Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #401
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Boise shouldn't have much of a problem winning out. Nevada maybe a little tough, and I'm hoping Hawaii shows up with the game being in Hawaii this year, but doubt it. Boise is #5 and could move up to 4 if LSU loses to florida. Other than that I don't see them moving up again unless more teams in front of them lose. I can totally see them going undefeated and falling a couple more spots though, which is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, but trust me, it will happen. in 3 or 4 weeks even if they don't lose a game I be they fall at least back to 5 (if LSU loses next week) or to 6 if they stay at 5 for a couple weeks.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #402
MrBug708
Head Coach

Man, our offensive playcalling sucked, our front 7 pressure sucked, and Kai Forbath is a god
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #403
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Way to go Houston. I mean, with you know, choking on the high ranking. But so it goes, I guess.

Hope Boise maintains their record all year against inferior opposition, because well..they're the only hope of busting the BCS this year, really.

TCU has a damn good team.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #404
JeeberDMack
Mascot

I'm currently in Denver for a friend's wedding (and Cowboys-Broncos tomorrow), so I wasn't really able to watch the game (was following along on my phone). But this is the biggest Miner win since at least '04 when we beat Fresno Jordan Palmer's sophomore year...and it's a huge boost for CMP when much of his luster was fading. I was SO glad to finally see the Miners feed the running game...Buckram's a beast, but Price loves to throw the ball and has gone away from him way too often this year.

Hopefully the Miners can build on this game and have a successful CUSA campaign after a less than successful non-conference slate.
JeeberDMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:34 AM   #405
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Looks like the ND didn't get in on the 2pt conversion as well. Shame they didn't review that one.

He's down at the half yard line...and yes I know I'm whining now

NCAA would love to have ND in the BCS.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:36 AM   #406
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm pissed at the officiating and have a damn good right to be, but it's still quite pathetic that we couldn't get a TD in the 6 cracks we had at it before kicking the FG to go up 27-22. And even more pathetic that we couldn't punch it in on that 3rd quarter drive either. Not to mention the way we let Tate run wild in our secondary, no pressure from our front 4, etc.

Should've won that game with or without bad calls from the refs...

Yeah the sad thing is Washington has been very good in the red zone while Locker has been the QB as far as I remember. Today was just pathetic. They didn't get the job done.

Looking forward I do have faith in the offense but the Oregon game really worries me. Im just not sure the defense will be able to stop the Oregon running game. I don't know enough about the rest of the pac 10 to know what to expect. Seems like other than WSU, everyone else could be a win or loss in any week.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #407
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Boise shouldn't have much of a problem winning out. Nevada maybe a little tough, and I'm hoping Hawaii shows up with the game being in Hawaii this year, but doubt it. Boise is #5 and could move up to 4 if LSU loses to florida. Other than that I don't see them moving up again unless more teams in front of them lose. I can totally see them going undefeated and falling a couple more spots though, which is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, but trust me, it will happen. in 3 or 4 weeks even if they don't lose a game I be they fall at least back to 5 (if LSU loses next week) or to 6 if they stay at 5 for a couple weeks.
Well the 3 SEC teams ahead of them should beat up on one another. Boise didn't look real good today against a mediocre FCS school, so I wouldn't say they don't have a problem winning out. The key to Boise's season is really what Oregon does. If Oregon can win the Pac-10, it gives them a huge quality win.

The team that should be up there is TCU. They have a really good team and have had one for years. The conference has some tough competition though with Utah and BYU on the schedule. If they can win out though, I don't know how they can be left out of the BCS considering their schedule is much tougher than Boise.

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-04-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #408
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Why Boise State can’t play for the BCS championship | Mr. College Football
Old 10-04-2009, 03:28 AM   #409
Schmidty
Coordinator

It doesn't matter how good they actually are, their conference will always drag them down.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:33 AM   #410
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Idaho 31, Colorado State 29.

Idaho has 4 wins. Their only bowl appearance in school history was the '98 Humanitarian Bowl (a win over Southern Miss.). Good stuff for that program.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:34 AM   #411
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
It doesn't matter how good they actually are, their conference will always drag them down.

Yup.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:38 AM   #412
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

That basically what I was trying to say. Houston is done now though, and there is a whole lot of season left for both Boise and TCU. but lets say TCU loses a game and Boise goes 13-0. I still think a 2 loss SEC team would get in the BCS Championship over boise. I'd love to see boise get in (I root for the wac), but I'm not sure A. that they would deserve it (although like I say, I'd still love to see it regardless) , and B. that anyone that has a vote will let it happen.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #413
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He's been really good, but Notre Dame doesn't play anyone.

I have to respectively disagree. This may have been the case a couple of years ago but no way would it be true ND play's no one . It is just something the ND haters in the media and out of it say all the time.
Here is Florioda schedule for this year they actually play one team with a winning record at this point. They have at least three absolute gimmes on there schedule:
Sat, Sep 5 Charleston Southern
Sat, Sep 12 Troy
Sat, Sep 19 Tennessee
Sat, Sep 26 at Kentucky
Sat, Oct 10 at (4) LSU
Sat, Oct 17 Arkansas
Sat, Oct 24 at Mississippi State
Sat, Oct 31 (18) Georgia
Sat, Nov 7 Vanderbilt
Sat, Nov 14 at South Carolina
Sat, Nov 21 FIU
Sat, Nov 28 Florida State

ND's:

Sat, Sep 5 Nevada
Sat, Sep 12 at Michigan
Sat, Sep 26 at Purdue
Sat, Oct 3 Washington
Sat, Oct 17 (7) USC
Sat, Oct 24 Boston College
Sat, Oct 31 Washington State
Sat, Nov 7 Navy
Sat, Nov 14 at Pittsburgh
Sat, Nov 21 Connecticut
Sat, Nov 28 at Stanford
Opponents
Record:31-15
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #414
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

So far ND has played nobody worth mentioning. There is no way ND gets through the rest of that schedule without two/three losses. I could see losses to USC, BC and possible one between Pitt and Stanford.

If and only if, Notre Dame wins out will I say that it's okay for them to bein a BCS bowl game. If they have two losses I might have something to say.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #415
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I have to respectively disagree. This may have been the case a couple of years ago but no way would it be true ND play's no one . It is just something the ND haters in the media and out of it say all the time.
Here is Florioda schedule for this year they actually play one team with a winning record at this point. They have at least three absolute gimmes on there schedule:
Sat, Sep 5 Charleston Southern
Sat, Sep 12 Troy
Sat, Sep 19 Tennessee
Sat, Sep 26 at Kentucky
Sat, Oct 10 at (4) LSU
Sat, Oct 17 Arkansas
Sat, Oct 24 at Mississippi State
Sat, Oct 31 (18) Georgia
Sat, Nov 7 Vanderbilt
Sat, Nov 14 at South Carolina
Sat, Nov 21 FIU
Sat, Nov 28 Florida State

ND's:

Sat, Sep 5 Nevada
Sat, Sep 12 at Michigan
Sat, Sep 26 at Purdue
Sat, Oct 3 Washington
Sat, Oct 17 (7) USC
Sat, Oct 24 Boston College
Sat, Oct 31 Washington State
Sat, Nov 7 Navy
Sat, Nov 14 at Pittsburgh
Sat, Nov 21 Connecticut
Sat, Nov 28 at Stanford
Opponents
Record:31-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
So far ND has played nobody worth mentioning.

Uh, Michigan, Washington, and USC aren't worth mentioning? What games are you watching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #416
MJ4H
Coordinator

Texas A&M fan apparently fell out of her dress on jumbotron last night after aggie first TD. This is all over several boards. Many confirmations from people there. I missed it apparently hanging my head. I bet we get video replay of it somehow. hehe
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #417
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Texas A&M fan apparently fell out of her dress on jumbotron last night after aggie first TD. This is all over several boards. Many confirmations from people there. I missed it apparently hanging my head. I bet we get video replay of it somehow. hehe

I'm disappointed in you for missing this.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #418
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Uh, Michigan, Washington, and USC aren't worth mentioning? What games are you watching?

Michigan is NOT a good team.

Washington is NOT a good team until they show that they are. Sure, they beat USC but they may not even go .500 in their conference.

And they haven't played USC yet, which is what I said.. they haven't played anybody worth mentioning "Our SOS rox!!!!".
Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #419
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm disappointed in you for missing this.

Oh me, too. I'll see if I can make up for it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #420
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Michigan is NOT a good team.

Washington is NOT a good team until they show that they are. Sure, they beat USC but they may not even go .500 in their conference.

And they haven't played USC yet, which is what I said.. they haven't played anybody worth mentioning "Our SOS rox!!!!".

Uh, ok. This is a pointless argument, you clearly have very little clue as to what you are talking about.

Quote:
Old 10-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #421
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Uh, ok. This is a pointless argument, you clearly have very little clue as to what you are talking about.

It will be decided over the course of the season. But in my opinion, Michigan will be 5th place in the Big 10 which doesn't amount to much to brag about in terms of who you beat.

Purdue, joke.

Michigan State, we'll see how their season plays out.

Washington, we'll see again.

Michigan, meh, but hey they may improve their SOS.

The rest of the games are where their real opponents are, and at that point I'll give the thumbs up or down to ND.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #422
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
The rest of the games are where their real opponents are, and at that point I'll give the thumbs up or down to ND.

And we'll all be here waiting with bated breath.......
Old 10-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #423
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And we'll all be here waiting with bated breath.......

As will everyone else..

I didn't mean to knock on ND schedule like it was the worst in the country.

I will end the stupid topic here and wait five more weeks before worrying about whether ND deserves a BCS shot or not. I don't know how good the Irish are yet based on who they've played and the two and a half games I've watched. It seems they've been more lucky than anything. But I'd rather be lucky and winning than great and losing those close ones.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #424
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yeah, I agree. Haters.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #425
Galaril
Pro Starter

Mr.Football what a joke total SEC Homer

"Tony Barnhart is a proud native of Union Point, Ga., located about an hour east of Atlanta."
Old 10-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #426
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Mr.Football what a joke total SEC Homer

The real joke is that there's even a remote possibility that Boise gets anywhere near a national championship in any scenario.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #427
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

I agree. BSU really needs to try and get into another conference (I am not sure the MWC even wants them). Maybe they go independent, like Notre Dame? At least that way they could schedule tougher opponents, with no conference schedule restrictions like they have right now.

I don't know, really. I think they have an incredible program but the WAC is such a terrible conference, BSU will never get a shot at any respect until they can play tougher opponents. Too bad really.

Quote:
Old 10-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #428
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I wonder what the spread on the UF-LSU game is going to open up at. I think that game looks ripe for an upset with the lack of respect, Tebow kind of up in the air, and it being @ LSU.

LSU has a much better chance at beating Alabama at Alabama, IMO. LSU defense has shown that it is very stout against conventional running attacks. Now the read option, LSU has struggled mightily with. I think Florida with or without Tebow will find a way to wear out the LSU D eventually by catching our still learning defensive players out of position. Would love to be wrong of course, and anything can happen in night game in Tiger Stadium.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #429
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I agree. BSU really needs to try and get into another conference (I am not sure the MWC even wants them). Maybe they go independent, like Notre Dame? At least that way they could schedule tougher opponents, with no conference schedule restrictions like they have right now.

I don't know, really. I think they have an incredible program but the WAC is such a terrible conference, BSU will never get a shot at any respect until they can play tougher opponents. Too bad really.

The MWC would be a good fit for them and I suspect if they were offered an invite they'd take it. But I suspect right now, they prefer the system as it is, with 2-3 MWC teams ranked in the Top 25, one of them having a shot to go undefeated annually and with Boise doing what they do, continuing to push the envelope on some sort of playoff.

With Boise in the league, then you have the teams beating up on each other more and rather than make the league look better, it could end up like the Big East or something with teams beating up on each other week after week and no one having a shot at a title.

I think they're just playing the system as it is right now, even if it's a bit ridiculous
Young Drachma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #430
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

Still waiting for the You tube link

Last edited by Galaril : 10-04-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #431
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
ND hasn't played anybody worthy yet. They will get murdered (I hope) by USC. They've won three of their games by a total of 13 points(one of them in OT). 3 to Michigan, 3 to Purdue(Seriously...?), and 7 to Washington, which of course was in OT and not a deserving win to say the least.
if you're really complaining about the quality of Michigan, MSU and Washington and touting "real" teams like BC, Pitt and Stanford I don't know where to go. USC's head and shoulders above anyone on the schedule and then there's a jumble of those 6 average to above average BCS schools. I'm sorry it's not a murderers row of Charleston Southern/Troy/Tennessee/Kentucky or ULM/Wyoming/Texas Tech/UTEP that the two other favorites have faced. Jacory Harris resurrected his chances with that 2nd half last night. Other than that, start naming players on top 15 teams the whole country has heard of. Tony Pike? Kellen Moore? Ryan Williams? Terrelle Pryor? Mark Ingram?

I'm also not sure how a poor defense that gives up 30 points and forces the offense to win games hurts a QB's Heisman chances.
Quote:
Clausen has good numbers but his team won't have won enough games by years end for him to be included in any discussions. Scott Tolzien has had a similar year than Clausen so far but you won't find him anywhere in the Heisman discussions. Why? Cause he's not a household name. The Badgers, imo, have had about the same schedule so far as the Irish.
Scott Tolzien 82-125 1043 9td 3int 8.34ypa 154.65 rating (vs. a gauntlet of Northern Illinois, Fresno St, Wofford, Michigan State, Minnesota - their best opponent is one of the ones you're deriding ND for)
Jimmy Clausen 100-148 1544 10.43ypa 12td 2int 179.25 rating (still 1st in FBS despite being brought down by the Purdue game where he was injured)

Even disregarding the publicity argument Clausen is head and shoulders above Tolzien so far, and since this is the Heisman trophy publicity is huge. I'm not going to defend it, but at least in this case it's not just media hype for a player whose stats don't reflect it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
Why did Oklahoma just kick a fieldgoal to come up short by 1 point? Do they have money on the game and they are trying to beat the spread?

With 4 minutes left to go in the game you have to go for the win with only 2 yards to go.
Ummm.... it was 4th and at least 9. And the spread was Oklahoma by double digits. But other than that, good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Way to go Houston. I mean, with you know, choking on the high ranking. But so it goes, I guess.

Hope Boise maintains their record all year against inferior opposition, because well..they're the only hope of busting the BCS this year, really.
Houston... yeesh. Couldn't even survive one week. But like someone else replied upthread, TCU is very good, already 9th in the polls, and will leapfrog Boise St if it wins out over BYU and Utah.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-04-2009 at 04:45 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #432
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm pumped up for the game next week at Camp Randall East.

That's a good one.

Wisconsin's defense is not what it once was. It will be at least a 2 TD spread in favor of Ohio State.

Too bad OSU and Cincinnati are not playing this year, THAT would be a game.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #433
Butter
Coordinator

Comments on the Clemson-Maryland game... it is almost comical to watch how many different ways Clemson can lose games over the years. If you can think of it, they've probably lost that way. You almost want to laugh through the tears, but you can't. Maryland is one of the worst teams in the ACC, and Clemson is proving that none of its road games can be assumed this season. Just a horribly played game all around.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #434
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC is #1 in the Sagarin rankings. Boise State is 6th:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt09.htm
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #435
Tigercat
College Starter

LSU is #1 on many of the computer rankings used for the BCS (including Sagarins used in the BCS), shows what those computer polls mean this early in the season.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #436
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Comments on the Clemson-Maryland game... it is almost comical to watch how many different ways Clemson can lose games over the years. If you can think of it, they've probably lost that way. You almost want to laugh through the tears, but you can't. Maryland is one of the worst teams in the ACC, and Clemson is proving that none of its road games can be assumed this season. Just a horribly played game all around.

Id rather not comment, hard to withhold the profanity.
The tide of fan opinion is quickly turning on the "new" coaching staff. I am still a fan of Dabo's but it appears that his decision not to hire a veteran OC is coming back to haunt him as many predicted.

You have the undisputed fastest football player in college football and he leads the team in catches, and you never throw a ball to him beyond 5 yards down the field.

I have been to EVERY game this year, watched every play, and I have yet to see a slant or simple out pattern ran all year. Our passing game is cutesy screens, hooks and zag routes. Our freshman QB is always a half football length off in his throws which leads to some drops and our WR have just butter-fingered the rest.

We have a DEFENSE though...

BTW not sure if anyone caught it on TV but Maryland's touchdown catch in the 2nd Quarter was clearly dropped...even reviewed and the ref missed it. I was sitting less than 10 yards from it, it hit the ground the receiver rolled on it, instead of celebrating he ran to the bench with a teammate and right by our seats (we were first row, bought at stadium for $20 spent a half in each set of seats I had) he said within ear shot "I scooped that shit up, hope they dont see it"
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #437
molson
General Manager

This year and next year were really Boise State's big chances to make BCS title game noise, and unfortunately, the schedule just isn't there.

It's not just the WAC. The voters are loving the Broncos, had them ranked higher in the start of the season than in recent years, so they had a lot less ground to make up in the polls

And this is what they schedule out-of-conference: Oregon, Miami (OH), Bowling Green, UC-Davis, Tulsa.

Their team should be even better next year, and the out-of-conference schedule is only marginally better: Toledo, Wyoming, Virginia Tech, Oregon St, Nevada.

I'd love to see them get to a BCS Bowl again this year, but they didn't give themselves a chance for a BCS Title game.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #438
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

We do have to remember that most of the games on schedule are actually scheduled a few years in advance usually. not sure on Boise's case. Oregon could help them a lot. I also try to keep in mind that not everyone wants to play boise, regardless of if it is on the road or at home. I wouldn't be surprised if some bigger name teams had actually turned them down for games.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #439
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah, when you see the creampuffs schedule by the top tier schools, it's hard to blame Boise State for their schedule. It doesn't look like there are alot of big name schools looking to play them.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #440
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
This year and next year were really Boise State's big chances to make BCS title game noise, and unfortunately, the schedule just isn't there.

It's not just the WAC. The voters are loving the Broncos, had them ranked higher in the start of the season than in recent years, so they had a lot less ground to make up in the polls

And this is what they schedule out-of-conference: Oregon, Miami (OH), Bowling Green, UC-Davis, Tulsa.

Their team should be even better next year, and the out-of-conference schedule is only marginally better: Toledo, Wyoming, Virginia Tech, Oregon St, Nevada.

I'd love to see them get to a BCS Bowl again this year, but they didn't give themselves a chance for a BCS Title game.
Not many teams are going to play them, and even fewer will give them a home game. In a perfect world, Boise could play all road non-conference games, but at some point they need to pay the bills and give something to their fans and students.

I'm pretty sure that if a major school offered up a home-and-home with them, they'd take it.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #441
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that if a major school offered up a home-and-home with them, they'd take it.

But what possible reason would a major have to do that? They gain little even with a win & a loss may not be I-AA disastrous but it would not sit well with the fan base of any major team (at least not in the east, not sure whether it would be less stigmatizing to some in the west).

Mid tier major conference programs might have a little easier time with it but it's a no-win deal for any major & most of them didn't get where they are by being stupid.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #442
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I'd say the addition of a second reputable BCS school is huge. If they had Virginia Tech instead of UC-Davis this year they might actually be in the title discussion
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #443
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But what possible reason would a major have to do that? They gain little even with a win & a loss may not be I-AA disastrous but it would not sit well with the fan base of any major team (at least not in the east, not sure whether it would be less stigmatizing to some in the west).

Mid tier major conference programs might have a little easier time with it but it's a no-win deal for any major & most of them didn't get where they are by being stupid.
They have no reason which is why the system is a fraud. It doesn't matter if Boise State has the most talented team in the country filled with a Tim Tebow at every position, they can never play or win a national title.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #444
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
We do have to remember that most of the games on schedule are actually scheduled a few years in advance usually. not sure on Boise's case. Oregon could help them a lot. I also try to keep in mind that not everyone wants to play boise, regardless of if it is on the road or at home. I wouldn't be surprised if some bigger name teams had actually turned them down for games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Yeah, when you see the creampuffs schedule by the top tier schools, it's hard to blame Boise State for their schedule. It doesn't look like there are alot of big name schools looking to play them.

Quote:
Not many teams are going to play them, and even fewer will give them a home game. In a perfect world, Boise could play all road non-conference games, but at some point they need to pay the bills and give something to their fans and students.

Quote:

Quote:
They have no reason which is why the system is a fraud. It doesn't matter if Boise State has the most talented team in the country filled with a Tim Tebow at every position, they can never play or win a national title.

This is one of the best discussions I have ever seen on here, hands down. It is nice to see other people see the same things I see. Very few major programs want to play BSU because they have very little to gain and a lot to lose. At the same time, BSU cannot afford to travel all of the time and play these schools in their stadiums (which is invariably what would have to happen for BSU to have a tougher schedule). They are essentially caught between a rock and a hard place.

Quote:
Old 10-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It doesn't matter if Boise State has the most talented team in the country filled with a Tim Tebow at every position, they can never play or win a national title.

Actually I don't know if I agree with this entirely.

If they had "a Tebow", much less several of them, then they're viewed pretty differently I think. But the distinction I'm drawing here is probably that "a Tebow" involves more than just his football talent.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #446
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is one of the best discussions I have ever seen on here, hands down. It is nice to see other people see the same things I see. Very few major programs want to play BSU because they have very little to gain and a lot to lose.

Nah, it's really not that hard to see I don't think. They're essentially a good mid-major caliber basketball team that's in a bad conference but in a sport where travel is a great deal more expensive due to sheer numbers.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #447
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Boise can make a NC, they just can't have any close games vs WAC teams. Go out there and win 45-7, 56-14, etc. You play close games vs other WAC teams and you lose. Fair, nope, but it's not like they can't control their own destiny in that instance. They just have to go Spurrier at Florida on every team they play and prove they're that much better then every other mid major.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #448
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Let's not forget that the NCAA made some rules regarding the amount of travel a team can do in a season as well.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #449
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually I don't know if I agree with this entirely.

If they had "a Tebow", much less several of them, then they're viewed pretty differently I think. But the distinction I'm drawing here is probably that "a Tebow" involves more than just his football talent.
By a "Tebow" I just meant a superstar at the position. If Tim Tebow himself played for Boise, he wouldn't be a Heisman candidate and not many people would know or care about him.

I guess that's what I'm trying to get at. The system is setup so that the big conferences get all the TV time, all the publicity, and all the fame. That even if Boise State had an amazing team, the media wouldn't really cover it the same way they'll cover a .500 Notre Dame squad. So it doesn't matter what they do, a 10-2 Ohio State squad will always have more prestige than a 12-0 Boise State squad (even if they beat every team by 50).

FBS is a little mix of sport and a little mix of WWE. I mean it's entertaining and exciting still to watch, but it's not like other sports where there is a real goal that has value which you all are trying to achieve.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #450
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
That simply isn't true. We had basically this same discussion a couple weeks ago and I pointed out that teams like TCU, BYU and Fresno State have no problem scheduling multiple BCS schools, even if it means going on the road more often than not. We simply haven't seen a team run through multiple good BCS teams OOC and avoid stumbling in conference afterwards. The closest is Utah, but in 2008 they were hanging their hat on a 2-pt win @ 3-9 Michigan and a 3-pt home win over 8-4 Oregon St. In 2004 they beat 3 BCS schools, but they were 7-4 Texas A&M, 6-5 UNC and @ 3-8 Arizona. In both of Boise's previous unbeaten seasons, their only BCS win was at home vs. Oregon St. If a team like BYU this year had beaten Florida State, or 2001 Fresno St. hadn't lost in conference (twice), they'd be in the discussion for the title.

Boise St. appears to be happy dominating their conference, playing one of the Oregon teams every year, and being in the BCS conversation. If they want to, they can be considered for the BCS title discussion, but it involves taking the Pat Hill/Fresno St. approach to scheduling and putting more games like @Georgia on the schedule.