Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #401
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by condors View Post
I still play with various identies both hero and villains. I usually don't play very long though. I run a few missions usually solo then log

When do you usually play?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #402
condors
College Starter

9 am est is around when i get home from work
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #403
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

if anyone stopped playingi because it took too long to lvl, you need to come back after latest patch. XP smoothing = lvl in an hour
Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #404
cuervo72
Head Coach

An hour? Well I don't know about an *hour*.

(Ok, maybe if you team, but solo it's taking me a little longer to get through the early 40 levels. But most certainly quicker.)
Old 04-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #405
cuervo72
Head Coach

I just won the Blue Steel avatar contest.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #406
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Let's see it your entry!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #407
cuervo72
Head Coach

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showf...=#Post10500964
Old 04-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #408
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Here are the new powersets that will be introduced in issue 12:

List of New Primary and Secondary Powersets added in Issue 12

Blaster
New Primary - Psychic Blast
New Secondary - Mental Manipulation

Corruptor
New Primary - Electrical Blast
New Secondary - Storm Summoning

Controller
New Primary - Plant Control
New Secondary - Thermal Radiation

Dominator
New Primary - Earth Control
New Secondary - Electricity Manipulation

Defender
New Primary - Cold Domination
New Secondary - Ice Blast

Mastermind
New Secondary - Storm Summoning

Brute
New Primary - Battle Axe
New Primary - War Mace
New Secondary - Super Reflexes

Stalker
New Primary - Electric Melee
New Secondary - Electric Armor

Tank
New Primary - Dark Armor
New Secondary - Dark Melee

Scrapper
New Primary - Fiery Melee
New Secondary - Fiery Aura
Old 04-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #409
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:

I hear Magnum's going to blow them away.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #410
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm back on. Re-activated my account and Silverstreak, White Napalm, and Sweet Bubbles are at your service.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #411
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Whoo!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #412
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I'm back on. Re-activated my account and Silverstreak, White Napalm, and Sweet Bubbles are at your service.

what brought you out of retirement?

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #413
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Last weekend I was looking at WoW and was thinking about picking it up. I don't want to do the grinding I did with CoH and was looking for just some "pick-up" missions to play, so I re-activated my account....which was a pain in the ass since I didn't know my login or password and my email address that I used I can't access any more (Roadrunner Hudson Valley account).

As it stands though, my computer is dying on me and I just ordered parts for a kick ass quad core computer that I will assemble tomorrow when they arrive. I also figure this new computer will let me play Age of Conan as well.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #414
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I just quit a few months ago. Back to playing EQ2 and Vanguard.

I enjoyed the game when we had large groups of FOFC'ers playing but it kind of died out. If there were more folks playing on a regular basis I would probably hop back in and play again.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #415
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Is anyone having trouble finding groups to play with? I've never had issues, and 75% of the time, the groups are fun.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #416
cuervo72
Head Coach

No, I usually don't. Though admittedly most of the time I'm not looking, unless if I'm playing my Emp/Psi. My other toons (finishing off a Grav/Storm who's 48 but has run all but Tyrant on Maria's arc, and I'm playing a Fire/Fire Blaster who is up to 29) level fine solo. If I have an extended time to play uninterrupted, I'm more apt to team. When I'm not I've actually been hiding more often than not.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #417
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quite an interesting read on the 4 year anniversery:

Quote:
Four years.

I will say that again in case you misread it.

Four years.

I am pleased beyond all belief that this game continues to prosper four years into its life. Our community is stronger than ever, the game as a whole is stronger than it ever has been, and the future for the game, as well as the franchise is extremely bright.

When I look back upon the game that we shipped in 2004, I can’t help but look at all the things that were missing from it. Things we added immediately, and things we added recently. Badges were not in the initial launch. Heck, level 41 to 50 were not shipped with City of Heroes! As the game has progressed, I think we have added more free features with our updates than any other MMO on the planet. Multiple zones, missions, features and systems have been added to the base game over the past four years, making the game better and better with every update.

Every time I visit the Tailor in the game, I say to myself “Heh, I couldn’t even change my costume when City of Heroes launched.” Every time I Exemplar down to play content with my lower level friends, I note that this too was not a feature in the game four years ago. Now I actively seek out Inventions and Recipes both in missions and on the Black Market. The Invention System worked out very well for both City of Heroes and City of Villains, and was not part of the plan when we were finishing up CoH in the first quarter of 2004. Just over this last six months we’ve also added our Ouroboros Flashback System, Weapon Customization, and more quality of life features than the game had ever seen (until Issue 12).

That’s not to say we haven’t been without our missteps. We’ve implemented a couple things imperfectly (Epic Archetypes and Enhancement Diversification come to mind), which caused a lot of headaches for us down the road. I can’t promise that we will never make mistakes, but I will say we will do our best to ensure that we don’t repeat them.

I can’t tell you how excited I am for our game’s future, and although we have some major announcements yet to be made, one of the things I can talk about is a feature that we are planning. Similar in concept to our character creator, it allows you, the players, to create missions and story arcs for your characters and others to participate in. You’ll be able to pick the map, villain group, and objectives, as well as write the dialog and any clues needed for the missions. When you are satisfied with it, you can upload it and have other players across all servers play it and rate it. Fame will come to the players whose stories rate the best overall. It is features like these that we never dreamed of including when we first shipped, but are excited to be able to offer players very soon.

In the end I just want to send out a thanks to all of the players of City of Heroes and City of Villains. Everyone, from the veterans who have been with this game since it launched (and even earlier for some beta testers!) to the users who just subscribed last week, have made this the most fun game to work on in my seventeen years in the industry. I look forward to reviewing our accomplishments this time next year when we celebrate our 5th anniversary!

- Lead Designer, Matt Miller (Positron)

That will be pretty damn cool if they can pull it off.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #418
cuervo72
Head Coach

That could be interesting, and I bet some good missions could come of that. Not sure if I'd have any good ideas personally though.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #419
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
That could be interesting, and I bet some good missions could come of that. Not sure if I'd have any good ideas personally though.

I think it will really help roleplaying, since at this point, you have to fit your RP around imagined goals, or shoehorn it into the existing story. With this, you could run wild.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #420
cuervo72
Head Coach

yy, get those odd rp types out of the parks.

(I can get playing in character...I can't get basically acting out fanfic with frilly dialogue and cliches - like the chap who wistfully flicked his vanilla-scented cigarette or some such the other day)
Old 04-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #421
Raiders Army
Coordinator

So are you guys playing exclusively on the Virtue server? Most of my guys are on Victory, but I think there's a tool to bring them over to another server.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #422
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

No, my main is on Freedom, but the FOFC SG is on Virtue.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #423
Bonegavel

is it still the same old grind?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #424
Raiders Army
Coordinator

It's somewhat more fun...but that's only after a week of playing it again. *shrug*
Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #425
Bonegavel

well, the grind wasn't so bad when everyone was on and we had a group. For a while there, I was the last (if not very close to the last) of the FOFCers and it was lonely and boring.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #426
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

yes, mission structure hasn't changed. so, the grind is the grind. or what you make of it. i find "the grind" infinitely more enjoyable with a fun group of people, but in the end, you're still just trying to level.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #427
cuervo72
Head Coach

I still find the grind fun enough while solo. And with the xp smoothing, it's even a little faster.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #428
Bonegavel

Quote:
I still find the grind fun enough while solo. And with the xp smoothing, it's even a little faster.

Que? xp smoothing?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #429
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
Que? xp smoothing?

They changed the way XP is awarded, especially at levels were people were usually stuck for a while. The result is that leveling happens a bit faster than before.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #430
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Personally, I sort of like the grind. To be able to log on and mindlessly go out and kill (I mean capture) bad guys for about half an hour is enjoyable to me. Being on a team is, as you say, far more enjoyable, but if there's a single player game out there that you can kill the same stuff over and over again I'd sort of like to do that instead of paying a monthly fee to do the same thing.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #431
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
They changed the way XP is awarded, especially at levels were people were usually stuck for a while. The result is that leveling happens a bit faster than before.

Right, what he said. Also, lieutenants and bosses give more xp than before in relation to minions of the same level.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #432
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Personally, I sort of like the grind. To be able to log on and mindlessly go out and kill (I mean capture) bad guys for about half an hour is enjoyable to me. Being on a team is, as you say, far more enjoyable, but if there's a single player game out there that you can kill the same stuff over and over again I'd sort of like to do that instead of paying a monthly fee to do the same thing.

At least you can go to other zones and fight different enemies. I just wish they would make a bit bigger deal about named supervillians. For example, in recent days I've been on the Indy Port safeguard. Twice, I've seen named villians in the bank, each of whom seemed to have unique powers. They didn't last very log, but it would have been nice to see a bit more fanfare before taking these mugs down.

Still, the game has a ton of potential. I'm excited about Champions, but I won't leap over right away.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #433
Bonegavel

Quote:

Battlefield 2. You can get the whole shebang (expansion packs etc) for like $40 and I play it every chance I get. Best game I've ever played for this sort of thing and yes, you get to kill the same stuff (other people) over and over. It's like a 3D chess game x 5,000,000.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #434
cuervo72
Head Coach

Issue 12 is apparently live.

http://www.cityofheroes.com/game_update12.html

http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/patch_notes.html

Whole mess of tweaks.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #435
Bad-example
College Starter

Lurking.

Might start back up at some point. My plate is currently full and my wallet is empty, but things may be changing soon.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #436
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Playing Age of Conan now. I'm not sure if I'll stick with CoH.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #437
braggtd
n00b

Hey all! I haven't read all of this, but I was wondering who all is currently playing?
braggtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #438
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

i am currently playing
Old 05-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #439
Raiders Army
Coordinator

BTW, yesterday my ice/dev blaster just dinged 50 after over 2 years
Old 05-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #440
Bad-example
College Starter

I took advantage of the free weekend to get in a little ass kicking. Gained about 1/2 level on my Spines/Dark scrapper, Shadow-Toxin. Ended up scratching my head over the invention/salvage stuff. The in game tutorial didn't help a lot. Now I have three inventory lists to keep track of? A step backward, IMO.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #441
cuervo72
Head Coach

Once you get a feel for it, it's not that bad. My general approach: pre-30, sell just about *everything*. It's not worth crafting IOs at that point really, and most sets aren't worth it IMO. But, the salvage can go for quite a bit (higher toons still crafting for badges evidently). Put the common and rare on the market, sell the uncommon to stores (though there are a couple exceptions I guess). Post-30, start thinking about crafting the generic IOs and searching for sets that suit your powers. It's not a necessity - SOs will still work fine - but some of the set bonuses are nice if you can get them. Some are expensive enough that you either luck into pieces of them or put them off until you have the inf.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #442
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Congrats! I have my Grav/Storm parked on 49 while I fool around with other toons. She's already done the Maria arc, so it's really just burning xp at this point, though running Cimerora might be fun.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #443
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

Gratz! ARe you playing on Virtue? No one has logged into the FOFC supergroup in over 140 days.

Other than me.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #444
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Once you get a feel for it, it's not that bad. My general approach: pre-30, sell just about *everything*. It's not worth crafting IOs at that point really, and most sets aren't worth it IMO. But, the salvage can go for quite a bit (higher toons still crafting for badges evidently). Put the common and rare on the market, sell the uncommon to stores (though there are a couple exceptions I guess). Post-30, start thinking about crafting the generic IOs and searching for sets that suit your powers. It's not a necessity - SOs will still work fine - but some of the set bonuses are nice if you can get them. Some are expensive enough that you either luck into pieces of them or put them off until you have the inf.

Yeah, but the simplicity of the game is what I valued most. Now I have to research all that stuff and decide what to sell, what to keep and what I can use. It just detracts from the gameplay. The thing I love most about COH is that I can always log in and bang out 3 or 6 or 12 missions in a row while soloing. Having to stop and sort and sell that crap every time one of the inventory bags is full is a momentum killer. No doubt some people like the added complexity but if/when I reactivate my account I might decide just to completely ignore that aspect of the game.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #445
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, the simplest thing for you to do then is just to go and sell them the same as you would enhancement drops (you don't even have to worry about origin). Or, don't bother to sell, just leave your inventory full. That's what's good about the system - you can basically ignore it if you wish.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #446
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Gratz! ARe you playing on Virtue? No one has logged into the FOFC supergroup in over 140 days.

Other than me.

I'm playing on Victory as that was the server du jour at the time. There's a way to copy your guy over right? Does it cost money?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #447
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
I'm playing on Victory as that was the server du jour at the time. There's a way to copy your guy over right? Does it cost money?

It does cost money. I think i have a guy on victory, tho. What's you global handle?
Old 05-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #448
Raiders Army
Coordinator

My global is Ice Cold Killa (I believe).
Old 07-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #449
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

For anybody still playing, or for anybody who might want to jump back in for a while, July 18-20 is double XP weekend. I think they hand out 14 day free trials whenever you need one over on their website. I play on the Protector server.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #450
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Whoo! And the wife will be out of town! YAY!