kingfc22
Head Coach

Good night UCLA.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #403
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
What the hell is going on with Rutgers? Their offense is about as complex as a junior high school's today.

It was Karma for me making fun of Minnesota before.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #404
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

NC State somehow eeked out a 28-21 win over Central Florida. The offense absolutely disappeared in the second half and UCF exposed the defense by switching to a mobile quarterback that gave the defense fits after they had pretty much buried UCF's starting QB (who's more of a pocket passer) for three quarters.

I'm trying to decide how dimly I should view things given the fact that while we played poorly, we won, which is no small feat considering how the rest of the conference immolated itself on national television today. Can the rest of the league be so gawdawful as to give State a chance?

Also, Mike Leach: heckuva coach, eardrum-bleeding awful as a color analyst. Good training for dealing with poetry written by Vogons.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #405
bhlloy
Coordinator

Both LA teams are going to be in the bottom half of the PAC-10 this year. Other than WSU I'm struggling to see a team in the whole conference that is worse than either. ASU is pretty good and Arizona are probably more disciplined and balanced than the Trojans right now.

Pathetic effort from USC again tonight. Didn't deserve to win at all. If it wasn't for a blocked gimme field goal, would be in overtime right now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 AM   #406
MrBug708
Head Coach

*sigh* Props to the OL and the secondary. I give Norm Chow and Jeff Locke a pass.

Ayers and Moore will be graduating from UCLA with their degrees! No leaving early for them!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:24 AM   #407
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Norm Chow

That's why I like you, RFUS. You are and have always been a class guy.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #408
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That's why I like you, RFUS. You are and have always been a class guy.

You should hope and pray that sarcasm can be heard upward, because that's only way that you're going to be able to talk to non WSU fans for at least 2-3 years.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #409
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

So Clemson rolled an FCS team, no big praise deserved there. However late in the 3rd quarter RS Freshman QB Tajh Boyd threw an interception to the middle LB when the D dropped into a Zone Blitz play....ok the freshman will learn and at least he is 2nd string.

The cool thing however, the QB blows up the 260lb middle backer...and explodes his helmet in the process...

Enjoy.

PS: Ignore the abomination that is those uni's...I don't know why we insist on incorporating purple into our garb in ugly places.

CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #410
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Denard Robinson won the Walter Camp Player of the Week award for the second consecutive week. He is the first player ever to accomplish that.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #411
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You should hope and pray that sarcasm can be heard upward, because that's only way that you're going to be able to talk to non WSU fans for at least 2-3 years.

What sarcasm, RFUS? I'm serious. You're a great guy. I aspire to one day be just like you.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #412
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What sarcasm, RFUS? I'm serious. You're a great guy. I aspire to one day be just like you.

Oh thank god! I hadn't slept last night. I need approval!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #413
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh thank god! I hadn't slept last night. I need approval!

So sorry to have inconvenienced you. I was honestly giving a complement. I think tone is hard to read on the Internet. You stay special, RFUS.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #414
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So sorry to have inconvenienced you. I was honestly giving a complement. I think tone is hard to read on the Internet. You stay special, RFUS.

Oh..ok..my bad. Thank you. I'm just too jaded.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #415
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nice to see the Tigers back in the Top 25. I guess manhandling a FCS team earns you a ranking this year given what other teams have done against those teams.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #416
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh..ok..my bad. Thank you. I'm just too jaded.

That's okay. It's understandable. So few people actually make complements these days, few know how to accept one when they receive it.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #417
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
That was the frustrating part as an Irish fan, outside of Robinson we did great on defense.

Coordinators are going to have to seriously alter their planning for Robinson. Possibly going to a 2-man line with an extra linebacker or two spying on him & blitzing/reacting. Nobody else on Michigan's offense has shown that they need to be doubled-up. If you make the genius keep extra guys in to protect Robinson it will tighten up the field a bit.

My hope is the next coach figures out a way to have both Gardner & Robinson on the field at the same time (maybe move Robinson to RB & have him still throw a good deal.)
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #418
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I hate Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Ditto.

Ha! Suck it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Ditto.. but Notre Dame more

You, too, suck it! But just a little less.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #419
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Coordinators are going to have to seriously alter their planning for Robinson. Possibly going to a 2-man line with an extra linebacker or two spying on him & blitzing/reacting. Nobody else on Michigan's offense has shown that they need to be doubled-up. If you make the genius keep extra guys in to protect Robinson it will tighten up the field a bit.

My hope is the next coach figures out a way to have both Gardner & Robinson on the field at the same time (maybe move Robinson to RB & have him still throw a good deal.)

I know you hate Rodriguez, and with good reason. I have a very real personal issue with him based on his time in SC and a business deal where I among many others were screwed by him...that said this is the first time he has had his prototype QB since Woody Dantzler at Clemson...sit back and enjoy the show it will be fun to watch
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #420
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
So Clemson rolled an FCS team, no big praise deserved there. However late in the 3rd quarter RS Freshman QB Tajh Boyd threw an interception to the middle LB when the D dropped into a Zone Blitz play....ok the freshman will learn and at least he is 2nd string.

The cool thing however, the QB blows up the 260lb middle backer...and explodes his helmet in the process...

Enjoy.

PS: Ignore the abomination that is those uni's...I don't know why we insist on incorporating purple into our garb in ugly places.

Nice hit!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #421
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
I know you hate Rodriguez, and with good reason. I have a very real personal issue with him based on his time in SC and a business deal where I among many others were screwed by him...that said this is the first time he has had his prototype QB since Woody Dantzler at Clemson...sit back and enjoy the show it will be fun to watch

I wish I could sit back and enjoy the show. I truly do.

It's almost like if your sister just got married to Roethlesberger, who was late even though a buddy of his was guarding the door to the bathroom. Sure, the reception might be great, but do you want the marriage to continue?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #422
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
- The Pac-10 still cares about academics; even though they invited Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, at least they're all research institutions;

- Boise State probably doesn't pull any more TV eyeballs than Colorado, and the Denver market has a lot more potential than does Boise;

- Boise State's other sports are quite a bit worse than their football program and there aren't nearly as many of them;

- Colorado offers a more natural rivalry potential with Utah given past playing history between the two schools;

I really think its 100% the academic issue - Boise St. just isn't close to the level academically as the PAC-10 schools. It's a glorified commuter school propped up by the football program.

Otherwise, I think they're there. They have the following, and the eyeballs, and I think the market size thing continues to be incredibly overrated in the all the conference alignment discussion. It's different than the pros, no school's base is confined to its city, and no school owns a big city the way a pro team can.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #423
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Nice bounce back for the Huskies in this game. After some really bad special teams plays to start the game that let the Orange get out to a 10-0 start, the superior skill talent of the Huskies became clear and Washington ended up with an 41-20 win that wasn't as close as it sounds. Locker played better, and Syracuse had no answer for WR Jermaine Kearse.

Huskies get some confidence back and can concentrate on trying to pull off the major upset next week vs. Nebraska.

I had a good time at the game. My expectations for Syracuse must be incredibly low as I actually thought they played OK. I expected worse. The first half was competitive, and there were a few quick strikes in the 2nd half that put it out of reach. Certainly I, and the Husky fans in my section, weren't very impressed by Locker.

I can't imagine a more beautiful backdrop in college sports, it was a perfect Seattle day and the views were spectacular. The atmosphere was great too, though the facility was definitely lacking in most other ways. I wish they could tear it down and put a new one across the street somewhere. Easier said than done, I'm sure.

Last edited by molson : 09-12-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #424
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I can't imagine a more beautiful backdrop in college sports, it was a perfect Seattle day and the views were spectacular. The atmosphere was great too, though the facility was definitely lacking in most other ways. I wish they could tear it down and put a new one across the street somewhere. Easier said than done, I'm sure.

It is in a beautiful location, great view of Lake Washington.

Building a new stadium wont happen for a long time. The University is facing major budget cuts as it is and the hippie sports hating granola eaters here would never tolerate building a new facility. They complain about the football program money as it is and are to stupid to realize it makes the state money.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #425
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Certainly I, and the Husky fans in my section, weren't very impressed by Locker.
Aside from that one ill-advised pass that should have been easily intercepted, I think he had a pretty good game. Hard to complain too much about 22-33 passing, especially considering there weren't that many dinks and dunks.

Quote:
There probably aren't too many other stadiums that can match the kind of scenery you get at Husky Stadium - it really is in a fantastic setting.

And they pretty much are going to tear it down. The only thing that's not getting removed and rebuilt is the north upper deck - everything else is getting replaced at the end of the 2011 season, with the 2012 season being played in Qwest Field, and Husky Stadium re-opening in time for the 2013 season. Then we'll have a modern facility to match the stunning views.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #426
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Building a new stadium wont happen for a long time. The University is facing major budget cuts as it is and the hippie sports hating granola eaters here would never tolerate building a new facility. They complain about the football program money as it is and are to stupid to realize it makes the state money.
It's happening:

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-fo...090210aae.html

They're going to try again to get some public money, but regardless, the renovation is starting at the end of the 2011 season.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #427
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I really think its 100% the academic issue - Boise St. just isn't close to the level academically as the PAC-10 schools. It's a glorified commuter school propped up by the football program.

Otherwise, I think they're there. They have the following, and the eyeballs, and I think the market size thing continues to be incredibly overrated in the all the conference alignment discussion. It's different than the pros, no school's base is confined to its city, and no school owns a big city the way a pro team can.
It's not just the academics. The money is a big part of it. Boise State might pull as many eyeballs right now as Colorado, but Colorado is waaaaay down. There's a lot more potential in adding the Colorado region than adding Idaho.

And don't discount the other sports - adding Boise State would hurt the basketball side of things, and they offer fewer additional sports compared to Colorado.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #428
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:

I hate it when players don't wrap up and just try to get that "blow up" hit.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #429
MacroGuru
Coordinator

BYU stunk it up this weekend.

I knew this was coming and penned it as a loss...When the AFA head coach told the press they have been game planning for BYU since the schedule was created by the conference, it did not leave a good feeling with me. TCU last year was a prime example of that.

We play FSU next week and it's another loss I have penned for us.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #430
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
It's not just the academics. The money is a big part of it. Boise State might pull as many eyeballs right now as Colorado, but Colorado is waaaaay down. There's a lot more potential in adding the Colorado region than adding Idaho.

And don't discount the other sports - adding Boise State would hurt the basketball side of things, and they offer fewer additional sports compared to Colorado.

It's all about TV money and CU gives you the Denver market and Boise -- even with a national title -- will never give you access to a large TV market because of where they're located.

As you all have been saying, competitiveness really has nothing to do with it. It's packaging it up in a way that's attractive to a larger audience that really makes the difference in all of these moves.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #431
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Derrick Washington taking Masoli route, gets arrested again
Posted by Ben Kercheval on September 12, 2010 8:30 PM ET
Suspended Missouri running back Derrick Washington has found his way on the wrong side of the law again.

Washington, who has already been suspended permanently from the team for allegedly sexually assaulting a former tutor, was arrested on Sunday for suspicion of third-degree domestic assault.

He posted $1,000 bond and was released Sunday morning.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #432
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
It's all about TV money and CU gives you the Denver market and Boise -- even with a national title -- will never give you access to a large TV market because of where they're located.

As you all have been saying, competitiveness really has nothing to do with it. It's packaging it up in a way that's attractive to a larger audience that really makes the difference in all of these moves.

USC briefly tapped into the casual mainstream L.A. market, but other than that, I don't think it happens in college sports to the degree people claim. Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio St, Arizona, Florida, Penn St, - that's the big time in college football it has nothing to do with market size. It's creating a national brand in one market, the U.S.

Rutgers, Northwestern, Boston College, Houston and Temple should be the biggest deals in college football if market size was the be all and end all. We've fallen in love with the "market size" terminology because of how much it matters in MLB, but I don't see the same relevance in college sports. A pro team in a major city MATTERS, no matter what. But there's dozens of athletic programs across NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, L.A., that don't matter at all. There's not a lot of big-time college football being played in the top 10-20 markets.

Is there any numbers that show that teams in the rough area of a big market actually "deliver" that market to any degree that makes any difference v. the national schools like Notre Dame? NYC might get excited about Rutgers if they go undefeated and win a national championship, but if they could pull that off, they'd have eyeballs across the country anyway (though probably still not as many eyeballs as an undefeated Notre Dame team). And NYC has proven it doesn't care about a mediocre Rutgers team.

Last edited by molson : 09-12-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #433
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio St, Arizona, Florida, Penn St, - that's the big time in college football it has nothing to do with market size. It's creating a national brand in one market, the U.S.

Umm.... What???
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #434
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Umm.... What???

I'm a little boozed up, sorry.

Last edited by molson : 09-12-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #435
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A pro team in a major city MATTERS, no matter what.

The Atlanta Hawks and Atlanta Thrashers would beg to differ, but appreciate your support

(FTR, I agree with your basic premise wholeheartedly, just couldn't resist pointing out some exceptions do exist, at the expense of some of the least loved franchises in America)
Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #436
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
We've fallen in love with the "market size" terminology because of how much it matters in MLB, but I don't see the same relevance in college sports. A pro team in a major city MATTERS, no matter what. But there's dozens of athletic programs across NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, L.A., that don't matter at all. There's not a lot of big-time college football being played in the top 10-20 markets.
You're right in that you can't simply look at the closest major TV market to a school and simply pencil that in as what kind of ratings that team would draw. But I contend that even with the recent success Boise State has had and the fact that ESPN likes airing some of their games that Colorado likely doesn't draw much worse in terms of TV ratings/ad revenue, and has much higher upside. There are also geographic advantages to the Pac-10 expanding into the Denver market in terms of Pac-12 network subscription possibilities.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #437
Izulde
Head Coach

School enrollment and alumni support are also factors to consider, I think.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #438
BYU 14
Coordinator

After reading Cougarboard and getting boxed for like the 9th time for allowing idiots to piss me off I have just one thing to share.

A full 50% of the BYU fanbase are the most clueless, full of shit, armchair QB not knowing a damn thing about football motherfuckers that I have ever seen in my life. I wish that 50% would take their asses up north and root for the fucking Utes!!

That is all......
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #439
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Derrick Washington taking Masoli route, gets arrested again
Posted by Ben Kercheval on September 12, 2010 8:30 PM ET
Suspended Missouri running back Derrick Washington has found his way on the wrong side of the law again.

Washington, who has already been suspended permanently from the team for allegedly sexually assaulting a former tutor, was arrested on Sunday for suspicion of third-degree domestic assault.

He posted $1,000 bond and was released Sunday morning.

Nothing like a player booted from the program proving that the AD and coach made a sound decision. Avoided any further damage by getting rid of him before this happened.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #440
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Nothing like a player booted from the program proving that the AD and coach made a sound decision. Avoided any further damage by getting rid of him before this happened.

Really? This is the same coaching staff that gave him the captaincy while the case was being reviewed in July. If some other school had done this you would be harping about it non-stop.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #441
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
If some other school had done this you would be harping about it non-stop.

The ironic nature of this post is not lost on me.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #442
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The ironic nature of this post is not lost on me.

No, irony would be you throwing Derrick Washington under the bus when you originally tried to defend the guy. Is this still iffy?

Mizzou B-ball fan said:
I'm not about to try to defend anyone if something criminal did happen, but this is more than a bit iffy given what's come out. No charges after nearly three months and the accuser has missed court dates on more than one occasion. You would think the accuser would be a bit more motivated to make sure things are rectified if something really happened.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #443
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Geez. GT loses to the laughing stock of the Big 12.

Oh, and to give credit where credit is due- we did turn out to be the laughing stock of the Big XII. D'oh

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote