Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #401
AlexB
Pro Starter

I'm going to be in Milan over the weekend, so happy to hear the Serie A strike has been called off.

AC Milan v. Genoa needs to be done: if your watching on TV I'll be the one shouting "Get up, you cheating ...!"
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #402
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I do love games at San Siro!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #403
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
I'm going to be in Milan over the weekend, so happy to hear the Serie A strike has been called off.

AC Milan v. Genoa needs to be done: if your watching on TV I'll be the one shouting "Get up, you cheating ...!"

Really? sweettttt
Old 09-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #404
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Brentford over Everton in the League Cup...
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #405
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Byron Moreno, the infamous referee from the Italy - South Korea and Spain - South Korea games in the 2002 World Cup, was recently arrested when he was found to be carrying over ten pounds of heroin after getting off a plane at Kennedy Airport in New York.

link

I like this quote from Gigi Buffon: "I think Moreno already had the (heroin) in 2002, but not in his underwear, in his body."
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #406
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Probably not too many people who really care, but MLS had a great night in the CONCACAF Champions League. Columbus beat Santos Laguna - a rare win by any MLS team over a Mexican team, to put them first in the group and give them a serious chance of being the first MLS team to win their group since the format change in the competition.

And Toronto somewhat miraculously got a 0-0 draw down at Cruz Azul, despite the altitude and absurd presence of train horns blaring constantly. (And you thought vuvuzelas were bad?). The record of MLS teams down in Mexico is mind-blowing. It's like 1 win 3 draws and a billion losses. So even a super-defensive 0-0 draw is pretty nice. Especially since it keeps Toronto alive when they looked dead in the water a week ago.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 09-22-2010 at 01:39 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #407
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

And possibly the most spectacular own goal ever:

Old 09-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #408
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Probably not too many people who really care, but MLS had a great night in the CONCACAF Champions League. Columbus beat Santos Laguna - a rare win by any MLS team over a Mexican team, to put them first in the group and give them a serious chance of being the first MLS team to win their group since the format change in the competition.

And Toronto somewhat miraculously got a 0-0 draw down at Cruz Azul, despite the altitude and absurd presence of train horns blaring constantly. (And you thought vuvuzelas were bad?). The record of MLS teams down in Mexico is mind-blowing. It's like 1 win 3 draws and a billion losses. So even a super-defensive 0-0 draw is pretty nice. Especially since it keeps Toronto alive when they looked dead in the water a week ago.

i care!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #409
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

RSL managed to win down in Panama last night, but Seattle coughed up in Monterrey in a mildly similar way to RSL losing to Cruz Azul a few weeks back. Seattle had a relatively comfortable 2-0 lead 70' in, but gave up three in the next seven or eight minutes to lose. They're still winless in group play and are pretty much done at this point.

So far, it looks like C-bus and RSL are going to make it to the knockout stage, while Toronto has a chance to get out, but it'll require displacing RSL or Cruz Azul to do so. All four Mexican clubs look to be on track to making it through the group stage, as a measure of comparison.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #410
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Go back to west London, bitches.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #411
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Where is the sign up sheet for the Manuel Almunia fan club?

Last edited by Big Fo : 09-25-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #412
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Where is the sign up sheet for the Manuel Almunia fan club?

It's like Wenger found the EPL too easy so he's playing a "crap goalies only" house rule to make it a challenge.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #413
whomario
Pro Starter

in Germany my team Dortmund wins 3-1 at St.Pauli (where the atmosphere is pretty fierce, very "alternative" crowd), Mainz wins their 6th in a row beating Bayern Munich in Munich 2:1
Both goals world-class, too. First Allagui with the heel from a sharp cross, then Szalai (who played for the 2nd team of Real Madrid for a while) :

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #414
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Watching MOTD now and holy balls was there some terrible decisions in the Liverpool-Sunderland match. That POS Gerrard is throwing elbows again too I see.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #415
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, we're one third of the way through the Group Stages in groups E-H, and honestly, it looks like the groups are already set as to who qualifies for the next round..
Old 09-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #416
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
That POS Gerrard is throwing elbows again too I see.

Since he hit Welbeck, one of our loanees, for once we agree on something
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #417
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
So, we're one third of the way through the Group Stages in groups E-H, and honestly, it looks like the groups are already set as to who qualifies for the next round..
Sadly, but yes, that's how it looks, especially in F, G and H. The only thing that could avoid it is if the 3rd or 4th ranked teams in those groups can manage to sweep the other team, hope for a sweep between the top two and then win the remaining hth clash against the loser of the top2 clashes in the next two rounds. Group D is headed for the same situation. Groups B and E are still somewhat open, but there th current #3 will play at #1 and #4 will play at #2, those groups could be close to done too. Only groups A and C might see some excitement...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #418
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

wild, wild, wild Tottenham game.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #419
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I just saw the CL Highlights show on FSC. That second goal from Bastos was fucking awesome.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #420
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

great article by Grant Wahl detailing the new plan for World Cup qualification in CONCACAF. Say farewell to USA-Mexico games, and hello to qualifying that starts in the fall of 2011.

CONCACAF killing U.S. vs. Mexico soccer rivalry - Grant Wahl - SI.com
Old 09-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #421
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Ah, nuts. Going in, 0-0 looked like a good result vs Liverpool. In retrospect, it was the type of game they should have own. FC Utrecht played better than Liverpool, but was a little but unlucky in finishing. Another 0-0 draw, that's not going to get the team places... :|
Old 09-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #422
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Ah, nuts. Going in, 0-0 looked like a good result vs Liverpool. In retrospect, it was the type of game they should have own. FC Utrecht played better than Liverpool, but was a little but unlucky in finishing. Another 0-0 draw, that's not going to get the team places... :|

Napoli-Steaua draw helps quite a bit. I have complete faith in Utrecht. Two good results so far in my opinon

The next game is a must-win though.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 09-30-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #423
bhlloy
Coordinator

holy crap... I just found my KSK for soccer. This site is absolute genius (might be slightly NSFW but haven't seen anything too bad yet

hxxp://www.the-gaffer.com

a particularly funny bit:

Quote:
Hi there, Gary Mabbutt here, Britain’s foremost diabetic centre-back/sweeper and semi-professional agony uncle. I’ve met some troubled people in my time, but I have always done my best to help them out. For instance, just 17 years ago I received the FA Cup from a regal young blonde lady and her large-eared husband who were going through a tough spell at the time.

After I’d finished celebrating with Pat Van Den Hauwe, she took me aside and said she thought her husband was having an affair with a very ugly woman. I told her to stick with it, and if it didn’t work out to take some time away, perhaps to Paris. After all, what’s the worst that could happen? I don’t know exactly how it turned out, but I can say for certain that those two are no longer trapped in a loveless life.

fricking brilliant. I know what my Friday afternoon is going to consist of now
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #424
AlexB
Pro Starter

So we've sacked our new manager Paolo SoSo after he turned Nigel Pearson's overachieving 2009-10 into bottom of the league fare that have shipped 17 goals in 9 games, including 10 in the last 2.

His successor looks likely to be Sven - yes that Sven. Not sure what to make of this - he has become a mercenary for hire since he left England, and really: will he give a rat's ass about us or is he there for cash?
Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 AM   #425
AlexB
Pro Starter

Dola - San Siro update: Went to the MIlan 1 Genoa 0 match last Saturday... Really poor quality game - lot's of mistakes, but refreshingly very little diving. Beginnning to forumlate a theory that maybe it's more prevalent aginst English teams due to the higher tempo, trying to break the flow of the game?

Milan were awful 1st half - but a Zlatan goal early in the 2nd won the game for them, from which point he, although I think he's heavily overrated, actually played really well as the centre forward/target man.

Ronaldinho was terrible, did nothing right at all, and got subbed. Robinho was largely anonymous save two outlandish pieces of skill towards the end. And Kevin Prince Boateng plays and starts for the Milan - wtf?

Did the San Siro tour - pretty interesting to be fair - the Milan dressing room is like an executive lounge!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #426
miami_fan
Coordinator

What a play by Emile Hesky to set up Aston Villa's first goal!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:28 AM   #427
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oamkX...layer_embedded

This goal by Andrea Pirlo may be the best goal I see in my lifetime
Old 10-03-2010, 04:39 AM   #428
whomario
Pro Starter

Andrea Pirlo is the shit, how a guy with that little atletic ability can be this good is amazing, one of the best deep playmakers ever. Had that guy played in the 70s or 80s (or even the early 90s) he´d be considered one of the best of all time.

in Germany Mainz 05 wins their 7th in a row to start, unbelievable stuff. The atmosphere in that stadium right now is absolutely wonderfull and both Fans and players are on an ridiculous "wave" right now where nothing goes wrong and everything goes right. It´s the type of stuff that makes up every good sports film´s mid-movie Montage
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 10-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #429
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nigel De Jong one ups Karl Henry today. Brutal challenge.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #430
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Adam Johnson 4 prez
Old 10-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #431
Critch
lolzcat

I know it's early in the season and it won't last, but Liverpool in the relegation zone makes me smile.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #432
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Nigel de Jong strikes again. One of the few guys I actually wish injury upon.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #433
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

decent draw by Juve today in the derby d'italia, although they were really close a couple times to sneaking out the win
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:08 AM   #434
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

What a shame, even if I am happy to see anyone other than Bayern leading the Bundesliga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Gaal cancels Oktoberfest visit, makes Bayern train

BERLIN, Oct 4 (Reuters) - Bayern Munich coach Louis van Gaal cancelled his squad's traditional visit to the Oktoberfest beer festival on Monday and organised a training session instead after his side lost 2-0 at Borussia Dortmund on Sunday.

Champions Bayern languish in 12th place after seven games, 13 points behind surprise leaders Mainz. The Bavarians have scored only five goals and have already suffered three defeats.

"The board of Bayern has called off the planned visit of coaches and players to the Oktoberfest this lunchtime," the club said in a brief statement.

"Because of the current sporting situation coach Louis van Gaal has set a training session instead."
Old 10-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #435
whomario
Pro Starter

Van Gaal likely is livid about all those PR dates anyway, the pre-season was one long PR-Campaign it seemed .

Sooooo happy about Dortmund beating Bayern yesterday, the stadium was absolutely rocking again Couldn´t see it live as i was at a first division basketball game but the highlights were impressive

Can go back at least twice this season visiting family when there are home games, looking highly forward to that

one of the best stadiums in the world, the 25K standing room only Südtribüne (South Stand) is just nuts.

Last edited by whomario : 10-04-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #436
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Nigel de Jong strikes again. One of the few guys I actually wish injury upon.
He's been dismissed from Oranje because of that.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic has a little bet less to worry about.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #437
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Dutch coach is a fool. Did he forget how he got to the World Cup Final?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #438
miami_fan
Coordinator

This is the part where someone says "by breaking peoples' legs right? And then someone else calls it is just physical play and it is part of the game.

De Jong is a goon.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #439
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Dutch coach is a fool. Did he forget how he got to the World Cup Final?

Robben & Sneijder scoring a bunch of goals?
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #440
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This is the part where someone says "by breaking peoples' legs right? And then someone else calls it is just physical play and it is part of the game.

De Jong is a goon.

Hey, I agree that he could tone it down at times, but there was no card - heck, there wasn't even a foul called. And plenty of ex-professionals and pundits have said they have no problem with his tackle. Keep on hating though.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #441
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey, I agree that he could tone it down at times, but there was no card - heck, there wasn't even a foul called. And plenty of ex-professionals and pundits have said they have no problem with his tackle. Keep on hating though.

No, hes just a dirty player, keep on denying though
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #442
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

You have no memory of his other zillion tackles though? Shit, i don't even mean the world cup, he broke Stuart Holden's leg in March with a nasty tackle that was totally illegal - yet there was no card there either.

He's a thug. He's YOUR thug, but he's still a thug.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #443
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Nigel de Jong has been prone to making horrible tackles for a couple of years now. The Oranje coach told him he should take care of that temper or risk being pulled from the squad. Clearly Van Marwijk held word and did as such after last weekend's action.

But the soccer world itself is devided over this issue. There's nothing new to his tackling style, this has been part of the game for decades. Hence, there was a referee at the crime scene and decided it wasn't something worth a booking. Opponents hate or fear De Jong, teammates are happy to have this kind of player on their team. Somewhere the "Laws of the Game" writers are sitting in their ivory towers and nod: this is how soccer should be played...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #444
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

US Open Cup final is in a half-hour (on Fox Soccer Channel).

Seattle hosting Columbus. Seattle trying to repeat (and take home silverware in years 1 and 2).

While this tournament is mostly an afterthought... last year's final was highly enjoyable, and i think Seattle is going to break the attendance record tonight. And there is a CONCACAF Champions League spot on the line.

At worst it's competitive soccer on an otherwise dull Tuesday night.

I'm personally rooting for Columbus since it has a greater chance to help my Red Bulls qualify for the Champions League.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 10-05-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #445
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I am anti-Sounders, c'mon Crew.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #446
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Edin Dzeko to Juve!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #447
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal.com

Juventus have signed Edin Dzeko from Wolfsburg and he will join the club in June when the power of €30million ignites the journey to Turin.

Il Corriere dello Sport claims Andrea Agnelli has already made his early transfer hit in what appears like an intriguing deal which stretches all the way back to Diego's move to Germany.

There are three strokes of the brush which paint the picture for Dzeko.

Wolfsburg have only paid Juventus €10 million for Diego of the agreed €20m fee. The Germans will then get Mohammed Sissoko as part of the deal. He is wanted by the German side and is valued at around €10m.

And the Italians will then give Wolfsburg a remaining €10m for Dzeko for an operation worth €30m to close the deal.

WOO!

I only wish it was before the end of the season. But I guess there's a striker-logjam this year...

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-05-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #448
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Nice deal in the end. They get rid of Diego who underperformed and Sissoko can do a job but shouldn't really be a starter for a club that has championship ambitions in one of the top leagues imo. And Dzeko is definitely better than Iaquinta and Amauri.

Seattle winning 2-1 now...

Last edited by Big Fo : 10-05-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #449
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Poor Adebayor wanted to play in front of all the racist fans. That won't be happening now.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #450
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Open Cup final has been a pretty manic... quite entertaining.