Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #401
PineTar
High School JV

Now on par with the NFL in terms of crap showcase. Shameful really.
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #402
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I get nobody wants to risk injury in an All-Star game but honestly, I don't think you're really risking anything by putting out some low baseline level of effort defensively. You only have to do enough to make an all-star have to do some all-star level things to score. That's not much, and that would be plenty. Standing there and just flailing stupidly at an offensive player as he zooms past you just ruins the game. Jimmer Fredette could score 40 in this game.

The NBA is tremendous right now, this is not really an important issue, but true all the same. Nice to see the home towner Anthony Davis get the MVP, although it was basically prearranged. The level of defense dictates that the offense of the winning team can decide who it wants to get the MVP -- they have complete control.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #403
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

It was awful 10 years ago so I can only imagine by the score it is a complete monstrosity of crap by now.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-19-2017 at 10:38 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #404
Groundhog
Coordinator

We needed the West team to trade Westbrook to the East, then it might have been a little competitive. Maybe.

But yeah, I don't think I've watched an All-Star game in over a decade. It was bad enough walking through the lunchroom at work an hour ago and seeing 10 seconds of it on the TV.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #406
Atocep
Coordinator

Philly is the big winner of this trade.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #407
wustin
College Prospect

How in the world did Ainge and Boston not beat that deal. Pelicans got away with robbery on that.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 PM   #408
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
How in the world did Ainge and Boston not beat that deal. Pelicans got away with robbery on that.

Vlade is the worst executive in the NBA.

EDIT: The Pelicans get a top 15-20 player in exchange for 3 bench players plus a 1st and 2nd round pick. Philly's chance of landing in the top 3 increase slightly and they'll be competing with the Nets for the 1st overall pick next year thanks to the Kings.

Last edited by Atocep : 02-19-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #409
wustin
College Prospect

Kings are also sending Omri Casspri to NO. Also I'm pretty sure that 1st pick is protected.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #410
Groundhog
Coordinator

Apparently the pick has some protection, but it is expected Sacramento will keep the pick... Either way, if this was NBA 2K17 I'd be filling a bug report after that atrocious deal.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:19 PM   #411
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd guess either we're one of the teams who thought Boogie's attitude wasn't worth it at any price, the Kings didn't bother calling every team, or maybe we really did feel DeMarcus was serious about not re-signing with whomever traded for him? Idk, this is a shocker.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #412
wustin
College Prospect

Oh god I just remembered the Sixers have the right to swap picks with the Kings this year if the Kings have a top 10 pick.

Sixers have a legit shot at a top 3 pick now LOL
Old 02-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #413
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh god I just remembered the Sixers have the right to swap picks with the Kings this year if the Kings have a top 10 pick.

They also have the Kings 1st next year.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:46 PM   #414
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

The 76ers get the Kings' first rounder if it's top 10, the Bulls get it if it's not.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:30 AM   #415
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
They also have the Kings 1st next year.

No, it's for 2019. It's unprotected! Tonight's big winner is Philly.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:31 AM   #416
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Basically the Kings could get the first 2 picks in this year's draft and lose them both (swap their own with Philly and the Pels pick is top-3 protected).
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:50 AM   #417
Atocep
Coordinator

Apparently the Lakers wouldn't give up Ingram to get him.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:23 AM   #418
Groundhog
Coordinator

Although I don't think Ingram will ever be as good as Cousins is right now, I don't think it makes sense for the Lakers bringing in Cousins when the rest of their roster is a big WIP.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #419
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
The 76ers get the Kings' first rounder if it's top 10, the Bulls get it if it's not.

The article I read on ESPN disagrees - Kings keep theirs if it's in the top 10, so it's very likely they have two lottery picks this year. I don't think it's nearly as bad a deal for the Kings as everyone is making out if that is true. Were they ever going to win anything with Boogie? At least this way they have a shot at two good young players, with Cousins they were probably locked into the 12-14 range and losing the pick for sure, and rolling out the same roster next year.

As for the Pelicans, I think it's a great move for them too, but this will be one of the more interesting "is there any way in hell that works" I've seen in a long time.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #420
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Seeing ESPN rumor/report that Kings will waive Matt Barnes to clear roster space.

