Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #401
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
how could you make that against the rules?

I'm not for it, but it would be easy to do. Just say there can only be four players, not including the pitcher or catcher, on one side of the imaginary line from second base to the center field fence.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #402
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm not for it, but it would be easy to do. Just say there can only be four players, not including the pitcher or catcher, on one side of the imaginary line from second base to the center field fence.
How many shifts are really that aggressive? Plus you could just have your SS just to the right of 2B and moving to his left at the pitch. Seems like any attempt to legislate it would just be open to loopholes anyway.

Now, I do hope they actually put in a pitching clock and try to enforce it. I know no ump is going to call a ball in the playoffs or in a late tight game, but that's not when I mind things taking a little longer. It's those random days in mid-June when you can save 10-15 minutes with certain starters (Clay Buchholz comes to mind.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #403
molson
General Manager

Why can't professional hitters just go the other way against an aggressive shift? If they can manage a weak ground ball they're on base.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #404
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

i always wondered that... adam laroche was an extreme pull hitter....just learn to do a mediocre bunt! keep people honest.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:13 PM   #405
bronconick
College Starter

I thought one did that this year to break up a no hitter.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:17 PM   #406
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
i always wondered that... adam laroche was an extreme pull hitter....just learn to do a mediocre bunt! keep people honest.

Yep, that or the equivalent of a swinging slap bunt to push it the other way past the pitcher. Moose did that a couple times last year later in the year for cheap hits.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:32 PM   #407
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

We don't need the rule makers to create a level playing field. We should reward those individuals who see the shift as an opportunity, not as an inequality.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #408
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Yep, so the Colby Lewis-types can throw at you the next time you're at the plate.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #409
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wondering where James Shields is going to land at this point. Seems like a repeat of the Ervin Santana situation. Getting awfully late in the process.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-26-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #410
rowech
Pro Starter

The way I've always looked at the shift is that it is an intentional walk without the guarantee of the base. Based on run expectancies:

Runner on 1st with nobody out = .83 runs

With bases empty, nobody out = .47 runs

So you're looking at needing to bunt at 57% success to make it valuable to bunt. However, that generally removes your best power guy from the lineup automatically so I wonder how that would affect the expected runs.

My gut is you should always try to take the free base but I can see why players/teams don't.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #411
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
The way I've always looked at the shift is that it is an intentional walk without the guarantee of the base. Based on run expectancies:

Runner on 1st with nobody out = .83 runs

With bases empty, nobody out = .47 runs

So you're looking at needing to bunt at 57% success to make it valuable to bunt. However, that generally removes your best power guy from the lineup automatically so I wonder how that would affect the expected runs.

My gut is you should always try to take the free base but I can see why players/teams don't.

It's far more than just the one power guy. The Royals had three and sometimes four guys in the lineup get the shift on a regular basis last year. It's not just the cleanup hitter that's getting the shifts anymore.

With that said, I love the shift. It's somewhat shocking to be honest that professional players exist that aren't able to do something as simple as slapping the ball the other way or bunting it to get a hit. They SHOULD be challenged with a shift until they can prove that it won't work against them.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-26-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #412
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Excited for Royals FanFest this weekend! It's always been a great event, but it's going to be nuts this year.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #413
Atocep
Coordinator

Dave Stewart hires Joe Carter as his special assistant to the GM. I don't believe he's ever held a front office position.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #414
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the wait has finally ended for Shields. Apparently headed to the Padres.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/108732...-james-shields

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-09-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #415
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So the Padres are apparently a thing now. When did their front office figure things out? They still have to play the games, but this is one of the best offseasons I can remember seeing by any team in terms of improving the team on paper without mortgaging the future like crazy.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #416
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
So the Padres are apparently a thing now. When did their front office figure things out? They still have to play the games, but this is one of the best offseasons I can remember seeing by any team in terms of improving the team on paper without mortgaging the future like crazy.

I personally think their moves are a pretty big gamble, but we'll see.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #417
stevew
Hall Of Famer

19 year old Cuban Yoan Moncada may get up to a 30-50million bonus? Plus a 100% penalty. Geez.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #418
stevew
Hall Of Famer

As long as Julio Franco keeps playing somewhere, I will always feel like a young man.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #419
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

SI, you wouldn't believe the atmosphere around KC. People are nuts for the start of spring training. It's been a long time since I've seen this much interest in the team. It's a ton of fun.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #420
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
As long as Julio Franco keeps playing somewhere, I will always feel like a young man.

I saw him play last season for the Fort Worth Cats. He was only a DH in the game I went to. Got a walk, hit and run if I remember correctly.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #421
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yesssss I love seeing Julio Franco mentioned.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #422
molson
General Manager

Franco's baseball reference page is a thing of beauty just with the MLB stats, but I'd love to see a consolidated one that included stat lines for his time with all minor league and Japan teams too.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #423
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm guessing this is what prompted stevew's post.

Julio Franco signs at age 56 with Japanese independent league team - ESPN
Old 02-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #424
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
19 year old Cuban Yoan Moncada may get up to a 30-50million bonus? Plus a 100% penalty. Geez.
Kid's a stud. How much would Soler get on the market now? Or, more Pirates specific, Polanco? Another pitcher popped up out of nowhere too who should get $20m+(plus the matching penalty) Yadier Alvarez Emerges While Other Cubans Move Closer to Deals | FanGraphs Baseball

I really wanted the Sox to sign Moncada before, but as it becomes more likely he'll stick at 2B he isn't worth as much to us (because of Pedroia and Betts) as other teams. Alvarez would be a nice consolation prize.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #425
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

They have some sharp people running the show there.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #426
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The Yankees are retiring the number of Pettitte, Posada and Williams? Really? What are they smoking?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #427
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's a clown question.

Edit-
Pettite was a key member of 5 championship teams, Posada and Williams were on 4

Last edited by stevew : 02-17-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #428
PilotMan
Head Coach

February 19th is almost here. Spring fever approacheth.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #429
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
That's a clown question.

Edit-
Pettite was a key member of 5 championship teams, Posada and Williams were on 4

I'm more concerned with his nearly 4 ERA and his nearly 1.40 WHIP in a yankee uniform and the PED admittance. But I think it has more to do with his personality and his 219 wins not so much the rings (Cone has 4 with NYY).

I think its an added plus (for him) that he has a super high number. If he wore #11, I'm guessing it wouldn't be retired. So I think that helps his borderline case, IMO.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #430
Ramzavail
College Starter

That said, Bernie definitely deserves it. That guy could hit.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #431
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Williams - never a top 5 MVP candidate, a good player but not worthy of number being retired.

Posada - Not close to being worthy of having his number retired (a career .273 hitter with one season over .300, 1 season with over 100 RBI)

Pettitte - 219 wins with the Yankees over 15 seasons,, about 14 and a half wins per year, ERA of 3.95, 1.35 WHIP

Not one of them has any hardware (MVP, Cy Young). Give them a plaque and move on. Retiring the number waters down the other retired numbers. Unless you think they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, etc...
Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #432
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Williams - never a top 5 MVP candidate, a good player but not worthy of number being retired.

Posada - Not close to being worthy of having his number retired (a career .273 hitter with one season over .300, 1 season with over 100 RBI)

Pettitte - 219 wins with the Yankees over 15 seasons,, about 14 and a half wins per year, ERA of 3.95, 1.35 WHIP

Not one of them has any hardware (MVP, Cy Young). Give them a plaque and move on. Retiring the number waters down the other retired numbers. Unless you think they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, etc...

Mattingly, Dickey, Maris, and Guidry have their numbers retired. I don't think Williams, Posada, and Pettitte are going to be out of place.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #433
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Mattingly was a career .300 hitters and one of the best players in the game during his time with the team. He has an MVP award to go along with that. Led the league in various stats multiple times.

Bill Dickey was in the MVP running multiple times and was considered the best catcher of his era.

Roger Maris had 2 MVP awards and held the single season HR record.

Ron Guidry has a Cy Young, nearly had a couple others and almost had an MVP. Led the league in wins and ERA multiple times.

The only thing Pettitte ever led the league in (or was tied for) was games started, twice.

The only thing Posada ever led the league in was grounding into double plays.

Bernie Williams never led the league in anything.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #434
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Alex Rodriguez's return to the New York Yankees

Long form article on Alex Rodriguez via ESPN. A really really good one.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-18-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #435
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

Hope he enjoys his seat on the bench hitting .220. Should be fun to watch.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #436
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Yankees have 25? numbers retired now. It's what they do. Just like the A-Rod bonuses for HR milstones, I guess you gotta put butts in the seats somehow when you're missing the playoffs multiple years in a row and only have 1 World Series this millennium.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #437
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Hope he enjoys his seat on the bench hitting .220. Should be fun to watch.

Yankee haters should hope for a lot of injuries and that ARod has to carry the cleanup spot while posting a .717 ops.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #438
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

How bad does ARod have to be for the Yankees to cut him? Under .200 average? OPS under .600?
Old 02-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #439
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I hope he hits .280 and hits 30 home runs.

And the Yankees miss the wild card by one game
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #440
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
How bad does ARod have to be for the Yankees to cut him? Under .200 average? OPS under .600?

I think he doesn't make it out of spring training. There's no at bats for him in the lineup and platoon DH(short side) have no value. I'm thinking he tweaks something, they give him a rehab assignment and if he can't hack it they work on a buyout.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #441
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Greater question..how long should retired numbers be retired for? In 100 years nobody can wear #3 on the Yankees? Williams/Posada/Pettite should be player's lifetime plus 10 years types.

Like, the Steelers only have 2 retired numbers for instance(and 7 or so out of circulation).

Last edited by stevew : 02-18-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #442
cartman
Death Herald

The Rangers have signed Rougned Odor, who is the younger brother of... Rougned Odor.

Texas Rangers sign Rougned Odor's brother, Rougned Odor - Lone Star Ball
Old 02-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #443
cartman
Death Herald

oof. Jurickson Profar is going to miss another season. He's going in for shoulder surgery.

Texas Rangers’ Jurickson Profar to have shoulder surgery Monday | Dallas Morning News
Old 02-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #444
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

I still haven't made it through the whole article (about 60% through), but so far it's pretty great.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 02-19-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:28 PM   #445
stevew
Hall Of Famer

A Rod is only worth the letters F and U
Old 02-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #446
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That A-Rod article was quite good. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:58 AM   #447
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Kind of cool seeing the hometown hero showing up around town in the off season. A couple of my friends, one was him showing up at their office. The other was him showing up at the high school to present the captain's jersey to my friend's son.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #448
Ramzavail
College Starter

wow nice
Old 02-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #449
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I had no idea B.J. Upton stood for Bossman, Jr. Anyways, all hail Melvin Upton, Jr, the shittiest player on the Braves.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #450
MrBug708
Head Coach

Yoan to Boston
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote