Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #401
Ryan S
Quarterback

I heard an interview with the head of the English players union who mentioned that most top players would negotiate net salary with teams, rather than gross salary.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #402
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Yeah, I've seen that with most European contracts (including basketball) the amount reported is the amount the player makes after taxes. So A-Rod would "only" be making ~15 million a year over here, more in line with what gets reported for Ronaldo, Kaka etc.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #403
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Chelsea banned from signing new players the next two transfer windows!?!

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | C | Chelsea | Chelsea get lengthy transfer ban
Old 09-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #404
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow. that's harsh (yet awesome)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #405
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
UEFA has given Eduardo a two-game ban for his dive against Celtic. I like it if they plan to do this all season for dives missed by the referee but don't like it if they are just making an example of the guy.

Early numbers suggest that diving is down by 18% in the EPL. This has been attributed to Cristiano Ronaldo not being in the EPL anymore.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #406
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Fouls must be down by the same amount, if not more.

Crazy news on Chelsea's transfer ban, hopefully it sticks.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #407
whomario
Pro Starter

swiss club Sion was hit with the same ruling last year after signing a player that was still under contract, took it to the CAS and as of now are still allowed to buy players with a ruling expected at the end of the year.

So donīt expect this to go into effect now or even ever.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #408
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I would expect it to get reduced to no January spending this year, isn't that the MO for FIFA/UEFA? They seem to back down a lot.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #409
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like UEFA/FIFA have a huge hardon for reducing England's dominance in Europe.

First Platini threatens to bar Man City from Europe if their books are not in order, then Chelsea, now this apparently.

Manchester United could face similar transfer ban to Chelsea | Football - Times Online
Old 09-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #410
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The weaker pound and higher tax rates recently set in England will do that without any kind of transfer bans.

The ban will stop people questioning what the Glazers are doing with all the Ronaldo money (paying off their insane debts) if it goes through and is not settled/appealed.

Last edited by Big Fo : 09-03-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #411
Ryan S
Quarterback

It would not surprise me if most major teams in Europe face similar cases in the coming year or so.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #412
Blade6119
Coordinator

Man U isnt in any trouble here, and Le Havre havent submitted any claim to FIFA...i really believe this is a case where Havre is upset, but dont have any actual case to back it up. From what I understand, the club felt they had a verbal agreement with the parents, the parents thought otherwise. Thats a lot different then the Chelsea situation where the player had a written contract he breached out of.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #413
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
It would not surprise me if most major teams in Europe face similar cases in the coming year or so.
Exactly. Chelsea won't be the last in the news, providing the suspension is going to stick.

On a similar note, rumor has it that the European top teams association is considering to boot Real Madrid because of the way they (mis)manage their finances, throwing money left and right, despite being $1,000,000,000 in the red. But then a pot-kettle situation arises. Teams like Bayern Munchen, Internazionale and AC Milan still pay them 15-25M for a single player, while being in the red themselves, while Man Utd chipped in by making no issues about receiving absurd amounts of money to cover their own depts.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #414
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Man U isnt in any trouble here, and Le Havre havent submitted any claim to FIFA...i really believe this is a case where Havre is upset, but dont have any actual case to back it up. From what I understand, the club felt they had a verbal agreement with the parents, the parents thought otherwise. Thats a lot different then the Chelsea situation where the player had a written contract he breached out of.
That does not compute. Man U has no business agreeing terms with parents in the first place. I thought the European top teams had agreed to stop the dealing in youth players?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #415
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
That does not compute. Man U has no business agreeing terms with parents in the first place. I thought the European top teams had agreed to stop the dealing in youth players?

I read that FIFA wanted to stop European teams from bringing in African teenagers by the boatload, many of whom never make it as a pro and then have no place to go. afaik there isn't a similar agreement for players already in Europe.

Man Utd might still be in trouble over Pogba because the player signed a pre-contract that states he would sign a youth contract when Le Harve once he was old enough at the end of this season. Apparently this is legal, which I don't quite get. If you're too young to sign a contract how are you old enough to sign a contract which binds you to signing a contract later on? Anyway Le Havre have complained to the press but have yet to go to FIFA as Lens did. Man Utd claim to be within all UEFA guidelines. If anything I bet they agree on a fee to settle the matter. I'd also bet on Chelsea's punishment being reduced to a signing ban for the January transfer window only, like what happened to Roma a few years ago over the Mexes transfer.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #416
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

USA-El Salvador tonight -- 8pm est on ESPN Classic
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #417
NiteMaestro
High School JV

ACK!!

VTech vs. Bama, or US vs. ElSalvador....

*sighs*
NiteMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #418
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Easy choice. Watch the soccer to start, check out the college football during halftime, switch back, then after soccer catch the latter part of the third and all of the fourth quarter.

edit to add: I'll also have Argentina - Brazil (9:30 ET) on the computer as well, that's usually a fun matchup.

Last edited by Big Fo : 09-05-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #419
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

El Salvador take 1-0 after some shitty defending by the US. Bornstein had a lousy clearance and Howard was too far off the line to stop the header from Castillo (that's who I think it was at least). When I said earlier in this thread that I was confident of the US advancing I was counting on them winning this.

Davies just came close for the US, Dempsey missed a good chance earlier, but they haven't created much else.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #420
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Dempsey, WAKE THE FUCK UP!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #421
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Ugh, a really easy miss from Dempsey followed by one cleared off the line. At least they've woken up.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #422
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Thank you.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #423
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Redemption for Dempsey, he didn't miss that header. Four Americans were offside but he wasn't one of them. Good reffing. 1-1.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #424
NiteMaestro
High School JV

What channel is the game on? I'm prolly gonna switch back and forth between that and the Hokie/Tide game.

I like soccer... but I'm a HUGE Hokie fan.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #425
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Who's leading our group again? If I remember, U.S. was tied for 3rd with Mexico or something...?
Old 09-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #426
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The game is on ESPN Classic.

Standings

Jozy <3

2-1 USA just before halftime. Great response after a shitty opening half hour.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #427
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Nice...
So how much does this game matter? Tiebreaker?

(and will mexico make it to the world cup? I have friends from there and root for 'em, as long as they don't play US)
Old 09-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #428
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Top three qualify, number four plays the fifth placed team from South America in a playoff home and away.

This is a game the US needs to win because after this they'll have three left, two of those on the road, and El Salvador is one of the weaker teams in the group along with Trinidad and Tobago.

Last edited by Big Fo : 09-05-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #429
NiteMaestro
High School JV

I like how the 'division' (or is it region) is very close. Makes for good soccer
Old 09-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #430
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Curious... I've heard that Adu has been rather disappointing... What do you guys think/say?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #431
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMaestro View Post
Curious... I've heard that Adu has been rather disappointing... What do you guys think/say?

He's had some good moments for the US team but was very disappointing in this summer's Gold Cup. He hasn't been able to get regular playing time at club level for some time now but Benfica have loaned him out to a smaller Portuguese team named Belenenses where everyone hopes he'll get a chance to play. Last year he was loaned to Monaco in the French league but the guy who brought him over was fired or left (forget which) soon after and he didn't fit into the new manager's formation so it was a wasted season.

Altidore has taken over as the guy we all hope can become a star.

Damn I thought he just scored again but it got waived off. It sure as hell wasn't offsides. Maybe Dempsey sliding through the defender after his pass? I don't think that was a foul either. Typical CONCACAF bullshit.

Last edited by Big Fo : 09-05-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #432
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Does he still have the potential? or is he getting old? I know he's only 20, but still, potential can only be developed for so long...
Old 09-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #433
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
He's had some good moments for the US team but was very disappointing in this summer's Gold Cup. He hasn't been able to get regular playing time at club level for some time now but Benfica have loaned him out to a smaller Portuguese team named Belenenses where everyone hopes he'll get a chance to play. Last year he was loaned to Monaco in the French league but the guy who brought him over was fired or left (forget which) soon after and he didn't fit into the new manager's formation so it was a wasted season.

Altidore has taken over as the guy we all hope can become a star.

Damn I thought he just scored again but it got waived off. It sure as hell wasn't offsides. Maybe Dempsey sliding through the defender after his pass? I don't think that was a foul either. Typical CONCACAF bullshit.

I've heard about Altidore... A pleasant surprise I must say
Old 09-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #434
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It seems like Adu hasn't really gotten stronger or faster since he was 15 or 16, he still has good skill on the ball but doesn't make the best decisions and is turnover-prone. He doesn't contribute much defensively either.

IMO he can still become a good national team player but I don't think he'll become a star in one of the better European leagues like everyone hoped. The lack of playing time is holding him back, he should have stayed in MLS longer.

Dang Dempsey could have a hat-trick tonight, he just shot straight at the keeper after being put clean through. A very frustrating evening despite the current scoreline.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #435
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
It seems like Adu hasn't really gotten stronger or faster since he was 15 or 16, he still has good skill on the ball but doesn't make the best decisions and is turnover-prone. He doesn't contribute much defensively either.

IMO he can still become a good national team player but I don't think he'll become a star in one of the better European leagues like everyone hoped. The lack of playing time is holding him back, he should have stayed in MLS longer.

Dang Dempsey could have a hat-trick tonight, he just shot straight at the keeper after being put clean through. A very frustrating evening despite the current scoreline.

Yeah. A lot of missed opportunities.
Though I like the promise we show.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #436
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Brazil is doing pretty damn well in Argentina tonight! I'm surprised. I expected a closer game.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #437
Blade6119
Coordinator

This could conceivably knock Argentina out of the WC, they really needed some points out of this game. They can still move on, but its MUCH harder now
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #438
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Argentina out of the WC?
I wouldn't complain. :P
Old 09-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #439
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

If Argentina loses and Colombia - Ecuador doesn't end in a draw then Argentina will be in fifth place. I don't fancy the #4 CONCACAF team's chances against them in a playoff so that makes it even more important to finish in the top three. And I bet Maradona wouldn't be around for that playoff.

Last edited by Big Fo : 09-05-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #440
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Some tense moments in the last ten minutes, Howard with a big save followed by their keeper saving a bullet header from Torres. USA holds on to win 2-1, good stuff even if they should have won by more.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #441
NiteMaestro
High School JV

I'll take the win.
Though more points would help in the standings.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #442
Easy Mac

I've seen a lot of horrible concacaf officiating, but that game was the worst i've ever seen. They don't even bother hiding the bias for central american teams any more
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #443
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

haha Blanco is such a dirty cheat, Costa Rica defender's arm goes within a few inches of his face and he throws himself down clutching his forehead. This game has no rhythm, fouls are bring committed every 30 seconds almost. Still 0-0 and I'm not sure what result would best suit American interests.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #444
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Which game are you watching Big Fo?
Old 09-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #445
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Costa Rica - Mexico on Telemundo, been switching between that and Bama - VT.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #446
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Still 0-0 and I'm not sure what result would best suit American interests.
I have an opinion on that. Muck Fexico.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #447
NiteMaestro
High School JV

aww... come on....
Go Mexico.
I'd rather have them win and cause a lil drama in the standings.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #448
RainMaker
General Manager

A win is a win but they didn't look good at all. Defense is really shakey.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #449
RainMaker
General Manager

Wouldn't a tie work out in the U.S. favor? They essentially gain 2 points on each team. Otherwise I think a Mexico loss would be beneficial as they are the 4th place team.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #450
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
I have an opinion on that. Muck Fexico.

That accurately sums my personal sentiment but I was talking in mathematical terms.

Costa Rica win:

CRC 15
HON 13
USA 13
MEX 9

Draw:

CRC 13
HON 13
USA 13
MEX 10

Mexico win:

HON 13
USA 13
CRC 12
MEX 12

You're probably right mathematically as well as sentimentally now that I've added it up. Mexico took a 1-0 just before halftime though.