The same article notes that he's in the first year of a 2-year $12.5m contract so that left me wondering ... does waiving him give them a cap hit next year? Or is there some leftover amnesty provision for them to use on that or ???
Old 02-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #421
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The article I read on ESPN disagrees - Kings keep theirs if it's in the top 10, so it's very likely they have two lottery picks this year. I don't think it's nearly as bad a deal for the Kings as everyone is making out if that is true. Were they ever going to win anything with Boogie? At least this way they have a shot at two good young players, with Cousins they were probably locked into the 12-14 range and losing the pick for sure, and rolling out the same roster next year.

As for the Pelicans, I think it's a great move for them too, but this will be one of the more interesting "is there any way in hell that works" I've seen in a long time.

It's a pick swap meaning Sixers get the best of the two picks (meaning if Sac is better it becomes the Sixers and the Sixers pick becomes the Kings).

2019 is unprotected.

Sixers have the Lakers pick (top 3 protected) and if it doesn't transfer this year, it's unprotected next year.

Sixers are in a really good place; shame Hinkie was forced out.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #422
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Seeing ESPN rumor/report that Kings will waive Matt Barnes to clear roster space.

The same article notes that he's in the first year of a 2-year $12.5m contract so that left me wondering ... does waiving him give them a cap hit next year? Or is there some leftover amnesty provision for them to use on that or ???
They could either stretch that money over several years or get Barnes to agree to a discount so he can go to a contender. (Fwiw it's a player option for next year, but that doesn't really matter in this scenario.)
Quote:
76ers have swap rights on that Sacramento pick, so the Kings will get the worse of their pick & Philly's. (Unless Sacramento goes on a run & the Bulls get it outside the top 10.)

This draft is great, but it's still not 14 deep with good players (the consensus is a drop off after 8-9 right now, though still also a deep draft for teams in the 20's/30's), so even assuming the Pelicans miss the playoffs (and I'd say that's about 50/50) calling a pick in the 12-14 range a lottery pick is stretching it - especially because in the remote chance the Pelicans hit a lottery ball the Kings hilariously allowed the Pelicans to top-3 protect it!
Old 02-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #423
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There's a stretch provision now where you can take a future year(s) salary and split it over double the years plus one. In this case they will likely be taking hits of 2M each vs the cap in 17-18, 18-19, 19-20
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #424
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah, should've been clearer with that, but others corrected.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #425
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
There's a stretch provision now where you can take a future year(s) salary and split it over double the years plus one. In this case they will likely be taking hits of 2M each vs the cap in 17-18, 18-19, 19-20

Good Lord, no wonder I didn't know.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #426
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Good Lord, no wonder I didn't know.

Thanks.
Don't worry, Vlade & the Kings management team didn't know either when they made that ill fated deal with Philly to clear cap space!

Kings GM Vlade Divac says he received a better DeMarcus Cousins trade offer 2 days ago

What a mess. It seems obvious the Kings management jumped on the first deal offered once Vivek gave the OK before he changed his mind.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #427
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Don't worry, Vlade & the Kings management team didn't know either when they made that ill fated deal with Philly to clear cap space!

Kings GM Vlade Divac says he received a better DeMarcus Cousins trade offer 2 days ago

What a mess. It seems obvious the Kings management jumped on the first deal offered once Vivek gave the OK before he changed his mind.

Vivek also believes Buddy is the next Steph apparently.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #428
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
He said that last spring, who knows what he believes now!

I also believe it was a year before that he said Nic Stauskas shot like Steph & had size like Klay.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #429
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Los Angeles Lakers put Magic Johnson in charge, fire Mitch Kupchak, Jim Buss

I'm NOT wishing ill health on anybody or anything of the sort but ... who gets sister Buss' shares in the event of her death? Has she got any kids or anything? Or would her shares revert to the brother she just deposed?

Talk about things REALLY getting interesting then, oy.

edit: I ask about this here 'cause I wondered if someone might recall how the ownership split went when their father died.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-21-2017 at 02:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #430
Atocep
Coordinator

I can't see Magic doing well when it comes to personnel decisions. Buss and Kupchak needed to go, but this doesn't really improve things IMO. The Lakers are miles behind every other organization's analytics department and this doesn't change that.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #431
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As for my question, this article from last year mostly seems to cover what I wondered about. The six siblings each have 11%, a total of 66% in a trust that prohibits them from selling shares individually. That likely means that the shares would stay in the trust upon any death & each siblings share of control would simply increase. What I'd forgotten was the role of the other four siblings in the ownership.

A Family Divided: Unrest Growing in Buss Family as Lakers Struggle to Rebuild | Bleacher Report
Old 02-21-2017, 05:38 PM   #432
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Magic will do a good job either. Hopefully he delegates to someone else far more versed on player evaluation and analytics.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #433
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Favorite stat that I saw was the Boogie has hit 6 more 3 point shots than Hield this season.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #434
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don't think Magic will do a good job either. Hopefully he delegates to someone else far more versed on player evaluation and analytics.

I think, as far as businesses go, Magic has usually hired guys who can cover his weak spots
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #435
wustin
College Prospect

They're hiring a prominent agent to be the next GM. Magic is just going to be the media guy
Old 02-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #436
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think, as far as businesses go, Magic has usually hired guys who can cover his weak spots

Serious question. Does he get credit for hiring Andrew Friedman?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #437
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Serious question. Does he get credit for hiring Andrew Friedman?

Nope. He's there to kiss babies
Old 02-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #438
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lakers managed to get a 1st round pick for Lou Williams. Had to take on Corey Brewer, but need as many losses as possible!
Old 02-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #439
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Nerlens to the Mavs for Justin Anderson, Andrew Bogut (buyout?), and a 1st round pick. Not sure if it's this year's Mavs or if there's any protection on it. (Top 3 protection on this year's would make sense.)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #440
djsatu
High School Varsity

Derrick Rose for Rubio + ?
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #441
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Nerlens to the Mavs for Justin Anderson, Andrew Bogut (buyout?), and a 1st round pick. Not sure if it's this year's Mavs or if there's any protection on it. (Top 3 protection on this year's would make sense.)

With Embiid still being an injury risk, I don't understand trading Noel. I would think they would rather move Okafor given that he's the odd man out.

Not sure what Chicago will do, if anything. Unless they bring in picks, they might do best by standing pat and asking Butler and Wade to coast in so they can drop into the lottery.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #442
wustin
College Prospect

That draft pick is top 18 protected lol

Sixers probably didn't to commit a max to Noel and just wanted to get rid of him.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #443
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Would assume Bogut is a buyout with the 76ers short of the BRI floor of 84.73 million.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #444
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
That draft pick is top 18 protected lol

Sixers probably didn't to commit a max to Noel and just wanted to get rid of him.
But does it roll over to 2018 or turn into a 2nd? If it turns into a 2nd then LOL indeed at the Sixers "getting a 1st round pick".

Celtics should trade both Nets picks for Butler but protect this year's 1-4 & next year lottery. That way GarPax can say they got both Nets picks for Butler under this mechanism!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
With Embiid still being an injury risk, I don't understand trading Noel. I would think they would rather move Okafor given that he's the odd man out.

Not sure what Chicago will do, if anything. Unless they bring in picks, they might do best by standing pat and asking Butler and Wade to coast in so they can drop into the lottery.
Unfortunately I think 29 NBA teams also think Nerlens is better than Jah, and Nerlens is about to get paid while Okafor is still under a rookie deal for 3.5 years. Too bad for Philly the NO trade wasn't as finalized as it appeared last week.

Bulls are probably making the playoffs unless they trade Butler/Gibson. There just aren't enough East teams with any consistency in that mix. On the flip side the battle is looking outrageous for the West 8 seed now.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #445
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Seems to be traction on PG13 to Boston. Love deadline day! I'm not even sure it's the right move depending on package, but fun times.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #446
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I wonder if the Warriors have any interest in picking Bogut up if he is bought out? Would be amazing to get him back.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #447
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But does it roll over to 2018 or turn into a 2nd? If it turns into a 2nd then LOL indeed at the Sixers "getting a 1st round pick".

Zach Low says it converts to two 2nd round picks if not conveyed.
(Just happened to notice that on espn.com)
Old 02-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #448
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I wonder if the Warriors have any interest in picking Bogut up if he is bought out? Would be amazing to get him back.

I don't believe they can. Read somewhere that he can't re-sign with them for 1yr. Might have misread that though.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #449
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
I don't believe they can. Read somewhere that he can't re-sign with them for 1yr. Might have misread that though.

Correct, based on this article from an hour ago anyway

Why Andrew Bogut can't return to the Warriors this season
Old 02-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #450
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Happy that the Wizards didn't do anything crazy but still were able to strengthen the bench with Bogdonavich and got rid of Nicholson's horrible contract. Thanks Brooklyn.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote