logs), but I guess they were forced to make us semi-sympathetic towards him.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:32 AM   #4446
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Unstoppable (8/10) I actually think it's more like a 7.5 with me, but I admit I was at the edge of my seat with the tension of it, which was well done, so I edged it up a little. A good enough thriller, but maybe not as good as the reviews have made it out to be.

I don't post my reviews every week of what movies I see, as I see a lot of them, but I wanted to post this one because it was only in reading about this one that I came to realize how many movies I have seen (and enjoyed) that were directed by Tony Scott, who directs this one.

Scott movies among my top faves:

Top Gun
The Last Boy Scout (guilty pleasure)
True Romance
Crimson Tide
Spy Game
Man On Fire

Scott movies I found decently enjoyable:

Beverly Hills Cop II
Enemy of the State
Deja Vu
The Taking of Pelham 123
Unstoppable

I am sure it helps that Denzel is one of my favorite actors and clearly he and Scott enjoy working with one another (5 of the above have Denzel in them).

Old 11-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #4447
Bad-example
College Starter

The Lovely Bones - 2/10

Peter Jackson directed it but other than some really cool visuals there isn't much reason to watch this one. It reminded me of that movie where Robin Williams died and found Cuba Gooding Jr waiting for him in the afterlife. Except it was 10x worse. Ouchie.

Whip It - 7/10

Nothing special but nothing to really complain about either. With the Girl Power theme it looks like a nice dvd gift for any adolescent girls you need to buy an Xmas gift for. Directed by Drew Barrymore. Fun enough to kill a couple hours. The girl in the lead was really good I thought.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #4448
tarcone
Coordinator

True Romance is one of my favorite movies
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:16 AM   #4449
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

8/10

Great set-up for the final encounter in Part 2.

I loved the fact that they stayed relatively close to the book this time around. They finally introduced BILL WEASLEY! Well, of course, they had to... because of the wedding.

Can't wait til the finale.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #4450
JediKooter
Coordinator

Predators - 7/10

Not quite what I expected, but, I think it was because I was thrown off by how the movie started. I'd watch it again and actually made me want to see a new 'Predator' movie if one is made.

Man Adrian Brody has a HUGE nose!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 11-22-2010 at 10:36 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote