Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #401
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

How come Jin and Sun never mentioned their daughter once during their death? That seemed stupid.

It's not like I'm not used to suspending my disbelief for Lost, but I'd like it to be in the course of some of those damned "answers", whereas this just seemed like a bunch of sloppy, contrived setup specifically to kill off Jin, Sun and Sayid in a manner that was spectacular, and not much else. Ultimately it came off pretty hollow to me. I was reminded of how I used to feel like this show was a well oiled machine, in terms of writing, production, and acting, and now it seems more like a bunch of random parts, duct taped together, thrown in a 5-gallon bucket.

I agree with this -- I'm pretty forgiving and allow a good bit of leeway, but the Jin and Sun death was just crap. With them having a daughter, you would think that Jin would suck it up for her sake and hope to get off the island to raise her. That just rang hollow to me. Maybe it is because I am a new parent, but I know it would absolutely suck, beyond belief, to lose your spouse, but when you have a child -- I cannot see leaving them without a parent as an option, no matter how hard.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #402
nole4sho
n00b

I sure would like to know how TPTB will tie everything up. Lost is nearing it's end and there are still things that are unsolved. What is Flocke's real name? Why can people communicate with the dead on the island? Assuming Flocke was Jack's dad does that mean he can leave the island after all?

Why doesn't anyone flat out ask what is going on? Why don't they ask Richard, Ben, Locke or whoever?

I hope the ending is worth it.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #403
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole4sho View Post
I sure would like to know how TPTB will tie everything up. Lost is nearing it's end and there are still things that are unsolved. What is Flocke's real name? Why can people communicate with the dead on the island? Assuming Flocke was Jack's dad does that mean he can leave the island after all?

Why doesn't anyone flat out ask what is going on? Why don't they ask Richard, Ben, Locke or whoever?

I hope the ending is worth it.

Flocke's real name was an anagram puzzle Darlton came up with. I'm pretty sure we learn it next week.

People communicating with the dead is probably something that won't be explained.

Flocke took the form of Jack's dad, if one is to assume that Flocke's true goal is to get off the island then I think you can infer that no, he was not who Jack saw off the island (I think it was actually Jacob).

They have asked, but in true Lost fashion get the run around like the rest of us
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #404
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

For those hoping for a full disclosure on things in the show I think the latest podcast shattered what little hope was left of that (I never thought they'd come out and explain everything tho I'd love for it to happen)

Basically they referenced the Architect scene from the Matrix said that scene sucked and was why they wouldn't do something similar (because most scenes like that suck)
Old 05-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #405
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

That's pretty much what they did with the whispers and that scene sucked.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #406
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000

Last edited by lordscarlet : 05-08-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: linked
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #407
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
For those hoping for a full disclosure on things in the show I think the latest podcast shattered what little hope was left of that (I never thought they'd come out and explain everything tho I'd love for it to happen)

Basically they referenced the Architect scene from the Matrix said that scene sucked and was why they wouldn't do something similar (because most scenes like that suck)

I never expected it all to be explained, but with each passing press conference my hopes of learning at least at enough to be satisfied (like the ABC version of Life on Mars) grows dimmer.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #408
spleen1015
Coordinator

I remember hearing one of the dynamic duo say that they would answer all of the questions that the characters need answered. If it is a question the characters don't need an answer to, we're SOL.

I am hoping the end is satisfying.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #409
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
I never expected it all to be explained, but with each passing press conference my hopes of learning at least at enough to be satisfied (like the ABC version of Life on Mars) grows dimmer.

So what exactly do you want to know to be "satisfied"?

What the island is? I don't think we're going to get a more detailed explanation than the bottle analogy we already got. Does it really matter if the island is made of mirror matter/an alternate universe/an alternate plane of existience/purgatory/etc?

Who Jacob and MIB are? I fully expect this to be explained this week, or at least as fully explained as it's going to be.

Who the child Flocke sees is? He's in this week's episode, I won't spoil more than that here but check out the previews on abc.com if you want a little more.

What the alternate reality is? I fully expect this to be explained before the series ends.

Who will replace Jacob or will MIB get off the island? Fully expect resolution here too.

What else is there?
Old 05-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #410
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
what did Locke whisper to Walt on season 1 when playing backgammon? I still think this so key. On that episode he did explain the white and black pieces in the game too.

If I recall didn't he tell him that a miracle happened. The miracle was that John could walk again.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #411
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
If I recall didn't he tell him that a miracle happened. The miracle was that John could walk again.

I think this is true, I'd have to rewatch to be sure...
Old 05-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #412
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I do want to know what the island is, how it disappeared into the Pacific, how Ben (and others) got off it. And, more importantly, how they get back. It doesn't have to be detailed explanation, down to the molecule, but generally I need to know this to be satisfied.

Other biggies for me:

Why Ben said, "We got a lot more than we bargained for" about Walt.

How can Hurley talk to the dead?
Why were the numbers broadcast?
What is Widmore up to?

The A-bomb result.

Bernard and Rose result in the wake of the blast.

There's more, of course, and some of this looks to be scheduled to be revealed, but I can only hope these are not skipped over.

OTOH, I do NOT want the Sawyer-Kate-Jack triangle resolved, so as to piss off all the whiny fat chicks.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #413
chesapeake
College Starter

I just caught up with the show this weekend. I share the general sentiments of the group on the deaths. The first was cliche and numbers 2 and 3 were done just to clear them out of the way. Those two deserved better.

Since we haven't seen Lapidus's body, I'm currently of the opinion that he made it out. They still need him to fly the plane off of the island. That appears to be the only reason they've been hauling him around. It can't be because of the chest hair.

Locke went straight to the bomb on the plane. I think thesloppy makes a good point about the bomb being set up and ready to go for Locke's purposes; but, rather than think it is far-fetched, I am hypothesizing that Widmore planted it ready for Locke to use. I think they are in cahoots.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #414
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I do want to know what the island is, how it disappeared into the Pacific, how Ben (and others) got off it. And, more importantly, how they get back. It doesn't have to be detailed explanation, down to the molecule, but generally I need to know this to be satisfied.

Other biggies for me:

Why Ben said, "We got a lot more than we bargained for" about Walt.

How can Hurley talk to the dead?
Why were the numbers broadcast?
What is Widmore up to?

The A-bomb result.

Bernard and Rose result in the wake of the blast.

There's more, of course, and some of this looks to be scheduled to be revealed, but I can only hope these are not skipped over.

OTOH, I do NOT want the Sawyer-Kate-Jack triangle resolved, so as to piss off all the whiny fat chicks.
As I've said before, I hope we find out what the island is but I doubt we'll get anymore explanation than the bottle analogy.

Walt filmed scenes for this season, presumably for the finale so hopefully his stuff will be resolved.

I don't think we'll find out why certain people have special abilities, i think they are just "special"

The numbers broadcast I think is a time loop, has Hurley broadcast them yet? That might happen in the finale. He has to broadcast the numbers so he plays so he ends up on the island to broadcast the numbers so he can play them etc... I guess it's possible they were broadcast in the alt timeline? Hopefully this is answered.

I'm sure we'll find out what Widmore is up to.

A-bomb created the other timeline/ability for them to be connected. I don't think this will be explained til the finale.

Who cares about Bernard and Rose? That's like complaining we haven't seen Shannon in the alt timeline... they aren't central characters
Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #415
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I just caught up with the show this weekend. I share the general sentiments of the group on the deaths. The first was cliche and numbers 2 and 3 were done just to clear them out of the way. Those two deserved better.

Since we haven't seen Lapidus's body, I'm currently of the opinion that he made it out. They still need him to fly the plane off of the island. That appears to be the only reason they've been hauling him around. It can't be because of the chest hair.

