Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #401
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I'm in row's boat. Everyone is so optimistic, and that just annoys me and I dismiss them as fairweather fans. I know baseball. I know the odds of lighting up Cain 2 starts in a row is very unlikely. We're hitting ok still, but not with RISP. Like 9 LOB after 4 innings? Give me a break. Same shit all season. Squandering our chances.

I'm not ready for baseball to be over tomorrow.

Something just occurred to me is that it is going to now be Krumrie, Palmer, and Cueto.

If they do lose, does Dusty get fired?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #402
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Meh...as I mentioned before, the Reds are cursed.

1990 - Win World Series
1991 - Cincy meekly defends the title with a 74-88 record, good for 5th in the NL West. Eric Davis traded away after the season.
1992 - The Reds bounce back with a 90 win season, but miss the playoffs after finishing second in the division
1994 - The Reds find themselves atop the newly created NL Central with a 66-48 record, only to have the remainder of the season cancelled due to the players' strike.
1995 - Led by Reggie Sanders (who would make the All Star team and finish sixth in the NL MVP voting), the Reds return to the playoffs. They sweep the Dodgers in the first round, only to get swept by the Braves in the NLCS. Sanders strikes out 19 times in 29 post season at bats, and when he does put the ball in play, he finds other way to hurt the team by grounding into two key double plays, as well as getting caught stealing in his only LCS attempt.
1999 - The Reds top 90 wins for the first time since 1990, but can only tie the Mets for the Wild Card spot with a 96-67 record. Cincy wins the coin flip to host the one game tie breaker, but trail 2-0 after the first two New York batters. The Reds promptly respond to the deficit by only managing two hits in an eventual 5-0 shut out by Al Leiter.
2000 - Cincinnati posts a 85-77 record and becomes only the second team in the modern era to not be shut out for an entire season. Jack McKeon is prompty fired as gratitude for leading the Reds to a 291-259 (.529) record in his 3+ years in Cincy.
2001-2009 - The Dead Years - Reds fail to finish with a winning record for nine straight seasons. But at least Jack McKeon landed on his feet...he led Florida to the World Series title in 2003 while the Reds finished with a 69-93 record that season.
2010 - Led by NL MVP Joey Votto, the Reds take the NL Central by posting their first 90+ win season since 1999 (and only their second since 1990). Optimism and enthusiasm abound.
2010 Playoffs - The Reds get ho hit by Roy Halladay in their first official playoff game since 1995. Two games later, they go home after being swept by the Phillies.
2012 - Enthusiasm returns to Cincy as the Reds make their second playoff appearance in three years (the first time they've been to the playoffs twice in three season since the Big Red Machine).
2012 Playoffs - The Reds lose staff ace Johnny Cueto after only six pitches. They still manage to win games one and two and are one swing away from a sweep of the Giants as Game Three goes into extra innings.
They lose game Three.
They lose game Four.

After three decades of being a Reds fan, I know that there is only one possible outcome to Game Five.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #403
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Something just occurred to me is that it is going to now be Krumrie, Palmer, and Cueto.

If they do lose, does Dusty get fired?

Don't forget Kenyon Martin
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #404
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm in row's boat. Everyone is so optimistic, and that just annoys me and I dismiss them as fairweather fans. I know baseball. I know the odds of lighting up Cain 2 starts in a row is very unlikely. We're hitting ok still, but not with RISP. Like 9 LOB after 4 innings? Give me a break. Same shit all season. Squandering our chances.

I'm not ready for baseball to be over tomorrow.

You gotta have faith in your team until they're done. IMO, fans with an attitude like yours are worse than fair weather fans.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #405
korme
Go Reds

That's fair. At the same time, it's disheartening to watch nearly all 162 games and see the same mistakes beit from players or management in the critical playoff games. It's a tough sport to be loyal to, from that aspect.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #406
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Offense is clicking.
Pitching outstanding.

Great win today.

and the Reds lose.. great day all around.. Go Orioles and A's!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #407
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Honestly.. so far, it's been a very enjoyable playoff year. Maybe it's because I've been bed ridden, but I'm watching every game and I never do that.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #408
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, there's a decent side to being sick as I've been the last couple of days. That said, the first game only on MLB Network today

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #409
spleen1015
Coordinator

I like terrible A-Rod.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #410
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's fair. At the same time, it's disheartening to watch nearly all 162 games and see the same mistakes beit from players or management in the critical playoff games. It's a tough sport to be loyal to, from that aspect.

