Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #401
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

And just for good measure...I'll put my Let's Go Flyers signs on my car so that everyone on my way to work can see them. Over/Under on how many times I get flipped off?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #402
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
"When the best player in the world comes up to you and says 'I don't know who you're planning on starting out there tonight, but I want that first shift' it tells you everything you need to know about Claude Giroux." Flyers' head coach Peter Laviolette

What the hell was Crosby doing in the Flyers lockerroom?

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #403
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Helluva game between Kings and the Canucks right now.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #404
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Helluva game between Kings and the Canucks right now.

Dear Panthers: please beat New Jersey one more time so we can send Roberto Luongo a sympathy card.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #405
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Blues vs Kings - should be a fun series!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #406
Danny
Head Coach

Well everyone on here predicting this series would be over in 5 was correct. Way to go kings!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #407
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
What the hell was Datsyuk doing in the Flyers lockerroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #408
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Chris Kreider just scored to give the Rangers a 3-1 lead. I don't have a lot of hockey knowledge and am wondering how common is it for players to go straight from college into the NHL Playoffs without having played in the regular season?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #409
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Chris Kreider just scored to give the Rangers a 3-1 lead. I don't have a lot of hockey knowledge and am wondering how common is it for players to go straight from college into the NHL Playoffs without having played in the regular season?

I posted something on this earlier - there have only been 3 players in the past 25 or so years who have gone from playing in the NCAA Championship game to playing in the Stanley Cup Playoffs in the same year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by articles
Indeed, in the past quarter-century, only one NHL player has won the NCAA championship and debuted in the same season: Tony Hrkac, with the St. Louis Blues in 1987.

So this makes 2 who have WON the NCAA Championship and then debuted. Another former BC player, Jeff Farkas played in the NCAA Championship game (which BC lost that year) and debuted in the same season (before his career was cut short by tragic injury).
Quote:
Jeff Farkas, who lost the NCAA title game with Boston College in 2000 and then joined the Toronto Maple Leafs, is the only other player to participate in college hockey’s final game and the NHL playoffs in the same year, according to the league. Matt Carle of the Philadelphia Flyers is among those who have played in the NCAA and the NHL in the same season.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-23-2012 at 08:00 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #410
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

So when you count guys who didn't make the NCAA Championship game or get far in those playoffs, it is somewhat common for players who recently left/graduated from college hockey to join NHL teams with just several weeks or a month left in the regular season?

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-23-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #411
Grover
Pro Starter

I hate that the momentum in OTT/NYR changed on that horrible interference call against Foligno.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #412
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
So when you count guys who didn't make the NCAA Championship game or get far in those playoffs, it is somewhat common for players who recently left/graduated from college hockey to join NHL teams with just several weeks or a month left in the regular season?

I'm not sure what that number is...it's MORE...but I don't think it's a total of more than say...a dozen tops? You could probably google and find out.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #413
bbor
Pro Starter

Jeff Farkus...LOL....whatever happened to that kid?That might have been his last game in the NHL too.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #414
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Wow Hank...overreacting much??
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #415
bbor
Pro Starter

Jeffrey Thomas Farkas (born January 24, 1978 in Williamsville, New York) is a retired American professional ice hockey center. He was drafted in the third round, 57th overall, by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft.

After playing four seasons of college hockey for Boston College, Farkas joined the Maple Leafs' roster for the 2000 Stanley Cup Playoffs. He appeared in three games during that postseason, recording one goal. Despite his playoff success, Farkas appeared in only eight games for the Maple Leafs over the next two seasons, and three more for the Atlanta Thrashers during the 2002–03 season.

While playing for the American Hockey League's Chicago Wolves in 2003, Farkas fell headfirst into the boards during a game against the Rochester Americans. He suffered a fractured fifth cervical vertebra and, according to medical reports, came within millimeters of being rendered quadriplegic. The injury forced Farkas' early retirement from the sport.

From Wiki....

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

Last edited by bbor : 04-23-2012 at 08:57 PM.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #416
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Jeff Farkus...LOL....whatever happened to that kid?That might have been his last game in the NHL too.

Not funny. He suffered a nasty on-ice injury from a hit and was almost paralyzed and had to retire as a result. 2003 he was only like...24, and was presumably just about to make the leap to the NHL (they were projecting a split-season between AHL/NHL for him that year).

While playing for the American Hockey League's Chicago Wolves in 2003, Farkas fell headfirst into the boards during a game against the Rochester Americans. He suffered a fractured fifth cervical vertebra and, according to medical reports, came within millimeters of being rendered quadriplegic. The injury forced Farkas' early retirement from the sport.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-23-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #417
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hah - same time.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #418
Logan
Head Coach

After getting absolutely destroyed by Del Zotto (and whining that it was a dirty hit - Alanis Morrisette would get a kick out of that, Chris Neil says ""I'm sure I'll catch him with his head down one of these times."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #419
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

Was this in relation to Neil kicking it in, or Neil jackknifing him out of the crease?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #420
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Coyotes finally exercised their demons and won a series. Ironic that the team's first division win and series win came in the year where Winnipeg got a team back. I think that satisfied the hockey gods
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #421
Grover
Pro Starter

Yeah, Hank wasn't overreacting. I mean, insinuating that someone wanting Ottawa was a bit much, but everything else was spot on.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #422
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Coyotes finally exercised their demons and won a series. Ironic that the team's first division win and series win came in the year where Winnipeg got a team back. I think that satisfied the hockey gods

The question is, how much will Seattle trump this up over the offseason?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #423
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

Does this mean Winnipeg cant win until Atlanta gets another team? Considering I still dont understand why the Thrashers moved while the Coyotes got bailed out, plus im a homer, i think id be ok with that.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #424
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Does this mean Winnipeg cant win until Atlanta gets another team? Considering I still dont understand why the Thrashers moved while the Coyotes got bailed out, plus im a homer, i think id be ok with that.

I don't think the hockey gods are terribly concerned with whether or not cities in the Deep South get/have a team. They only seem to let the Panthers have fun about once every twenty years or so.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #425
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I don't think the hockey gods are terribly concerned with whether or not cities in the Deep South get/have a team. They only seem to let the Panthers have fun about once every twenty years or so.

and Carolina, Tampa, Dallas and Anaheim....but you know Im only mentioning "non-traditional" markets that have won a cup more recently than a place like Toronto (dont get me wrong, i like Toronto and the Leafs).
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #426
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, Hank wasn't overreacting. I mean, insinuating that someone wanting Ottawa was a bit much, but everything else was spot on.

Look no further than behind his own bench.

Now, if he's suspended for game 7 because of this, I'll start buying into his conspiracy.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #427
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Was this in relation to Neil kicking it in, or Neil jackknifing him out of the crease?

Don Lagreca tweeted that the puck was actually knocked in by Hank's glove...and Neil had some help staying in the crease.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #428
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Don Lagreca tweeted that the puck was actually knocked in by Hank's glove...and Neil had some help staying in the crease.

That tweet is wrong and it didn't matter if Neil had "help" staying in the crease, he used his stick to push Lundqvist out of the crease which is how the puck came out of his glove in the first place.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #429
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think it's impossible to tell if the puck was actually kicked in or not, but Neil clearly used his stick to push Lundqvist around in the crease. I don't care if the Rangers defenders were pushing Neil around; Neil purposely jammed his stick in Lundqvist's gut and moved him around.

That said, it's only really clear on the replay; I can see how it would be easy to miss that as a ref, and Neil's actual body isn't interfering with Lundqvist at all, which is probably more what the ref would be focusing on. And since the replay official can't call goalie interference (I don't think), the goal pretty much had to stand (in my eyes).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #430
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

What is missing from the Rangers/Senators series is the "Wade Redden" factor. I heard somewhere that he was a really good defenseman at one point and played hockey for the Senators, after which he went to the Big Apple for tons of money. Whatever happened to that guy....?

Quote:
Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #431
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
What is missing from the Rangers/Senators series is the "Wade Redden" factor. I heard somewhere that he was a really good defenseman at one point and played hockey for the Senators, after which he went to the Big Apple for tons of money. Whatever happened to that guy....?

Rotting away in Connecticut at 6m/year

Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #432
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That tweet is wrong and it didn't matter if Neil had "help" staying in the crease, he used his stick to push Lundqvist out of the crease which is how the puck came out of his glove in the first place.

I disagree Logan...the view from behind is the best view and in my opinion his skate never came in contact with the puck. But for Hank to say the NHL wants Ottawa to win is a bit crazy...if he said Pittsburgh, I would have to side with him.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-24-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #433
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Caps-Bruins Game 7 goes to Overtime.

I feel like Game sevens should be like the final game from Rollerball (the original, not the remake).. just let the players on the ice decide it.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #434
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ugh.

Bruins have no one to blame but themselves for not putting the series away earlier.

Wasn't ready for hockey to be over. No other realistic chances for a championship sports team until the Pats resume play.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #435
CraigSca
Pro Starter

WOW!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #436
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Fuck. Oh well, congrats to the Caps
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #437
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Exciting series, tho. Every game was 1 goal and 4 were OT

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #438
Mota
College Benchwarmer

What an insane first round. Really cool to see upsets, but the prospects of a Florida vs. Phoenix final couldn't be less appealing.

Unless St. Louis comes out of the West conference, it's likely to be a really bad final, the other 3 teams are just not going to draw ratings.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #439
bhlloy
Coordinator

Did you already find out the results of the two games tomorrow? Can you give me lottery numbers for Friday night while you are here?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #440
miked
College Starter

Now if we can get an Ottowa win, it may ease the sadness if the Devils blow it.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #441
Grover
Pro Starter

Chirpstory - Bruins Fans Calling Joel Ward The N-Word

This is absolutely disgusting.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #442
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Clearly.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #443
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Agreed
Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #444
BlackJack
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Now if we can get a Florida win, it may ease the sadness if the Rangers blow it.

Obviously this is what you meant.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #445
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
What an insane first round. Really cool to see upsets, but the prospects of a Florida vs. Phoenix final couldn't be less appealing.

Unless St. Louis comes out of the West conference, it's likely to be a really bad final, the other 3 teams are just not going to draw ratings.

I can see the Kings drawing some eyes. LA loves a winner, and most other fans I know are pulling for them out of the west as a second team.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #446
Logan
Head Coach

I'm not exactly a Tim Thomas guy ("Waahhhhhh MSG lights!") but this was pretty cool to see:

Tim Thomas tells young fan to smile in the most touching moment of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs (VIDEO) | Puck Daddy - Yahoo! Sports
Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #447
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'm not exactly a Tim Thomas guy ("Waahhhhhh MSG lights!") but this was pretty cool to see:

Tim Thomas tells young fan to smile in the most touching moment of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs (VIDEO) | Puck Daddy - Yahoo! Sports

That was pretty cool. I guess that was his own kids/family, but still great for him to think of them at a time like that and keep things in perspective.

While he may have some crack pot political ideas and leanings, he's still a good father. (Pretty much like my dad, actually. )
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #448
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
That was pretty cool. I guess that was his own kids/family, but still great for him to think of them at a time like that and keep things in perspective.

While he may have some crack pot political ideas and leanings, he's still a good father. (Pretty much like my dad, actually. )

HB's father - weirdo political ideas/good father = Tim Thomas - weirdo political ideas/good father = Tim Thomas - HB's father?

Quote:
Old 04-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #449
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
You must be new to the internet. Wait until you discover the web sites with disgusting moving pictures on them!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #450
Logan
Head Coach

Last edited by Logan : 04-26-2012 at 01:58 PM.