Locke went straight to the bomb on the plane. I think thesloppy makes a good point about the bomb being set up and ready to go for Locke's purposes; but, rather than think it is far-fetched, I am hypothesizing that Widmore planted it ready for Locke to use. I think they are in cahoots.

Personally I think everyone dies except Jack and Sawyer as they replace Jacob/MIB. I've thought this for a while but we'll see
Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #416
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Rose and Bernard are related to the A-bomb story arc. What happens to them seems central to that plot point. They were alive just before the Big Kaboom, so what became of them is far beyond a Shannon explanation.

I like your idea about Jack and Sawyer, and that would be cool.

If they keep the island as a cork analogy and state Ben using the donkey wheel was him tightening the cork--pushing it down--so that the island went below the water, I'm fine with that. But I want to hear that.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #417
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Rose and Bernard are related to the A-bomb story arc. What happens to them seems central to that plot point. They were alive just before the Big Kaboom, so what became of them is far beyond a Shannon explanation.

I like your idea about Jack and Sawyer, and that would be cool.

If they keep the island as a cork analogy and state Ben using the donkey wheel was him tightening the cork--pushing it down--so that the island went below the water, I'm fine with that. But I want to hear that.

The Ben thing would be a cool way of explaining it.

IDK, I just don't care that much about Rose/Bernard. I don't think they are adam/eve, i think who they are will be revelaed this week (my theory is based of the ABC promos for tomorrow night so I won't post about it in case people want to avoid them). It just seems to me they are more of a red herring than anything (common theory being they went back in time after the A Bomb went off, died in the cave becoming adam and eve).
Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #418
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

more and more this season Sawyer has been hellbent on getting off the island and Jack has been wanting to stay on the island... sound familiar?

Supposedly there's a clue in the pilot that hasn't been brought up yet, what that is I have no idea!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #419
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
more and more this season Sawyer has been hellbent on getting off the island and Jack has been wanting to stay on the island... sound familiar?

Supposedly there's a clue in the pilot that hasn't been brought up yet, what that is I have no idea!

I thought the clue was the backgammon (sp?) being the game of black and white pieces?

On a separate note, does anyone remember the details of when Richard told Locke that he would have to die? I was reading an EW article and they brought that up and I remember the line/delivery well, but I am having trouble remembering the context. It made me wonder if Richard was actually Smokey (at that time) or if something was shady about that exchange.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #420
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

No, but Smokey (as Locke) told Richard to tell that to Locke, so both Richard and Locke were being played by Smokey.

Follow the Leader - Lostpedia - The Lost Encyclopedia

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-10-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #421
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I thought the clue was the backgammon (sp?) being the game of black and white pieces?

On a separate note, does anyone remember the details of when Richard told Locke that he would have to die? I was reading an EW article and they brought that up and I remember the line/delivery well, but I am having trouble remembering the context. It made me wonder if Richard was actually Smokey (at that time) or if something was shady about that exchange.

It supposedly is a clue nobody has called Darlton out about, the backgammon game has been heavily talked about. Someone brought up Sawyer smoking a cigarette = smokie on a lost messageboard I read as a possible candidate.

I don't think Smokie can take the appearance of a living person, I think only Jacob can? Since Jacob has seemingly been one step ahead of MIB (without him knowing about it) it's possible that was Jacob or that Jacob had told him that Locke would have to die and Richard was speaking for Jacob.

Last edited by Chubby : 05-10-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #422
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:

ohhhh - I like this theory a lot!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #423
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Mag
Annetay knows there will be some questions left unanswered. Are there any questions left unanswered that you wish you would have answered?
Lindelof: We answered all the questions that we wanted to answer. And our rule has always been: We answer the questions that were important to answer for the characters on the show. If Jack, Sawyer, Hurley, Locke, and Kate didn't care about it ... It's not that we didn't care about it, or that we don't acknowledge that the fans are curious about it, but we didn't answer it. That being said: There might, possibly, be some questions that we, as storytellers, will answer in the body of the show that might not be appearing in the finale. And that's all we're willing to say ...

Here is a slice of an article about questions being answered. You can see the full article here:

hxxp://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/05/lost_showrunners_damon_lindelo.html
Old 05-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #424
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

For those who don't understand what questions are lingering and why people like me are bitter, here's a sampling of the unanswered questions that I have been unable to articulate:

'Lost' 10s: The 10 mysteries we most want solved | Show Tracker | Los Angeles Times)

Old 05-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #425
cmp
Pro Rookie

I'm just enjoying the ride. If not every single question is answered I will be a bit disappointed but it will not ruin the show for me.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #426
flounder
High School Varsity

I agree with a lot of those questions. If we don't learn about Jacob and MIB, what's the point? But 3, 4, 6, 7 and 10 I don't really care about. If we don't find out about Walt, I won't be too broken up either.

We're always going to be able to find something from the first few seasons that is never resolved or is inconsistent. As long as the big questions are answered, I'm ok with that.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #427
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

tonight's episode is going to be epic!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #428
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
I agree with a lot of those questions. If we don't learn about Jacob and MIB, what's the point? But 3, 4, 6, 7 and 10 I don't really care about. If we don't find out about Walt, I won't be too broken up either.

We're always going to be able to find something from the first few seasons that is never resolved or is inconsistent. As long as the big questions are answered, I'm ok with that.

When they make all these claims that it's been planned since episode 1, there's no reason to have lingering questions.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #429
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
When they make all these claims that it's been planned since episode 1, there's no reason to have lingering questions.

When you don't believe those claims, there's no reason to expect there to be no lingering questions.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #430
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Possibly relevant to the discussion:

Quote:

When were [Jacob and the Man in Black] first conceived?

Lindelof: We had to start talking about the overall mythology of the island in greater detail in the cracks between the first and second seasons, before our characters went down into the hatch. That conversation basically kicked out into the other major arc of the second season. Which was: Who are the Others? Who are these other people on the island, and who was their leader? And who was he receiving his instructions from? By the time the show got into its third season, we started to hear references to this character, Jacob. And I think it's safe to say that those conversations started then.

Do you think some fans get disappointed when they find out that everything wasn't plotted out from the first episode?
Cuse: I think the answer is, once we announced the end date, I think a lot of those concerns went away. I can't imagine that there are many authors that are able to, basically, conceive something entirely beforehand. We feel strongly that the show would be worse if we were just marching forward. The creative process is not like a situation where you get struck by a single lightning bolt. You have ongoing discoveries and there's ongoing creative revelations. Yes, it's really helpful to be marching toward a specific destination, but, along the way, you must allow yourself room for your ideas to blossom, take root, and grow. I think that's how we approached the show: We had a rough idea of certain things, a specific idea about other things. Over six years, everything got a lot richer and fuller because we spent all that time thinking about the show and thinking about how to make the show better.

As opposed to someone like George Lucas who, today, claims he knew the entire arc of Star Wars when he was filming the first movie. Even his old interviews prove that's not true.
Lindelof: Totally. The other thing is, we never had the hubris or the audacity to try and plot out too far in advance, because we didn't even know if the viewers were going to want another season of Lost. Just to say in season three that we'll end the show after season six, then people decide they hated the show in season four, there wouldn't have even have been a season five. You have to focus on what's in front of you. If J.K. Rowling was only thinking about the seventh Harry Potter book when she was writing the third one, she wouldn't have been able to write the third one. You kind of have to say, "Hey, we have a cool idea for this character named Jacob and his nemesis, the Man in Black. But let's not put that idea in front of the audience until we're really ready to start telling that chapter of the story. We'll allude to it, because we have it in mind. In the meantime, this chapter of the story is that the island is moving through time and that's what the characters are dealing with right now. If you throw Jacob and the Man in Black into that story, people's heads are going to explode.

Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse on the End (?) of Lost -- Vulture
Old 05-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #431
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
When you don't believe those claims, there's no reason to expect there to be no lingering questions.

I just want consistency. Don't claim you had it planned out when you didn't. If you did have it planned out, then there shouldn't be ideas you toyed with it threw away from the early seasons. What I think is that they were just playing it from the hip for seasons 1-3 at a minimum. But all I have ever heard is that they knew where they were going all along.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #432
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I think #3 and #1 are pretty well answered
Old 05-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #433
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I was slightly disappointed by this episode to be honest.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #434
Kodos
Resident Alien

My wife is a huge Lost fan, and she fell asleep during the episode. When I told her what happened, she said she knew the show would end badly. (Guess she's still bitter about the ending to Alias.)
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #435
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I was slightly disappointed by this episode to be honest.

Yeah, me too.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #436
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, me too.

thritto
Old 05-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #437
spleen1015
Coordinator

Put me in the same boat.

I'm not down with the whole 'I'm gettin' off this island because mommy lied to me' angle.

I also feel like instead of answering questions, more questions were introduced.

So, there's this 'light' on the island and Jacob throws little bro into it and it goes away and out comes the smoke monster. What is that all about? So, is Smokey really the MiB or is MiB really dead and Smokey was just disguising himself as MiB to fuck with Jacob?

I strongly believed there would be a big pay off in the end and all of it would be pretty awesome. Put me in the low confidence camp now.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 05-12-2010 at 07:13 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #438
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I can't say this was one of the better episodes for me either. But I think part of it is the timing of the episode. If this had been shown in Season 5 or early-mid Season 6, my guess is it would be better received. But with the huge countdown until the end, momentum has been its own worst enemy. Several good episodes in a row were interrupted two weeks ago with a repeat (again... how in the hell did the schedulers let that happen in the last season of a show?). Then a big episode last week with lots of action and emotional deaths. Only to be undermined this week with a "meh" episode that didn't feature a single main character. To be fair, this episode did answer a couple of big questions, but I feel like the timing was off. The build-up to the finale just took a U-Turn.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #439
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

You guys are tough on shows!

I thought the episode was fine myself. I found it interesting to see that the island isn't about good vs evil, found it interesting to see that they were brothers and the MiB actually died, and it has always been the smoke monster pretending to be him.

I also found it really cool to see the tie in to season 1 who the dead people in the cave were and how it tied that up.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #440
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
You guys are tough on shows!

I thought the episode was fine myself. I found it interesting to see that the island isn't about good vs evil, found it interesting to see that they were brothers and the MiB actually died, and it has always been the smoke monster pretending to be him.

I also found it really cool to see the tie in to season 1 who the dead people in the cave were and how it tied that up.

It's not the smoke monster pretending to be him, MIB became the smoke monster when jacob sent him into the light (his mom said to never go down there, he'd become something worse than death). MIB also said Jacob stole his body earlier this season so that fits too.

Last edited by Chubby : 05-12-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #441
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

man, it seems like nobody else paid attention to this episode but me! see my comments to alan...
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #442
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
man, it seems like nobody else paid attention to this episode but me! see my comments to alan...

I think you saw it differently then me then. What i saw was:

-MiB gets pushed down there by Jacob...

-Out comes the smoke monster that flies off

- Jacob seeing MiB's dead body in the water there

- Jacob "burying" his mother and MiB's bodies in the cave where they would be found a long time later by Jack and Kate and them.

So that leaves my assumption since MiB's body was still there all those years later, that he died Maybe his soul or whatever created the smoke monster, but it clearly doesn't seem to be his body as it was buried.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #443
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
I think you saw it differently then me then. What i saw was:

-MiB gets pushed down there by Jacob...

-Out comes the smoke monster that flies off

- Jacob seeing MiB's dead body in the water there

- Jacob "burying" his mother and MiB's bodies in the cave where they would be found a long time later by Jack and Kate and them.

So that leaves my assumption since MiB's body was still there all those years later, that he died Maybe his soul or whatever created the smoke monster, but it clearly doesn't seem to be his body as it was buried.

I think the key is when Jacob asks his mother if he would die if he went into the light and she responds "It would be worse than death." That indicates to me that MiB (or his soul at least) was turned into the smoke monster. That can be consistent with Jacob finding what was left of him: his body.

I can see the idea that the smoke monster is impersonating the dead MiB, but in light of his mother's comment, I think MiB being the smoke monster makes more sense.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #444
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I think since the smoke monster wants to get off the island so badly, we can assume he's actually MiB and not an imposter.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #445
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think #3 and #1 are pretty well answered

#7, too, for the most part. Although how the rules apply to Ben and Widmore need explaining. I think we'll get that. If not, I'll be disappointed.

For me, #4 and #2 are 'must haves'. along with WTF MITB's given name is. I waited for someone to speak it, and never happened.

Possible explanation: Somehow, Widmore is a descendant of the island, either Jacob or MIB. Because this was expanding THE RULES to other off-island people, that is, the twins can't harm each other, The Island decided to prevent any further babies from being born on the island.

So, my guess is Widmore is Jacob's son. We've seen Jacob off Island many times, he could have had fathered a child. Plus, Jacob says another person is coming and that's why he isn't worried. The context is that he was referring to the Candidates, but I think he means Widmore, his son. Which is why Widmore is anti-MIB.

And THE RULES didn't really apply to Alex since she was not Ben's biological daughter.

Jack and Sawyer mirroring MIB and Jacob has been building this season, so that seems as a setup for a final episode twist to me.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #446
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Right it is part of MiB, since the rules about killing Jacob still apply to it, but it isn't him anymore as a human being or "body" since that was buried.

It also now gives more understanding why in a previous episode the MiB asked Jacob if he knew how badly he wanted to kill him. Now we fully understand why.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #447
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I think since the smoke monster wants to get off the island so badly, we can assume he's actually MiB and not an imposter.

Yes, that is what I saw last night. MIB had a body death and changed into Smoky. As Smoky he can assume the form of anyone who is dead, hence the body of MIB. However, THE RULES are that he cannot leave and cannot kill Jacob. Although Jacob can bash the shit out of him, apparently.

And I see the theme as being free will versus destiny as opposed to good vs. evil. I've pretty much always thought this since the Locke vs. Rousseau stuff early on. Also, Jack and real Locke talking about 'destiny', with Jack being free will/science and Locke seeing his destiny on the Island. His fake mom (like Ben and Alex?) told Jacob it is his destiny to defend the Island, while MIB wants the free choice to leave. I did notice the irony of Jack now stating it is his destiny to be on the Island. That change seals the issue for me.

That is also the game they are playing, fate versus destiny. I wonder if that is the name of board game they are playing--at least what Jacob and MIB called it when young.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #448
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Right it is part of MiB, since the rules about killing Jacob still apply to it, but it isn't him anymore as a human being or "body" since that was buried.

It also now gives more understanding why in a previous episode the MiB asked Jacob if he knew how badly he wanted to kill him. Now we fully understand why.

Yes, however, why would he want to kill Jacob instead of flush him into the Hobbit Hole of Happiness?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #449
Swaggs
Coordinator

I agree with the earlier post -- I think it was a good enough episode, but its placement (after a series of dramatic episodes and this close to the end) made it seem worse than it was.

My only other beef was that last week, with all the deaths, seemed to be all about proving how bad or evil Smokey was/is, which I thought was to finally show us that Smokey = Bad, Jacob = Good. Now, after watching that episode, I'm back to not being 100% certain on that.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #450
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, however, why would he want to kill Jacob instead of flush him into the Hobbit Hole of Happiness?

When the smoke monster left the hole, the light disappeared also.. So I assumed the Light joined with MiB's soul (or whatever his consciousness is) to form the smoke monster. I'm assuming going down into that hole doesn't matter any more since the light is now part of the smoke monster. (Also why the Smoke monster can't leave the island or the world will end, because if the light left the island it would be bad)