Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2006, 12:46 AM   #401
bhlloy
Coordinator

OK so I download the game, start an NHL career and under a month in, I have too many contracted players on my reserve list and can't advance until I release 5 guys. Only problem is, they all have to clear waivers before I can release them. Am I missing something, or is my first go round with this game screwed already? Help would be greatly appreciated... thanks
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:52 AM   #402
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
OK so I download the game, start an NHL career and under a month in, I have too many contracted players on my reserve list and can't advance until I release 5 guys. Only problem is, they all have to clear waivers before I can release them. Am I missing something, or is my first go round with this game screwed already? Help would be greatly appreciated... thanks

Is it a roster limit or a reserve limit? For the roster limit, as soon as you place a player on waivers you can reassign him to your farm club to get him off the roster. A reserve limit, the game shouldn't let you exceed (although I've never tried too)...that's messed up if it did.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #403
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah... I was 5 players over the reserve limit. There didn't seem to be any way around it, so I had to scrap that game and start again. At least I will know to keep an eye on it in the future.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #404
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Yeah... I was 5 players over the reserve limit. There didn't seem to be any way around it, so I had to scrap that game and start again. At least I will know to keep an eye on it in the future.

Before the patch, all you would really have to do is "release the rights" of players not under contract. That would be the easy way to get around this. I have not had to do this with the new patch...
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #405
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea-Arthurs Hip View Post
Before the patch, all you would really have to do is "release the rights" of players not under contract. That would be the easy way to get around this. I have not had to do this with the new patch...
Those last bugs you mentioned - the training camp bug, news bug, and unable to trade for those 36-year-old players bug - were those addressed in the patch?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #406
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Those last bugs you mentioned - the training camp bug, news bug, and unable to trade for those 36-year-old players bug - were those addressed in the patch?

I only played a couple of minutes last night after installing latest patch. I will look into tonight. Unless Marc or Riz want to comment ?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #407
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think there is a problem with the reserve list for some teams. I know the Capitols have too many and the only way to get around it is to release the rights of some unsigned prospects. It isn't possible to fix the problem by dumping minor league crap because of the waiver period.

Not a big problem, but rather annoying to have to start dumping unsigned guys early on.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #408
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, but bhlloy's problem was too many contracted players. You have two limits on the reserve list, those under contract and those you hold rights for (plus rights to contracted players). If you are over on the second maximum, then you can just release unsigned guys to get under. But if you are over on the contracted you have a bigger problem that releasing unsigned players isn't going to solve. Thing is, the game shouldn't let you exceed that contracted number limitation anyway. Once you try to sign the 51st player, it should tell you that you can't. At least I figured that's how it worked. It is possible that I'm completely wrong with how the reserve list works.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #409
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am eagerly awaiting impressions of the patched game from my fellow FOFCers.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #410
King of New York
High School Varsity

These impressions are based on one night's worth of playing (about one month of game time)--as I delve more deeply into the patched game, I might have more to say.

1) Riz has done a very nice job of polishing the 2D game engine. First, the things that were just wrong (no assists credited when they should have been credited) appear to have been fixed completely (though I want to make certain that it's working with slap shots that come off faceoffs.) The highlights are much better chosen: "key" and "extended" highlights no longer show the final two minutes of every period in blow-out games, and you no longer have to watch one of your guys skate to the bench, drink some water, chat with the coach, turn around, and then skate back to join his team mates before every faceoff.

Concerns? Nothing major so far. Scoring levels look pretty good (I'm playing Canadian Major Junior hockey.) None of my players has been in any fights yet, but I think that the "aggressiveness" settings might have been tweaked, and I need to adjust--pre-patch, goons set to aggressive or highly aggressive would pull a Bertuzzi and try to murder opposing players, so you had to dial everyone down to normal. Now, I think the aggression levels are more intuitive, and I need to up mine. I'd like to see a few more plays (crushing hits, great saves, blown chances) included under "Key" highlights--however, extended highlights can show those plays. There's a small lag in the game before faceoffs--maybe that is by design?

I'm going to play some more tonight, but so far, so good.

Last edited by King of New York : 11-10-2006 at 07:44 PM.
King of New York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #411
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post
Yeah, but bhlloy's problem was too many contracted players. You have two limits on the reserve list, those under contract and those you hold rights for (plus rights to contracted players). If you are over on the second maximum, then you can just release unsigned guys to get under. But if you are over on the contracted you have a bigger problem that releasing unsigned players isn't going to solve. Thing is, the game shouldn't let you exceed that contracted number limitation anyway. Once you try to sign the 51st player, it should tell you that you can't. At least I figured that's how it worked. It is possible that I'm completely wrong with how the reserve list works.

Yeah this is correct. I couldn't release a single scrub under contract so I couldn't advance the game at all and releasing unsigned players didn't bring the contracted number down (obviously). I had signed a number of players that day but I don't think enough to put me over the limit - I'm pretty sure the game must have let me advance at least a day while I had an illegal roster. I was also due to begin training camp the next day.

If this is a bug and other people aren't seeing this I still have the save game available.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:23 PM   #412
SackAttack
Head Coach

Patch, eh?

Might be time to take another look.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:01 AM   #413
Galaril
Pro Starter

One question does american NCAA ice hockey games play out or simmed by the ai? Can we accept/take over a head coach job in the NCAA e.g. say Boston College in the college ranks?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #414
bhlloy
Coordinator

OK so this time through I see what is supposed to happen - if I waive somebody they are temporarily taken off the reserve list. I haven't tried to recreate the bug though because I didn't want to lose any more progress.

It is also quite possible that I was just being a retard, although I am 99% sure that I wasn't able to knock anybody off the list by putting them on waivers. If nobody reports it and I can't recreate it, I guess that may well be the case.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:44 AM   #415
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
One question does american NCAA ice hockey games play out or simmed by the ai? Can we accept/take over a head coach job in the NCAA e.g. say Boston College in the college ranks?

Stats are generated in the background but the games are not played out (there is no NCAA championship) nor can you take over a job in the college ranks.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #416
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

F-in patch. First day of training camp and Ovechkin goes down for three months. I guess I need to do some serious scouting on Esposito and Hamill.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #417
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea-Arthurs Hip View Post
Training Camp Bug - Running open camp, all players who arrive for open tryouts have last names that start with "C" or "B". I checked all other teams in league and it appeared to be the same.
Just for the record, this is not fixed. I am playing in the AHL, and every team in the league only has tryout players whose last names start with "A" or "B". I'm not sure yet if this will keep me from trying to play or not, but I do find it disappointing.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:00 PM   #418
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Just for the record, this is not fixed. I am playing in the AHL, and every team in the league only has tryout players whose last names start with "A" or "B". I'm not sure yet if this will keep me from trying to play or not, but I do find it disappointing.

I realize you may have other complaints... but if that's really the reason why you're thinking about not trying to play.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #419
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I realize you may have other complaints... but if that's really the reason why you're thinking about not trying to play.
Yeah I agree. How dare he want to play a game that doesn't work as advertised. The nerve of him.

Last edited by dervack : 11-12-2006 at 08:13 PM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #420
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Well, then, let me be sure to consult with you next time before I decide what bothers me about a computer game and what doesn't.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #421
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
Yeah I agree. How dare he want to play a game that doesn't work as advertised. The nerve of him.

No doubt, that would irk the heck out of me.

Could you imagine a draft in FOF that all players have last names that start with an A or B?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #422
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Just to clarify, since (from the tone of his post) chrisj thinks I'm just being a whiny bitch about something minor, there's a pretty obvious problem with the fact that the training camp is working this way: If only the "A" and "B" players are coming to tryouts, that means that all of the "C" through "Z" players are not. This is not a case of the game only creating players with names that start with particular letters. The players are already in the database, and there are thousands of eligible players who are not attending training camps because of what seems to be a bug.

Apologies if I wasn't clear on that.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #423
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Sorry, I forgot to add:

Old 11-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #424
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

How about adding and . Top it off with and then sprinkle some !
Old 11-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #425
dervack
College Prospect

dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #426
Blade6119
Coordinator

Are you all speaking in code?? I want to play!!!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #427
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Something I've been noticing alot during watching the 2D engine... the players pass the puck to the goalies a lot during the game.

As well while in their defensive zone teams will often leave one man behind the goal line (in the corners or behind the net) and the other four will change lines, leaving that one player with the puck with five opposing players. For some reason those five guys never go after that one player...
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #428
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

oh sorry, I meant to say
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #429
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Just to clarify, since (from the tone of his post) chrisj thinks I'm just being a whiny bitch about something minor, there's a pretty obvious problem with the fact that the training camp is working this way: If only the "A" and "B" players are coming to tryouts, that means that all of the "C" through "Z" players are not. This is not a case of the game only creating players with names that start with particular letters. The players are already in the database, and there are thousands of eligible players who are not attending training camps because of what seems to be a bug.

