Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #401
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

He's made a lot of money and this is a guaranteed championship or two.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #402
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He's made a lot of money and this is a guaranteed championship or two.

I disagree.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #403
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yes, the team that stormed through the playoffs is about to add perhaps the best shooter in the league who will be asked to sit and shoot wide open 3 pointers all day. No one is going to get close barring a major injury to Lebron.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #404
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Money isn't the only thing. And he'd hardly be the first guy to star in an NBA version of The Expendables. Except, everyone hates Miami so it makes it worse.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #405
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, the team that stormed through the playoffs is about to add perhaps the best shooter in the league who will be asked to sit and shoot wide open 3 pointers all day. No one is going to get close barring a major injury to Lebron.

You call what the Heat did "storming through the playoffs"? lol...okay.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #406
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Beating the Thunder in 5 games. Getting through the East without one of their best players. Sorry, but a healthy Bosh and neither series in the East goes to 6 games.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #407
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Dwight Howard wants to be traded to the Nets and apparently last week he told the NBA Players Association that he feels he was blackmailed into signing the opt in clause during the season. He wanted to know if it would be feasible to take legal action against the Magic, hoping that he could become a free agent right now.

espn.com - Sources: Dwight Howard wants trade

I'm so tired of this shit. To put it mildly, I will not be wishing him the best once he joins another team.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #408
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Beating the Thunder in 5 games. Getting through the East without one of their best players. Sorry, but a healthy Bosh and neither series in the East goes to 6 games.

That may be true, but your statement wasn't "the Heat WOULD HAVE stormed", it was that they did. Very much not true.

I guess we'll have to wait and see then. I don't see it as anything near a guarantee. In fact, I am going to guess the Thunder are going to be the ones hoisting the trophy next year.

They were too young and untested to take it this time. They will learn and get better.

The only team which deserved to be called "storming" up to any point in the playoffs this year was the Spurs. Still a bit of a mystery just what the heck happened to them after playing so strong for so long.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #409
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The Thunder are going to be relatively the same team. Miami is adding one of the best shooters in the history of the game. All those wide open 3's taken by Battier and Miller are now going to be taken by Ray Allen. That's scary.

Who comes remotely close to touching them in the East? I'm sure the Thunder can put up a better fight, but they have a rather big gap to close. Barring some big injuries it would be a joke if Miami didn't win the title. Most talented team we've had in the league in a long time.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #410
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Dwight Howard wants to be traded to the Nets and apparently last week he told the NBA Players Association that he feels he was blackmailed into signing the opt in clause during the season. He wanted to know if it would be feasible to take legal action against the Magic, hoping that he could become a free agent right now.

I'm so tired of this shit. To put it mildly, I will not be wishing him the best once he joins another team.

I want him in Brooklyn because it would put the dumbest player with the dumbest team.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #411
Daimyo
College Starter

Apparently the Pacers are going hard after Nash. FAs usually don't come to Indy, but it would be perfect from a basketball sense (and they did get West to come last year).
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #412
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Rockets are going to offer Omer Asik a deal worth roughly $8 million a season.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #413
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nets and Hawks talking about a Joe Johnson trade. I swear, you can't make this shit up.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #414
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Rockets are going to offer Omer Asik a deal worth roughly $8 million a season.

That should keep him in knee pads.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #415
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Nets and Hawks talking about a Joe Johnson trade. I swear, you can't make this shit up.

Is Isiah walking around in a Billy King mask? There hasn't been as bad a GM as that in awhile. My only thought is this is the backup plan if Deron goes to Dallas. Can't open a new arena in Brooklyn with Brooke Lopez and Marshon Brooks.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #416
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's the whole "Tyson Zone" thing I think. Just when you think it can't get any more crazy/dumb, it happens. I suspect that he will pay something like 75M to Brook Lopez, too. Then he will launch into a rant similar to the cunt show runner from the Killing and tell us how we're all wrong.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #417
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Quote:

I'm glad the Rockets weren't able to get him and I wish him nothing but failure wherever he goes. With LeBron silencing his critics for the most part, D12 is making a strong, strong case to be the new "NBA's Most Hated".
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #418
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Asik signs an offer sheet for 32 Million the Bulls are in a hard spot. He'd only count at 5/5.1 the next two years. But years 3/4 would be roughly 10.6/11.1. He might be really hard to trade at that point. Conversely he counts at 8/8/8/8 for the rockets.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #419
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Wonder if the Bulls work out a S&T with the Rockets for Asik.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #420
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think it's impossible to sign and trade Early Bird players
Old 07-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #421
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It can only be done if it's at 4 years, $25 million which is the most the Bulls can offer Asik. If Morey is going to offer more than that, Bulls either have to match or let him go. Seems like a lot of teams are interested in Asik so maybe there is no chance there won't be an offer for more than $25 million.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:49 AM   #422
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Swaggs-
The Cavs offered guaranteed deals to both Harangody and Erden. They now have 12 guaranteed deals. Jones still has a good chance of making the team, but I'm kind of surprised they offered those 2 scrubs guaranteed dollars.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #423
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder what Eric Gordon's move is. I can't see him just signing the QO, but I'm not sure what else he can do if he wants to get out of New Orleans. He has all these free agent visits lined up, but I'd say the Hornets will match any offer given to him. There's no way that you can walk away from 58M and play for that QO when the Hornets refuse to S&T. Houston seems like a logical trading partner due to its assets.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #424
whomario
Pro Starter

Timberwolves aparently will offer Batum sth in the range of 45-50 mio for 4 years. Which is definitely overpaying, but then again does it really matter if you pay a guy 9 per year or 11 ?
Propably the best non-draft player they have a shot at getting for the forseeable future, Batum showed some definite improvements offensively (and looked pretty comfortable with a larger role with the french NT as well ...)
Could end up being a 18 PPG guy shooting 45/40 and also being a good defender.

Of course the Blazers can (and should) match, so i´m not yet getting my hopes up.

Blazers meanwhile are trying whatever they can to sign Roy Hibbert (as do the Rockets, aparently)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #425
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

im so fucking glad the Rockets didnt trade for him
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #426
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was hoping the Cavs would offer Batum 45-50 million. It's either him or assorted garbage clogging up our cap for the near future. And only having to offer 4 years means that it won't be a millstone if he doesnt bloom.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #427
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

25/3 for Asik.

Really liked dude, good luck in Houston.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #428
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I was hoping the Cavs would offer Batum 45-50 million. It's either him or assorted garbage clogging up our cap for the near future. And only having to offer 4 years means that it won't be a millstone if he doesnt bloom.

We've got an interesting group of wings this year, pre-FA. If Azubuike is healthy and can regain his pre-injury form, he could be a nice addition, especially for a salary-shredding throw-in to the Dallas trade, and gives the Cavs a few different things. I like Gee as the first wing off the bench, but not as a starter, and Waiters… well, we’ll see. Certainly appears to be a slasher with shooting as his main weakness. I don’t see us getting consistent scoring out of the SG/SF spot unless Gee improves as much again this year as he did last, or Waiters ends up being vastly better than expected. Not a ton of good choices in FA outside of Batum. Landry Fields and Courtney Lee might be decent cheap options, but not sure either one is a significant improvement over what we have.

My biggest concern is scoring inside, even more so considering we don’t have a clear #2 scorer on the wings. We definitely need to acquire someone who can score from the 4 or 5 spot to team with Varejao. Tristan Thompson, at best, is a few years away from giving us much outside of dunks around the basket. Ryan Anderson is restricted, but I think he would go well next to Varejao as their strengths and weaknesses seem to complement each other. Not a big fan of Speights as he’s very one dimensional. Might be worth rolling the dice on Jason Thompson if he can be had cheaply, although I don’t see him as the scoring threat we need.

Last edited by Groundhog : 07-01-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #429
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
25/3 for Asik.

Really liked dude, good luck in Houston.

Sad to see him go. He's worth that money. One of the best defensive players in the league and will help the Rockets out a lot. Interested to see how he works out as a starter.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #430
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My only thought is this is the backup plan if Deron goes to Dallas.

Actually just the opposite, at least according to ESPN

Quote:
Sources say that the Nets, furthermore, will only go ahead with this trade if they know that it helps convince Deron Williams -- this summer's No. 1 free agent -- to verbally commit to re-signing with Brooklyn when a league moratorium on new contracts is lifted July 11.
Brooklyn Nets, Atlanta Hawks talk Joe Johnson trade, sources say - ESPN New York
Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #431
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Danny Ferry must feel like the happiest man on the planet. That's insane, but the Nets are the dumbest franchise in basketball right now.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #432
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems as if Morey has already destroyed the Gilbert Arenas provision rule in the cap. Kind of funny.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #433
whomario
Pro Starter

I hope Howards lands t some sure fire lottery team for a season now where he can either hurt his image (and help that team get a lotto pick) or suck it up and do his job. I am literally allways on the players side and have some pretty big issues with the whole system of us sports, but in this case my sympathy is very much non-existant.

If you are mad about stories "getting it wrong", how about clearing it up ? Just saying "but that´s not correct" doesn´t do it.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #434
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Danny Ferry must feel like the happiest man on the planet. That's insane, but the Nets are the dumbest franchise in basketball right now.

Anytime you can pay a robot a gajillion dollars to score 18 points a game, you have to do it
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #435
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I hope Howards lands t some sure fire lottery team for a season now where he can either hurt his image (and help that team get a lotto pick) or suck it up and do his job. I am literally allways on the players side and have some pretty big issues with the whole system of us sports, but in this case my sympathy is very much non-existant.

If you are mad about stories "getting it wrong", how about clearing it up ? Just saying "but that´s not correct" doesn´t do it.

Well said. For all of the abuse that Lebron took, Howard has handled his situation so much worse.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #436
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Is Isiah walking around in a Billy King mask? There hasn't been as bad a GM as that in awhile. My only thought is this is the backup plan if Deron goes to Dallas. Can't open a new arena in Brooklyn with Brooke Lopez and Marshon Brooks.

Says someone who wasn't a 76er's fan during the Allen Iverson era.

King was the guy who was content to surround Iverson in his prime with the likes of Eric Snow, Samuel Dalembert, Aaron McKie, Juwon Jones and Tyrone Hill . . .and be satisfied with it.

It's a shame, get Iverson a decent 6'7 forward with Mutumbo and that team may have won a championship.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #437
RedKingGold
College Starter

While we're at it, can someone explain why Danny Ferry was a hot GM candidate? What exactly did he do in Cleveland that warranted him being such a hot property this off-season.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #438
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He sucks. He's responsible for the Cavs spending tons of money not to win with LeBron.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #439
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
While we're at it, can someone explain why Danny Ferry was a hot GM candidate? What exactly did he do in Cleveland that warranted him being such a hot property this off-season.

Likely running off of the good vibes from being with the Spurs.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #440
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So the Celtics have offered Ray 2/$12 mill.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #441
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
So the Celtics have offered Ray 2/$12 mill.

clever offer. Now when he leaves they can tell the fans they offered more money than the Heat.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #442
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Sad to see him go. He's worth that money. One of the best defensive players in the league and will help the Rockets out a lot. Interested to see how he works out as a starter.

Wow, I think you're giving him a bit too much credit there. Quality backup center, good enough defender (though slow and little threat to block shots), with has bricks for hands. Yes, he's valuable in his role as a backup, but certainly not a starter.

I'm really hoping the Bulls aren't crazy enough to match.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #443
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
clever offer. Now when he leaves they can tell the fans they offered more money than the Heat.

Hopefully he won't leave. He likes it here...his kid is close to the best hospital for his diabetes (I think that's what he has, right?), his wife is settled...he seems good and settled...KG is back...not so sure he wants to start uprooting himself repeatedly at this stage of his career.

Take the $12mil and finish up your career (presumably).

Look...I'm not confident or anything, not even "overly optimistic", but that's a strong offer, and I'd hate to see him go elsewhere (especially to frigging Miami).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-02-2012 at 01:24 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #444
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Wow, I think you're giving him a bit too much credit there. Quality backup center, good enough defender (though slow and little threat to block shots), with has bricks for hands. Yes, he's valuable in his role as a backup, but certainly not a starter.

I'm really hoping the Bulls aren't crazy enough to match.

The advanced stats show him being one of the best defensive players in the league. He's a great shot blocker and has one of the highest rebound rates in the league. Not sure he can handle starting but he has some value.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #445
whomario
Pro Starter

as for Asik : No idea if he´ll be worth that, but 6 or 8 a year, what´s the difference as long as he turns out to be a serviceable starter ? And i think he will. Don´t expect much offense, but 10-12 rebounds, 2+ blocks ("little threat to block shots" ? He averaged 2.5 per 36 last season ) and really good defense (individual and team defense) more nights than not is worth something.

For the Bulls the question simply is if he´s worth starter money to be a backup. But maybe they´ll just try to do what the Magic did with Gortat, string him along for another season and then trade him.

Brandon Roy is unretiring allready, thinks the wonder-procedure Kobe did has done the trick with his knee. I´m skeptical but certainly wish him the best. Met with Minny (very active in FA) and Dallas with GS, Indiana and Chicago still to come.

Also, Russian PG/SG Alexey Shved will very likely go to the NBA with Minnesota, Memphis and Cleveland aparently candidates.
Could end up being a great 6th man type of guy, can play both guard positions and slash as well as shoot the ball (really developed that part of his game in the last 2 seasons)

In non FA news, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh won´t play in the olympics and Anthony Davis likely won´t compete for a spot either (severe ankle sprain). If you now leave out Lamar Odom (you can´t possible thinkg about taking him) that leaves only 14 players from the preliminary roster left.

Last edited by whomario : 07-02-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #446
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This might be one of the greatest "first official act as GM" moments in sports history if Ferry can pull it off.

Atlanta Hawks: Hawks agree to terms for Joe Johnson trade to New Jersey | Atlanta Hawks
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #447
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

OMG, Danny Ferry is a fucking genius
Quote:
Ferry pulled off another coup by dealing Marvin Williams to the Utah Jazz for Devin Harris on Monday night, according to sources briefed on the discussions.

If he manages to get rid of both JJ and Marvin in just a few days, he could probably solve the entire nation's health care issues & be back in time for final roster cuts.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #448
Groundhog
Coordinator

If this were a video game, Ferry's Shredding Salary rating would be 10/10. His rating for Building Existing Talent would be 1/10.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #449
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There is no such thing as an immovable contract I guess? We've seen Arenas get traded, and now Johnson.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #450
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Nets may as well trade for Boozer while they are at it.