Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 AM   #401
molson
General Manager

Hmmm. Hopefully there's more to this game then, "Find the best route Monday morning, do that over and over again, repeat on Thursday".

I guess the strategy kicks in if you happen to be far away from the "best route".
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:51 AM   #402
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Just joined. Is there an FOFC company right now?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:10 AM   #403
Brillig
College Prospect

Not yet, no one has the money ($7,000) or miles (10,000) yet.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 AM   #404
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Hmmm. Hopefully there's more to this game then, "Find the best route Monday morning, do that over and over again, repeat on Thursday".

I guess the strategy kicks in if you happen to be far away from the "best route".

They need to crank down the bonuses for 'most-wanted' cargo. Right now it's the #1, #2 and #3 most important thing in determining the best route.

Actually, what would be best is if the need changed dynamically based on how much cargo was actually delivered to the city. That'd be cool.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:52 AM   #406
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Add me up.

Neon Chaos
Old 07-16-2007, 08:03 AM   #407
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Also, I haven't yet figured out how to "save" driver names in-game. Little help over here?
When viewing a driver, there is a 'save' icon on the top line (after the ID).
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:08 AM   #408
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Pulled into Richmond last night. Made a short run to Southport this morning. Heading to Jacksonville as soon as I am rested.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #409
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
They need to crank down the bonuses for 'most-wanted' cargo. Right now it's the #1, #2 and #3 most important thing in determining the best route.

Actually, what would be best is if the need changed dynamically based on how much cargo was actually delivered to the city. That'd be cool.

This is exactly what I was thinking. With this sort of system, the first few people to make the run would be rewarded, but slowly the rewards would go away. The game would seem less interesting if everybody is making the same run.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:21 AM   #410
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Agreed.

I also assumed, first time through (for some reason), that you didn't know exactly how much you'd make on a route until you were actually in the city, and calculating different routes from that city. I didn't realize that you could just go to the stats screen and immediately know how much every possible route in the game would generate. Kind of a downer.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 AM   #411
Brillig
College Prospect

Another idea I proposed on the Suggestion board was that you could only get each level ($100, 200, 300, 400, 500) of bonus once per cargo period. That'd also work.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:31 AM   #412
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Thumbs up great work!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
FM, I took your list from post 1 and added all of the URL links to make it easier to check people's profiles.

list of FOFCers known as drivers in the game (67 players):
Ageofquarrel
Alan T
Ardent Enthusiast
Axxon
azjoe02
Big Tuna (MrBigglesworth)
BrianD
Buster Hardiman (JetsIn06)
Cartman
Castlerock
Clark
Coder
ColoradoGKB (gkb)
DanGarion
dansik (illinifan999)
David Gonzalez (kingfc22)
Detox
DiamondCutter (JonInMiddleGA)
DoucheDaddy (jackyl)
Fast Eddie (Brillig)
FBPro
Frog Man
Gold Golden (gold101)
Hawk4669
Heybrad
HoosierDude
I. J. Reilly
Izulde
Jaygr
Jeebie Dee (JeeberD)
JeffNights
Karlifornia
KevinD (Celeval)
Kildar (daedalus)
Kyle Wesley (MrBug708)
Lathum
Leadfoot5 (PadresFan104)
Mike Stone (condors)
MikeVic
Molson
Nathan Hicks (GoSeahawks)
NoMyths
NTN Deacon
Omnivore (Dark Cloud)
Ozias
path12
Phototropic
Pumpy Tudors
Pwhite (TCY Junkie)
Radii
Ragone
RainRaven
Router Help
RP Shedson (RPI-Fan)
RushBronco (Crim)
Ryno104 (Ryno)
Scoobz
Shkspr
SirFozzie
Sleepy Jesus (Julio Riddols)
SnDvls
sooner333
Tarcone
TazFTW
Thomkal
TLK14 (TheLionKing)
Vexroid (vex)

wow, great work! I've updated my list in the first post with this version and will do it that way from now on.

FM
Old 07-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #413
tarcone
Coordinator

Dammit. decided to take an overload (46k) of veggies to NYC. To earn $511 for the overload, I have received 2 $100 tickets. Sigh.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #414
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Dammit. decided to take an overload (46k) of veggies to NYC. To earn $511 for the overload, I have received 2 $100 tickets. Sigh.

that $511, is that the extra you are earning for being 6k over the 40k limit, or the total payout of that route?

Also, where did you start from?

FM
Old 07-16-2007, 10:17 AM   #415
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Another idea I proposed on the Suggestion board was that you could only get each level ($100, 200, 300, 400, 500) of bonus once per cargo period. That'd also work.

I'd also like to see a number of routes that seriously lose money. Going back and forth from the top cargo to the nearest city is the easy call right now. If going straight back to the top cargo city lost money, people would have to develop better circular routes.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #416
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
It might not be a bad idea for FOF to be a regional business right away. In fact, looking at the terminals of the bigger companies, if we concentrated in the SW we could clean up at a time like this, with the biggest two resources being down there. I also haven't run into much bad weather down south here either.

Where do we see the biggest resources? I'm just out of Seattle to Las Vegas with 40,000 lbs of oil. Was going to pick up clothing there and take to Nebraska, then pick up some nuc waste there and take back to Yucca Mtn.

I find myself just clicking on random cities to see what they need though, so if there's an easier way that'd be cool.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #417
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That same thought crossed my mind last night as well.

Another "it'd be cool if" that comes to mind (although maybe it's in the game & I dimly just haven't spotted it) is that if it would tell you approximately where you are at the end of a trip leg. For example, I know right now that I've covered about 800 of the 1100 miles between Jacksonville & Corpus Christi, but I don't know if that puts me in Texas or Louisiana or where.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-16-2007 at 10:33 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #418
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Where do we see the biggest resources? I'm just out of Seattle to Las Vegas with 40,000 lbs of oil. Was going to pick up clothing there and take to Nebraska, then pick up some nuc waste there and take back to Yucca Mtn.

I find myself just clicking on random cities to see what they need though, so if there's an easier way that'd be cool.

You can't carry nuclear waste until you have a driver rating of 50.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #419
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

go to games statistics (last link on the left side pannel) and there you'll find cargo and city statistics.

FM
Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #420
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

http://www.trukz.com/stats_cargos.asp

And other stuff at the main stats page
http://www.trukz.com/stats.asp
Old 07-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #421
MikeVic
Head Coach

So does anyone know if having negative cash on hand is bad? Seems like you don't get penalized. I have all my cash in the bank, and a negative balance on-hand.

I recall someone in this thread making that observation as well, but don't think anyone else commented on it.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #422
Celeval
Pro Starter

You can pull your money from the bank at any time to cover the negative balance, so I'm not sure how much it matters.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #423
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So does anyone know if having negative cash on hand is bad? Seems like you don't get penalized. I have all my cash in the bank, and a negative balance on-hand.

I recall someone in this thread making that observation as well, but don't think anyone else commented on it.

I made that comment earlier, that I had put all of my money in the bank to collect interest before midnight last night and then I did my refueling and truck repairs with all of the money in the bank. Instead of it pulling it from the money in bank, it made me go negative cash on hand. I still got interest on the money in the bank as well. My guess is when I deliver my next load, that will take care of the negative cash on hand balance. I have yet to see a penalty for having negative cash on hand and a large amount in the bank
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #424
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I made that comment earlier, that I had put all of my money in the bank to collect interest before midnight last night and then I did my refueling and truck repairs with all of the money in the bank. Instead of it pulling it from the money in bank, it made me go negative cash on hand. I still got interest on the money in the bank as well. My guess is when I deliver my next load, that will take care of the negative cash on hand balance. I have yet to see a penalty for having negative cash on hand and a large amount in the bank

same here

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #425
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
You can't carry nuclear waste until you have a driver rating of 50.

Oops. There goes that plan.

Also thanks for the links FM and JiMG.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #426
dervack
College Prospect

I'm also in the game as Michael Dervack and because of my work schedule getting changed last minute, will miss my first cargo delivery date. Doh
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #427
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Kind of sucks knowing that negative cash has no penalty at all. I know it's my own stupidity, but when starting the game I went with the cheapest truck thinking I'd need some pocket money. I'll be purchasing a new truck once I finish my current route and I'll be pumping every dime I have into it.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #428
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Though I'm not playing, I do find it a touch odd that the game's designer opted for Southport instead of Wilmington. Wilmington (or Morehead City, even) have major deepwater ports while Southport isn't even really a port at all and is probably the smallest town in the game, if I had to guess. Certainly strange that it's a place to go and someplace like Boston or Chicago is not.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #429
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
I'm also in the game as Michael Dervack and because of my work schedule getting changed last minute, will miss my first cargo delivery date. Doh

try switching your gameplay to casual. That way you should have 30 days to accomplish delivery, but will receive 20% less in fee. Maybe it's better to pay the $50 penalty though...

FM
Old 07-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #430
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Qwikshot is working on the convoy...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #431
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
try switching your gameplay to casual. That way you should have 30 days to accomplish delivery, but will receive 20% less in fee. Maybe it's better to pay the $50 penalty though...

FM
Oh yeah, the $50 penalty isn't going to kill me, I'll be taking hauls when I got time to spare, it's just that I thought I did this weekend, when I don't now. I'll still make some cash from this one, I think.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #432
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
Kind of sucks knowing that negative cash has no penalty at all. I know it's my own stupidity, but when starting the game I went with the cheapest truck thinking I'd need some pocket money. I'll be purchasing a new truck once I finish my current route and I'll be pumping every dime I have into it.
Yea. I bought the most expensive truck (almost no money left) and picked a route that I could finish without re-fueling. Coasted into town on fumes while passing cheap fuel on the way. Then paid close to $3 a gallon. :-(
Old 07-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #433
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Has anybody been having trouble with money in this game? It seems like there isn't much fight to make money and the main competition is to see who can make the most money the fastest. Are there any actual risks anywhere?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #434
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Has anybody been having trouble with money in this game? It seems like there isn't much fight to make money and the main competition is to see who can make the most money the fastest. Are there any actual risks anywhere?

From what I have seen, the only times I have had to take risks is following unlucky spells. Ie: my truck breaks down, and suddenly I'm not looking like I will make my deadline. Or weather sets in, or such. Once that happens suddenly you have to decide if you want to just be late and take a penalty or push it and risk a crash or ticket.

Otherwise, as long as you plan accordingly, it seems like you never really have risks, and it is just a case of planning the best routes to make money faster than someone else.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #435
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
From what I have seen, the only times I have had to take risks is following unlucky spells. Ie: my truck breaks down, and suddenly I'm not looking like I will make my deadline. Or weather sets in, or such. Once that happens suddenly you have to decide if you want to just be late and take a penalty or push it and risk a crash or ticket.

Otherwise, as long as you plan accordingly, it seems like you never really have risks, and it is just a case of planning the best routes to make money faster than someone else.

Along those lines, is there any reason to not take a full $1000 loan to buy a bigger truck than you could normally afford? If interest is 2%/week, that isn't so bad. Making $1020 should take a day or two.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #436
MikeVic
Head Coach

Oh what the hell. I was selecting a new route today, and when I get to the dashboard, it says I have a ticket from my last destination last night! I was driving with a fatigue of 13 (trying to see how far I can go), and arrived at my destination with no messages of a ticket.

So now, I start my new route with 1 fatigue already.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #437
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Along those lines, is there any reason to not take a full $1000 loan to buy a bigger truck than you could normally afford? If interest is 2%/week, that isn't so bad. Making $1020 should take a day or two.

never thought of that and this got me thinking, and well, reading...

from the loans game guide:
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Trukz/index.php?showtopic=21
Quote:
On your left navigation menu you have a link called Loans. This is the place to go if you need extra money for your driver. There you will see a link called Request New Loan which will take you to the Take Out A Loan screen. Here you see driver ID, current cash available, interest rate, and loan amount. As a new driver you can get a loan from $50.00 to $1000.00 (the loans are in increments of 50's). As your driver rating increases you can take out more money (Driver Rating * 100) up to a maximum of $5,000. A 2% weekly interest rate will be applied to the first loan you take out and the interest rate will increase by one point for every new loan you take out. Interest is calculated on Mondays at 12:00 AM. Once you take out a loan the following information will be displayed for each of your driver’s loans:

Loan Date: The date you took out the loan.
Loan Amount: How much you took out.
Interest: The weeklyinterest rate you will pay for the loan.
Paid: The total amount you have paid on the loan.
Owed: Shows how much money you owe on the loan.
Payments: Details if the loan is closed. If not a form will display to make payments your loan

They said you can take more than one loan, but the second will carry 3%, the third will be at 4%, and so on.

Someone said you could take up to three loans in that thread, although I'm not sure where that comes from...

FM
Old 07-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #438
Brillig
College Prospect

Hmm, the Driver Rating thing doesn't seem to apply anymore - oh, and interest is applied immediately.

/sacrifices a $20 for the cause
Old 07-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #439
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

So since today is Monday, we could get a $3000 loan which would cost us $90. We then have almost the whole week to pay it off. I think I'm going shopping.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #440
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
I bet things will start moving towards having the top cargoes change every day or every other day (last week it was once a week, this week it is twice a week). That would take care of the problem as well. You wouldn't be able to do more than a route or two, and if you were on the other side of the country, it would take too long to get to the new best resource.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #441
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
So since today is Monday, we could get a $3000 loan which would cost us $90. We then have almost the whole week to pay it off. I think I'm going shopping.
I thought I read that you could only take out one loan a day...
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #442
Brillig
College Prospect

Yep, only one loan a day.

And if they go to changing cargos more often, then planning a route becomes progressively more worthless. At which point the game devolves to wandering about the country, getting paid random amounts.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #443
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
Yea. I bought the most expensive truck (almost no money left) and picked a route that I could finish without re-fueling. Coasted into town on fumes while passing cheap fuel on the way. Then paid close to $3 a gallon. :-(

I coasted into town on my last trip also because I was already to 11 on my fatigue and only had 6 miles to go. Sucked because I had to pay a ticket for going over HOS and on top of that ran out of fuel and had a tow fee on top of refilling gas.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #444
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So, about the cost of fuel ...
-- is the price constantly changing or is it stable between updates?
-- on the same line, if they're stable between updates, should we start logging the prices on our routes somewhere?
-- is the price in towns consistently higher/lower or variable vs on the road between towns?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #445
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I coasted into town on my last trip also because I was already to 11 on my fatigue and only had 6 miles to go. Sucked because I had to pay a ticket for going over HOS and on top of that ran out of fuel and had a tow fee on top of refilling gas.

Yeah, I think there should be some kind of modifier based on how close you are. Unless there already is.

I'm guessing whether you're 6 miles or 30 miles from your destination on your last leg, the probability of getting a HOS ticket is the same. But in reality, if you're only 6 miles away you should be able to make it without a ticket, don't you think?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #446
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So, about the cost of fuel ...
-- is the price constantly changing or is it stable between updates?
-- on the same line, if they're stable between updates, should we start logging the prices on our routes somewhere?
-- is the price in towns consistently higher/lower or variable vs on the road between towns?

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the price is always $2.50 in cities, and on the road a random price between $1.85 and $3.00.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #447
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
And if they go to changing cargos more often, then planning a route becomes progressively more worthless. At which point the game devolves to wandering about the country, getting paid random amounts.

yeah, and as I said on their forum, I like the "only get one bonus once per cargo period" thing because then you'd try to make a round trip kind of multi-staged route where you'd try to hit as many cargo bonus as you can before they change. Now if they change more often, say every day, you are only driving around and hoping one demanded cargo will be supplied from near where you are, only by luck...

FM
Old 07-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #448
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
I thought I read that you could only take out one loan a day...

That changes things quite a bit.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #449
Router Help

How do you overhaul your truck? (as in repair) I can do normal repairs, but I can't find where the overhaul option is.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #450
MikeVic
Head Coach

I want to play the game Cross Country Canada now...