Apologies if I wasn't clear on that.

While I agree with chrisj it doesn't seem to be a huge deal if you are playing in the NHL, take over a team in the UHL or one of the lesser European leagues (UK mostly), and open tryouts are important because some of the players turning up genuinely have a chance to make your roster.

I had an interesting bug today which I think may have been around since EHM 2005. At the end of the season one of my goalie prospects was released by his OHL team, who didn't make the playoffs. There was then a bidding war for him (he's very well developed for juniors) by the teams who were still in the playoffs. He signed with Halifax, who then released him the very same day. Cue another bidding war, he signs with Rimouski and then gets released again. Not sure if this is an issue with the contract he signs ending on the same day he is signed, or an issue with his junior eligibility being shot when his original team is eliminated from contention.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:47 PM   #430
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian View Post
Something I've been noticing alot during watching the 2D engine... the players pass the puck to the goalies a lot during the game.

As well while in their defensive zone teams will often leave one man behind the goal line (in the corners or behind the net) and the other four will change lines, leaving that one player with the puck with five opposing players. For some reason those five guys never go after that one player...

Too many breakaways where the player just skates round one or more defensemen would be my major gripe with 2D, but it's so hugely improved it almost seems unfair to complain. Like FM, it's going to take at least 3 versions for them to get it just right.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:52 AM   #431
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
While I agree with chrisj it doesn't seem to be a huge deal if you are playing in the NHL, take over a team in the UHL or one of the lesser European leagues (UK mostly), and open tryouts are important because some of the players turning up genuinely have a chance to make your roster.
...or making other team's rosters. As I said, I was playing in the AHL, and while my NHL parent club will send players down to me, I can't completely depend on getting New Jersey's scraps. I'm trying to win a Calder Cup, and if some guy impresses me in a tryout, he deserves to play. If all the "C" through "Z" players are just sitting around at home doing nothing, that really affects the entire game universe, not just my team or league.

I don't know how much player development comes from playing time, but this could have an effect on NHL teams, too. Suppose that a player could develop into a serviceable 3rd- or 4th-line NHL player, but he needs a little development to get there. Imagine that he enters an ECHL open tryout, makes the team, moves up to the AHL the next year, and finds his way to the NHL two years after that. It would be a great story, wouldn't it? Even if it doesn't happen on your own team, right? For a lot of players in the game, this bug won't allow it to happen.

Again, I may just play through and accept the bug for now, but it's still disappointing, and maybe it does bother me more than it bothers other people. I just think that my reasons for being bothered are legitimate.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #432
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
...or making other team's rosters. As I said, I was playing in the AHL, and while my NHL parent club will send players down to me, I can't completely depend on getting New Jersey's scraps. I'm trying to win a Calder Cup, and if some guy impresses me in a tryout, he deserves to play. If all the "C" through "Z" players are just sitting around at home doing nothing, that really affects the entire game universe, not just my team or league.

I don't know how much player development comes from playing time, but this could have an effect on NHL teams, too. Suppose that a player could develop into a serviceable 3rd- or 4th-line NHL player, but he needs a little development to get there. Imagine that he enters an ECHL open tryout, makes the team, moves up to the AHL the next year, and finds his way to the NHL two years after that. It would be a great story, wouldn't it? Even if it doesn't happen on your own team, right? For a lot of players in the game, this bug won't allow it to happen.

Again, I may just play through and accept the bug for now, but it's still disappointing, and maybe it does bother me more than it bothers other people. I just think that my reasons for being bothered are legitimate.

Yes, playing in the Central Hockey League this is a problem for me also. I dont want to call this a show stopper yet for me as the CHL has limited roster space and I dont really see myself signing more then 1 tryout player per year if that. But it certainly takes away from the option of having an open camp.

One thing I dont recall in 2005 that I am seeing now is that players with out a team will approach you requesting an opportunity to play for you. Not sure if you are seeing this in the AHL Pumpy, but I get on average 3-4 players a month approach me. This is pretty cool as I have been playing by some LLM rules of only signing players I have scouted. With this feature it gives me an opportunity to put him immediately on my short list and sign him if desired.

Last edited by Bea-Arthurs Hip : 11-13-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #433
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Anyone seeing extreme rising of Spd, Acc & Str attributes?

Someone posted on this over at the SI boards, so I checked my saved game and noticed that in the NHL players of all kinds are seeing increases in this three attributes. I am only still in my first year and am seeing players 36 years old + etc, have their speed increase to 19-20.

It looks like , according to some of the posts I have read regarding this bug, that this causes an overload of "Stars" by the year 2010 with league scoring rising to a extreme level.

Damn, I really wanted to get a saved game going but this one will really make me hold off.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:34 PM   #434
condors
College Starter

i wish i didn't read that, i am enjoying the game with the new patch, hopefully a fix comes out for it soon and it will work with saved games
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #435
BigDPW
College Prospect

The unfake database v1.0 has been released! Yeah now we can all start our definitive games with EHM 07!

http://www.eastside-uk.co.uk/
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #436
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

whoa...

"Any use, reproduction or anything similar (including hosting) without permission from the author is STRICKLY PROHIBITED."

strickly prohibited. sounds severe.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #437
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Arghh... they got the Fog Devils arena wrong, despite me telling them the right name.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:05 PM   #438
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hmm..I'm on the fence as to whether I want this or not. The last version was outstanding and I love hockey, but I never knew I liked it that much. I can't tell from these posts whether or not I should give it a go.

Hmm...
Old 12-23-2006, 01:13 PM   #439
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Hmm..I'm on the fence as to whether I want this or not. The last version was outstanding and I love hockey, but I never knew I liked it that much. I can't tell from these posts whether or not I should give it a go.

Hmm...
There's a patch in beta right now, and someone at SI (Graeme Kelly, maybe?) says that it will probably be released in early January after the SI guys return from holiday. I still haven't purchased, but I'll probably do so after this patch comes out.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:16 PM   #440
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ok, I'll wait then.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #441
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Talk about weird, I was just going to bump this thread to see what people think about this version after a bit of time with it.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #442
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I just finished a season up, after a disappointing first round sweep in the playoffs (against the Stars, so obviously the game is messed up).

I'm a bit discouraged with the trading - as in, there's WAY too much of it. I thought about starting a new career with the unfaking db, but the trading thing has turned me off for now.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #443
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I spent a few hours merging 2005 pics with the new 2007 pics and updates on the Blueline. What a geek.

If anyone wants a copy of this huge file, ping me.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #444
Karim
College Starter

I finally got into EHM the past few days. I decided to give up on the NHL and start in Juniors, working my way up. A lot of my suggestions for improvement are basically working features in FM2007. I'm actually enjoying the 2D more than I thought and am actually coaching games. But I hate that guys continue to cycle backwards instead of dumping the puck in, even with dump and chase set to high.

Also, will other teams come with job offers after my reputation increases or do I have to manually apply?

Thanks.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #445
MCK
n00b

bump

Any thoughts since the new patch was released 1/30/07. Just curious if this is a must have since it is the last version they will make.
MCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #446
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

If the demo is updated, I'm going to give it another try this weekend. Since it's the last version, I'll probably just go ahead and buy it. I absolutely loved the previous version, so I'm sure that this one will draw me in also.

In addition, I just added 1.5GB of RAM to my system, so things will be a bit faster this time around.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #447
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I haven't downloaded the new patch yet. Between still being in a period of mourning over the end of the series and far, far, far too much work, I've had no time.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #448
twothree
College Prospect

For anyone that still has an interest in the game, another final patch will be out soon.

http://community.sigames.com/eve/for...5/m/2852098403

If anyone has any "...serious gameplay issues that are affecting your enjoyment of the game, other than those listed as fixed...", then they ask that you report them as soon as possible.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #449
scooter
High School Varsity

The 3.0.4 BETA is out for people to download. Note that this is a BETA patch. Graeme is telling people to backup both their saved games and .exe before using it.

http://community.sigames.com/eve/for...5/m/8422001603

For those, like myself, that are not brave enough to be beta testers, they are saying the official patch will probably be out next week.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #450
King of New York
High School Varsity

Hats off to SI for continuing to support a game that has been discontinued. Although I was disappointed with the condition in which EHM 2007 3.0 was released, I thought that 3.02 was a very good game. I never got around to playing 3.03, but I will play 3.04 at some point.