Baseball seems to be the sport that has the most variability game by game. It seems that the Giants can look so completely inept when they lose, yet they turn around today and look like they're unstoppable. I think it's the nature of a sport in which we prize a 30% success rate that it takes a large sample size to illustrate trends. Boiling it down to a handful of games makes it so variable.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #411
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I like terrible A-Rod.

Crap. I hate when they hit Raul Ibanez for him and he ties the game

SI

Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #412
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Crap. I hate when they hit Raul Ibanez for him and he ties the game

SI

Fucking Raul Ibanez.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #413
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Son of a B!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #414
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wow
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #415
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Honestly.. so far, it's been a very enjoyable playoff year. Maybe it's because I've been bed ridden, but I'm watching every game and I never do that.

Really rooting for Reds to lose? If we advance I think I might root for the birds to finish it out... it'd be an epic NLCS
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #416
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'd enjoy Reds-Cards

SI

Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #417
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I love how their little strike zone thing showed Soriano throwing 5 balls but somehow it was a 3-2 count

SI

Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #418
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I love how their little strike zone thing showed Soriano throwing 5 balls but somehow it was a 3-2 count

SI

Replacement ump?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #419
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Standard ump for Yankees games

SI

Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #420
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ibanez again?! Ugh.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #421
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

RAUL!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #422
spleen1015
Coordinator

Why does that shit always happen for the Yankees?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #423
Jas_lov
College Starter

Seriously, how many #3 hitters ever get pinch hit for? That was a great move by Girardi. Never would have thought he'd do that. Now it's important for the Yankees to win Game 4. Because of scheduling quirks, if they go to Game 5 they'll have to play five straight days and would have to use their 5th starter in Game 2 of the ALCS. If Detroit wins tonight they'll be able to set up their rotation and you want CC to match up with Verlander if possible.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #424
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Really rooting for Reds to lose? If we advance I think I might root for the birds to finish it out... it'd be an epic NLCS

I think I'd rather play SF, but with your ace out (although Bailey might be the ace right now) we could match up well against the Reds.

The Reds just have one hell of a lineup that scares the crap out of me.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #425
CraigSca
Pro Starter

It ain't over, 'til it's over.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #426
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Seriously, how many #3 hitters ever get pinch hit for? That was a great move by Girardi. Never would have thought he'd do that. Now it's important for the Yankees to win Game 4. Because of scheduling quirks, if they go to Game 5 they'll have to play five straight days and would have to use their 5th starter in Game 2 of the ALCS. If Detroit wins tonight they'll be able to set up their rotation and you want CC to match up with Verlander if possible.

That's why I really think I like this 2-3 format, makes teams use their full staff. Probably why I'm enjoying the playoffs overall more so this season.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #427
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

And Detroit fans cry out about a game that's already being played at 1 am might go into extra innings. Oh yeah, that whole being up 3-1 with three outs to go and blowing it thing too.

Last edited by Matthean : 10-11-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #428
Jas_lov
College Starter

Well, so much for Detroit lining up Verlander for Game 1 of the ALCS. What a great day of baseball with 4 games and another 4 tomorrow with two game 5s.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #429
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

WOW, A's!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #430
DougW
High School Varsity

I officially hate Coco Crisp. What a stupid name.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #431
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That was incredible.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #432
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Valverde pitched 14 pitches and gave up 3 runs. He was a wee bit off tonight.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #433
stevew
Hall Of Famer

wow, Valverde sucks.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #434
cmp
Pro Rookie

Is Jim Leyland the only person who doesn't realize Valverde sucks? He's terrible and has been for a while now.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #435
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I've been a fan of the A's since these days:

(from a 1983 O-Pee-Chee Baseball Sticker Album)

Over the last few seasons I've grown tired of all the selling off of great young players for some kids who might pan out as well as all the talk about moving the team. I also chose to hang up my cleats (from beer league men's baseball) because of shoulder issues so as a result I haven't watched a single inning of baseball all season. Well, that changed tonight...I met a buddy at a pub and I watched my first game of the season tonight...and DAMN, that was awesome!!!

Can't wait for tomorrow!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #436
RedKingGold
College Starter

I'm happy for Ibanez. I thought he was a great player for the Phillies and a steal at that salary for the Yankees.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #437
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

How dare I fall asleep on the A's!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #438
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Comcast needs to update their DVR Guide more often. Both the Giants game AND the A's game had different start times than the Guide listed. Thus, I missed the beginning of the Giants game, and the end of the A's game.

FML
Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #439
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Is Jim Leyland the only person who doesn't realize Valverde sucks? He's terrible and has been for a while now.

Slightly unfair. Didn't have a great year this season (but not horrid either), but was excellent last season.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #440
korme
Go Reds

Just got tickets face value from a friend... making the drive in about 20 mins. Wish me/us luck Reds fans!!!!!!!! (I'm 3-3 on the year)
Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #441
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Let's try for 4-3 on the season

SI

Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #442
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hate the Yankees. I have always hated the Yankees. Since I was 11 and became a Mets fan i hated the Yankees. During the late 80's early 90's it wasn't so bad because they were terrible. Then they started winning again and a whole new crop of fans came out of the woodwork. Fans who had no idea who Willie Randolph and Greg Nettles were, they were fans because it was hip and they were obnoxious.

They are easy to root against.

My Mom and Dad are not those fans. They have been Yankee fans their whole lives. I remember watching games with them when I was a young boy, asking them about the nuances and basics of the game. They have always stood with them.

My Dad will be 82 this year and I have softened considerably on my stance. I take joy in my Dads ups and downs with the team. When Ibanez hit that homerun the first thing I did was call my Dad. I knew it was late, but knew he would be up. We chatted for 2 minutes then hung up. It was a fun 2 minutes. Sharing the joy with my Dad was a treat, as it was a treat for him watching his team pull one out. He's 82 and in great health, just not sure how many more of those small joys he will have left, and I'm happy for him. Even if it means not hating the Yankees so much.

Last edited by Lathum : 10-11-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #443
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Just got tickets face value from a friend... making the drive in about 20 mins. Wish me/us luck Reds fans!!!!!!!! (I'm 3-3 on the year)

I'm rooting for them!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #444
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Pick me up on your way past Springboro. With an extra ticket.

I'll be waiting outside
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #445
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
wow, Valverde sucks.

I don't watch too much AL baseball, but what I saw from Valverde was not impressive.

Looked like he throws a fairly straight fastball that runs 90-92 and outside of his "Dancing with the Stars" windup I didn't see much else.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #446
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Let's try for 4-3 on the season

SI

Or 3-4
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #447
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I hate the Yankees. I have always hated the Yankees. Since I was 11 and became a Mets fan i hated the Yankees. During the late 80's early 90's it wasn't so bad because they were terrible. Then they started winning again and a whole new crop of fans came out of the woodwork. Fans who had no idea who Willie Randolph and Greg Nettles were, they were fans because it was hip and they were obnoxious.

They are easy to root against.

My Mom and Dad are not those fans. They have been Yankee fans their whole lives. I remember watching games with them when I was a young boy, asking them about the nuances and basics of the game. They have always stood with them.

My Dad will be 82 this year and I have softened considerably on my stance. I take joy in my Dads ups and downs with the team. When Ibanez hit that homerun the first thing I did was call my Dad. I knew it was late, but knew he would be up. We chatted for 2 minutes then hung up. It was a fun 2 minutes. Sharing the joy with my Dad was a treat, as it was a treat for him watching his team pull one out. He's 82 and in great health, just not sure how many more of those small joys he will have left, and I'm happy for him. Even if it means not hating the Yankees so much.

My Dad's 75 and has been an Oriole fan all his life (as have I). I can't begrudge you for sharing the joy last night with your father, but I feel the same way with my Dad. Unfortunately, we haven't felt that joy for 29 years. I can't imagine how Cubs fans feel.

And, no offense, if the O's lose to the Yankees, I can always root for my 2nd favorite team (either the Tigers or the A's - we'll have to see what happens).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #448
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Or 3-4

No offense intended to our Giants fans on the board. I just think Reds-Cards makes for a better series and you guys just won the World Series a couple of years ago

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-11-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #449
Butter
Coordinator

I'll be taking a half day today to attend the game. Got a $5 upper deck ticket off of Stubhub.

GODDAMMIT, YOU BETTER WIN REDS.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #450
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

$5? Seriously?